Gatineau Park's Parkways to be Closed Overnight to Motor Vehicles- Mtbr.com
    trail gnome

Gatineau Park's Parkways to be Closed Overnight to Motor Vehicles

Gatineau Parks's Parkways Closed Overnight - National Capital Commission

The roadways are to be closed overnight during the summer season (May - October) as part of a pilot project. The NCC says they are doing this "...to increase safety, as well as reduce user conflicts on the parkway network"

People were racing on the parkways at night, leading to accidents and death(s) last year. The parkways are popular with both drivers and cyclists, leading to conflicts between those two user groups.

I hope the closures will address the first problem, and partially address the second, as some road cyclists will take advantage of the closure to squeeze in an early training ride before the gates open in the morning, thus reducing cycle traffic later in the day. I expect wildlife will benefit as well from the break from motor vehicle traffic.

People will still be able to drive to the lookouts during the day and also to see the sunset. Also, the park will not be closed to pedestrians or cyclists, and will still be accessible from a number of parking lots and municipal roads.

I'd like to see the park completely close to private motor vehicles, and free shuttles provided instead to ferry people to the various lookouts, as they do in some US National Parks. But this is a first good step.
    Mountain bikers are generally a rational bunch...until someone moves a rock on our favorite trail and we lose our minds - LMN

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I once rode my cross bike down the parkway from Pink Lake back to town. Luckily no cars, just lots of bikes.

That was a crazy fast ride. It was wild.

I'm all for the closure if it means more freedom to bikes.

trail gnome
    The parkways are closed to motor traffic at other times as well. Every Sunday from 6 AM to 11 AM from Victoria Day Weekend to Labour Day Weekend and also after the first snowfall in the fall or late-ish October, until the snow is completely melted or mid-ish May in Spring. Sections of parkway are closed for special events, and they also close a short section of Gatineau Parkway on Saturday mornings and one weekday evening.

The parkways still have lots of snow on them from the ski season this year. They might be snow free in another week or two. I think I read somewhere that the NCC won't be opening them up to motor vehicle traffic until May 17th this year.
    Mountain bikers are generally a rational bunch...until someone moves a rock on our favorite trail and we lose our minds - LMN

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by ray.vermette View Post
    I'd like to see the park completely close to private motor vehicles, and free shuttles provided instead to ferry people to the various lookouts
    Highly unlikely due
    1. Number of private properties in the Park (mainly around Meech lake).
    2. Business activities at Camp Fortune (DH biking & zip-lines)
    3. Loss of parking fees (Meech & Philippe lakes plus others) - I've read about $3M per year.

Closing parkways for cars is probably more feasible.

trail gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by borisotto View Post
    Closing parkways for cars is probably more feasible.
    That's what I meant, really. I should have been more specific.