Electric mountain bikes

Printable View

• 09-30-2014
    Dgage
    Electric mountain bikes
    Had my first encounter with a electric mountain bike at Mansfield on the weekend. He was riding it in the Simcoe forest at the time so I didn't say anything about riding motorized vehicles in the Dufferin Forest. We checked it out, but to me its just a lazy way to bike except if you have to pedal it. Then it a 120lb ride to where you have to go.
  • 09-30-2014
    Slash5
    Wonder what the throttle control is like on them? Thinking about the times you are working over a rooty spot between 2 trees on a hill with a 45 degree turn and the handle bars barely fit. Impale yourself on a tree.
  • 09-30-2014
    ol-crank
    they are invading and soon will be everywhere. For those of us that peddle, train and race and can climb up difficult trails, guess what?... there will be a Trek E-bike waiting at the top with hardly a drop of sweat on the rider's forehead. I hope we will all think about what we will be giving up when they are able to ride the trails.
  • 09-30-2014
    Circlip
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dgage View Post
    Had my first encounter with a electric mountain bike at Mansfield on the weekend. He was riding it in the Simcoe forest at the time so I didn't say anything about riding motorized vehicles in the Dufferin Forest. We checked it out, but to me its just a lazy way to bike except if you have to pedal it. Then it a 120lb ride to where you have to go.

I don't acknowledge the term "electric mountain bike". If it has a motor, then it's not a bike to me regardless of how manufacturers or government agencies want to classify these devices. In general, I'm happy for people to find ways to get out and around more easily but I don't think I'd want these to slip under the radar to allow them into areas that restrict use of motorized vehicles.

On the positive side, although I haven't done any research to verify it seems like a no-brainer that e-bikes have a lower footprint in several ways compared to other vehicles that are larger, more powerful, or use combustion engines.
  • 09-30-2014
    ol-crank
    mountain bike action magazine now publish Electric Bike Action ? Welcome to America's first magazine about electric bikes and they seem to be reporting with great enthusiasm the latest e-bike advances. It won't be long before they are everywhere. I agree that they are really practical, efficient, and are a great second choice for many to get around, do shopping, ride to school/work, but in a sport like mountain biking, let's hope they are really forbidden on the trails.
  • 09-30-2014
    ol-crank
    FWIW an E-bike in Ontario is Electric Bicycles ("e-bikes") - FAQ
  • 09-30-2014
    Tom Shaw
    " He was riding it in the Simcoe forest at the time so I didn't say anything about riding motorized vehicles in the Dufferin Forest."

Too bad there was not an organized voice to talk with the land owner ... oh well.
  • 09-30-2014
    Enduramil
    Quote:

Just to clarify...you mean it looked like a actual bike you could actually pedal? Or did it look like a Scooter masquerading as a bicycle?

• 10-01-2014
    Kay.
    Quote:

The E-bike trend has taken a new direction which I hadn't at all been aware of until I read about it in the newspaper of all places, but auto manufacturers seem to be getting on board. This means serious design resources, and quite possibly, seriously good results. There's a few out there already, more to come. The Caterham bike by far the most eye-catching and also somewhat similar to the bike SS posted here a while back.

The principle is different than I had previously understood, but quite simple. It's power assist. You get power in proportion to the power of your pedal stroke... so the throttle per se is still under the control of the leg/foot rather than what would be the completely new to mountain biking hand/wrist motor pathway.
  • 10-01-2014
    crudest
    I'm still waiting for the day some people will try to use these bikes on night laps at a 24hr race.
  • 10-01-2014
    ghettocruiser
    FWIW, the 32kph governor limit on the electric scooters I see around town seems to have been rounded up to 40 this year.

And the Bionix drive pack guys are even faster... they can, and are, fitted onto otherwise normal mountain bikes, and whatever power the pack adds is on top of the regular cruising speed of the cyclist, which by my math is about an extra 20kph. They only add 10-12 lbs to the bike as well, and since visually it just looks like a guy pedaling a mountain bike with a box on the rear rack, most passerby's would suspect nothing.

I should mention that all of this is going down on the Don Paths, so I'm also not sure why motor vehicles are being grouped with non-motor vehicles. Maybe they should start letting Tesla owners drive around the Toronto islands with the quadcycles.
  • 10-01-2014
    Enduramil
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    FWIW, the 32kph governor limit on the electric scooters I see around town seems to have been rounded up to 40 this year.

And the Bionix drive pack guys are even faster... they can, and are, fitted onto otherwise normal mountain bikes, and whatever power the pack adds is on top of the regular cruising speed of the cyclist, which by my math is about an extra 20kph. They only add 10-12 lbs to the bike as well, and since visually it just looks like a guy pedaling a mountain bike with a box on the rear rack, most passerby's would suspect nothing.

I should mention that all of this is going down on the Don Paths, so I'm also not sure why motor vehicles are being grouped with non-motor vehicles. Maybe they should start letting Tesla owners drive around the Toronto islands with the quadcycles.

This will present problems in the future. It is not far fetched that landowners will not be understanding of these motorized bikes. As all they will point out is that it is motorized. I also forsee problems as human powered riders will get blamed for the ill behaved eBikers. While yes we are not perfect let us be blamed for our own created nonsense.

While laws have been adjusted for use on city streets I don't think there has been as much change off road.
  • 10-01-2014
    Dgage
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Just to clarify...you mean it looked like a actual bike you could actually pedal? Or did it look like a Scooter masquerading as a bicycle?

Nope, it did look like a mountain bike. I think he said it topped out at 80kms. I thnk it was a Stealth Bomber.
  • 10-01-2014
    Dgage
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Shaw View Post
    " He was riding it in the Simcoe forest at the time so I didn't say anything about riding motorized vehicles in the Dufferin Forest."

Too bad there was not an organized voice to talk with the land owner ... oh well.

I believe Simcoe Forest allows motorized vehicles, its just that the trail I was on at the time links up to other trails in the Dufferin Forest where motorized vehicles are not allowed.
  • 10-01-2014
    croft
    Hey most of the bike companies are pulling in dollars close to or more than most motorcycle manufacturers nd you can't ride any of them legally in SWOntario ( west of TO anyway)
    With them being made to closely mimic mtn bikes I figured its only a matter of time before there are more on the trail.
    Boomer rule !
  • 10-01-2014
    steve1324
    This will fit your 100mm BB fat bike. Various levels of pedal assist. You can make it whatever workout you want, but it allows some of us old folks to get out there on trails and in the woods in areas other than just flatland. Gives us seriously greater range as well. I don't want to see people going twice as fast on the trail. That is where some regulation will need to come in. Bafang Fatbike Mid Drive BBS-02 Ebike Conversion Kit - California Ebike
  • 10-01-2014
    Tom Shaw
    Quote:

I believe Simcoe Forest allows motorized vehicles, its just that the trail I was on at the time links up to other trails in the Dufferin Forest where motorized vehicles are not allowed.

Simcoe County allows Motorbikes on designated marked insured SCORRA - Simcoe Country Off Road Riders Association Club trails only. And you need to be a club member in good standing with all the insurance that comes with the organization. Great club that have build lots of fantastic trails.
  • 10-01-2014
    ol-crank
    1 Attachment(s)
    somehow it just plain hurts to get dropped by this guy on a good climb
    ebikes should be colored orange or something
  • 11-21-2014
    Enduramil
  • 11-22-2014
    singlesprocket
    1 Attachment(s)
    norco makes a e-bike fatbike

Attachment 941017

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve1324 View Post
    This will fit your 100mm BB fat bike. Various levels of pedal assist. You can make it whatever workout you want, but it allows some of us old folks to get out there on trails and in the woods in areas other than just flatland. Gives us seriously greater range as well. I don't want to see people going twice as fast on the trail. That is where some regulation will need to come in. Bafang Fatbike Mid Drive BBS-02 Ebike Conversion Kit - California Ebike

• 11-22-2014
    ghettocruiser
    Hmm.. twice as fast as a regular fatbike.

So that's like.... 8 miles an hour? ;)
  • 11-22-2014
    machine4321
    Sorry, but I see no place on the trails for these. They have a motor, they are motorcycles. And the sooner the they have specific laws for ebikes on the road the better. Im so tired of them playing both sides. Riding on sidewalks or taking up an full lane on the road. Not sure about other towns but if you are on an ebike, you are a not of good moral character. Or you have a impared. Its the transportation of drunks.
    Speaking of my area of course.