First time at Albion Hills- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    94

    First time at Albion Hills

    Went to Albion Hills for the first time last weekend.. and I have to say that I really liked it..!! Smooth single track, with some technical stuff.. not too rocky or rooty though.. but regardless, I had a blast... I didn't know that the 24 hr race was happening this up coming weekend, so there were tones of riders... I was also riding the 24hr trail.. lol.... I had no idea until I was told 1/2 way through... But it was a fun ride... I will definetly go back.

    b_r

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    604

    great place

    I've been about 5 times now over the last month and I really like it. It has been getting busy with the upcoming race though. I just hope that the conditions are good for the racers and the track doens't get wrecked. I'm planning to go on Friday, before the race, as the racers themselves should be resting so I figure one last ride before potentially bad conditions.

  3. #3

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    94
    Yeah, I hope the weather is good for the race... riding in the mud is fun but on a long ride, it wouldn't be the most desireable that's for sure.
    So what's your favorite trail...?? I like the layout there.. I would have done more riding when I was there, but I have to fix up my front brake before I feel comfortable hammering it again, and the parts that I want won't be in for another week...
    Good idea about going Friday while the riders are resting (hopefully ) So I take it you live close to Albion..?? That's cool... I have to drive about 1 hr, so when I go, I plan the whole day around the ride... which is fine with me.. I'm just glad that I finally got a chance to check the place out...!!

    b_r

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    604

    ...

    I usually ride the singletrack (one they use for the race). I'm a newb though so I have a tough time making it through the entire track without having to cut it short because a lack of energy. I've ridden the whole thing, but cut some part short each time.

    I'm actually going tonight, I don't want to wait until Friday (in case it rains ). I live in Brampton so it's about a 1/2 drive and given that I usually only go for 1 1-1/2 hours, I will have more than enough time.

    I know what you mean about brakes, I use v-brakes right now (thinking of getting disks) and some of the decents with a tight turn in the trees are very scary...I feel like I lose control sometimes but have only fallen once.

  5. #5
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,108

    I wanna go

    I have heard a lot of positive things about that place. I hope to be able to go there this year. I have never been. I can't drive myself there (no liscence yet) so my only way of getting there is with my dad. We had plans to go once last year, but the trip was cancelled due to a poor forecast. My lack of transportation really inhibits the amount i get to ride. Within riding distance from my place there is only a little bit of trail. I live in niagara falls, so places like albion and hardwood hills are a little ways away, so i dont usually have the opportunity to go. Fortuneately, there is some good riding in st. catherines, but that still requires a short car ride. I swear, as soon as i can drive myself places i'm gunna ride so much. However, until then, i'll have to make do. I'm glad you enjoyed your trip there.

    Happy Riding

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    604

    drop a line...

    If you and your dad are making the trip one weekend (or weekday in the summer) I'd be happy to meet up with you (assuming our schedules align). I usually go to Albion on either Saturday or Sunday morning, weather permitting.

    I don't ride for much more than 1-2 hours, but I could show you around once and then you guys keep going yourselves.

    Just post something here a few days in advance, ciao.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ddakin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    443

    Niagara Falls!

    Hey how's it going? I live in Niagara Falls too so we should go for a ride sometime. I ride shorthills, the Squeezer route, Kelso, Don Valley etc. I'm 25 so I've got a car and drive all over the damn place riding so if you ever want to tag along you'd be more than welcome.

    MSN me at [email protected] or email me at the same addy and we'll chat!

    Cheers,
    Dan

    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    I have heard a lot of positive things about that place. I hope to be able to go there this year. I have never been. I can't drive myself there (no liscence yet) so my only way of getting there is with my dad. We had plans to go once last year, but the trip was cancelled due to a poor forecast. My lack of transportation really inhibits the amount i get to ride. Within riding distance from my place there is only a little bit of trail. I live in niagara falls, so places like albion and hardwood hills are a little ways away, so i dont usually have the opportunity to go. Fortuneately, there is some good riding in st. catherines, but that still requires a short car ride. I swear, as soon as i can drive myself places i'm gunna ride so much. However, until then, i'll have to make do. I'm glad you enjoyed your trip there.

    Happy Riding

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: top_ring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,000

    Glad to see this post...

    on Albion Hills. Although I live pretty close (Brampton), I`ve never actually been. Kelso, Hilton Falls and even Heart Lake are my usual haunts. Thanks for the feedback on Albion - I`ll be going this summer for sure.

  9. #9
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,108

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by noonievut
    If you and your dad are making the trip one weekend (or weekday in the summer) I'd be happy to meet up with you (assuming our schedules align). I usually go to Albion on either Saturday or Sunday morning, weather permitting.

    I don't ride for much more than 1-2 hours, but I could show you around once and then you guys keep going yourselves.

    Just post something here a few days in advance, ciao.

    Thanks, ill keep that in mind.

  10. #10
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,108

    Hey

    Quote Originally Posted by ddakin
    Hey how's it going? I live in Niagara Falls too so we should go for a ride sometime. I ride shorthills, the Squeezer route, Kelso, Don Valley etc. I'm 25 so I've got a car and drive all over the damn place riding so if you ever want to tag along you'd be more than welcome.

    MSN me at [email protected] or email me at the same addy and we'll chat!

    Cheers,
    Dan
    added ya to MSN so we can chat sum time. my screen name is:
    Hockey Phreak
    Last edited by rkj__; 06-17-2004 at 04:55 PM. Reason: fix it

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_riot
    Yeah, I hope the weather is good for the race... riding in the mud is fun but on a long ride, it wouldn't be the most desireable that's for sure.
    So what's your favorite trail...?? I like the layout there.. I would have done more riding when I was there, but I have to fix up my front brake before I feel comfortable hammering it again, and the parts that I want won't be in for another week...
    Good idea about going Friday while the riders are resting (hopefully ) So I take it you live close to Albion..?? That's cool... I have to drive about 1 hr, so when I go, I plan the whole day around the ride... which is fine with me.. I'm just glad that I finally got a chance to check the place out...!!

    b_r

    Good theory but is friday not the day the riders all register for the race and set up their campsites? That leaves several hundred riders checking into the campground then probably running a lap or two before they call it a night, unless they decide to test out their lights!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    604

    not a good theory

    I ended up there Thursday night and it was already crazy, I thought twice about Friday and thought the Thursday was a better idea...well the other 50-100 riders made it interesting...I'm sure Friday would've been worse. Oh well, better riding than sitting on the couch.

  13. #13

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    94

    Good job!

    Wow..!! Way to stick with the ride..!! That's a lot of riders all in one place, don't know if I'd be able to do it. It must have been crazy

    b_r

  14. #14

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    98
    Hamilton/Waterdown is not too far from Niagara (40 minutes) and we have some decent trails up this way. I don't know them all that well yet but if you're in Waterdown head to Bicycle Works and they can give you all sorts of directions.

  15. #15

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by ions
    Hamilton/Waterdown is not too far from Niagara (40 minutes) and we have some decent trails up this way. I don't know them all that well yet but if you're in Waterdown head to Bicycle Works and they can give you all sorts of directions.
    Yeah...! I've ridden there a few times and there are some awsome trails... I didn't go to Bicycle Works though, and got pretty lost... ended up by the waterfall.. lol.. thank god for my compass..!! It was one of the coolest rides I've been on.. some parts were pretty hard.. but it was wicked fun... Ever gone to Rockcliff..?? If you cross the tracks, there is some nice North Shore riding there... Not a lot but some pretty fun stuff... I always hope for a quiet day so I can try these stunts without an audience... (a little shy )
    Haven't been there yet this year, but I plan on going soon since the weather seems to be looking up... damn all this rain.. can't help but feel guilty for riding on a wet trail..

    b_r

Similar Threads

  1. Female riders Albion hills (toronto (gta) ontario)
    By rmwilson in forum Women's Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-08-2004, 09:35 PM
  2. How's Albion Hills?
    By noonievut in forum Eastern Canada
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-23-2004, 11:07 AM
  3. Albion Hills open weekdays after 5pm??
    By Arek in forum Eastern Canada
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-29-2004, 01:06 PM
  4. Interested in riding the Albion Hills 24-Hour?
    By ddakin in forum Eastern Canada
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-19-2004, 07:16 AM
  5. Riders needed for Albion Hills (ONT) 24 Hour
    By ddakin in forum Endurance XC Racing
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-14-2004, 08:59 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.