Dundas Valley Headwaters trail has been "improved"- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Dundas Valley Headwaters trail has been "improved"

Was on the Headwaters trail for the first time this year on Sunday. It's always been a good fitness ride with a few fun downhills. Not so much now. Most of the trail has been heavily graveled.
    The steep downhill from Paddy Green/Powerline Rd. on the north side is mostly gravel. The south downhill hasn't been touched. The section with the 2 root drops and the long gradual downhill is still natural.
    Pretty well everything else is gravel. And of course it's the road gravel they seem to use lately rather than the fines they used to use.
    Will likely drive more riders to Christie - I know I probably won't bother with the Dundas Valley main trails anymore.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Sadly, gravel seems to be the primary response in the Valley to erosion. Headwaters had been gradually turning into singletrack as the middle of the trail became unrideable. I guess now the whole thing is a mess. Just heard about this yesterday as we were building in Christie. That's a real shame. Wish they'd read the IMBA guide to sustainable trails!

mtbr member
    Just got back from a quick lunch time spin. Apparently they got a bulk deal on that gravel, they threw a lot down on the Spring Creek trail as well. I love riding my CX bike through the valley, but when they start throwing that larger gravel down, it makes the experience far less enjoyable.

Bummer about Headwaters. With the late spring and wet conditions, it was getting lots of use under less than ideal conditions. Unfortunately, as Nerdgirl said, they much prefer band-aid solutions.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Was there on Friday, I don't think there is any grape sized gravel left in Ontario ;-)

mtbr member
    I just read this article in the Dundas Star: Dundas Valley?s coarse trails work-in-progress, HCA says | Your online community newspaper for Hamilton, Ontario and area

They said they laid down the bigger gravel in the late fall with the intention of putting the screening that they are so fond of in the Valley, but were unable to because of the severity of December's ice storm and the wet spring.

So on the plus side, that crappy big gravel is temporary. On the downside, the trails will so be covered in that loose crap.
    I love riding my bike!