Eastern Canada 2012 trail report card- Mtbr.com
    humber river advocate

Eastern Canada 2012 trail report card

it's that time of the year again for trail report cards... post up some feed back about the trails you ride, you build/maintain or advocate for... here's my picks

Kolapore: B
    -up and coming riding spot with stakeholders repairing and building trails, still has atv problem

Palgrave: B+
    -getting a long term makeover that will make it a really fun trail system

Dufferin: C
    -dated trail system, needs some work to freshen up and add creative lines

Mono Cliffs: C
    -a fun place to ride, but needs work beyond just hikers

Albion: D-
    -dated trail techniques and routes, needs new blood and ideas

Bolton tract: D+
    -good idea, bogged down in implementation with stakeholders, have to wait and see

Nashville Tract: C+
    -raw charm, new trail system plans look promising

The Don: A
    -tech singletrack in the city, with an extensive network

Three Stages: C+
    -lots of potential, though the most fun trail is the hiking trail, needs reroutes and work
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

Evil Jr.
    Christie Lake: B+
    -a good start but needs to be about 4 times longer.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Muskoka

Buckwallow

About 35K of dedicated mountain biking trails consisting of mixed single & double track trails rated from 1 hoof to 5 hoofs to satisfy all skill levels. Typical Canadian Shield riding situated in the heart of Muskoka. Folksy, warm atmosphere and all of it meticulously maintained by Mike and his crew! Thanks once again for a great season! A plus
    https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...127?source=pwa

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"
    Rocky Mountain Sherpa Overland

9 lives
    Clairville Conservation - did a couple of winter rides there this year. Mainly double track. Well packed down by hikers, dog walkers and runners. Neglected trail area that has great potential (easy access for Malton, Rexdale) Has huge potential for the interconnected trail network linking to the lake. Grade C+
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

I dd what you see there.
    My "I'm a loser" report card for rail trails (because it's all I have ridden):

Hamilton east/Chippewa: C+. - 2 benches only, not an 'abundance' of wildlife to peep and no points of interest recognized. At the right time of year you might catch a couple of the old "war planes" buzzing around but the rest of the time it's pretty much a boring "crop tour" ride that ends in the middle of nowhere on Haldibrook road (though if you scooch around the corner to McClung road and then Unity road, you're at Killman Zoo, or if you're into a road ride you can follow McClung road all the way to a nice little park on the Grand River in Caledonia) The upside to this trail is that it is fairly secluded in spots and therefore quite peaceful. A sign at the trailhead on Stone Church road says that the trail is 18Ks, so I figure roundtrip with my ride to that point to be around 40K.

Hamilton to Brantford rail trail: B. Kinda the same as the Chippewa trail, only longer. Not a lot of points of interest indicated on the way, but you pass beside the Woodland Cultural Center in Brantford (Aborignal history, art etc. - General Tour Programs | Woodland Cultural Centre) and also in Brantford you get to ride along the Grand River for a fair bit. I rode it in late June and inspite of it being pretty much just a "crop tour" between Dundas and Brantford I did get to see a fair bit of wildlife and once again, passing through the crops is kind of nice as there is no traffic noise or hustle and bustle from "city life." My cpu crapped out on this ride but from what it told me before it died, I determined it was a little over 50Ks one way.

Brantford to Paris and then to Cambridge: B+. A few POIs indicated and pretty much the entire way from Paris to Cambridge is along the Grand River. Lots of benches with views of the river along that stretch too. Always tons of animals. A good staple ride that I figure to be around 60K roundtrip.

Brantford to Port Dover: A or maybe even an A+. I only made it to Simcoe before turning back, but in Brant county this trail is awesome for "learning." It's also mainly a "crop tour" but just about EVERYTHING you see has a placard with descriptions and the history of it (bridges, cemetaries even the crops that were/are grown there, who farmed them etc.). At just about every road crossing there are also huge maps clearly showing how you can get to anywhere you want to go in Brant county. One of the quirky things I found was that they put the benches at the road crossings as well, not in the middle where you'd figure someone would need the rest, but whatever. In spite of not being along a river, there is tons of widlife to see too - I was almost taken out by a Red-Tailed Hawk on a second shorter trip. In Norfolk county there aren't as many signs though which is kind of a letdown because I posted a picture (in the "Cool Things Seen" thread) of huge silos beside the trail in Waterford that would be neat to have read about. The road crossings in Norfolk are also quite narrow and I came upon an older fellow that cliped his handle bar passing through one and fell. He wasn't going fast so he didn't fall hard and he claimed he was fine so I continued on - though very carefully. I subsequently found a 'strava' trip (or whatever it is) online that claimed trip was 83Ks roundtrip (though there was a minor detour around the bridge over the ponds in Waterford on this trip). I look forward to doing this trip again many times to read all those placards..
    2002 Cannondale Jekyll 800
    2011 Trek Cronus CX Ultimate

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog View Post
    awesome phat tire pic
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by XLNC View Post
    My "I'm a loser" report card for rail trails (because it's all I have ridden):
    not by any means, i've always enjoyed rail trails and mups. those type of trails are very important bicycle networks and in your report card have shown to be quite interesting.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

Lemmy Rules!
    Brantford to Port Dover: A or maybe even an A+. I only made it to Simcoe before turning back, but in Brant county this trail is awesome for "learning." It's also mainly a "crop tour" but just about EVERYTHING you see has a placard with descriptions and the history of it (bridges, cemetaries even the crops that were/are grown there, who farmed them etc.). At just about every road crossing there are also huge maps clearly showing how you can get to anywhere you want to go in Brant county. One of the quirky things I found was that they put the benches at the road crossings as well, not in the middle where you'd figure someone would need the rest, but whatever. In spite of not being along a river, there is tons of widlife to see too - I was almost taken out by a Red-Tailed Hawk on a second shorter trip. In Norfolk county there aren't as many signs though which is kind of a letdown because I posted a picture (in the "Cool Things Seen" thread) of huge silos beside the trail in Waterford that would be neat to have read about. The road crossings in Norfolk are also quite narrow and I came upon an older fellow that cliped his handle bar passing through one and fell. He wasn't going fast so he didn't fall hard and he claimed he was fine so I continued on - though very carefully. I subsequently found a 'strava' trip (or whatever it is) online that claimed trip was 83Ks roundtrip (though there was a minor detour around the bridge over the ponds in Waterford on this trip). I look forward to doing this trip again many times to read all those placards..
    I really wanna do this ride before the snow flies! Can you post something letting me know where the trailhead is, or perhaps a trail map? Or if you want to keep it a bit of a secret, please feel free to PM it to me...Many thanks....
    Strava made me do it....

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket View Post
    not by any means, i've always enjoyed rail trails and mups. those type of trails are very important bicycle networks and in your report card have shown to be quite interesting.
    +1. I have not ridden any rail trails personally but I think they are a great asset along with old forest access rds, ATV trails etc etc. Any trail that one can use to get out into nature and away from road traffic is good in my book

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

I dd what you see there.
    Unglued, It aint no secret. The trail head is in west Brant right on Colborne St. W. Google maps - "West Brant Fire and Ambulance Station 4" you should see the trail identified as the "T, H & B Rail trail right under it." The bonus is, that little loop-de-loop of Oakhill Drive and Spalding Drive across Colborne St from there is a parking lot.

Be careful though, because about 1 to 2 k into the trail the TH&B trail forks off to the left and if you go straight you'll be on the CN trail (the maps states states the opposite, which is wrong), but it's easy to navigatge because the TH&B trail is paved and the CN trail is not - just stay on the paved part and you'll be fine.

Edit: Here's the link to the site I found that mapped pretty much the exact route I took - Brantford Simcoe Rail Trail - A bike ride in Brantford, ON
    Last edited by XLNC; 10-24-2012 at 03:08 PM.

humber river advocate
    which reminds me, just east it hooks up to the humber river mup network. this network get's a "B" since there is a couple gaps but does connect you to trail networks and will bring you down to sunnyside bike park (when it gets built)
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

9 lives
    The Caledon Rail Trail goes from Tottenham to Palgrave to Inglewood to Terra Cotta and is approx 40km end to end. We rode it twice last year (with the turn around thats about 80km) Nice scenery and lots of places to snap pics Some single track connections
    Grade B-
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    "Huge silos" in Waterford were part of the Co-op. Farmers brought crops to the Coop for sale and they were stored inthose silos.

Haven't done this trail yet but people rave about it. The bridge crossing in Waterford is very cool as well.
    The Lynne Valley trails is the last section from Simcoe to Dover - 8km - all down hill - a jewel!! Have doe it lots of times.

PS - Is Albion still open - their site says they close at 4:00 but once in can you cycle after 4- tomorrow looks to be beautiful! - local info needed
    Actually no - it's closed.
    Last edited by pikester; 10-25-2012 at 04:55 PM.

9 lives
    Quote Originally Posted by pikester View Post
    "Huge silos" in Waterford were part of the Co-op. Farmers brought crops to the Coop for sale and they were stored inthose silos.

Haven't done this trail yet but people rave about it. The bridge crossing in Waterford is very cool as well.
    The Lynne Valley trails is the last section from Simcoe to Dover - 8km - all down hill - a jewel!! Have doe it lots of times.

PS - Is Albion still open - their site says they close at 4:00 but once in can you cycle after 4- tomorrow looks to be beautiful! - local info needed
    Have you ridden Waterford in winter? I would love to check it out.

Check out Palgrave (just north of Albion)
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    -up and coming riding spot with stakeholders repairing and building trails, still has atv problem
    Up and coming? say what? Pretty sure people have been riding there since the mid 90's. How is that up and coming. More like old dog.

humber river advocate

"Banger" "Repo "Astro" and "Acid"

heh, palgrave... though "It is also rumored that Palgrave is at times "unsafe" due to the local Crew consisting of an unknown number of teenage thugs. Tags reading "Banger" "Repo "Astro" and "Acid" can be seen throughout Palgrave"

Palgrave, Ontario - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

any way, no fear as long as you can flash the proper "sign"

anyway more peel riding spots here...

Peel Trails Map
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Up and coming? say what? Pretty sure people have been riding there since the mid 90's. How is that up and coming. More like old dog.
    you heard about the lawsuit... what do you think happened

kudo's to pinkheaded bug and other stakeholders for stepping up to the plate...
    look forward to the future.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    [QUOTE=singlesprocket;9812785 Crew consisting of an unknown number of teenage thugs.

[/QUOTE]

Stereo typing teenagers based on a bunch of grafitti? And then people wonder why teenagers don't respond to adults.
    Last edited by Enduramil; 10-24-2012 at 07:43 PM.

mtbr member
    About 35K of dedicated mountain biking trails consisting of mixed single & double track trails rated from 1 hoof to 5 hoofs to satisfy all skill levels. Typical Canadian Shield riding situated in the heart of Muskoka. Folksy, warm atmosphere and all of it meticulously maintained by Mike and his crew! Thanks once again for a great season! A plus
    +1 Buckwallow rocks!

"So I'm packing my bag for the misty mountain.."

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Stereo typing teenagers based on a bunch of grafitti? And then people wonder why teenagers don't respond to adults.
    you don't know palgrave very well and missed the humor in the wikipedia article and my post

example of the real estate in the area...

10 Mcguire Tr, Caledon, Ontario, L7E0E5 - Home for Sale
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    I really wanna do this ride before the snow flies! Can you post something letting me know where the trailhead is, or perhaps a trail map? Or if you want to keep it a bit of a secret, please feel free to PM it to me...Many thanks....
    Unglued, I'd be keen for doing this too. Might be a good shakedown ride for my CX bike, and I don't think there are any big valleys for me to fall into.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixnr View Post
    +1 Buckwallow rocks!
    Blue and I were out a Buck this afternoon. What an awesome day and the trails are in great shape, hardly a patch of mud anywhere and all freshly leaf blown! This is the last weekend of the season coming up, Buckwallow is closed after the 31st. I expect to see the Defiant guys there, they always make the trip up north for the opening and closing weekends!

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=cyclelicious;9812678]Have you ridden Waterford in winter? I would love to check it out.

The Waterford rail trail is just new, so haven't been on it at all.

humber river advocate
    was pretty muddy in the clay tonight, had to take the cedar route...
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

9 lives
    [QUOTE=pikester;9816020]
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    Have you ridden Waterford in winter? I would love to check it out.

The Waterford rail trail is just new, so haven't been on it at all.
    Thanks Pikester I'm always looking for new trails

I'm going to check out Waterford rail trail as a winter ride destination
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Blue and I were out a Buck this afternoon. What an awesome day and the trails are in great shape, hardly a patch of mud anywhere and all freshly leaf blown! This is the last weekend of the season coming up, Buckwallow is closed after the 31st. I expect to see the Defiant guys there, they always make the trip up north for the opening and closing weekends!
    I was there last weekend. Can't make this weekend unfortunately. Missing link! Could ride that all day long! Anyone know when hardwood hills closes?

"So I'm packing my bag for the misty mountain.."

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    hardwood will be taking the signs down soon but they'll be open till it snows,

"other" trails in the area are also in great shape and being raked out,

Almost dropped the c word.

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by swabag View Post
    Doh! I should ask the forum admins to have the c word added to the automated censor just to make sure it doesn't accidentally slip in to anyone's posts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by swabag View Post
    hardwood will be taking the signs down soon but they'll be open till it snows,

"other" trails in the area are also in great shape and being raked out,

I'm always shocked that Hardwood does not make any effort to clear their trails of debris/leaves considering what they charge for entry. As far as the "c" word I was there yesterday enjoying the beautiful 22 degree weather & was pleasantly surprised to see some of the trails freshly raked It was a great day to be off

humber river advocate
    actually there is an important meeting regarding copeland forest nov 3rd info below...

News and Events – couchichingconserv.ca
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    it's that time of the year again for trail report cards... post up some feed back about the trails you ride, you build/maintain or advocate for... here's my picks

Three Stages: C+
    -lots of potential, though the most fun trail is the hiking trail, needs reroutes and work
    I have a feeling your missing most of the trails at 3 stage because kolapore should not be ahead... unless you like riding double track

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by rowlands View Post
    I have a feeling your missing most of the trails at 3 stage because kolapore should not be ahead... unless you like riding double track
    know 3 stages well, ridden there for over 16 years... trails are a bit of a squirrel run, gets crowded on the top, needs a bit of work. and the most fun trail is actually a hiking trail.

the trail builder in me likes kolapore better, the lay of the land, trail potential, stakeholders working together, the caves/cliffs/enscarpment/waterfall/rawness/natural riding features
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    I have to agree with Singlesprocket. I've always preferred Kolopore over 3 Stage for the same reasons he stated.

Up, Up, and Away!
    +1 for Kolapore... great rocks and natural trail features. I prefer it for this reason.

humber river advocate
    i hear you and agree..
    (SuprGrovr!)
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Where abouts is Kolapore?

LBS Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by bctrav View Post
    Where abouts is Kolapore?
    Near Collingwood

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Perhaps a little more specific? I had figured that much out since the discussion was about 3 stages vs kolapore.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Kolapore Location

Parking on the east side of sideroad 2 north of 4 and south of 19

Google Maps

Google Maps

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by drussell View Post
    Unglued, I'd be keen for doing this too. Might be a good shakedown ride for my CX bike, and I don't think there are any big valleys for me to fall into.
    I just got back from riding the TH&B trail. We made it as far as Simcoe and had to turn back because we were going to run out of daylight. It was a great trail and a great ride! Highly recommended Thanks for posting about this trail, XLNC!

Edit: just got the "valley" comment. I think you'll be OK on this one...
    Strava made me do it....

9 lives
    Primrose is an interesting loop. We did some trailwork with BTA a couple of years ago and then went back to ride the trails. Quite a diverse area and not too crowded. Better than average I'll rate it C+
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by back40 View Post
    Parking on the east side of sideroad 2 north of 4 and south of 19

Google Maps

Google Maps

Thanks for the info. Usually go up to Blue once a year in for a riding weekend. This would be a good diversion in between benders instead of riding 3 stages a couple times each trip.

I dd what you see there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    I just got back from riding the TH&B trail. We made it as far as Simcoe and had to turn back because we were going to run out of daylight. It was a great trail and a great ride! Highly recommended Thanks for posting about this trail, XLNC!
    Glad to hear you liked it.

Did you park in that lot across the street? Because I'll offer a heads-up - if you're planning on doing that ride during the summer months - that lot is JAMMED on most weekends (moreso the mornings) because D'Aubigny Creek Park (the park that is "attached" to that parking lot) is like the major Soccer hub/complex for west Brant. However, I'm sure as a "Plan B" you could always park in the Sobey's lot, or if you're into camping, Brant Park (where my trailer is) is only like a 5 minute ride up Oakhill road from there.

As a matter of fact, that might be an interesting MTBREC trip next summer. A night of campfires, smores and beer and then doing that ride the next morning!

Lemmy Rules!
    Glad to hear you liked it.

Did you park in that lot across the street? Because I'll offer a heads-up - if you're planning on doing that ride during the summer months - that lot is JAMMED on most weekends (moreso the mornings) because D'Aubigny Creek Park (the park that is "attached" to that parking lot) is like the major Soccer hub/complex for west Brant. However, I'm sure as a "Plan B" you could always park in the Sobey's lot, or if you're into camping, Brant Park (where my trailer is) is only like a 5 minute ride up Oakhill road from there.

As a matter of fact, that might be an interesting MTBREC trip next summer. A night of campfires, smores and beer and then doing that ride the next morning!
    The parking lot was pretty quiet so no worries there. The ride was done by me and two friends on cyclocross bikes at a pretty vigorous pace - we made it to SImcoe and back in about 3 hours. I posted my strava file on facebook and a ton of people expressed interest in this ride.

The best thing about this ride - we passed many people walking dogs, running and hiking and they all smiled and said "hi" as we passed, which was very refreshing.

It makes me wonder why I take my life in my hands riding my road bike in Milton and the Dundas Valley when I can do a similar ride on a cross bike with beautiful scenery and not a car in sight.

Here's my strava file from the ride in case anyone is interested. My KOM was stolen by one of the guys I did the ride with, though...

Bike Ride Profile | Rail trail hammer - Brantford to Simcoe near Brantford | Times and Records | Strava
    Strava made me do it....

I dd what you see there.
    I'll say it was "vigorous" to be done in 3 hours.

Minus the time I spent swapping a tube, helping the old dude that fell and standing at one of the big maps trying to figure out where I was, I figure it took me about 4.5 hours.

Lemmy Rules!
    I'll say it was "vigorous" to be done in 3 hours.

Minus the time I spent swapping a tube, helping the old dude that fell and standing at one of the big maps trying to figure out where I was, I figure it took me about 4.5 hours.
    It was three of us on cyclocross bikes. The other two guys race with Cyclepath Oakville. We had a bit of a paceline going. It was fun to put the hammer down on this ride, but another time I will enjoy riding at a slower pace and stopping to read more of the plaques.
    Strava made me do it....

Members who have read this thread: 0