Ebike legal?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Ebike legal?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Ebike legal?

Are ebike allowed on durham forest trails?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2006

Moderator Moderator
    Why Picard? Why?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Mountain bikes with the ped-elec drive don't seem to be covered by this set of regulations? as I suspect is generally the case for many other areas as well. Has anyone seen one out on the trails yet?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Kay, do you mean they aren't covered by the no motorized vehicle rule or that the issue just hasn't come up yet?

The only ones that I have seen on the trails in Durham Forest were at a demo day.

I am sure that probably sooner rather than later we will start to see them show up in the forest. It would probably be a good idea for the various land managers to make a decision on whether they are permitted or not.

Moderator Moderator
    Unless there are regulations that clearly specify that ebikes are not motorized, they are generally considered motorized.

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryman View Post
    Unless there are regulations that clearly specify that ebikes are not motorized, they are generally considered motorized.
    You may or may not be correct in this case (I don't know) but are you really comfortable making that statement about regulations relating to a question from the OP about a specific trail network that isn't even in your country?
    Nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Moderator Moderator
    Sure. Feel free to penalize me Internets if I'm wrong.

****** to the dirt
    No in Ontario electric assisted bikes or e-bikes are not considered motor vehicles.

Ride an e-bike

Putting the brakes on e-bikes - The Globe and Mail

http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/co...0071d60f89RCRD

some cities will have different by-laws
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    My Blog

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I want to get information on the rules of ebike in Ontario since we will see them on the trail soon

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by deke505 View Post
    No in Ontario electric assisted bikes or e-bikes are not considered motor vehicles.
    I think you will find that these are different things. The "not motor vehicle" is for the application of the Highway Traffic Act.
    Motorized definition would be up to the local authority.

I remember reading in the Ottawa newspaper that for the Capital bike paths, Ebikes that looked like bicycles were acceptable on the paths, Ebikes that looked like scooters etc. were not.

Damn, here I am posting on a Picard thread. Who would have thought.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have fired off an email to the land manager of Durham Forest (LSRCA) to see if they have a policy regarding e-bikes. I will report back when and if they answer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikhs View Post
    I have fired off an email to the land manager of Durham Forest (LSRCA) to see if they have a policy regarding e-bikes. I will report back when and if they answer.
    Thank you Mikhs

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I just got off the phone with a representative from the LSRCA and as of now there is no policy regarding e-bikes. They are looking at the issue along with the Land Owner (Durham Region) and their risk management team.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikhs View Post
    I just got off the phone with a representative from the LSRCA and as of now there is no policy regarding e-bikes. They are looking at the issue along with the Land Owner (Durham Region) and their risk management team.
    Why does it sound complicated when they refer to risk management team

mtbr member
    if motor vehicles are not allowed and if e-bikes are motor vehicles (criminal code) wouldn't that mean that e-bikes are not allowed. I shutter when I think that an e-bike can weigh up to 120 kg (plus rider) and can go 32 KPH. This could possibly do a lot of damage to the MTB freedom we enjoy on the trails. For 20 some years I have been an ambassador on the trails, always being careful around horses, hikers, dogs and so on as I never know who is on the board for the conservation area ready to disallow biking on the trails because of irresponsible riders tearing up the trails with no regard for other trail users. E-bikes might be one more step closer to losing our privilege.

****** to the dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by ol-crank View Post
    if motor vehicles are not allowed and if e-bikes are motor vehicles (criminal code) wouldn't that mean that e-bikes are not allowed. I shutter when I think that an e-bike can weigh up to 120 kg (plus rider) and can go 32 KPH. This could possibly do a lot of damage to the MTB freedom we enjoy on the trails. For 20 some years I have been an ambassador on the trails, always being careful around horses, hikers, dogs and so on as I never know who is on the board for the conservation area ready to disallow biking on the trails because of irresponsible riders tearing up the trails with no regard for other trail users. E-bikes might be one more step closer to losing our privilege.
    E-bikes in Ontario must have:
    steering handlebars
    working pedals
    an electric motor not exceeding 500 Watts
    a maximum speed of 32 km/h
    a maximum weight of 120 kg
    a permanent label from the manufacturer in both English and French stating that your e-bike conforms to the federal definition of a power-assisted bicycle

as per Ride an e-bike

e-bikes in that range are not considered a motor vehicle. and a mtb can be going 32 kph on trails going downhill as well, not saying I agree with it but it is what it is and it will be up to the land managers and conservation authorities to regulate it.
    My Blog

mtbr member
    Q7: What are the penalties for riding an e-bike while drunk?

Drinking and driving a motor vehicle is a Criminal Code offence and charges are laid under the Criminal Code of Canada. Under the Criminal Code, the definition of a "motor vehicle" includes an e-bike, and anyone operating an e-bike intoxicated could be charged for impaired driving. If convicted, the offender would be subject to the Criminal Code penalties, including a fine or jail time, and a driving prohibition.

Under the Highway Traffic Act, an e-bike is not classified as a motor vehicle, so penalties for impaired driving under the Act would not apply.

It is kind of splitting hairs and like many laws, there are numerous authorities that each make rules, like HTA, city by laws, etc. I really hope that we do not see any motorized vehicle, that is any vehicle, including bicycle, with a motor, on the hiking/mtb trails. It is not a big stretch from e-bike, to scooter, to small motorcycle and so on.

****** to the dirt
    Q7: What are the penalties for riding an e-bike while drunk?

Drinking and driving a motor vehicle is a Criminal Code offence and charges are laid under the Criminal Code of Canada. Under the Criminal Code, the definition of a "motor vehicle" includes an e-bike, and anyone operating an e-bike intoxicated could be charged for impaired driving. If convicted, the offender would be subject to the Criminal Code penalties, including a fine or jail time, and a driving prohibition.

Under the Highway Traffic Act, an e-bike is not classified as a motor vehicle, so penalties for impaired driving under the Act would not apply.

It is kind of splitting hairs and like many laws, there are numerous authorities that each make rules, like HTA, city by laws, etc. I really hope that we do not see any motorized vehicle, that is any vehicle, including bicycle, with a motor, on the hiking/mtb trails. It is not a big stretch from e-bike, to scooter, to small motorcycle and so on.
    under the traffic act if one is caught riding a bike and drinking the rules for impaired driving would still apply, so it would be the same.

edit you could technically be charged for drunken disorderly conduct even if you are walking.
    My Blog

mtbr member
    sorry but if you are caught drunk and on a bicycle you can be charged with being intoxicated in a public place, or worse depending on your behaviour but not DUI or driving while impaired.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    if motor vehicles are not allowed and if e-bikes are motor vehicles (criminal code) wouldn't that mean that e-bikes are not allowed.
    That is what I had based my answer on. Apparently there is more to it.

mtbr member
    i personally don't want to see e-bikes on trails...certainly not the scoooter-looking 120 KG variety.

The power assisted bicycles like Specialized, Giant, Haibike and others make....sure.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member

maybe it's time to change my thinking,

Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post
    i personally don't want to see e-bikes on trails...certainly not the scoooter-looking 120 KG variety.

The power assisted bicycles like Specialized, Giant, Haibike and others make....sure.
    I can see e-bikes on a trail like the rail trail, but somehow on the dedicated MTB trails, it seems weird to me. And no, I haven't test rode the Specialized Turbo or any of the other electric MTBs. I dearly hope that this whole e-bike thing is not a game changer. BUT, it would help me up firepit.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by deke505 View Post

Ride an e-bike

Putting the brakes on e-bikes - The Globe and Mail

Power Assisted Bicycles - Cycling and the Law - Cycling | City of Toronto

Majority of those articles are based on E Bikes using paved surfaces ie roads. ANd we must remember that 5 years ago Toronto already banned E Bikes on at least one trail.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...ing_trail.html

The reality is this discussion is about E Bike use on dirt trails. This is a whole different discussion as there are various laws, by-laws and such in relation to use of anything wheeled with a motor. Especially outside of Toronto in rural areas like Durham.

This is an area that has not been tested yet unlike E Bikes on road. And is concerning as even to this day some conservationist types still rant that bicycles must be banned from trails as they are motorized. And depending upon the make up of the local advocacy group....give them actual ammo to sway the local land management. Remember, not every Ontario trail management is bike friendly.

mtbr member
    The reality is this discussion is about E Bike use on dirt trails.

When I ride down in Ellicottville up behind Holiday Valley, the trails are built by MTBers for MTBing and I seldom see hikers or horses. The occasional "small game" hunter in the fall. Trail usage on these trails is probably pretty secure.
    At home I ride up Chedoke Trail, across the 403 and into Dundas Valley. (No need to put the bike on the car bike rack.) For about 20 years I have considered myself lucky to have such easy access to decent trails. Once in a while I do consider these guys, Board Members | Hamilton Conservation Authority and would like to keep them on our side. I don't know when I am out on the trail who is sharing the trail, hiking, dog walking or riding a horse so I am careful with everyone. The people on MTBs are usually pretty considerate and maybe they also are thinking about our image. If E-bikes are allowed, it is a whole new breed of cat. Not necessarily our type. They might not have the same appreciation for the privilege we enjoy. I vote no to E-bikes on the trails. Anywhere else, I am fine with it.