Etobicoke Creek Trail Day: Sunday Oct. 14th- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Etobicoke Creek Trail Day: Sunday Oct. 14th

The group that's been talking to the city of Toronto regarding the Etobicoke Creek watershed has made progress, and we officially have our first trailwork day. In conjunction with the City of Toronto, TRCA, Oxygen Bike Co, and various volunteers, we'll be working on getting a stretch of trail behind the Metro distribution centre cleaned up and laying the groundwork for future traildays and trail improvements.

The meeting spot is at 110 The West Mall (west side in the parking lot) at 10am on Oct 14. If you have any questions or need directions, send me a PM and if I don't have the answer you need I'll put you in touch with Shawn Fitzpatrick who's the lead person doing the organizing for our group.

For those of you who haven't been on the 'creek, here's a small sample of the trails you'll find in there. There's over 20km of trails in there, they were originally cut by dirtbikes sometime before I was born then eventually evolved into hiking and mountain biking trails after building development cutoff motorcycle access.

mtbr member
    Awesome. I had no idea these trails were being developed, I live about 5 minute bike ride from there. Just when I am moving out of the city in a month!

Good luck to the development of these trails!

Evil Jr.
    Great news! Hopefully, this'll put an end to that weird sabotaging you've been getting out there.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nspace View Post
    Awesome. I had no idea these trails were being developed, I live about 5 minute bike ride from there. Just when I am moving out of the city in a month!
    Funny how that works. Where you moving to Tom?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I had no idea there were any plans for the trail until this spring when I got a call out of nowhere that said "we need you at a meeting, it's taking place right now!" That's where I learned that people had already been talking with the city for over a year to get something going, and that if we can get a group organized to take care of various things we'll eventually have a formally recognized trail system with signs & everything in around 6-10 years. But for that to happen we need to put in the work, show up for meetings, and all that other stuff, so the more people we get the faster we can get things rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Great news! Hopefully, this'll put an end to that weird sabotaging you've been getting out there.
    That could be a bit a problem since it's taking place on the Mississauga side of the trail system. The good news is we now know who's doing it and we have people on the lookout for the troublemaker.

mtbr member
    Thank you for the heads up. My g/f and I will be there!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Got word from Scott Laver who is our City of Toronto contact/rep that the event will be on rain or shine, he's going to be on scene sometime around 9:30am. I'm going to be there unless there's lightning strikes or something like that, or I drop dead after working a stupidly long day at the bike show.

mtbr member
    Thank you to aerius for posting this thread and to Shawn Fitzpatrick from Oxygen Bike Co. for organizing the day and Scott Laver from the City of Toronto as well as all of the volunteers that my g/f and I met today during the cleanup!

We had a blast and look forward to seeing you all on the trails!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The first ever event at the creek went really well. Thanks go out to everyone who showed up today, they did a great job of turning an unsightly mess into a much nicer looking section of trail. Before our group of around a dozen volunteers started, the place was littered with countless bottles, plastic bags, and many car and truck tires. It was a lot of hard work but man, the difference is pretty striking and I hope someone got some before and after pictures. Again, thanks to everyone who showed up or was involved in the organizing of the event!

This was part of our haul for the day, there was another pile about 1/3 of this size that isn't in the picture.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Nice pile, well done!

Members who have read this thread: 0