Fat Biking Gatineau Park Ottawa - a new viable option for complete weekend of riding- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Fat Biking Gatineau Park Ottawa - a new viable option for complete weekend of riding

I decided to post a new thread to make sure this newly available Fat Bike option (and the work OMBA has put into this project) gets the love it deserves.

I rode the new northern loop at Gatineau park this past weekend. 27km total in a clockwise loop with several out & backs. Shared use with snowshoers mean perfect hardpacked conditions. Lots of pics/details on my OttawaVelo blog.

I have yet to ride/document the southern loop but from what I've seen there's now plenty here for a great weekend of riding.

For extra Fat Bike options in the region be sure to check out South March Highlands trails for another 10km of sweet trails. Chateau Montebello (1hr east of Ottawa) also has several hours of allowable riding on their golf course XC ski trails.
    www.ottawavelo.com - MTB & Gravel lifestyle in Eastern Ontario

trail gnome
    The 60-series trails in the southern sector tend to get more traffic and therefore tend to be ridable sooner after a fresh snowfall than the 70-series in the north.

If you go ride the 60-series, I recommend you start from Asticou. There is more parking there. Gamlin and Relais Plein Air parking lots can fill up quickly if the ski conditions are good; especially on the weekend. Also, you have to pay to park at Relais Plein Air now (or park for free next to the the stadium or play fields if you can find a spot).

I recommend you ride in the evening or start before 10am on the weekend to avoid the crowds.

If you start from Asticou, I recommend you ride the loops in the clockwise direction. The hills are more reasonable in that direction (you still might have to walk some) and there are some nice sustained descents that way. The descent off the 66 as you are finishing your ride is my favorite.

I just read last night that they are opening up Camp Fortune for fatbiking now. The future is looking good for fatbiking in the region.