freeriding in toronto- Mtbr.com

Aug 2004

freeriding in toronto

Does anyone know any good freeridin spots in Toronto?

Mar 2004

If you don't mind pedalling...

try the Don trail system. Go north from Bayview and Pottery road as most of the stunts are accessible from south to north. There's lots 'o stuff in here, be sure to check all the trails out, high lines and low lines, as some of the bigger stuff is higher up Also Etobicoke creek north from Burnamthorpe to Eglington used to be good. I have not been there in a while. Some stunts were sick, some were lame and poorly built. Might be worth a look again.
    Quote Originally Posted by FR_RIDER00
    Does anyone know any good freeridin spots in Toronto?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    lambhead,

if you don't mind explaining to a newbie to the Don system, how exactly can I find these stunts. At Bayview and Pottery Rd, is there a trail head or something (any markings to watch for?)...I've taken some trails from around Pottery Rd (don't ask me to be specific, it was just random exploring), but didn't find any stunts other than the odd small log, barely worth hopping over

thx,

Shibby

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Don

At Pottery Road and Bayview (to the Northeast) you will see a trail starting up the hill from a parking lot. If you take this trail north you should come across a few obstacles / stunts.

Unfortunately there are no good markings. Another optional starting point is from the Loblaws which is located on Laird just south of the rail bridge. At the side of the parking lot, you'll see an access point to the trail - you can head either North or South from here.
    Finally, a third option is to Start from the North at Taylor Creek Park. If you head to the south parking lot you'll see an enterence to the main trail. Yet another option is to ride just north from this parking lot and cross the railway tracks (you'll see the access point, it's just past a bridge). If you ride this trail south you'll come across a great jump park that is hidden in the forest). My suggestion is to start from Taylor Creek park, there is a great chance of finding things heading south for your first time.

To find the good stuff you will need to explore off the main trail. The best suggestion is to ask while your on the trail. If your not coming across other riders, chances are, your not on the trail. Best times to head out are after work in the middle of the week.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the advice, natureboy. If the weather is better tomorrow (and we don't get much rain), I'll do some exploring.

Shibby

Mar 2004

give 'r a chance to dry out

or you'll find your inaugural Don ride really sh$tty. you can do it from north to south if you want but the best stunt and bridges and designed from south to north. the main lines are well worn. if you just keep following the most travelled path you'll hit most of the good stuff.
    QUOTE=Shibby]Thanks for the advice, natureboy. If the weather is better tomorrow (and we don't get much rain), I'll do some exploring.

Shibby[/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, the rain this morning kind of put a damper on things. Hopefully things dry out by Sunday!

Jun 2004
    You can check out Kelso, they have some monster drops and the like. I would not even think of trying them. A friend and I opted to take the double black diamond (expert) thinking it would be nothing much. Well, we came to a stop pretty quick to look off the edge of a 12' drop with haybails all over the place. When they say expert, the sign really means it.

There is also Hilton Falls, which anyone can ride but most will walk, it is good fun.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Shibby,

You might also want to try another trail just north of the Don trail. At the entrance / exit of the Don Trail at Taylor Creek Park (in the parking lot), ride north, and just before the bridge you will see a trail entrance on your left side.

This trail has some steep climbs and descents, lots of bridges and is very well maintained. There are a lot of other trails off the main trail. This trail will take you right up to Sunnybrook park.

I just rode this on the weekend (I don't know how I ever missed it), but it was great. Well maintained and a good challenge (if you like climbing and riding alot of off camber stuff).