Gears in Oakville- Mtbr.com
    X-Ray Guy

Gears in Oakville

Was flipping through my canadian cycling magazine when i noticed something on the Felt advertisment page. It listed all its Canadian store locations and under ontario it listed Gears Bike Shop 3 times. Apparently Gears is expanding to both Oakville somewhere on Trafalgar and somewhere in Toronto. Oakville site is to open something at the end of this month apparently. Tried to get more info online but could only find this article http://www.westofthecity.com/article.../Cycling-Clubs

Anybody know much else?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Interesting news. They've added a bunch more brands to their offering this year as well.

I'm surprised that they think the GTA market can support two more bike shops.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinPro
    Interesting news. They've added a bunch more brands to their offering this year as well.

I'm surprised that they think the GTA market can support two more bike shops.
    They will be opening up a training facility as part of the Oakville store apparently. I think they are looking at expanding their services from the typical "shop offerings".
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

mtbr member
    is this a result of the zip-tie revenue?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Not sure where the Oakville shop will be but I heard that the Toronto one will be on Laird near Eglinton. The closet current shop I can think of is the Trek store on Yonge.

My LBS, Sweet Pete's just opened a second location in the Annex as well so maybe there is room for a couple more shops.

mtbr member
    Also a new shop opening on Lakeshore Road in Bronte,, Wheels of Oakville,It wasn't open yet last time I was by there. I'd heard it was connected to Wheels of Bloor, but not mentioned on their website..
    Maybe too many bikeshops in Oakville soon??

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by nspace
    is this a result of the zip-tie revenue?
    Is this an inside joke? Or is there more to this story?

Quote Originally Posted by BloorwestSiR
    Not sure where the Oakville shop will be but I heard that the Toronto one will be on Laird near Eglinton. The closet current shop I can think of is the Trek store on Yonge.

My LBS, Sweet Pete's just opened a second location in the Annex as well so maybe there is room for a couple more shops.
    Sandy's Cycles and Endurosport are both on Laird.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinPro
    Is this an inside joke? Or is there more to this story?
    Not really. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=632420

X-Ray Guy
    I think oakville can support a few more high end bike shops. Im sure a lot of their port credit customers come from the oakville area. Add the interesting point of a full training centre and it could be a very interesting dynamic. I also noticed Gears was carrying more brands. Few years ago it was 90% Specialized and 10% Giant to fill in the low end offerings. Now its still mostly Specialized but they carry all levels of Giant, high end Felt and Pinarello.

www.sirbikealotracing.com
    Oakville bike shops = dogs breakfast
    : : :http://sirbikealotracing.com/ : : : : : : : : :

www.eastcoastopen.com
    DH/XC/Dual

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sirbikealot
    Oakville bike shops = dogs breakfast
    I guess that depends on your experience. Gears is my "go to" shop and I have had nothing but positive experiences there. Probably relative to the money I have spent there the past couple of years.
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

www.sirbikealotracing.com
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmeister
    I guess that depends on your experience. Gears is my "go to" shop and I have had nothing but positive experiences there. Probably relative to the money I have spent there the past couple of years.
    Its not a comment on Gears or any shop for that matter, its a comment on the fact that there are way to many shops now in that small city... 150000 people can't support 5 bike shops, somebody is going down.
    : : :http://sirbikealotracing.com/ : : : : : : : : :

www.eastcoastopen.com
    DH/XC/Dual

X-Ray Guy
    Yes but Mississauga has 800,000 people and only about 4 decent bikes shops. Not many shops in the eastern parts of burlington as well. If you drive down Dundas street and see how many 100s of house are going up I think they wont have many issues sustaining themselves.

mtbr member
    Tell me of these decent bike shops in Mississauga you speak of.

X-Ray Guy
    Gears in port credit
    Via Cyclante in Streetsville
    Cyclepath on burhamthorpe is mostly family orientated/geared but has the usual small bits
    Bike Zone- some are fans of what they carry

mtbr member
    There are two issues at play. First, whether sales in the greater-greater Toronto area are growing. And second, where those customers are located. If the number of shops is growing faster than the volume of business is growing, for a new shop to thrive, an existing shop must suffer. Gears probably knows this and understands that if it opens a shop in Oakville, it will obviously lose business in its Port Credit location. Other shops will also lose business, but that is not Gears' problem.

My guess is that some of the new shops are going to do well, but there will be a hit on some existing shops as the overall business is spread more thinly. I plan to have plenty of available room on my credit cards this Autumn, there will be some good deals to be had from shops that have overstocked this season.

X-Ray Guy
    I was at Gears in port credit shopping for a new mountain bike and just asked one of the employees whats going on with the oakville store. I was told they are really pushing hard to open the Leaside store in Toronto and Oakville has a lot of work to go and no set timeline yet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by langford
    Also a new shop opening on Lakeshore Road in Bronte,, Wheels of Oakville,It wasn't open yet last time I was by there. I'd heard it was connected to Wheels of Bloor, but not mentioned on their website..
    Maybe too many bikeshops in Oakville soon??
    From: http://www.canadiancyclist.com/dailynews.php?id=21195

Wheels of Oakville opened yesterday.

I dd what you see there.
    Wait. Are we talking about Gears in Oakville or Wheels in Oakville?

Or are they the same thing?

This is too confusing. I think I'll keep to the stores in Hamilton.

:\

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Two different stores.

mtbr member
    How about Derailleurs in Oakville? ; )

GAME ON!
    Quote Originally Posted by XLNC

This is too confusing. I think I'll keep to the stores in Hamilton.

:\
    hammer city cycle is my new LBS thanks to its proximity. but we also lost a shop in the area.

X-Ray Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    hammer city cycle is my new LBS thanks to its proximity. but we also lost a shop in the area.

Interesting....never had a clue about hammer city cycles till now. What shop closed down? Im outta the loop now that i moved to mississauga

GAME ON!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jawz
    Interesting....never had a clue about hammer city cycles till now. What shop closed down? Im outta the loop now that i moved to mississauga
    mountain top bicycles on up. gage closed and hcc opened in february.

X-Ray Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    mountain top bicycles on up. gage closed and hcc opened in february.

Really??? Wow i used to be very good friends with the owener of the shop....I wonder if he sold off his shop. I noticed some similar brands between Mountain top and the new Hammer City

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jawz
    Bike Zone- some are fans of what they carry
    Easily one of the best around for boutique brands.
    Always remember - You are unique, just like everyone else.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    2 questions and just looking for a recommendation or two:

1. Looking for a good retailer in Oakville for mountain biking gear - might even be in the market for a new bike and...
    2. Any suggestions for a list of upcoming cycling events in Oakville?

Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by throwster View Post
    2 questions and just looking for a recommendation or two:

1. Looking for a good retailer in Oakville for mountain biking gear - might even be in the market for a new bike and...
    2. Any suggestions for a list of upcoming cycling events in Oakville?

Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
    1. Your best bet for gear is likely mail order from the US or UK
    2. This thread is a sticky:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/eastern-canad...le-759364.html
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2019 Scott Foil 10 Disc
    2019 Norco Search XR Steel
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6

X-Ray Guy
    well i happened to be coming home from dinner in oakville driving down trafalgar from lakeshore heading to the QEW ramp when i out of nowhere saw a giant GEARs trailer and than saw Gears Oakville OPEN signs around it. Went in to check it out. Nice open concept store. Bikes are displayed with skid pallet material. Hard to describe. Shop had a ton of cannondale bikes which i had not noticed before in Gears port credit. Was hoping this location would be a heavier Giant store but i guess Oakville cycle path is Giant heavy. Road bikes were a mix of cannondale, spec, pinnarello, some felt and stork and a few brands i had not seen before. Mountain bikes were basically all Cannondale.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I noticed it the other night too.. What blows me away is that building used to be a Chevy dealership.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jawz View Post
    well i happened to be coming home from dinner in oakville driving down trafalgar from lakeshore heading to the QEW ramp when i out of nowhere saw a giant GEARs trailer and than saw Gears Oakville OPEN signs around it. Went in to check it out. Nice open concept store. Bikes are displayed with skid pallet material. Hard to describe. Shop had a ton of cannondale bikes which i had not noticed before in Gears port credit. Was hoping this location would be a heavier Giant store but i guess Oakville cycle path is Giant heavy. Road bikes were a mix of cannondale, spec, pinnarello, some felt and stork and a few brands i had not seen before. Mountain bikes were basically all Cannondale.
    I gotta check out the new location in Oakville. When shopping for my new SuperSix,
    recently just visited the Laird area one and found it to be a very nice all around store. The Cannondale is fully represented at that store as were the other high end ones and I guess the Oakville one is along that line.
    I was told the Miss store would only carry some of the higher end names. Always heard that Gears was this or that but have found them to be very helpful and accommodating.

mtbr Decade+
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    hammer city cycle is my new LBS thanks to its proximity...
    To say nothing of their knowledge, customer service and fair prices.

I've been to Hammer City and am very impressed. I've also recomended three friends to HCC and all have seemed very impressed.

FWIW, HCC is located behind the old LCBO on Upper James. Good central mountain location, but poor road frontage. Zero road frontage.
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

Members who have read this thread: 0