First Endo- Mtbr.com

Thread: First Endo

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

First Endo

Riding about 50km/hr on a straightaway at Ravenshoe... went slightly off the trail and flew a few meters.

Good thing I had the helmet.

Can't believe this was my first endo.... was fun though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    thats a good one for your first. My first was going about 2km/h, practicing endo'ing (raising my back wheel off the ground, but not intending to go over the bars) in a park, and one time just went a bit too far, and over i went. since i was going slow and it was a park i managed to land on my feet. but now i know how far is too far.

how is ravenshoe? i have to get up there sometime soon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I've only been through the Don Valley Trails, about 1/3 or 1/2 of the trails around Waterdown, and the motocross/trails at Bayview/Stouffville, and I think Ravenshoe is the most 'fun'. It's very twisty (relative to the other trails), so the first time, you probably won't go crazy, but not too technical or difficult. No insane climbs or anything like that, but still fun and fast.

Limited parking as many people may have mentioned, but it seems to be well maintained, and government supported too.

I would say, in terms of difficulty, Medium to Low, lots of fun. I'm guessing if you're not nearly as heavy as me, you might have trouble hitting lots of small roots as you won't be carrying as much momentum.... so it may feel more difficult. (I'm ~ 210lbs)

Interesting thing is, going from the Judy TT to the MX Comp ETA, the front end seems to have lightened enough so that.. even on flat or slightly downhill sections, while trying to turn, I literally end up lifting the whole wheel off the ground .. VERY often... Got to get used to this I guess. I'd say the MX Comp probably saved me 1.5-2lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie
    thats a good one for your first. My first was going about 2km/h, practicing endo'ing (raising my back wheel off the ground, but not intending to go over the bars) in a park, and one time just went a bit too far, and over i went. since i was going slow and it was a park i managed to land on my feet. but now i know how far is too far.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    sorry i guess i was a bit vague, i meant to say how is ravenshoe this year? i havent been since last august, but i went 3-4 times last summer.

i quite enjoy how twisty it is, i can make it over most logs as long as my chain ring clears them, and im only around 165lbs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    BTW, I probably would not be posting right now if I had not been wearing a helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie

sock puppet

first? ... pfft...

Quote Originally Posted by Bandido
    Riding about 50km/hr on a straightaway at Ravenshoe... went slightly off the trail and flew a few meters.

Good thing I had the helmet.

Can't believe this was my first endo.... was fun though.

grasshopper... you need to try harder...

I already rode that
    I cant remember my first endo. I cant even remember doing an endo in recent years
    Riding F/S since oct 94'

May 2006
    50kph!!! endo!!! umm, normally you dont just endo at that kind of speed its usualy a tumble like a rag doll, good thing your ok, but how did you fly off your bike?

I just took a nasty spill today myself, off a 4 1/2 footer, from flat to slight descent, i pulled up way way too hard, went way too fast, landed on the edge of my rear tire, and spun myself around on my back. Knocked the wind out of me really nice.

Mar 2006
    Glad you are ok.
    I have had a few endos, but the worst was only about a month ago. Not bad in terms of injury, but because of stupidity. I was just riding with the family on the sidewalk, big hotshot I am, I came up on them from behind and was going to skid to a stop. However I put to much front brake and not enough lean back. Up I went and teetered for a sec, then fell forward into them, landing on my thumb to stop from hitting anyone. Dont think I broke it, but it was swollen and sore for a couple weeks.
    My 8-yr old son said "Gee daddy, are you ok?"
    I felt like saying "I will be fine son, but Im an idiot."

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I guess it wasn't REALLY an endo. I went over the bars, but after the front started falling (I had my front wheel turned). It was over the bars and a long tumble. I stopped about 10 feet in front of my bike.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbore
    50kph!!! endo!!! umm, normally you dont just endo at that kind of speed its usualy a tumble like a rag doll, good thing your ok, but how did you fly off your bike?

I just took a nasty spill today myself, off a 4 1/2 footer, from flat to slight descent, i pulled up way way too hard, went way too fast, landed on the edge of my rear tire, and spun myself around on my back. Knocked the wind out of me really nice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by prod
    Glad you are ok.
    I have had a few endos, but the worst was only about a month ago. Not bad in terms of injury, but because of stupidity. I was just riding with the family on the sidewalk, big hotshot I am, I came up on them from behind and was going to skid to a stop. However I put to much front brake and not enough lean back. Up I went and teetered for a sec, then fell forward into them, landing on my thumb to stop from hitting anyone. Dont think I broke it, but it was swollen and sore for a couple weeks.
    My 8-yr old son said "Gee daddy, are you ok?"
    I felt like saying "I will be fine son, but Im an idiot."
    BUWHWHAHHAHAHWHAHAHAHAHHAHAH!!!!!!!!! Oh, OOPS, sorry, was that out loud?

I meant, wow, glad you're ALL okay.

Bandido - endo at 50? Holy crap, that's a scary thought! Glad you survived to post about it. Good on the helmet, better on having it been a "good experience".
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies. :D

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    When I first hit the ground with my head and shoulder, I figured.. I'll probably stop. I am pretty heavy ~210lbs.... But my lower half just kept flying and going forward LOL.

Surprisingly... no bruises, just a small red rash on my right shoulder. I think it was because the trail was fairly soft.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO
    BUWHWHAHHAHAHWHAHAHAHAHHAHAH!!!!!!!!! Oh, OOPS, sorry, was that out loud?

I meant, wow, glad you're ALL okay.

Bandido - endo at 50? Holy crap, that's a scary thought! Glad you survived to post about it. Good on the helmet, better on having it been a "good experience".

sock puppet

50km/h on flat trail???

Quote Originally Posted by Bandido
    When I first hit the ground with my head and shoulder, I figured.. I'll probably stop. I am pretty heavy ~210lbs.... But my lower half just kept flying and going forward LOL.

Surprisingly... no bruises, just a small red rash on my right shoulder. I think it was because the trail was fairly soft.
    hmm, that is pretty good, even on road bike...

mtbr member
    My endos are very rare and I try to do them when nobody is watching. I made a pact with myself that I shall kill anyone who sees me doing an endo.

And speaking of killing, I am still looking for 20-30 people who passed me at the Mansfiled O-Cup after I hit that sand pit at the bottom of the downhill and flipped myself and my bike. Most of them ignored me, but a few had the guts to ask if I am OK. Talk about courage when facing death.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Members who have read this thread: 0