Glen Major (3 Rocks) update- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Glen Major (3 Rocks) update

Some of you have seen me posting here over the last while, and you may have noticed that it says I'm the IMBA rep for the Durham Region. One of the things that I do is to attend various meetings and committees on our behalf.

Last night was a meeting of the stewards of the Glen Major/Walker Woods properties. (aka 3 Rocks). Here is an update on issues of relevance to cycling.

Temporaray trail closure: there is a trail that has been closed in the South of Glen Major. This is not permanent. There is a tree down that poses a safety issue and the TRCA has closed that section of the trail until it can get an arborist to remove the tree safely.

Boardwalks (calm down): the TRCA has put in 3 board walks in one of the low lying we areas. At present there is a 6" - 8" elevation change to get up on to them since they are not flush with the ground. The plan is to build up a ramp out of wood chips. For now you can practice your skills.

Dagmar access: The TRCA has been talking with the Region of Durham about access off Lakeridge Road. The Region has taken a preliminary look and the good news is they didn't say no. The bad news is they want to take a closer look at things. So they are doing a more detailed study that will take 4-6 weeks. So we hopefully will have a definitive answer sometime in September.

Dagmar access 2: There has been an effort over the years to provide a connection between the TRCA property by the 3 Rocks parking lot and the Dagmar lands. To do that the TRCA has to negotiate with the local land owners to allow this since the only way to get there is to cross private land. This had stalled for a while for various reasons. Well there is reason for hope, as it looks like a key land owners is at least willing to talk about the possibilty.

That's all for now.
    If you ever have any concerns with any mountain biking or land access issues in the Region please get in touch with me and we'll see what can be done. This includes downed trees, trail obstructions, user conflicts, etc.
    Jason Murray
    Rep for Ontario, IMBA Canada
    Visit the IMBA Canada site to keep current on all things IMBA in Canada.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the update, Jason.

Is there anything we rider's can do to help? I don't know what an arborist is, but I have a chainsaw. (hey, i'm trying)
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies. :D

mtbr member

How to help

Unfortunately for those who want to get in there and use their chainsaw we aren't allowed to do that. The TRCA are the only ones who do chain saw work on their property.

But there are many other ways to help:

• The easiest way to help is to just be supportive. By this I don't mean you can't complain, by all means complain, but at least try to have a suggestion. And understand when not everything can be dealt with to everyone's satisfaction.
    • Join IMBA and your local bike club (DMBA). They are the best way to get representation to land managers, politicians, city staff, etc.
    • Come out and volunteer when the call goes out. Lend a hand whenever you can, even if it is only for an hour raking leaves.
    • Be a conscientious trail user, follow the IMBA rules of the trail, and in general treat other users politely.
    Jason Murray

Looking for Adventure
    Just got back from vacation.

Thanks for the update!!

I wonder why?

Lot's of trees down.....

I was at 3 Rock/Glen Major last Saturday morning and there were at least half a dozen large trees down across both the single track and double track. This was before the big storm moved in Saturday afternoon. Must have been a pretty wicked storm last week though.

i1dry?

mtbr member

Let me know about downed trees

Quote Originally Posted by i1dry
    I was at 3 Rock/Glen Major last Saturday morning and there were at least half a dozen large trees down across both the single track and double track. This was before the big storm moved in Saturday afternoon. Must have been a pretty wicked storm last week though.

Yeah I got a few reports. Please take a mental note of where there are tress down that need to be removed. I'll pass it along to the TRCA folks. You can contact me here by PM or via email.
    Jason Murray

Members who have read this thread: 0