Dundas Valley walk in fees to be eliminated- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Dundas Valley walk in fees to be eliminated

In the paper today. Wonder if I can convert my trail pass to a full pass?

The authority plans to scrap parking charges at Confederation Park and walk-in fees at the Dundas Valley Conservation Area.

System won't let me post an URL to the article in The Spec.

Enjoy the free parking at the Eramosa Karst and Tiffany Falls conservation areas while you can.

As part of efforts to meet the city’s demand to hold the line on spending, the Hamilton Conservation Authority is set to introduce a parking charge of $5 at the karst park in upper Stoney Creek and $3 at Tiffany Falls in Ancaster.
    A zero-increase budget submitted by the authority to the city for 2012 projects the fees will generate $40,000 per year at the karst park and $15,000 at Tiffany Falls.

But the news isn’t all bad. The authority plans to scrap parking charges at Confederation Park and walk-in fees at the Dundas Valley Conservation Area.
    The changes go to the board for approval Feb. 2.

To address safety concerns, the authority will ask the city to make the stretch of Mount Albion Road by the karst a no-parking zone, as it has by other areas.

bi-winning
    I think this might be the article you are talking about:

Budget freeze squeezes out free karst parking | Hamilton Community News
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Evil Jr.
    The Valley fees were almost completely unenforceable since there are so many ways in and out of the CA so that just makes sense. For the Karst and Tiffany, there aren't really any options other than to park in the lots so it makes it a lot easier to enforce. The annual pass is still the way to go - we get a tremendous value from ours!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    They were scooped by the Star News, with more details:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundas Star News
    The authority is also planning to scrap parking charges at Confederation Park and walk-in fees at the Dundas Valley Conservation Area.

Mackenzie said the latter fees are unpopular with visitors and only brought in between $5,000 and $10,000 per year because they were hit and miss.

He said the authority hopes to make up for the shortfall through a more aggressive marketing campaign to try to get more people to buy $95 annual passes, which provide free entry to all conservation areas. It currently sells about 6,000 a year.

“There are a great number of entry points into the Dundas Valley. It is not practical to have collection stations at all entry points,” Mackenzie said during a presentation on the fee changes to the authority’s conservation areas advisory board earlier this month.

“Visitors to the Dundas Valley have expressed serious concerns about the attempts to collect the walk-in fee and how it spoils their experience.”
    I was surprised how few annual passes they sell. So worth it.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    In other HCA news, the trails on the way to Christie will be closed while they remove the Crook's Hollow dam. Hamilton Cycling Club will be checking in with them to ensure replacement trails are built.