Durham forest directions/conditions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Durham forest directions/conditions

Thinking of Saturday morning headin to Durham forest....(1st time)
    best way to get there and where to park? Coming from QEW & Winston Churchill

conditions? with all the rain the last couple days is it worth it?

Any suggestions on how not to get lost

Cheers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smiley
    Thinking of Saturday morning headin to Durham forest....(1st time)
    best way to get there and where to park? Coming from QEW & Winston Churchill

conditions? with all the rain the last couple days is it worth it?

Any suggestions on how not to get lost
    Cheers
    It'll probably be dry near the big parking lot. Glen Majors may still be wet in some areas.

I can't remember the 404 way but you can take 401 east, North on Brock Rd. in Pickering, Turn right at coppins corners and then I think it's the 2 or 3 right on that road. I think there may even be a sign this year.

mtbr member

Am I thinkin of the right place???

I thought this place was close to Alliston? ITs next to Mansfield MTb centre, some kind of agreement forest...??

Cheers

Jan 2004

Durham Forest....

Braids is right about the directions. You could also come by the 407. Take the 407 right to the end and this is Brock Road. Turn Left and go North.... it is about 20 minutes to Coppins Corners. Turn right and go East. This is Sideroad 21.
    There are two signs at the turn off.... it is in the bottom of a small dip in the road. Turn Right (south) and the parking lot is on the left about 100 yards in.
    It should be dry.... there is a lot of sand in the north part of the forest and the sand underlies all of the area. It hasn't rained for a few days, so you should be good.
    Apparently you can also go on the north side of Sideroad 21 and there are some more agressive trails there, but I have't been there myself yet. Apparently some of the trails from the south side cross over the road and there are more trails on the north side.
    Have fun!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    is it all hilly xc sort of stuff, or are there any really technical (or stunt?) trails in there?

thx,

Shibby

Jan 2004

Nope.... no stunt stuff there....

It is pretty much XC oriented.
    To the north end of the forest are one or two double-tracks with a lot of sandy areas.... hard pedalling. Some sandy climbing areas and a few pretty tricky rooty areas.
    The south end is all pine forest with semi-sandy areas. There are some double tracks that go through the forest so that you can get quickly from one area to the other. Then there are some pretty technical singletracks that sort of criss-cross the entire area and connect the various larger trails. It is usually "Rock and Roots"! Some steep climbing, but only short distances.
    It is very easy to get lost in the various trails etc. You might want to pick up a map for the area. Some of the local shops here in Pickering have a Durham Forest Map.
    Ride on!