Fanshawe Lake Trail (Ride With the "Support Crew")- Mtbr.com
    bi-winning

Cool-blue Rhythm Fanshawe Lake Trail (Ride With the "Support Crew")

Well, me and my support crew (aka parents) took the 2 hour drive to London to ride the Fanshawe lake trail.
    Mum is not an avid MTBr, so we took went along at a recreational pace.
    It was the first time any of us had ridden the trail.
    Fortuneately navigation was pretty clear with good trail markings and a detailed map.

What can i say, it was fun. The trail is ~22km long. For more info see: https://thamesriver.on.ca/Parks/Fanshawe_Lake_Trail.htm
    Overall, it was pretty beginner friendly. There are not any killer climbs.
    Few climbs overall. A healty helping of singletrack.

Beautiful lake scenery.

An optional obsticle. "use at own risk"

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/i3gdKf0l7Ng"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/i3gdKf0l7Ng" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="600" height="350"></embed></object>

Water crossing.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/cTNdLKDvxyU"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/cTNdLKDvxyU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="600" height="350"></embed></object>

Looking at the map. It provides readings about the vegetation and wildlife in the area as well, for all those interested in a quick nature lesson.

Mmmm, bike.

Me 'n' Dad

Happily riding along.

All lined up.

"Gnarly"

Pretty.

Little boo boo.

Logs

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/ezcdPbUrjRM"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/ezcdPbUrjRM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="600" height="350"></embed></object>

Friendly critter.

Lake Fanshawe.

That's it, that's all.

We all had fun, and it was worth the drive. A nice fun trail. Not extreme in any catagory, but if you are looking for a fun ride, i suggest it.
    Last edited by rkj__; 06-11-2006 at 03:59 PM.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

re:Fanshawe Lake

Hey, Glad you enjoyed riding "round" the lake!! While not overly technical, xcept a couple climbs, and baby heads, it's pretty much "big ring" trail,

Did you go round clockwise? I've always tried to go on days which i could go this direction, found the trail to be faster with more flow,

If your down near London again, give Boler mtn a go, this will get the heart rate up fast, my riding/training grounds, not to mention also the "pines" in Woodstock, where I went to today, tight, twisty singletrack flowing thru the trees

VernDogger

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Vernon VernDog
    Hey, Glad you enjoyed riding "round" the lake!! While not overly technical, xcept a couple climbs, and baby heads, it's pretty much "big ring" trail,

Did you go round clockwise? I've always tried to go on days which i could go this direction, found the trail to be faster with more flow,

If your down near London again, give Boler mtn a go, this will get the heart rate up fast, my riding/training grounds, not to mention also the "pines" in Woodstock, where I went to today, tight, twisty singletrack flowing thru the trees

VernDogger

We went counter-clock-wise. No big ring today, as that would have put me ahead on my own. I can see that you could definitely carry lots of speed through the trail.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Nice photos rkj, it is nice to see the whole family enjoy this activity.I guess this ride was a little more relaxed than the Canada Cup, huh?

I had a great riding weekend also.

Saturday I did 34km at Hardwood. I went for 3 fast loops on an easier trail (Serious). No big climbs, but very fast single track (trying to improve my handling of the rigid SS).

Sunday I did 50km at Albion. I went for 2 loops of the black trail. Trails were in fantastic shape, other than a couple of places where downed trees completely blocked the trail and the flow. It took me a long time (3:27) to complete 2 loops, so I was quite wasted. This time I used by geared FS bike. What a difference from the rigid SS. The Fuel 98 is smooth as butter. Yum.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Jul 2004
    I am heading up to Hardwood next weekend with a bunch of guys for our "yearly" bike trip. Have they changed any of the trails or are they the same os last year, what are the conditions (bugs) like.

mtbr member
    The HH trails are very similar to past years, with minor modifications here and there for trail maintenance purposes. The conditions were fantastic, although by next weekend you will see very dry, dusty, sandy conditions in some places due to lack of rain.

As for bugs, I rarely ride without moskito protection, but this past weekend I had no problems at all (same goes for Albion). Mind you, it was colder than usual. Next weekend they predict super warm weather, so my advice is to bring some bug protection.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Jul 2004
    Thanks for the heads up. I usually drink enough the night before the stale beer scent takes care of the mosquitos.

May 2006
    Very nice! I have ridden the trail twice... I expected a little more, but it was a great time anyhow.

Jul 2006
    Hey, nice to hear good things about Fanshaw. I ride that trail every wednesday night with my cycle shop. We get anywhere from 8 to 20 people on a good night. When we ride we average the trail in around an hour depends on if a storm is coming . Personally I love riding clockwise, the climbs are better going that way, counter clockwise is ok as well. In fact I just rode the trail last night, took 55 minuits, a new personal best. Well, keep on riding Fanshaw, it may not be the hardest course but it's got a little bit of everything for everyone.

May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by HardtailBoy
    Hey, nice to hear good things about Fanshaw. I ride that trail every wednesday night with my cycle shop. We get anywhere from 8 to 20 people on a good night. When we ride we average the trail in around an hour depends on if a storm is coming . Personally I love riding clockwise, the climbs are better going that way, counter clockwise is ok as well. In fact I just rode the trail last night, took 55 minuits, a new personal best. Well, keep on riding Fanshaw, it may not be the hardest course but it's got a little bit of everything for everyone.
    Which bike shop?

Moderator Moderator
    55 minuits eh, damn fast, my best is an hour and 5 min. Some of the London locals should set up a group ride, have an "MTBR" group ride? I'd show for sure.

Jul 2006
    I work at Reynold Cycle

mtbr member
    Holy crap, how did I miss this last month?!?!? SORRY!

Looks like you guys had a great family ride! Excellent pics of all and by all. Great stuff Ryan! Love the video touch's, too.

So, you supported your support crew by buying lunch, right?
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies. :D

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO
    Holy crap, how did I miss this last month?!?!? SORRY!

Looks like you guys had a great family ride! Excellent pics of all and by all. Great stuff Ryan! Love the video touch's, too.

So, you supported your support crew by buying lunch, right?

Thanks.

As for lunch, we were thrifty, and did it picnic style.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Hay HardtailBoy, what time do you meet on wen?
    My best was 1hr 14sec. with going over the bars once. I ride there about once a week.

Jul 2006
    My group meets on wednesday nights at 6:30-7:00 at the soccer field parking lot across from the park. We're always looking for new ppl so come by, i'll be the guy on the bright red trek 8000.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Fanshawe is a great trail to ride . . . nothing to harsh but like said earlier it has a little bit of everything and is a great distance. I ride there at least once a week, my personal best however is 1 hour flat (55 minutes is impressive).

I am always out at both Reynold's locations as well, great shop and great management. Jay has been coaxing me to come out every Wednesday and I have yet to make it . . . but this wednesday is looking promising.

May 2006
    Do you all have season passes?

May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by HardtailBoy
    I work at Reynold Cycle
    How much do brake pads cost for a 05' Giant Boulder SE? And is there anything better? My pads have gone past the wear line...

Jul 2006
    we have some group passes but their only good for 4 ppl. usually you either have your own pass, pay $5 or drive in for $10 if you have more than 2 ppl. we used to all ride for free but the "park rangers" or whatever got mad.

Anyways last night's ride was pretty sweet, made it through in an hour. XC23 came out and rode with us. We were the first two through if anyone else wants to come let me know!

May 2006
    Very nice.

Members who have read this thread: 0