Durham Forest & GTA traill conditions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Durham Forest & GTA traill conditions

We should create a sticky with updates on the conditions at Durham , the Don, Albion...etc..... (similar to the one on Dropmachine).

I've seen posts mentioning good conditions at the Don: ..."Ridge is flawless, but Crothers' Woods and The Flats are slick in spots. It's solid underneath, just a thin layer of mud on the surface - should definitely dry out today. Pottery has some deep "clay-holes" on the way up...".

Has anybody checked Durham / Glen Major yet ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I'm riding Durham and Walker tomorrow AM.

Will post here after.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    It'll be berry, berry, berry NICE! Conditions are good....

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Awesome!!

Great news !! Thanks for the heads up !! It's really good to know we can enjoy the trails without risking messing them up.

max_29
    Quote Originally Posted by chicoracing
    is this about Albion Hills?

KTECH
    All the low lands are still pretty wet, the frost is just coming out of the ground in shady areas.I have rode it for the last 3 days Durham forest,Glen Major , Walker woods and the Brock tract the ground is still pretty slow mostly but all ridable, if you like resistance training!

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by chicoracing

that's a misleading statement. conditions are not very good in all areas. the frost is just leaving the ground with even ice patches if the trails go through low lying shaded cedar swamp areas. these area's will be a mud pit and you will trash the trails.
    if you ride more sun exposed well drained trails they should be fine. choose your trails accordingly...
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KTECH
    All the low lands are still pretty wet, the frost is just coming out of the ground in shady areas.I have rode it for the last 3 days Durham forest,Glen Major , Walker woods and the Brock tract the ground is still pretty slow mostly but all ridable, if you like resistance training!
    More details please?
    I was hoping to ride Three Rocks and Durham tomorrow, but obviously avoid "the bog." I thought most of Durham would be good because of the sandy soil, and Glen Major/Walker Woods would be dry because of the elevation and lack of foliage letting the sun hit the ground so it could dry.

mtbr member
    I just got back from Durham Forest. I did not get across to Walker Woods or Glen Major today, that will be tomorrow.

Durham is in great shape. There were a few soft muddy spots on the trails near the parking lot, but the rest of the trails are dry.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Durham was in great shape this AM. That was my first ride in that forest, so I dont know the trails. I remember Snakes no Ladders, Logs over Easy, Pines, Maze....I think that we tended toward the higher ground. Turned back at one point of a double track to find drier riding, but all in all, AMAZING for April 2nd!

Here's the route from the GPS if it helps anyone...Thanks for taking me out Tom, Terry, Graham and Steve!

<iframe width='465' height='548' frameborder='0' src='http://connect.garmin.com:80/activity/embed/28734049'></iframe>

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Great conditions!

Rode glen major this morning: it's soft in a couple spots, however with the leafs cover there's no risk of damage to the trails. Though resistance training as mentioned before. There's a few spots where you can see roots from people hitting the trails to early....that was the whole point of this post.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    As mentioned above, Durham Forest is in great shape. 20 or so members of Durham Mountain Biking Association were out there this morning for some spring cleaning. The raspberry bushes going into the Maze and along the trail by the road heading over to Glen Major have been beaten back again so no worries about drawing blood for awhile. Lots of raking was done and the trails look great.

mtbr member
    Walkers woods was only muddy in a couple low spots on the double track within a couple km's of the parking lot. That and right at the bottom of the forest where it's ALWAYS muddy.

All the single is MINT and I didn't see any mud further south towards Glen major. What a fantastic weekend for riding!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I was at Durham Forest & Glen Major on last Friday and Easter Monday and it was in great shape, a lot drier then expected and a little too dry for this time of the year.

A little but of wet spots esp. going up to the top of Dagmar top as usual. It was much better then last year summer tho.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Dagmar after rainy week??

Any chance of getting a trails condition update from any hikers at Durham today ??

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I was at Durham forest today from noon - 3pm
    Condition was quite good, comparable to last Sunday.
    A little wet at Durham parking lot but the trails are quite try. Getting up the ski hill at Dagmar is always wet at the bottom. That never change.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chupster
    Any chance of getting a trails condition update from any hikers at Durham today ??
    Not a hiker but will an update from a biker do?

I rode both Durham and Walker Woods/Glen Major today and it was great. We didn't encounter any outright mud anywhere in Durham although there were a couple of spots that were soft.

Over at WW/GM we went south to the bottom of TJ's Way and then back up north from post 22 and it was all dry and in great shape. The few spots that are usually wet weren't.
    I am sure that if you go to the south west corner of Glen Major where the mud bog is that it will be muddy there so I wouldn't suggest going there.

snowbound
    Jan 2005
    Conditions are close to perfect. Nothing more to add.

mostbrokenestscaphoidever
    Walkers Woods and Glen Major yesterday between 5pm and 7pm... Trails were in great shape... a bit chilly in some spots, but I was pretty warm from all that climbing!

I haven't been there in awhile - so it was nice to see a different trail than my usual local in Nemarket and Raveneshoe.

I need to work on some things that is for darn sure...
    misfit diSSent 29er SS
    niner One9 SS

Person
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by alanchan
    I was at Durham forest today from noon - 3pm
    Condition was quite good, comparable to last Sunday.
    A little wet at Durham parking lot but the trails are quite try. Getting up the ski hill at Dagmar is always wet at the bottom. That never change.
    I thought Dagmar was closed for riding?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikhs
    Over at WW/GM we went south to the bottom of TJ's Way and then back up north from post 22 and it was all dry and in great shape. The few spots that are usually wet weren't.
    I am sure that if you go to the south west corner of Glen Major where the mud bog is that it will be muddy there so I wouldn't suggest going there.
    Didn't go near the bog, but I can confirm that the trails above it our in good shape. There is a new trail that starts at 23 and heads towards the parking lot.
    The double track road up from the parking lot is damp in its usual places. The single track beside it is great though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by max_29
    is this about Albion Hills?
    No EDH and DRF. Chico lives near them.
    Jason Murray
    Rep for Ontario, IMBA Canada
    Visit the IMBA Canada site to keep current on all things IMBA in Canada.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Baulz
    I thought Dagmar was closed for riding?
    It is but we're working on it. It's slow going though so don't hold your breath. If we lucky we should have something to say in 2011.
    Jason Murray
    Rep for Ontario, IMBA Canada
    Visit the IMBA Canada site to keep current on all things IMBA in Canada.

mtbr member
    Trail conditions in Don Valley are phenomenal. Watch for the washout on the new 'Advanced' trail just north of the Loblaws trailhead.

mtbr member

Ravenshoe

The Ravenshoe trails are awesome and totally ready to go.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    First Durham Forest race tonight...should be the first time in years that the series actually starts on the first night AND is not restricted to which trails can be included in the course. Of course, some may have wanted that first week with the shorter laps, more doubletrack and less climbing!

mtbr member
    As many of you know from your race last week the dufferin forest is in great shape.
    went there after work yesterday for an awsome ride.
    Was at palgrave last saturday. also great conditions with some soggy spots towards the north end.

Looking for Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by jmurray
    It is but we're working on it. It's slow going though so don't hold your breath. If we lucky we should have something to say in 2011.
    Jason

You made my day! However, I did some scouting of the Dagmar area about 2 years ago and found that 80 to 90% of the original single-track trails are completely gone.....reclaimed by the forest. So much for those dopy "tree huggers" that claim mountain bikers cause permanent damage.

Good Luck! Let me know if you need another voice. Dagmar has a special place in my heart.
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

icy
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by HSCoach2
    First Durham Forest race tonight...should be the first time in years that the series actually starts on the first night AND is not restricted to which trails can be included in the course. Of course, some may have wanted that first week with the shorter laps, more doubletrack and less climbing!
    Yes. Maybe I'll bring a light. Oh well time to head out let the fun begin.

mtbr member
    hi anyone know how the conditions are in the durham forest. all ice here in T.O
    "Live dangerously and you live right."
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

mtbr member
    I haven't been since the 1st day of that weird thaw. It was un-rideable then. A friend was there with his dogs 2 days ago and reported very icy. Now there's a layer of packing snow over the ice so maybe it'll stick and give us some traction. There's a few of us headed to DF in the morning. I'll update then.
    GTA
    Ontario

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Any update ?
    Thx.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    It was Jan 4,2014.

Durham Forest &amp; GTA traill conditions-11762103114_318694eeed_c.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Rode Durham on Tuesday night...the parking lot was an ice rink....but the trails were surprisingly good...

mtbr member
    Was there today with a group of 10. It's rideable but barely. Parking lot is clear ice and the trails have a bit of snow over ice. We all fell a lot and it's a slow go. I would bet that after todays traffic that it's a little easier tomorrow but still ice underneath it all. Studs would be pure gold there.

Also if you find a set of keys shoot me a PM. One of our group lost them.
    GTA
    Ontario

mtbr member
    Anyone know how much damage was caused by the ice storm? A lot of downed trees?

mtbr member
    Minimal. It's clear for the most part. There's a tree or 2 down on Bowes and a few in glen major.
    GTA
    Ontario

mtbr member
    That's nice to hear

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Anyone have an update for Durham as of today??

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Not rideable for me.

Durham Forest &amp; GTA traill conditions-12543234484_fd2075cd53_b.jpg

Durham Forest &amp; GTA traill conditions-12542872653_df5f9b932b_b.jpg

mtbr member
    We went yesterday. Got maybe 15k at most. The ravine trails around my house were better than Durham.
    There were a group of horses through on saturday and punched a billion 10 inch deep holes through the smooth packed snow. We chatted with some couples on fat bikes and they weren't having the greatest go at it either.

Durham Forest &amp; GTA traill conditions-1511022_10153818182045290_1754413605_n.jpg
    GTA
    Ontario

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Rode Durham last night...and the trails were great
    -15C and a dusting of snow....

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Man...can't wait until the snow is gone!!
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    On a fatbike ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Yeah....should have mentioned that.....the double track is okay for most....with many of the single tracks rideable....with good balance on a skinny...
    The fatty just seems to give me more margin for error on the tighter trails....

mtbr member
    any updates on conditions, I was up there earlier in the week and it was great. just wondering what it is like after the rain we received. thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kreater View Post
    I was up there earlier in the week and it was great.
    Are you saying that the snow is gone up in Durham?
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    no....lots of snow, just wondering if it is slush and ice now....

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Anyone ridden this spring yet at durham forest. Rode heber downs last sunday and it was icy and full of slush. Just curious if Durham would be any better yet this time of year or is it too muddy to ride(not that I am afraid of the mud I just don't want to damage the trail). Any info would greatly be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Not muddy, still covered in snow and slush.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Dog Slow

Keep out of the Don peoples

Took the Cross bike on the paved trails throughout the Don Valley the other day, and had to "have a word" with a few overly eager mountain bikers who had tried venturing into the singletrack.

It will be several weeks at the earliest before things start to dry up. Even the paved trails have as much as a meter of snow over it in some spots, the paved trail down to the lake is in good shape though

Just East of the DVP headed towards the O'Connor Bridge.
    Durham Forest &amp; GTA traill conditions-2014-04-02-14.04.38.jpg

mtbr member

Thinking of heading out tomorrow afternoon. Anyone been recently? If so what are he trails like. Hopefully not too muddy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by campergf23 View Post
    Thinking of heading out tomorrow afternoon. Anyone been recently? If so what are he trails like. Hopefully not too muddy.

Never mind. Calling the ride off. Kid out that as of last weekend there was still a foot of snow left. Don't want to screw up the trails riding in all the mud .disregard my last post

mtbr member
    Walker woods entrance a few hours ago a friend took. Iced over and wet.

GTA
    Ontario

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    what's the condition for April 2014?

mtbr member
    I rode past today, still lots of snow in there.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Had a nice ride on the waterfront trail. Did a 50k ride. Dot have road bikes so we took our mtbs. Waterfront trail is pretty well clear.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Anyone go up today? How are the trail conditions? Wouldn't mind riding there tomorrow if conditions are right.
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member

Thinking of riding there tomorrow as well. Last I heard of is that it's good for riding, just to stay out of the new one, and ogres

mtbr member
    The Thursday night races started this week and a few of the guys who went said it's good to go. Watch for trail closure signs as there might be a trail or two still closed.

EDIT to add, They only spoke of Durham forest itself. Not Walker or Glen Major. No idea what they look like.
    GTA
    Ontario

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    This is the emailing from the DBMA from Wed I think... if you didn't receive it, might be worthwhile to check out the site and consider joining to keep updated on the many many km's of builds and locations going on this summer:

Title: Durham Forest 99% Good Condition
    Author: (UserID: TS)
    Categories: Advocacy

Steve, Niall and I walked many km of Durham Forest this evening. We are happy
    to report that for the most part the forest is ready to ride. Some double
    track areas are still quite wet and muddy but 99% of the single track is well
    drained and rideable. In isolated places, short sections of ice remain on the
    trail but is much less than 1% of the trail lengths so shouldn't be much of
    an issue.
    Of all the trails we walked, Knotty But Nice and Ogre and Out were still a
    little wet in places and have sustained some damage from riders who decided
    to ignore LSRCA requests to stay off of muddy single track. Ideally these two
    trails could use another 3 dry days to make them in good condition as well.

To read the complete News Item or to comment on the News Item please follow
    this link:
    Durham Forest 99% Good Condition | DMBA

Tomorrow morning at 9:00a they are doing a walk through trail clean/clear. I've been doing that over the entire winter as bet I can with my running group after the storms when we are up there running, but they are now focusing on the leaf coverage.
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

mtbr member

Yea got those emails, won't be able to make it out for the clean up, but hoping to ride in the afternoon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    A buddy rode earlier today and said is was good everywhere he was, I'll be there in the afternoon tomorrow as well.

mtbr member

Durham Forest &amp; GTA traill conditions

Quote Originally Posted by osteo View Post
    A buddy rode earlier today and said is was good everywhere he was, I'll be there in the afternoon tomorrow as well.
    Do you know if he rode Knotty But Nice or Ogers?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Just back from a run there, didn't do Ogres or Knotty but was on the double track that is in that end and ran Logs. Some of the double track is still a bit soft, fine to ride on though, but you can easily see where someone went through when it was wet and maybe one horse. But if soft there, those low points in both Knotty and that sharp turn on the hill in Ogres I think would be still a bit too wet.

We did see tiny amounts of ice in spots too but I expect them to be broken up by the end of the day and melted with traffic.

Also passed guys with leaf blowers, I'm sure by now all the single track is cleared of leaves and raked.

Have fun, will probably see you there later, I'm on a black Carbon Niner with a Lefty.

mtbr member

Okay, yea there was a trail clean up this morning that I couldn't make it to

mtbr member

Riding was great, did about 20km, did Knotty But Nice and Ogres both were good. It was fairly busy, and there was snow on some double track. All the single track I rode was good: logs, burnt toast, Bowes, the maze, loose enz (think that's what it's called?) and some others. I think I saw you osteo in the maze?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Glad you had a good ride and thanks for the update on Knotty and Ogres. We just got home, parked over near the old Gravel Pit / Crater (Glen Major side) as the wife wanted easier double track as she is trying clipless.

Conditions there was 80% good! Anything low was not really wet but soft, so we went softly! Also spent a good amount of time clearing pine bows and trees. Given another day or two and it will be nice and hard I'm sure but a large hand saw is needed for the 3 trees we had to lift the bikes over.

I'll be riding DF tomorrow before my run, looking forward to railing through in the clean trails!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Yeah I had a good ride today also. DF was mostly dry except for some ice on some single tracks. Sorry don't know the names of them, I just ride them. Wish I had more time today to ride but, got up there late and had an early afternoon appointment. Hmmm...a ride tomorrow wouldn't be so bad, more time on the new bike!!
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Spent 3 hours in DF yesterday and it was great, but I got lost repeatedly! I'm used to places with more signage. Time to study the maps.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I've uploaded maps to Maprika (iPhone app) if you have an iPhone to help you out. It's free and overlays the Durham Forest maps with GPS location. The maps are offline, but you will need to be able to get a GPS signal. Once you do, it will put your location on the maps I used from DMBA. Check it out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tietherope View Post
    Spent 3 hours in DF yesterday and it was great, but I got lost repeatedly! I'm used to places with more signage. Time to study the maps.
    This should help:
    Ontario Trail Maps

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbird74 View Post
    I've uploaded maps to Maprika (iPhone app) if you have an iPhone to help you out. It's free and overlays the Durham Forest maps with GPS location. The maps are offline, but you will need to be able to get a GPS signal. Once you do, it will put your location on the maps I used from DMBA. Check it out.
    They have an Android app I just downloaded and installed the map. So once I'm there it will show my location on top of the map image? That's awesome, thanks.

I did use my phone GPS to see where I was (which was off the paper map into another forest) and figure out the general direction to head back.

Quote Originally Posted by Face Visor View Post
    This should help:
    Ontario Trail Maps
    Thank you, I actually had that with me and a colour version. It just seemed that every time I would say "OK, I take the third left" that turn would somehow not exist. I'll get the hang of it soon.

On the plus side the people riding were incredibly friendly. I usually ride where I may not see anyone else on the trails during a 3 hour ride, so I was concerned about a busier place.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I got lost repeatedly! I'm used to places with more signage. Time to study the maps.
    That was me the first two summers riding there. No point spending time looking at a map when you can ride instead. After a while you piece things together and you are no longer lost. Entering races that use to be held there aslo helped. The only race held there now is the weekly Thursday night race I think. Wish more races would be held there again.
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I started riding there last summer, took a ride and a half to figure out directions. For me half the fun of riding is to just ride and explore the trails. A lot of climbing, but goes up must come down

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    They have an Android app I just downloaded and installed the map. So once I'm there it will show my location on top of the map image?
    Yep. It works great. I think I did maps for Walker Woods and Glen Major as well. Good to know there's an android app as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Has anybody been to Durham forest area trails today? Durham Forest Centre, Walker Woods, Glen Major etc? If so, how are the conditions?
    :)

mtbr member

I was in Woodnewton on Friday and it was great.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by morkys View Post
    Has anybody been to Durham forest area trails today? Durham Forest Centre, Walker Woods, Glen Major etc? If so, how are the conditions?
    Just got home, 4hrs on the trails, started at 3 Rock and all the way up to DF and back. Hit almost every piece of single track (just not north of the main lot) and gotta say the trails are near perfect! couple places with trees still crossing the trail, and some with a ton of leaves and pine needles, but awesome conditions!

D

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Sounds good. What about mud and snow?
    :)

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Death to snow!! nothing, no real mud to speak of either. I tried out my GoPro for the first time on the bike, if it is any good I'll post a small clip.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbird74 View Post
    Yep. It works great. I think I did maps for Walker Woods and Glen Major as well. Good to know there's an android app as well.
    Used the app for WW and GM yesterday. It worked perfectly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by morkys View Post
    I was at Durham last night and the trails are in great shape. No snow at all now. There was a couple of women's group out for a ride, if you're a single guy may have been a good time to hit the trails last night!
    "By Your Command"

Members who have read this thread: 0