few people ride at night ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

few people ride at night ?

how come there are few people ride at night?

I was at during Durham forest tonight and there were only 2 other riders. nobody else was riding at night. night ride is much different than day time. it is also more spooky. I had to scan the forest with my head lamp often. I was worried of getting molest by one of you guys.

Rent this space for $
    What I find really different about night riding is that it's dark. It's so weird. What causes that?

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Night riding is awesome, but typically I find myself doing it weeknights after work. Since I work and live in Toronto the idea of dealing with the week day traffic to get out of the city to hit up somewhere like Durham just doesn't appeal much, so I mostly night ride the Don trails. Some nights there are big groups of riders, but usually I'm lucky to see more than a handful of riders, especially now that its getting cold.

mtbr member
    I night ride during the week as well. I typically ride at Hilton Falls/Agreement Forest and will not ride there at night by myself unless there is plenty of snow. I live close enough to the Culham Trail system in Mississauga, and that is where I ride during the week at night. If I can get someone else out, we head out to Milton. Like Kwarwick said, traffic can be horrible and if you add snow, it can be a real pain. I have had a few night rides where I have not run into a single person.
    You should always let people know where you are riding.
    I have prepared a map of my riding routes and my wife has it.
    We both have Iphones and we use the find my Iphone app. I have it turned on in her phone and she can track where I am at any time. There are various other apps out there that can do the same. Premium version of Strava will do this as well. The Trailforks app has an emergency send my location as well. The iphone also has a send my location just out of the texting function.
    I also have an emergency buddy. He knows the trails quite well and I can call him in case of emergency. I think it's important to take some precautions when riding alone at night.
    And yes, it can be spooky.
    Burnt Norton

mtbr member
    I'm out at least one night a week from the first of Oct. in the Ganaraska and sometimes Northumberland forests. I never ride alone, there are lots of sections in the Ganaraska that have no cell phone coverage. If you are immobilized it wouldn't take too long for hypothermia to set in with little and wet clothing on . I also fatbike at night in the winter, get time of year to ride.
    BBB (big beautiful bike)

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I'd say that 90% of my riding between the beginning of September to the middle of May is at least partially after dark and 90% of that is solo on very technical trails. The places I ride have cell coverage throughout and have pretty easy access points if I happen to have a mechanical or hurt myself. I tend to ride more conservatively and I also carry extra lighting/batteries, a lighter, a small bag of wood shavings and some warm clothes in my pack in case I get stuck out there.

I also do a good bit of trail work in the dark because I'd never get anything done this time of year if I didn't.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I love night ride. the trail looks completely different at night. it is a whole new experience for me

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    it's dark. It's so weird. What causes that?
    Insufficient budget for bike lights.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

****** to the dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    how come there are few people ride at night?

I was at during Durham forest tonight and there were only 2 other riders. nobody else was riding at night. night ride is much different than day time. it is also more spooky. I had to scan the forest with my head lamp often. I was worried of getting molest by one of you guys.
    maybe people are using those cheap flashlights that they use in horror movies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    My Blog

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I find I'm often riding solo regardless of the time of day or night, and at night it seems after about 40min or so I get those random thoughts that it is dark and creepy (I ride in Durham Forest mostly). But having been riding/running DF for a good 20yrs I know the trails better than the back of my hand so no fears on getting lost, although my wife has voiced her concerns.

As mentioned above I now turn on the Find Friends in our iPhones and keep my phone handy or easily accessible.

Years ago I used to pre-ride some long routes on my Enduro motorbike that would take me far away from civilization and we would use SPOT transmitters. Some of the guys would put them on their back pack; clear view of the sky... But it occurred to me if I got tossed from my bike and landed badly and could not reach the SPOT to hit the emergency button it may be hours more till someone considers looking for me and then hours till I'm actually retrieved. Point being, keep the phones handy not buried in the camelbak.
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

mtbr member
    I ride with my headphones in as i am listening to tunes when alone and have enabled Hey Siri. I don't even need to press anything to activate the phone. I also check in if I'm riding extra. I also avoid some features that are more dangerous. I had an awesome solo ride last night and no people at all. One deer on the path. They freak you out, as the are so tall, that their eyes are at human level. The lights catch them from a distance and it looks like someone lurking around in the dark.
    Burnt Norton

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Yeah, the deer seem quite curious of me on my bike at night. Probably the lights. They tend to just hold their ground and stare at me. I almost ran headlong into 3 of them in Hilton one night last year coming around a downhill bend. They just casually watched me as I sheepishly eased by. I was hunting season too, I was shocked by their lack of skittishness. Maybe they are smart enough to know that they are safe after dark?

On that same ride at one point I also noticed that I had attracted a colony of bats. There were dozens of them, cruising along the trail just in front of me. Finally they split off into the woods towards Bent Rim 2 and vanished. That was a really cool experience.

The wildlife is one of the aspects of night riding that I enjoy the most. I have come to hope for the eerie yip/howl of the coywolf, and feel a sense of abandonment and loneliness when I don't hear my evening companion in the forest.

9 lives
    One of the best things about winter riding, is winter riding at night.

Some throwback Thursday pics of December winter night rides

few people ride at night ?-oegxtu0.jpg

few people ride at night ?-tbbeham.jpg

few people ride at night ?-dsc02773_zpsa247433b.jpg

few people ride at night ?-dsc02772_zpsc27ab2d1.jpg

few people ride at night ?-dsc02754_zps1eed8444.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Yep!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails few people ride at night ?-img_0667.jpg  

few people ride at night ?-img_0670.jpg  

few people ride at night ?-img_0678.jpg  

few people ride at night ?-img_0683.jpg  

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    I was riding last night in the Don with a buddy and we only encountered two other riders during a 2 hour ride. The colder weather definitely decreases night riding interest for us wussy Torontoians!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mentor View Post
    Yep!
    did you use studded tires on your bike? was it slippery on the trails?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    did you use studded tires on your bike? was it slippery on the trails?
    The trails in the top picture were quite icy, I was looking for exposed rocks for traction, especially on climbs. For the other pictures, the snow was packed down, but still relatively fresh and not compressed into ice yet.

No studs on these rides, I just drop the pressure, ride slow, and crash a lot I have a set of studs, and they improve traction immensely, but they are not needed on these trails.

Moderator Moderator
    Night riding is great. Adds a new experience to the same old trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Props to you for night riding in the winter. I haven't ridden much since I retired in '08. Before that Id did a fair bit in the summer to avoid the day time heat, especially after night shift.

Now my night time riding is restricted to returning to Lakefield from Peterborough after the summer concerts beside Little Lake.

I still have my NiteRider Storm 2.0 HID. For the Rotary Trail & my evening riding in T.O. I use a Bontrager Ion
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada