E-Bikes Increase Problems For Cyclists?- Mtbr.com
    Team NFI
    Mar 2007

E-Bikes Increase Problems For Cyclists?

We all see them now. You know the one's I'm talking about... those electric scooters aka E-Bikes that have cranks and pedals. The red and white Baja you see at Crappy Tire.

I have seen them being ridden down sidewalks, weaving around traffic, and so on. Half of it is because people think they are bicycles simply because they have cranks and pedals. Yet all they exist for is to take advantage of a loophole in our laws.

Will these create more friction between us cyclists and everyone else? We will be blamed for what ever they do that causes harm? To the average person all they will hear is the word Bike and they will blame all cyclists.

edit:

there was a CBC Kingston reporter at the shop asking E-Bikes at the shop. Something about bike week. Kept trying to claim they where bicycles.... I was grinding my teeth as I could see where this could be going.
    Last edited by Enduramil; 07-19-2011 at 02:56 PM.

namagomi

LOL

Yeah, they're obnoxious, but i've seen a lot of seniors using them.. so if you can't pedal a bicycle it's a good idea - otherwise you should do a bit of exercise!

Get off the sidewalk though.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    There was a report of a genius trying to ride the ridge on one of those last year. Claimed it was okay because it was a bicycle.

mtbr member
    Makes my blood boil when I see them riding in the bike lane against the flow of traffic, I just don't get it. WTF would anybody ride against the flow of traffic.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfchild View Post
    Makes my blood boil when I see them riding in the bike lane against the flow of traffic, I just don't get it. WTF would anybody ride against the flow of traffic.
    It's easy when it's all about you, self entitlement, and if you get hit it's the drivers fault you where being a Scootertard.

Oh.. and by the way I just copyrighted that term as well as trademarked it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Annoying they are, but I have to ask myself critically whether or not I'm just biased and these things aren't in fact the way of the future for the vast majority of Canadians who are currently drivers but are willing to consider an alternative. In fact, I'm continually surprised that I haven't seen more of them on the road. But then, gas is still very affordable at $1.30 and will be for some time, until the economy gets better again. What's it cost to operate one for a year anyway?

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay. View Post
    Annoying they are, but I have to ask myself critically whether or not I'm just biased and these things aren't in fact the way of the future for the vast majority of Canadians who are currently drivers but are willing to consider an alternative. In fact, I'm continually surprised that I haven't seen more of them on the road. But then, gas is still very affordable at $1.30 and will be for some time, until the economy gets better again. What's it cost to operate one for a year anyway?
    In theory.

The reality is that Scooters are only designed for use in cities. As that what the design evolved from... the Vespa which started it all was designed post WWII. And is the primary way of getting around most cities.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    As that what the design evolved from... the Vespa which started it all was designed post WWII.
    Little known Vespa factoid (which may or may not be apocryphal): the scooters were originally devised as a way to use up all the surplus airplane wheels lying around Italy after the war.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Lemmy Rules!
    Some of the comments on this thread bear a striking resemblance to things I have heard said about cyclists in the past. I'm just saying.
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    There is nothing wrong with e-bikes (regular bikes that have a power assist). My beef is with these electric scooters. They put pedals on them to meet the legal requirements. There is no way you could pedal these scooters the seat is too wide, pedals too far back, scooter too heavy. A lot of people riding these things do no know what they are doing they go too slow in traffic and seem to think they are on a motorcycle.

This fad will pass, as they break down and can not get parts the landfill will start filling up with them. Do you see mopeds anymore?

mtbr member
    The mass x speed of these vehicles is greater than the mass x speed of pretty much anything else that doesn't require an operators license.

That's all I'm gonna say about it.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by temporoad View Post
    There is nothing wrong with e-bikes (regular bikes that have a power assist). My beef is with these electric scooters. They put pedals on them to meet the legal requirements. There is no way you could pedal these scooters the seat is too wide, pedals too far back, scooter too heavy. A lot of people riding these things do no know what they are doing they go too slow in traffic and seem to think they are on a motorcycle.

This fad will pass, as they break down and can not get parts the landfill will start filling up with them. Do you see mopeds anymore?
    They also look sufficiently like scooters and motorcycles that drivers opinions of their actions are more likely to be lumped in with scooters and motorcycles than bicycles.

I always enjoy passing them on my bike knowing that their power assist is limited to a speed I can easily exceed with only my legs.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Little known Vespa factoid (which may or may not be apocryphal): the scooters were originally devised as a way to use up all the surplus airplane wheels lying around Italy after the war.
    You are correct.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    Some of the comments on this thread bear a striking resemblance to things I have heard said about cyclists in the past. I'm just saying.
    Your right. Lots here are using them. Unfortunately still too much misinformation on them... some think they are bicycles because they hear they have cranks.

Quote Originally Posted by temporoad View Post
    My beef is with these electric scooters. They put pedals on them to meet the legal requirements. There is no way you could pedal these scooters the seat is too wide, pedals too far back, scooter too heavy. A lot of people riding these things do no know what they are doing they go too slow in traffic and seem to think they are on a motorcycle.
    There is the problem. That CBC reporter yesterday kept calling them bicycles the whole time she was talking to Jay at the shop. I really hope she changed the word or alot more people will think they are bikes.

Moderator Moderator
    IMO they should be considered motorized vehicles and operators should have a license and insurance to reflect that. I don't see how they are any different than the motorcycle sitting in my garage that requires a special license and insurance to use.

The rail trail association in my area have already taken a stance against them and posted "No E-Bikes" signs at all the trailheads and road crossings.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by RatchAttack View Post

The rail trail association in my area have already taken a stance against them and posted "No E-Bikes" signs at all the trailheads and road crossings.
    Good to hear this. There has to be a seperation of so called E Bikes which in reality are Scooters with useless cranks installed.