Durham Cycling Club President killed while cycling- Mtbr.com
    Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007

Durham Cycling Club President killed while cycling

It was on CBC this morning - while out for a group ride, the president of the Durham Cycling Club was killed (Roman Manko - NOT Tom Hanrahan!). All I could find online was this: Cyclist dies after being struck by car east of Toronto - Toronto - CBC News Tragic accident. Sympathies to the family and to the Club.

Thanks for the clarification, PickeringMTB - that's what happens when I'm half awake listening to the news.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Hey Nerdgirl....just to clarify....It was NOT the President of DMBA that died over the week-end. It was the President of the Durham Cycling Club.....

mtbr member
    Memorial Ride Sunday.

here are the details.

Durham Cycling Club | Roman Manko Memorial Ride

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Sorry to hear.

And what do they mean "turned" in this media report?

mtbr member
    It said the cyclist were going to be turning left. I assumed he was starting to make the left hand turn when the motorist passed in the oncoming lane. Why they need to word it so it seems like it is always cyclist incompetence is beyond me. I know I wasn't there, and there will be opinions from both sides, but it is illegal to change lanes or pass at an intersection.

This must have been horrific for the other riders in the group and the driver. Not to mention, the riders family. Very sad.

mtbr member
    Please note the memorial ride has been postponed.

rbs
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by stew325 View Post
    ...but it is illegal to change lanes or pass at an intersection.
    I don't want to take the side of the driver here, because I think that some patience on their part would have gone a long way to saving a life.

I thought overtaking (and/or changing lanes) in an intersection it was illegal too, but when looking at the HTA there's no mention of it.

Highway Traffic Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8

I looked at a few other discussion groups and it appears to be legal if 'done in safety'.

It's hard to imagine overtaking in any intersection can be done in safety though.

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by rbs View Post
    I don't want to take the side of the driver here, because I think that some patience on their part would have gone a long way to saving a life.

I thought overtaking (and/or changing lanes) in an intersection it was illegal too, but when looking at the HTA there's no mention of it.

Highway Traffic Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8

I looked at a few other discussion groups and it appears to be legal if 'done in safety'.

It's hard to imagine overtaking in any intersection can be done in safety though.
    Not illegal but could easily be the basis for civil negligence
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Hmm. Thought it was. My drivers ed was over 20 years ago, and that's the one and only time I heard that, but it stuck with me. Even if it was illegal, there would have to be exceptions. Stationary blockage of any sort??
    Still, doesn't seem like she was proceeding with caution. But I wasn't there.

No. Just No.
    Hmm. Thought it was. My drivers ed was over 20 years ago, and that's the one and only time I heard that, but it stuck with me. Even if it was illegal, there would have to be exceptions. Stationary blockage of any sort??
    Not to deflect from the primary message here, which is that this is yet another sad and tragic event (condolences to family, friends, and community) but does anyone know if the intersection in question at which the group of cyclists were allegedly intending to make a left turn is a "T" configuration, or else a "+" setup with traffic potentially moving in up to 4 directions?
    Nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I too was surprised to find no evidence of this scenario in the act. Here's the relevant section:

Signal for left or right turn
    142. (1) The driver or operator of a vehicle upon a highway before turning to the left or right at any intersection or into a private road or driveway or from one lane for traffic to another lane for traffic or to leave the roadway shall first see that the movement can be made in safety, and if the operation of any other vehicle may be affected by the movement shall give a signal plainly visible to the driver or operator of the other vehicle of the intention to make the movement. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 142 (1).

So, is it somehow considered as understood that if the driver of the overtaken vehicle first saw that the movement was safe, then gave a signal, they absolutely have the right of way? How could it be otherwise? I know what my personal opinion is, that's for sure, and am very sorry for the victim and family.

From google, intersection appears to have a slight jog in solina road. Appears to be a rural area, I'm guessing 70 or 80 km/h limit.

mtbr member
    cross intersection, 2 stop signs, 60 km/hr, I am told most go faster.

mtbr member
    Is it legal to pass a vehicle making a left hand turn, on the left side, at an intersection?
    I couldn't find anything like that in the traffic act. I've heard of people getting tickets for unsafe passing though.
    Clearly, there are folks here that are familiar with law. I definitely don't claim to be.
    Last edited by stew325; 04-08-2015 at 05:20 PM.

mtbr member
    From the pictures on the Metroland website, there is a solid yellow line on both sides of the intersection, in the picture after the accident, the car is parked up ahead on the north shoulder (westbound side of road).
    It would appear to me that the cyclists were travelling on the left (north) side of the eastbound lane, preparing to turn left (north), the motorist crossed the yellow line to pass them on the left as the first cyclist turned.

mtbr member

I am also sickened by this tragic event, the link below might show the intersection

Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Not to deflect from the primary message here, which is that this is yet another sad and tragic event (condolences to family, friends, and community) but does anyone know if the intersection in question at which the group of cyclists were allegedly intending to make a left turn is a "T" configuration, or else a "+" setup with traffic potentially moving in up to 4 directions?
    https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Sol...19b02295368ea2

mtbr member
    this CBC video shows the intersection well....
    Roman Manko mourned by GTA cycling community - Toronto - CBC News

9 lives
    Sad loss RIP to the cyclist. It must have been horrible experience for the other riders as well, to witness this event

I witnessed an accident several years ago when I used to ride with a club group. A driver in the opposite direction made a left turn and hit several riders in the front of our pack. He underestimated the speed the of group and thought he could make his turn instead of waiting for us to proceed through the intersection (it was a 2 lane road ). I still recall the impact and commotion afterwards. Noone died but there were injuries...3 riders in our group were struck or hit the car but the rest of us had to swerve/stop etc. We all had to give statements to the police etc.

I hope never to repeat that event
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

trail gnome
    ...Why they need to word it so it seems like it is always cyclist incompetence is beyond me...
    I know, right?

If it's a hit-and-run, the headlines will sometimes read "Cyclist struck by/run over by...X", but otherwise, the headlines almost invariably read "Cyclist collides/strikes/runs into X", regardless of who is at fault.

Case in point "Cyclist on Galloping Goose Trail collides with truck in Saanich":

Cyclist on Galloping Goose Trail collides with truck in Saanich

The final sentence of the article reveals "The driver was ticketed for failing to yield and for having expired insurance". So why didn't the headline read "Truck Driver Strikes Cyclist on Galloping Goose Trail in Saanich"?

At least that story had a somewhat happy ending. The cyclist escaped with minor contusions and the driver was ticketed. More often the cyclist winds up dead and no charges are laid. All the motorist has to do is use the "I didn't see them... they came out of nowhere...." defence.