Getting ready for winter?- Mtbr.com

Mar 2004

Getting ready for winter?

I can bare the cold but not cold+wet, which has been the weather in Toronto for the whole week. Hopefully there will be some sunshine, at least dry weather for the next 3-4 weeks for few more rides before snow hits the ground. Couple days ago I got myself a roller so I could keep my legs spinning for the winter. Using that damn thing for the first time was harder than I thought and had felt off a few times. But after getting use to it's really fun. Winters in the past were always, and only 2 things that interest me, ski on slope or work out on my ski conditioner, in which the latter is in fact, boring. I'm glad that I got my roller.

Looking for Adventure

Heh, don't stop in the winter!

When the temps start to get below 0 C, that is when the best riding starts.
    Trails get firm and dry, and the air feels less cold because all the dampness is dried out.

As long as the snow is not too deep, it is actually better than riding on damp summer days. Just wear the right clothes! (and you may consider warm hiking boots over cycling shoes, with platform pedals)

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricksom
    When the temps start to get below 0 C, that is when the best riding starts.
    Trails get firm and dry, and the air feels less cold because all the dampness is dried out.

As long as the snow is not too deep, it is actually better than riding on damp summer days. Just wear the right clothes! (and you may consider warm hiking boots over cycling shoes, with platform pedals)
    Exactly....some of the best riding is yet to come. Once the temps drop and the frost sets-in, the trails become rails!

Trails up here in Ottawa are pretty good. It's been cold-n-wet lately, but since we had such a dry summer, the trails dry-up pretty fast after a rain, but some spots aren't drying. The fall leaves are nearly all down and with the rain we've had lately, it makes for some pretty slick riding, especially in the technical rocky-n-rooty sections Kanata Lakes is notorious for. Those easy summer trails aren't quite the same anymore.

Then, when the snow inevitably comes, I'll just keep riding until it gets too deep. At that point, I'll strap on the XC-skis and hit the same trails. Once they snow has been compacted, I'll throw-on my Nokian Hakka WXC300s and hit the trails! There's no reason not to keep riding 365!

Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

almost there!

Smile It's not cold yet...

Hey Esmundo,

I live in Toronto too, and I've been commuting to work this week on my mountain bike and it's not that cold, in fact the coolness helps prevent you from sweating. Just make sure you're exerting yourself hard enough and you'll stay warm, but also make sure you're dressed right, some people like to underdress - what I mean is they know they will be cold if they stop for a while but while their going they will stay warm, I prefer to wear a little more so that I'm a little warmer than I have to be.

Riding indoors is so boring, I just don't do it. I will start swimming and maybe even jogging. And maybe once a week go for a ride outdoors even if the snow is a little deep - just put some good knobby tires on and you should be fine.

Unfortunately I will have to stay off the bike after this weekend for a month or so, so that I can let a recurring injury heal once and for all. I think it'll be the pool for me for the next little while until I'm all healed up.

Save your rollers for when it's -10 celsius, that's around my cut off temperature.

Live 4 2day

Winter can be tough....

.....just find different routes or shorten the time with the cold. What I find hard is working 9 to 5 and getting home when it is dark. Thus there is no more Monday to Friday evening rides; and work requires that I have wheels so there is no commuting. That is life.

JG

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    So the single/double track trails will be good before the snow falls (or for some, after)?

I'm new to mountain biking this year and haven't been on dirt for 2+ weeks. I figured with all of the rain the trails would be very muddy...I don't like very muddy.

When should I expect them to be firm and not "too" muddy? Also, any special tires for this type of riding, or would regular knobbies be fine?

Lastly, anyone been to Albion lately...and what's it like?

almost there!
    Quote Originally Posted by noonievut
    So the single/double track trails will be good before the snow falls (or for some, after)?

I'm new to mountain biking this year and haven't been on dirt for 2+ weeks. I figured with all of the rain the trails would be very muddy...I don't like very muddy.

When should I expect them to be firm and not "too" muddy? Also, any special tires for this type of riding, or would regular knobbies be fine?

Lastly, anyone been to Albion lately...and what's it like?
    I was at Albion on Saturday and it was great, in fact most of the trails are covered in leaves so it's not muddy but be careful because they can be slippery if you're going through a turn at high speed. The leaves slide against each other.

Most trails are dry enough within a day or 2 after a rainfall depending on how long it rained for. Sometimes the soil soaks up all the water and it's not muddy at all.

You definitely want to use a knobby tire this time of year as opposed to a semi-slick.