Glen Major - Bear Sighting Sheet- Mtbr.com

Mar 2004

Glen Major - Bear Sighting Sheet

On Saturday I noticed a Bear Sighting Sheet beside the trail map at Glen Mayor. No one had reported anything. Are these signs up because there has been sightings or just in case one occurs. I've rode at GM for years and this is the first time I've notice the sheet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

why worry

why worry about bear sighting sheets. Geez if they evebn tried to post a sheet here, it would be more like a huge book. We see bears all the time. Bears are usually more scared of humans . Just give them a wide berth if you do come across them. And please don't leave garbabge around for them to eat...thats how we end up with problem bears.

And yes... tuesday around 630 there was one just grazing in the ditch by the house.....whop de dooooo....... thats just a normal day around here

SASQUATCH!
    Some day I'll be as cool as skihillguy. I'll see bears playing in my front yard and tell you guys about it like it makes me better than you or something.

Until then, I'll understand the post by Ajax as a simple question---out of curiosity instead of worry---as to whether there are any bears around Glen Major to even warrant a sighting sheet. It's a bit odd.

As for a definitive answer Ajax, sorry, I don't have one for you.

LBS Manager
    Anyone who is not concerned about bears in the area where they ride is foolish. I am not saying we should be scared or panic but if you ride where there have been recent bear sighting I would be carfull and take every percaution. As bear human contact becomes more frequent there are bound to be more attacks. If they keep seeing us in their domain they will eventualy loose their natural fear of us and when that happens we are on the menu.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I was at three(3) rocks tonight and saw the same sign.

Wasn't sure what to make of it.

I have also been riding this area for the last 10 years or so and have never even heard of anyone seeing bears.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax
    On Saturday I noticed a Bear Sighting Sheet beside the trail map at Glen Mayor. No one had reported anything. Are these signs up because there has been sightings or just in case one occurs. I've rode at GM for years and this is the first time I've notice the sheet.
    I was considering filling it up with bear sightings for fun on Saturday. I'm sure I've seen bear scat there but never a bear.

I was also considering writing down all the chipmunk sightings too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Hair Boy
    Anyone who is not concerned about bears in the area where they ride is foolish. I am not saying we should be scared or panic but if you ride where there have been recent bear sighting I would be carfull and take every percaution. As bear human contact becomes more frequent there are bound to be more attacks. If they keep seeing us in their domain they will eventualy loose their natural fear of us and when that happens we are on the menu.
    For us seeing bears is a natural everyday occurence. We live in there habitat. We have to take precautions with garbage and food so that the bears do not become accustomed to eating human food.
    At this time of the year bears are still low in the valley since the berries have not come out. They are eating the grass and whatever else they can.

Bears sill have a natural fear of us. That will not change. However if they feel threatened by us...such as being too close when they have there cubs around, or getting between there cubs and a mother...then that is whenn bears become more dangerous. Bears also become more dangerous when they get acustomed to human food sources. Out here we have to take more precautions to bearproof garbage containers. Even our dumps have electric fences around hem to deter bears.
    When was the last time you saw any municipality back in cottage country put electric fences around the dump to keep bears from becoming dependant on human food sources??? The last time i knew people go to the dump to watch the bears rummaging through all the food. Is that a smart thing to allow to happen????

Bears and humans can co exist. We need not live in fear of them. I know that there have been a couple of icidents the last couple of years. Grizzlie are a different bunch altogether. Even that bear just recently, in Banff...they are not sure why it attacked the biker. So lets not speculate on that with guesses.

Lets just all be bear smart. If you take food into the trails with you then please bring out all your garbage and don't leave any unatural food sources for the bears. They do well with there regular diets and don't need us to help them

LBS Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by skihillguy
    For us seeing bears is a natural everyday occurence. We live in there habitat. We have to take precautions with garbage and food so that the bears do not become accustomed to eating human food.
    At this time of the year bears are still low in the valley since the berries have not come out. They are eating the grass and whatever else they can.

Bears sill have a natural fear of us. That will not change. However if they feel threatened by us...such as being too close when they have there cubs around, or getting between there cubs and a mother...then that is whenn bears become more dangerous. Bears also become more dangerous when they get acustomed to human food sources. Out here we have to take more precautions to bearproof garbage containers. Even our dumps have electric fences around hem to deter bears.
    When was the last time you saw any municipality back in cottage country put electric fences around the dump to keep bears from becoming dependant on human food sources??? The last time i knew people go to the dump to watch the bears rummaging through all the food. Is that a smart thing to allow to happen????

Bears and humans can co exist. We need not live in fear of them. I know that there have been a couple of icidents the last couple of years. Grizzlie are a different bunch altogether. Even that bear just recently, in Banff...they are not sure why it attacked the biker. So lets not speculate on that with guesses.

Lets just all be bear smart. If you take food into the trails with you then please bring out all your garbage and don't leave any unatural food sources for the bears. They do well with there regular diets and don't need us to help them
    I agree with most of what you said but bears will eventually loose their natual fear of us as they see more and more people in their habitat. It has already started to happen with cougars in the western US. Also as we suck up their natural habitat for golf courses and subdivisions it becomes imposible for them to move away from us like they would most likly do if they could.
    Last edited by Johnny Hair Boy; 06-02-2006 at 06:59 AM.

mtbr member

Good point...

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Hair Boy
    I agree with most of what you said but bears will eventually loose their natual fear of us as they see more and more people in their habitat. It has already started to happen with cougars in the western US. Also as we suck up their natural habitat for golf courses and subdivisions it becomes imposible for them to move away from us like they would most likly do if they could. It has already started to happen with cougars in the western US
    Exactly. We continue to take up residence in their backyards and call it our own. We just have to remember that it is their land we continue to move into and to respect their presence by using caution and being responsible with human food sources.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Don't worry about the bears... Unless you're the slow one in the group, in which case you really need to recruite another slower rider to join you on your rides.

Members who have read this thread: 0