Garbage on the trails at Albion- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Garbage on the trails at Albion

Rode Albion a couple of times this week and couldn't help but notice the amount of garbage littering the trails. It was mostly gel packs and power bar wrappers but also quite a few store bought water bottles. The worst of it seem to be on the trails that are seem to be used for the Tuesday night races.
    Come on people, if you can carry it in, you can carry it out!
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dgage View Post
    Come on people, if you can carry it in, you can carry it out!
    My thoughts exactly. My local trails have been seeing alot more "debris" along the way too. I've even seen inner tubes tossed on the side of the trails and in the trees, whats wrong with packing them out and patching them up once home?

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikin' Bric View Post
    My thoughts exactly. My local trails have been seeing alot more "debris" along the way too. I've even seen inner tubes tossed on the side of the trails and in the trees, whats wrong with packing them out and patching them up once home?
    Even if no intent to patch the tubes are then garbage. Discarding garbage on trails is pretty low. I've started up a bit of an "Ahem..." discussion or two on the trails with other riders, some of them just out for a casual ride, but other times fellow racers (not at Albion Hills) and am not shy about doing so when I see anyone doing something like this.
    Nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

mtbr member
    Brutal. I too have noticed a few of (what I had hoped to be accidentilly dropped water bottles) but in hind sight I know cyclists don't really use that format, water bottles this summer on teh single track.

Unfortunately gel packs are somewhat of a given there though it seems

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    There is a easy solution to the Gel wrapper issue and has been discussed before. But apparently it will disrupt their Zone 4 and Strava KOM if they do this.

humber river advocate
    I'll bring this issue up at the next Albion Hills PAC. Responsibility lies with the rider, followed by event promoter (if at the event) and lastly with the land owner.

Options:
    -increased signage/education of riders not to throw garbage on trails
    -enforcement of promoters to clean up after events (including trails)
    -community clean up day

some cool uses for old inner tubes:

bicycle inner tube reuses on Pinterest | 51 Pins

personally i like the suit of armor...

Garbage on the trails at Albion-7c3c8f41f09c9e1a332e1b73625e671b.jpg
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

Lemmy Rules!
    I race the odd Tuesday night at Albion and haven't really noticed this phenomenon at all. IMHO the Tuesday night Albion crowd, for the most part, are a pretty experienced bunch of riders and most of us know better. Anyone that doesn't, I would expect, would be told to smarten up. I really hope it's no-one in that crowd.
    Strava made me do it....

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    The Tuesday night races are only 45 minutes long. There's no need or time to have a gel or power bar during them - there's barely time for water. No matter who is responsible, though, there's no excuse for litter anywhere. Help tidy your forest - even if it's not your own litter!

mtbr member
    I have to concur with what Unglued wrote above - I too highly doubt that Tue Night Race Series crowd would be responsible here... First off, even the mention of the Tue Night races in the original post is unfair, as these races use different trail combinations on any given night, so to say that any trail sections in question here are used for TNRS singles out racers/promotor and suggests blame. Store bought bottles at races? Highly impractical and if anything, it would point to quite the opposite - more casual, recreational user.

If I were to guess, I'd put my money on occasional trail users, "Sunday riders", with little grasp (or care) of trail/environment etiquette.. the same kind that boot around singletrack on nice bikes but sans helmets... I seem to run into a few such riders every weekend.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    This isn't related to Albion, but I've also noticed over the last few seasons that there is a lot more trash on the trails. Namely Tim Horton's cups of all varieties. When are they going to make a cup that breaks down on its own?

The best trash is made by the people that pick up their dog's **** and then tie the poop filled bag to a tree branch. Come on, if you bag it then carry it out. Other wise just grab a stick and flick the poop off into the forest.

mtbr member
    If your racing your not going to notice it. I'm a fairly slow rider and do notice it. In fact if I'm riding with a group I'll mention something like "did you notice all the gel packs on that trail?" and most of them won't have a clue what I'm talking about.
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

More than a little slow
    I would hope that most of the empty store bought bottles that are lying around the trails have fallen out of bottle cages without the rider even noticing. I've lost expensive bike store water bottles that way. Gel wrappers are not so easy to explain away. Poop bags hanging from trees even less so.
    There's no easy solution, other than lead by example and pick the stuff up as often as you can. Having written this I'll have to make the effort myself now to stop and do just that.
    Cheers, Dave

mtbr member
    dskunk
    Quick tip if you are going to pick up discarded gel pack make sure you have a plastic bag to put them in to, they can make quite a sticky mess if they leak in the side pocket of your pack!

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by Dgage View Post
    If your racing your not going to notice it. I'm a fairly slow rider and do notice it. In fact if I'm riding with a group I'll mention something like "did you notice all the gel packs on that trail?" and most of them won't have a clue what I'm talking about.
    what also happens is that the critters try to get at the discarded gel packs and chew it up. tends to move it into the underbrush more. also when you use a leaf blower on the trail it blows the discarded packs/garbage further away from the trail...
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    Wow.

Ranks right up there with the numerous piles of human poo (with complimentary wads of TP) I saw when I rode Whopper Dropper when visiting Nova Scotia last week.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RSW42 View Post
    Wow.

Ranks right up there with the numerous piles of human poo (with complimentary wads of TP) I saw when I rode Whopper Dropper when visiting Nova Scotia last week.
    Whaaaaaaat? This is just crazy!
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by RSW42 View Post
    Wow.

lol, you should ride in the don...
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!