Durham forest main trail a mess- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Durham forest main trail a mess

The lumber company has made a huge mess of the trail. The ground is completely rip up by tractor that haul lumber. The whole place looks like a bomb out site.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    tractor that haul lumber.
    that would be called a skidder. They can do a number.
    BBB (big beautiful bike)

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Will the lumber company groom the trail? It is a huge mess

Workin for the weekend!
    Thats is how a lumber company grooms trails....
    Todd :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by -Todd- View Post
    Thats is how a lumber company grooms trails....
    not likely, I doubt that would be in their contract.
    BBB (big beautiful bike)

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Like temporoad said, not likely.

Whether we like it or not the pines in Durham Forest are harvested from time to time. Past history tells us that once the harvest is done it is left up to the users to clean up the mess. From what I have seen this year the double track trails certainly took the brunt of the damage. There is some clean-up needed in some of the single track trails that were in the harvest area and I am sure members of the DMBA will see to it that it gets done.

On a happier note, some awesome trails came about directly because of the harvest. The whole Burnt Toast, Bowes and Bowes Two network evolved after the harvest obliterated an old fall line trail that used to be where Bowes is now. That trail was seldom used as it was crappy and led to sand patches and poison ivy. Now the network includes Big Butter, Baby Butter and Missing Link. We can now go from the parking lot north on Burnt Toast and ride single track pretty much all the way into the Maze.

The Lake Simcoe Region Conservation Authority tell us that the harvest is for the benefit of the forest itself. Cutting down some of the pines allows more of the natural hardwoods to thrive.

So don't look at the harvest in a totally negative way and although it mucks up the trails in the short term, long term it will all work out for the best.

Workin for the weekend!
    I was being sarcastic... after watching what the loggers did at Christie last year & the year before, there is zero respect for the work put into trail building...

And I'm just one of the poachers. The folks who put their sweat into those km of singletrack ought to be heartbroken after the logging activity. Brutal.
    Todd :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I just messaged one of the trail builder. He is heart broken upon seeing the damage trails

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    To continue what Mikhs said; the Logging crew was given specific instruction to stay off the single track... as much as I near cried when I saw the many piles of trees and the damage, at least something was saved.

Along with many others this past week I rode through the logged section last Sunday and it was a surreal experience, makes me cherish what we have even more and also realize how fragile and quickly it can all change.

Not to stand on a soap box (and I'm probably speaking to the choir anyway), but another reason we should all join our local clubs, be it here in Durham, Toronto, BC, the States, IMBA... doesn't matter where, those are the people that try to keep tabs on what is happening and stick their noses into it to keep our best (and the land) interests in mind.
    Last edited by osteo; 12-02-2016 at 08:39 PM. Reason: trying to fix the crappy grammar.
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

mtbr member
    Logging has been going on in the Dufferin Forest for a couple of months now but Team Van Go has been working with the loggers and have mark all the single track that would be effected so the loggers know where it is. Its worked very well, the loggers clean up most of the mess and then it doesn't take very long for the club members to make the trail passable again.
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

snowbound
    Jan 2005
    Hi, full disclosure - I am a member of the Durham Mountain Biking Association (DMBA), the club that works with the land manager to build and maintain single track trails in the Durham forest.
    A very small portion of the double track within the forest is rutted. This will either be "bladed" by the contractor, or cleaned up by volunteers.
    Also would like to note - none of the trails that the DMBA has built over the last 10 years were affected by the logging operations.

For more on the reasoning behind the logging operations within Durham forest, trail conditions, trail builds etc. the DMBA Facebook page is a good resource.
    https://www.facebook.com/durhammountainbiking/

Thanks and see you in the forest!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dgage View Post
    Logging has been going on in the Dufferin Forest for a couple of months now but Team Van Go has been working with the loggers and have mark all the single track that would be effected so the loggers know where it is. Its worked very well, the loggers clean up most of the mess and then it doesn't take very long for the club members to make the trail passable again.
    Like all businesses there are good & bad outfits. Snowmobiling I've seen both. One was using a fair length of "open" trail as a trail. I would hate to have been an older person that happened to get stuck in the ruts that the skidder had produced.

A couple of years later in another area (both instances in SE Haliburton County) the logging outfit was cutting a large area that the snowmobile trail passed thru. This operation crossed the trail @ 1 spot & stayed off the trail. For the most part, the damage to the trail was minimal.

Seeing as the C/A has dealt w/ loggers in the past, you would think that the singletrack would've been noted as off limits. When you sign a logging contract (my parents have dealt w/ 2 over the years) you can specify very specifically your "conditions". You usually learn pretty fast after your 1st dealing w/ them.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada