Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Duke's on fire?

6K views 36 replies 26 participants last post by  GiantMartin 
#1 ·
Quick question..

I'll try to ride down to Queen later today, but I hear that the whole block is on fire...

Hope that the home to my Ellsworth, Santa Cruz, and Specialized FSR is OK

#7 ·
Ah geez...

I heard about the fire this morning and had thought it was on the other side of Bathurst, away from Dukes...My wife on the other hand, feared for the worst and she was sadly right...

I've bought many things at that shop and visit it a number of times a year. The guys have always been very helpful, friendly and fair...

Hopefully the only damage has been material damage and that no one has been hurt...

#11 ·
I am a member of the Lapdogs, Duke's club/race team I have to say I'm shaken this is so heart breaking to see happen. My thoughts go out to the Duke family, Michael, Mark, Greg and everyone else who works at the shop. We'll be here when you rebuild, let us know if you need anything :(

#12 ·
rockyuphill said:
I wonder how many people are waking up and realizing that there bike was in for service at Duke's. That's the sort of paperwork that can take months to sort out with their insurance company.
I fall into that category but I'm just glad nobody was hurt. Bikes can be replaced, people can't. My sympathies to everyone at Duke's and the neighbouring shops and homes.

#15 ·
OH....

Crrrap!!!

My favorite bike shop, 4 bikes bought there. Good cannondale service, easy going sales staff. Never a problem with advice.

Duke's rebulit please!!!!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

#17 ·
Always tragic when a family loses a business

Very few well known family run businesses left in this country. Always tragic and strikes to the heart for the family. They will return, but will suffer terribly for the next year or more from loss of income, and insurance, paperwork, lawyer, legal system headaches.

#22 ·
that's the only bike shop I felt really comfortable in... bought my helmet, new shoes, new pedals and some other accessories from there ... the staff are great... Mike, Mark and the rest...

ahh that totally is heartbreaking to look at... I was going to stop in after I recovered from my broken leg to look at road bikes...

it was only a 15 minute walk from my work...

my favorite pizza place is gone too...:sad:

they'll get back on their feet I am sure... lucky nobody was hurt...

#23 ·
Gary Duke has already said he's going to rebuild it wherever he can, so I suspect they'll be back at it later this year or early '09.

It'll be strange not to see them at the bike show in a few weeks :(

I bought my RFX there many years ago, great place with great people.

Clem

#25 ·
nspace said:
Mark said they will be at the bike show and are hoping to get something up and running in the next couple of weeks. He mentioned something about a "fire sale" on YouTube.

Glad to see they are staying positive and optimistic.
Good luck with the fire sale thing...I was speaking with a videographer from Global at the scene yesterday...tells me that all of the bikes have melted into a "solid mass"...and those tires sure can burn.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.