Forest Angels Have Created New Trail System- Mtbr.com
    Looking for Adventure

Good job! Forest Angels Have Created New Trail System

I thought I would not see the day when a new trail system would open up specifically for mountain biking.

As posted in the news section of Chico Racing's website:

" New Mountain Bike Trails in King Township!

The Township of King, in co-operation with the International Mountain Bicycling Association, IMBA, are pleased to announce the opening of a new, Mountain Bike specific trail system within their township.

The Township of King, in co-operation with the International Mountain Bicycling Association, IMBA, are pleased to announce the opening of a new, Mountain Bike specific trail system within their township. In a time when more trails seem to be closing than are being created, the organizers of the project are excited about the upcoming grand opening.
    The grand opening is scheduled for Wednesday, July 19, between 6 and 9:00 pm. Families and bike enthusiasts alike are invited, free of charge, to ride the new trails and take part in the festivities that include a free BBQ. Bikes will be available to take for a ride, and some representatives from the bike industry including Chico Racing will be on hand to take part and ride a lap.
    The new trail system is located at the old Centennial Park lands, just south of the Aurora Side Road at 14855 Jane St. Look for the radio tower and two large stone pillars that outline the park’s entrance.

Hope to see you out! "

And it is free and supported by the municipality. Reminds me of the good old days.
    Will be away on vacation, but post some reviews please.

bi-winning
    Yay, that is good news! Indeed it does seem that more trails are closing than opening. To see MTB trails open is great.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Mar 2006
    damn...I may have to check that one out....am on holidays that week and will be in that area!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    This is Great news. Does anyone have more info than what is on Chicos web site? How long is the trail?

mtbr member

Built by Sustainable Trails

These trails were built back in April by Sustainable Trails. I rode them when there were very new and they had good flow even then. Now that they are a bit more polished I'll be happy to see how they turned out.

They are about 6-7km of intermediate level single track. And while they were built with mountain biking in mind they are still intended to be multi-use trails.

BTW they were built using IMBA techniques, not "cut the lawn, wack down a few trees" techniques. Please go ride them and post your thoughts. I'll relay them to the Sustainable Trails folks.
    Jason Murray
    Rep for Ontario, IMBA Canada
    Visit the IMBA Canada site to keep current on all things IMBA in Canada.

mtbr member
    NEW TRAIL?!?!??!??! YEEEEEE HAAAAAAWWWWWWW!

Wednesday at 6? I'm in, baby!

Thanks for posting Rick!!!!!!
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies. :D

Looking for Adventure
    By the way, how is the Dagmar trail access coming along Jason??

Mar 2006
    Anyone care to post a map to this place? How far north of toronto is it?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Best way there is take 400 north to King rd. exit right, & the first set of lights is Jane St. Turn left heading North. It will be on your right. Look for a Communication tower.

mtbr member

Still waiting on the traffic study

Quote Originally Posted by Ricksom
    By the way, how is the Dagmar trail access coming along Jason??
    We're still waiting to hear back from the Region on the traffic study. There is a stewardship meeting on Tuesday and I hope to hear some (good) news then.

But it is summer and things move even slower in the summer. Please be patient.
    Jason Murray

mtbr member
    BUMP! Just a friendly reminder to all.

mtbr member

Grand opening tonight

I'd love to be there but I'm meeting with the Greenwood Stewards.
    Jason Murray

Hack Racer
    How many kms is the trials in total? By chance would anyone know more about the route?

mtbr member

A total of 6.5km

If I'm remembering right the intermediate/advanced stuff is a total of 6.5km. It is a stacked loop system. Coming out of the parking lot you have an intermediate loop that can be ridden in either direction. About half way along that is an expert loop that can be ridden in both directions as well.

Sorry I'm not sure of the distances of each loop.

If you want more be sure to tell the township, after you thank them for the efforts they've already put in. 6.5km of trails built by machine is not cheap and they'll want to see if their investment will pay off.

I believe that there is a beginner trail as well, but from what I was told that is simply mowed lawn.
    Jason Murray

mtbr member
    I like it! It's short, sweet and to the point. Meaning, shut up, ride and have fun!

Here's the breakdown;

Access - you'll want to be carefull when entering the parking lot. Driver's LOVE to speed along Jane Street and if you're not carefull you'll easily miss the entrance or cause an accident. Please, miss the entrance and double back - it's safer! You'll want to be looking for the tall tower that's part of the property - let it be your guide.

There's a good size parking lot, with plenty of parking on either side of the driveway atop a mowed lawn. Also, two port-a-potties are there, although i'm not sure if they're a permanent fixture or not - sorry, forgot to ask.

Layout - call it a tri-loop stacked system. There's a beginner, intermediate and advanced loop. Each loop is accessed halfway through the easier loop, so - you need to ride halfway through the beginner to get to the intermediate, then ride halfway through the intermediate to get to the advnaced. To get out you need to do the opposite. As Jason pointed out - you can ride each loop in either direction - not that you couldn't anyways, but they're cut in a way that's it's fun both ways.

As mentioned - it's SHORT! Beginner is 1 km total, part mowed lawn and part cut trail. FRESH cut trail, so right now it's loose, almost sandy, but it'll improve with useage (get out there!). Very flat, no climbs.

The intermediate loop is 2 km total, all cut trail weaving through trees and such. Again, fresh cut trail, BUT it's more packed than the beginner loop. No real climbs worth mentioning. There's some trail debris that needs maintaining, but this will be taken care of with time and useage. Good flow to be found here.

The advanced loop is 2 km total. Same type of terrain as the intermediate, but with some climbing. Better flow then the intermediate, with a few REAL berms (like 2 feet tall - damn they are F-U-N!), not that sissy Albion Gnarly Berms stuff. More trail debris than the intermediate and parts of this section could do with some smoothing out (small ups and downs that totally kill momentum and flow), but still fun nonetheless.

Again, I can't stress this enough - it's SHORT! Don't go there expecting anything like Albion or Kelso or Kolapore ..... you WILL be sorely disappointed. Now, if you wanna go there and run 3 or 4 loops to make it 15 or 20 km of fun and flowy riding then you'll be okay. (actually, I could go there and run the advanced all day just to hit those berms ..... **** they're fun. It's strange to have the bike sideways and looking UP to see where you need to go!)

The food was really good, too. Those sausages were yummy! Ummm, the cooks were, too. Great atmosphere, a decent turn out (60 - 70 riders?) and a fun time to be had.

Okay, that's all I can blab. I'll wait untill it's a bit more packed to take any pics for y'all to see what it looks like. I'll update then.

bi-winning
    Thanks for the report Andrew. I really like the idea of building new trails. I don't want to sound all negative and stuff, but it almost seems like a waste. There is no way i will be riding there in the near future. Obviously not something worth making a trip for on its own. But, for anybody who is located close, i hope you enjoy it.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    Thanks for the report Andrew. I really like the idea of building new trails. I don't want to sound all negative and stuff, but it almost seems like a waste. There is no way i will be riding there in the near future. Obviously not something worth making a trip for on its own. But, for anybody who is located close, i hope you enjoy it.
    I don't think your comments are negative at all, Ryan. Not one bit. It would be absurd for someone like yourself who live's in the Niagara region to come up all this way for just this network. I call it being realistic, if anything.

Now, if you were in the area making a day in something along the way ..... then you could always stop in and check it out. At the very least it wouldn't take you long to get through it. See? Positive.

Also, something like this should show the "big shots" that even smaller networks like this can be beneficial - to the locals.Think of the younger kids in the area that need a place to go - better than the street (or in that area, minor highway!) and cheaper than Wonderland.

This is why I psoted with such detail - to give everyone a good idea of what to expect.

BTW, all - I believe it doesn't need to be said this trail network is FREE to ride, right? Okay, I won't mention it then.

Hack Racer
    I thought the trails were nicely laid out. Flowing and fun. Having the trails bi-direction can be a problem. Especially for the people who don't obey the traffic system in North America where you go forward on the right hand side. Not the left.

Trail is sanding right now... makes for interesting cornering. It's 5km total if you do the 3 loops. No real hard climbs. Fun though.

I'll be back a couple of times atleast this summer.

The food was great. But the chef's looked like Jail bait to me.

mtbr member
    Andrew TO you hit the nail on the head. We need trails for more than just us "hard core" folks. If you are going to get the kids into the sport, even the older "kids", then you need local, easy to get to, easy to not get lost, types of trail systems like this.

It's the same reason more communities need jump/free ride parks.

For MTB to try to be a viable sport for the kids like baseball, soccer, etc. we need facilities. I.e. trails.
    Jason Murray

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO
    I call it being realistic, if anything.
    Yup. definitely not realistic for me. You make lots of great points though. Beginners need a place where they can go, not get intimidated and not get lost. Everybody needs to start somewhere. Sometimes all it takes is one short dose of MTB to get somebody hooked. There will always be beginners, and therefore i believe there will always be bikes on the trail.

You definitely did make it sound like those berms were pretty fun though.

mtbr member
    Jason - HAHA! I'm busted, large! I keep forgetting that beginner's aren't always kids. :0 At any rate I agree with everything you said - I know if I had a trail network like THAT close to home i'd be hitting and maintaining it regularly. No, the Don doesn't count - it's across the city and a pita to get to for me. One Q - is there an official name for the trail network yet?!?!?!?!?! King was the only name I saw there and I was of the thought that that was more "advertising" for the King parks and rec services team.

Ryan - yyyyyyyyyyyyup, i'm hooked! I already know where to find more and ..... and ..... I want a DJ bike now. Yes, REALLY! Hmmm, perhaps a Giant Acid would fit the bill nicely.

Okay - last note to all - take a beginner there!! I really have to add that there is ONE thing that this network DOES have OVER Albion Hills - it truly is a beginner-friendly network that does allow for keeping interest with something more as their skills grow. Albion, IMHO, can be a little intimidating. Let's face it, things like decent hills, long loops and "serious ST" (subjective term) can be VERY intimidating and for the beginner this network SINGLE-HANDEDLY abolishes these in one fell swoop. Okay, make that three fell swoops.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    So had a chance to do some biking today as i had today off work and decided to check out the Jane Street trails in King. I live 15 minutes drive from there so it was perfect. LOL.. I headed north on Jane and I saw the tower, but I passed it... No problem. the first street on the right after I turned onto and back onto Jane and into the property. LOTS of parking, picnic tables, Porta Potty and the entrance is WELL marked. When I was there there was one car in the lot but I saw no one on the trails.

I have to say the trails are pretty good for a nice little work out. I spent 2 hours on the trails, pretty fun! If your plan is to hit the Intermidiate trails then I recommend the Bug Spray as that trail runs through deep forest area. Either That or just don't stop!!!! A pretty good little system if you live close and just wanna ride a nice, quiet, maintained trail.

If you want pictures let me know of what part and I'll take 'em next time!

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ratherBEbiking
    If you want pictures let me know of what part and I'll take 'em next time!
    If you are going to take pictures, just out of curiosity, i would like to see the most challenging features of the trail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I tried posting these pics using the upload tool but it didin't work. I think the file sizes were too big.

Anywayz, Here's some pics I took of the Centennial Trails.... (Hope This Works).. 12 Pictures in total!

Pic # 1: Driveway Entrance of trail from Jane St (Notice the Stone Pillars, gravel driveway and radio tower at the corner):
    http://img24.imagevenue.com/img.php?...e_St_467lo.JPG

Pic # 2: THIS is the radio tower on the property you gotta look for:
    http://img105.imagevenue.com/img.php...ower_304lo.JPG

Pic # 3: Trail Map Posted at the entrance:
    http://img145.imagevenue.com/img.php..._Map_328lo.JPG

Pic # 4: Trail Entrance (which is the start of the beginner loop - notice the well marked trails!!!!!
    http://img149.imagevenue.com/img.php...ance_600lo.JPG

Pic # 5: Beginner Loop Trail - Picture # 1:
    http://img24.imagevenue.com/img.php?...il_1_536lo.JPG

Pic # 6: Beginner Loop Trail - Picture # 2:
    http://img109.imagevenue.com/img.php...il_2_384lo.JPG

Pic # 7: Beginner Loop Trail - Picture # 3:
    http://img31.imagevenue.com/img.php?...il_3_404lo.JPG

Pic # 8: Intermediate Loop Start - This is the start of the Intermediate loop coming off of the Beginner Loop:
    http://img18.imagevenue.com/img.php?...tart_549lo.JPG

Pic # 9: A Picture of the Intermediate Loop Trail (Sorry, Just took one!):
    http://img124.imagevenue.com/img.php...te_1_419lo.JPG

Pic # 10: Advanced Loop Start - This is the start of the Advanced loop coming off of the Intermediate loop:
    http://img107.imagevenue.com/img.php...tart_525lo.JPG

Pic # 11: Advanced Loop Trail - Picture # 1:
    http://img134.imagevenue.com/img.php...ed_1_494lo.JPG

Pic # 12: Advanced Loop Trail - Picture # 2:
    http://img126.imagevenue.com/img.php...ed_2_339lo.JPG

That's all I took, but it should give you a pretty good idea of the trails and the trail property!!
    Last edited by ratherBEbiking; 07-25-2006 at 08:40 AM.

bi-winning
    I tried posting these pics using the upload tool but it didin't work. I think the file sizes were too big.

Anywayz, Here's some pics I took of the Centennial Trails....

...................I'M having some problems posting pictures. I can't use the upload tool as the photos are too large. They will be uploaded ASAP.. Thanks............
    If you want to try it, i use image shack.

www.imageshack.us

The size limit is very generous, and you can resize to 600x800 if the images are real big. Just copy and paste the code.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    BUMP... Ok.. My PICTURES are UP and WORKING!!!!!!!! Look up!

bi-winning

Anywayz, Here's some pics I took of the Centennial Trails.... (Hope This Works).. 12 Pictures in total!
    Nice pictures. The trail looks to be well done.

mtbr member

That's all I took, but it should give you a pretty good idea of the trails and the trail property!!
    Pictures? No, but your links are working perfectly.

Great work with the camera. I believe you've captured the essence very well, giving viewers a great idea of what to expect from each loop. (maybe we've found MTBR-EC's unofficial photographer!)

Looks like the rain and riding have had a quick impact on packing down the trails.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO
    Great work with the camera. I believe you've captured the essence very well, giving viewers a great idea of what to expect from each loop. (maybe we've found MTBR-EC's unofficial photographer!)
    Thank ya! . I love outdoor photography.. so much stuff out there!! More than half can be used as awesome posters and i even have a few collages of photo's that i've taken hung up around my room!

If anyone wants me to take pictures of any other trails i'd be more than happy too, Love photography and love travelling!!!

Bored

Rode them the other night.

got their late after chasing a creak down on my bike (fun stuff).. anyway, got a couple loops in and had fun. Will go back.

Man, the trails are bumpy though.

Motoman771 and I are heading there tonight at 6:30...Nosheergear (and others) are welcome to join! Moto rides the science experiment gone wrong, so you should be able to pick us out quickly.
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

Looking for Adventure

Most Good Trails Started Small and Humble

The idea that someone said "yes" and made it happen is the biggest hurdle, and greatest achievement. Most good trail systems started small and humble......Albion Hills, Kelso, Hilton Falls, Durham Forest, Mansfield Outdoor Centre (now closed), and Dagmar (now closed) are a few examples of humble beginnings that grew year after year. Gee, it was only about 5 years ago that Albion Hills was hardly known and had nothing but wide open ski trails......just read the older trail reviews on this site!

mtbr member

Good flow a bit lumpy

I finally got out to ride these trails. I did both loops both ways. Only one other couple there.

I like the flow, but the tread itself was a bit lumpy. I spoke with the guys who built the trails and the deal was they (Sustainable Trails) would do the layout and bench cut, but the King City staff would finish the trails. I.e. de-lumpify. Apparently (I didn't see it so I'm not sure) they took a trackor through to do it (like on a ball diamond) rather than doing it by hand like they were trained.

I hope that by this time next year the lumpiness is diminished and the plant have grown back in on the sides of the trail.

Definitely a nice trail to ride if you live in King City, but a bit of a drive coming from Pickering.
    Jason Murray

Jan 2006
    Hmm. Mountain biking trail too lumpy.

Hopefully they will pave it.

Bored

Too Lumpy/Bumpy?

Isn't that why you girls buy your mega buck F/S bikes? To make things smoother?
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

mtbr member
    I think what he was trying to say, is that it was really soft like new trails are. Try riding on a freshly plowed farmers field. I rode it 2 weeks ago and found it soft, The perfect course for a hardtail. A full squishy is overkill for that trail.
    My wife thinks I am nuts for spending this much on a bike. I tell her I think I am nuts for spending that much on her Diamond ring!

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by jmurray
    I hope that by this time next year the lumpiness is diminished
    I am not sure if the lumps will dissapear over time. There is a short stretch of trail i ride that is really lumpy, and makes it real tough to cary speed. It is frequently ridden by bikers. It was bumpy last year, and still is bumpy this year. Sectious like it do make me glad i ride fs

Members who have read this thread: 0