Durham conditions spring 2015- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Durham conditions spring 2015

The LSRCA has posted the following signs at all entrances to Durham Forest.

Durham conditions spring 2015-keep-off-trails.jpg

The DMBA Trail Care Crew will monitor the conditions throughout the spring and will let us know when the trails are good to go.

Mike

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    That is just awesome!!!!! hopefully people that ride, ride and also in my case run can read and will respect the signage.
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikhs View Post
    The LSRCA has posted the following signs at all entrances to Durham Forest.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Keep off the trails.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	976212

The DMBA Trail Care Crew will monitor the conditions throughout the spring and will let us know when the trails are good to go.

Mike
    It would be great to get one of those in Ravenshoe trails too! I know we're all excited about getting out riding but riding too early as we all know wrecks it trails for potentially the entire season!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    when are the trails usually ready? This will be my first year

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by herder View Post
    when are the trails usually ready? This will be my first year
    That's a good question! And it depends on the section as some drain better than others but I'd say mid-April usually, this year I'm thinking the end of April, hopefully I'm wrong.

If its your first year, WELCOME!! A good resource including maps is the DMBA, ( DMBA ) they do group rides during the week and weekends and they have some big plans for new trails this year as well.

D

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Took a trip up to DF late this afternoon, as it turns out the weather forecast for Uxbridge was spot on by the way - 4-5p possible rain, 5-6pm Thundershowers, 6-7 decreasing rain with is stopping at 7p. By 7:20 the rain had stopped, by that point I was already soaked!

Anyway, in case people are curious as I know I have been itching to hear news on the conditions - still not rideable. I parked at the main lot and took the main double track road heading east by the open field area about 30-40meters to see what it was like (did not go near any single track). There were some large wet spots and the couple spots that looked dry still had frost underneath. I turned back quite quickly as to not add more tracks and hit the road south to 3 Rock.

At 3 Rock, I looked at the Abandoned Rd that heads West (Dagmar Rd?) and it was the usual mud fest there at the bottom which it typically is in the rain. Again, I did not enter the trails, but continued on a road ride.

The sign at 3Rock from the TRCA said that they are checking the trail conditions daily so I am sure they will inform the DMBA as soon as they deem them dry enough for traffic.

I'm no expert but I'd be surprised if they are open this weekend, if there is still snow lining the west side of the ditches then for sure there is still snow in the trails.

D

p.s. - I was surprised to see 5 cars in the lot, 2 riders coming back from the trails, either they can't read very well or they did what I did poked their head in and were coming back out, no idea.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by osteo View Post
    Took a trip up to DF late this afternoon, as it turns out the weather forecast for Uxbridge was spot on by the way - 4-5p possible rain, 5-6pm Thundershowers, 6-7 decreasing rain with is stopping at 7p. By 7:20 the rain had stopped, by that point I was already soaked!

Anyway, in case people are curious as I know I have been itching to hear news on the conditions - still not rideable. I parked at the main lot and took the main double track road heading east by the open field area about 30-40meters to see what it was like (did not go near any single track). There were some large wet spots and the couple spots that looked dry still had frost underneath. I turned back quite quickly as to not add more tracks and hit the road south to 3 Rock.

At 3 Rock, I looked at the Abandoned Rd that heads West (Dagmar Rd?) and it was the usual mud fest there at the bottom which it typically is in the rain. Again, I did not enter the trails, but continued on a road ride.

The sign at 3Rock from the TRCA said that they are checking the trail conditions daily so I am sure they will inform the DMBA as soon as they deem them dry enough for traffic.

I'm no expert but I'd be surprised if they are open this weekend, if there is still snow lining the west side of the ditches then for sure there is still snow in the trails.

D

p.s. - I was surprised to see 5 cars in the lot, 2 riders coming back from the trails, either they can't read very well or they did what I did poked their head in and were coming back out, no idea.
    Yeah, it's too bad. It's been at least 15 plus years since I've ridden "too early"... I know better now plus I hate wet conditions anyways. When we have this much snow in the spring, I usually plan to hit Durham in the first or second weekend of May. Judging by what I've seen the last few years, there seems to be a pattern with the last week of April being the earliest to enjoy a mostly dry ride with good trail conditions.

What confuses me is the reports that the Uxbridge Icebreaker course will be dry for Sunday April 19. That will be surprising to me. I would have planned the event for the last weekend of April but I guess we'll see this weekend.
    :)

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    That is the thing with DF I find, travel 1km in any direction and you get different conditions. Adam Rupple did a short Youtube video he has posted on his Chico Racing FB page I saw after I got home and made that post. In it he is standing some where in the trails and you can see dry in some spots but ice in others and that was from yesterday.

I recall riding the Icebreaker many many years ago in an ice age so anything other than that in some ways is an improvement.

Guess we'll see this weekend as you say, I need lots of miles this weekend so after the race will be scoping out the conditions across the road.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Any updates? I am guessing still soft, wet, muddy, ice, snow etc?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I just watched another short video from Adam of Chico Racing and he checked all 3 main spots (DF, 3 Rock and Glen Major) and all are good to go!!!

I'm not very good with FaceBook and can't find the video on YouTube to cross post, but if you have FB, search for Chico Racing and you should find the video.

There is also a post from Terry from the DMBA... here is what he wrote:

"I just did a 2 hour walk in Durham forest scouting trail conditions. The trails that I walked were all good to go. Some double track areas are still wet where the trail is flat and low lying, so you are best to stay off of double track where these conditions exist.
    Thank you to the 99.9% of you who resisted going on the single track while it was so vulnerable. Of course, some people just couldn’t wait, so you will see the ruts they’ve left behind. Hopefully with time these will disappear.
    Have a great riding season,"

Don't think it gets much better than that!!, think the wife and I will be up there tomorrow!!

D

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Nice. Thanks for the update.

mtbr member

thanks for the update

thanks !!!!!
    If I wanted to objectify a women I'd do it on my terms not theirs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Thanks, eager to try out my new bike. Would it be hard for a first timer to find and stay on the dry path? Also I don't need to worry about the wind gusts in the forest, do I?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Was up in the Forest in various sections most of the day today and as Adam Rupple said it seemed most soft spots were in the double track trails, but there were a few in the single track (we spent most of our riding time in the main DF lot). If it was soft or muddy we got off and walked the bike, unlike some of the goofs on the 'Cross bikes they sunk even further.

Herder - if you go to the DMBA website there are maps there with all the single track, that might be your safest bet to help not get lost.

D

mtbr member
    Rode today, single track is fine, some soft spots on double track. Don't go into the pines. Still wasn't ready, tons if mud. Everything else I'd say ride... Just not the pines!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Hows the mosquito/bug situation in there? Is there a better time of day to go when there arn't as many?

Also how do you guys protect yourselves?

mtbr member
    Mosquitos aren't too bad, just keep moving and you'll be fine. If you want just spray a little bug spray... But unless you stop a lot you won't need it

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by campergf23 View Post
    Mosquitos aren't too bad, just keep moving and you'll be fine. If you want just spray a little bug spray... But unless you stop a lot you won't need it

Thanks, that the advice I've been getting. Keep moving. Its a little hard when your learning the trails and not knowing where you are.

I was at Bayview/Stouffville recently and got eaten alive by mosquitoes. Since then I have been worried about mosquitoes and ticks
    Last edited by herder; 07-03-2015 at 08:22 PM.

snowbound
    Jan 2005
    One of the other names for Bayview/Stouffville trails is "Mosquito Coast". While Durham has mosquitos, they are nothing like Bayview/Stouffville.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    How late into the fall do you guys ride? I need some fall gear now.

I'm wondering because I am used to road riding and by mid to late October is gets cold and windy and you really feel it on the country roads. I'm guessing Durham might be different? Do you get protected by all the trees?

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by herder View Post
    How late into the fall do you guys ride? I need some fall gear now.

I'm wondering because I am used to road riding and by mid to late October is gets cold and windy and you really feel it on the country roads. I'm guessing Durham might be different? Do you get protected by all the trees?
    The amount of wind penetrating clothing and creating a wind chill effect on exposed skin, is a function of your own speed + wind speed. With the lower avg speed of mountain biking compared to road, you will generally stay warmer under the same weather conditions. For cold weather riding mountain biking rocks.
    Nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

mtbr member
    I ride until it starts to snow!