Dropper post: Who to buy from in GTA?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Dropper post: Who to buy from in GTA?

Hey everybody,

Like a lot of folks, once I rode with it, I don't want to ride without it. Also I tried going down a descent greater than 20% and wiped out and avoided a potentially serious injury because the seat was up too high.

Since almost all are so finicky and require regular maintenance, I was wondering if you could recommend a shop I can purchase from who would be there if it needed to be looked after.

My only restrictions are:
    1) Price: Would avoid something in the $300+ range
    2) I have both front and rear derailleurs so accommodating the giant levers of D.O.S.S. won't be ergonomic.

FWIW, my preference is a KS 950-R
    '11 Epic Comp, Shimano SPD M780, Giant Contact Switch-R, Specialized Ribcage, Bontrager Trip 200, Ergon GS1

mtbr member
    I have been using the Gravity dropper post. It was over $300.00. I am a heavier rider and have punished at Hilton Falls all season and still works great and no slop. I did a lot of research before getting this post, but it was 3 years ago. May be that something else has come out. I saw a bike magazine article earlier this summer rating it the best post still.
    If you know that this is it the post you want, check some online prices and then see if your LBS will match or come close. You can buy it anywhere, but a LBS can install if cable needs to be routed through the frame and support the product should something go wrong.
    Burnt Norton

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    It's more than you want to spend, but the 9point8 is designed and built locally. Full disclosure: I do not ride a dropper post.

Muskoka
    I have had a RockShox Reverb on my RM Altitude for 2+ years with zero issues
    https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...127?source=pwa

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"
    Rocky Mountain Sherpa Overland

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post
    It's more than you want to spend, but the 9point8 is designed and built locally. Full disclosure: I do not ride a dropper post.
    I looked into it. Ridiculously expensive but apparently a superb piece of engineering. Also I don't want something interfering with my brake. I see that there is an alternative lever but didn't see it in the operations diagram.
    '11 Epic Comp, Shimano SPD M780, Giant Contact Switch-R, Specialized Ribcage, Bontrager Trip 200, Ergon GS1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by secret agent View Post
    I have been using the Gravity dropper post. It was over $300.00. I am a heavier rider and have punished at Hilton Falls all season and still works great and no slop. I did a lot of research before getting this post, but it was 3 years ago. May be that something else has come out. I saw a bike magazine article earlier this summer rating it the best post still.
    If you know that this is it the post you want, check some online prices and then see if your LBS will match or come close. You can buy it anywhere, but a LBS can install if cable needs to be routed through the frame and support the product should something go wrong.
    They haven't come down in price. I'd prefer to buy it locally as well since they are so finicky. But I am looking at $150+ in price difference. I could buy an e-Ten with that difference as a back-up.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by xlash View Post
    They haven't come down in price. I'd prefer to buy it locally as well since they are so finicky. But I am looking at $150+ in price difference. I could buy an e-Ten with that difference as a back-up.
    Remember you get what you pay for. And a lot of the dropper posts will have issues at some point. And in that area especially with Fox, Rock Shox, and the other one's that use oils, pressurized gases, and what not to work. Pay careful attention to what each companies repair and warranty is. Some will require your shop to send the post to them for the work and some will not. So in the end the shop is really just the middle man.

Gravity Dropper is pretty much on par with cost for the post. One big advantage when considering above is that any work can be done on your work bench or if not mechanically inclined at your LBS. Don't have to send the post in to them for the work. Which decreases downtime.

You mention about the lever position for a dropper post. Keep in mind that while the post will come with the OEM remote there is the option to install one that works better for you.

http://forums.mtbr.com/turner/gravit...te-856038.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog View Post
    I have had a RockShox Reverb on my RM Altitude for 2+ years with zero issues
    It's still too expensive but I do wish it wasn't. I don't need a 'stealth' or 'integra' model. I just need something cheap and reliable. It doesn't have to have infinite drop or the buttery smoothness of hydraulic operation. I don't even care if the cable meets the post at the collar or the head.

Looks like there's nothing out there for me...at least not this year. Unless I order online and take a massive leap of faith.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    I love reading the Brit forums and their let's tinker with it mentality.

TMARS dropper - cable replacement Singletrack Forum

mtbr member
    KS pretty much is the only dropper that matches your criteria. There are two secrets with a KS dropper:
    1.) don't over-tighten the seatpost collar as this will restrict the last cm of re-extension.
    2.) cover the area where the cable is levered under the saddle, such as an inner tube cut-out. Keeping this area free of debris keeps the post going.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Zoidberg View Post
    KS pretty much is the only dropper that matches your criteria. There are two secrets with a KS dropper:
    1.) don't over-tighten the seatpost collar as this will restrict the last cm of re-extension.
    2.) cover the area where the cable is levered under the saddle, such as an inner tube cut-out. Keeping this area free of debris keeps the post going.
    Not exactly because the Supernatural or i950-r isn't very reliable and if I look at the LEV it's much too expensive. I think I'll just have to get to a point where I can justify spending over $300 and get the Thomson Elite and do the install myself. I'll sacrifice on the price but I'll get a reliable product that requires less maintenance than most.

mtbr member
    Not exactly because the Supernatural or i950-r isn't very reliable and if I look at the LEV it's much too expensive. I think I'll just have to get to a point where I can justify spending over $300 and get the Thomson Elite and do the install myself. I'll sacrifice on the price but I'll get a reliable product that requires less maintenance than most.
    WRT reliability see my post above. No pun intended.

humber river advocate
    been using a lev integra for almost a year... no issues i know people who have been using thompson, fox, reverb, giant in house brand... couple of things i've learned... dropper posts are awesome, really make tech trails fun and milking the most out of any dh run. for myself 125mm of travel is more then enough, probably could get by with less. pay attention to the quality of the seat rail clamp, you want a good interface. my next dropper seat post will be from Home - Nine Point Eight Inc.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

Muskoka
    It's still too expensive but I do wish it wasn't. I don't need a 'stealth' or 'integra' model. I just need something cheap and reliable. It doesn't have to have infinite drop or the buttery smoothness of hydraulic operation. I don't even care if the cable meets the post at the collar or the head.

Looks like there's nothing out there for me...at least not this year. Unless I order online and take a massive leap of faith.
    I bought mine off ebay ( brand new - factory packaging ) for about 60% of what the LBS wanted. Installed it myself including shortening the hose and bleeding the line by following an instructional video on youtube. It was easy-peasy and like I said have had no issues with it!
    https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...127?source=pwa

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"
    Rocky Mountain Sherpa Overland

mtbr member
    The only one I can think of that really fits your price-point (mentioned in passing by Singlesprocket above) is the Giant dropper post. It won't win you any cool points but it does the same thing the rest of them do. My shop may have one in stock I can check tomorrow.

Contact Switch Remote Seatpost (Seatposts) - Bike Gear | Giant Bicycles | Canada

FWIW maybe some people have not had any issue with their Reverbs, but working at a shop I have seen MANY with problems. They have a great 2 year warranty but be prepared for down time. This is not necessarily Reverb specific, but since they are the most popular post out there it is pretty apparent that they are not 100% reliable and headache-free.

humber river advocate
    i would jump on that giant post, marc has been using one all summer and loves it. a great value item.

Quote Originally Posted by veteran_youth View Post
    The only one I can think of that really fits your price-point (mentioned in passing by Singlesprocket above) is the Giant dropper post. It won't win you any cool points but it does the same thing the rest of them do. My shop may have one in stock I can check tomorrow.

Contact Switch Remote Seatpost (Seatposts) - Bike Gear | Giant Bicycles | Canada

FWIW maybe some people have not had any issue with their Reverbs, but working at a shop I have seen MANY with problems. They have a great 2 year warranty but be prepared for down time. This is not necessarily Reverb specific, but since they are the most popular post out there it is pretty apparent that they are not 100% reliable and headache-free.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

Workin for the weekend!
    I looked into it. Ridiculously expensive but apparently a superb piece of engineering. Also I don't want something interfering with my brake. I see that there is an alternative lever but didn't see it in the operations diagram.
    The ThumB lever can be mounted 3 ways, it's pretty unique. Checkout the new post they are releasing as well, lighter and more cost effective, no detents though.

Interbike: 2015 9point8 Fall Line dropper seatpost | Mountain Bike Review

Lifetime warranty and a local builder seems pretty cool.
    Todd :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    I bought the Giant post this season and love it, have had zero issues with it (and I'm a pretty large heavy guy). Pretty hard to beats it's price as well.

mtbr member
    I looked at the Contact dropper post as well. Is it similar to a Fusion HiLo? I really want to buy locally rather than online but the price difference is massive...almost twice as much.

Regardless, I am willing to call and find out. Please PM me details. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by -Todd- View Post
    The ThumB lever can be mounted 3 ways, it's pretty unique. Checkout the new post they are releasing as well, lighter and more cost effective, no detents though.

Interbike: 2015 9point8 Fall Line dropper seatpost | Mountain Bike Review

Lifetime warranty and a local builder seems pretty cool.
    Lifetime warranty is great. But outside of that this dropper won't work because it's offered for internally routed only. Also once dealers mark up their price I am looking at twice as much.

Getting the Thomson Elite V2 seems like the best option right now (unless something develops for the Giant Contact). It's a proven performer. While most posts develop fore-aft play, this is one of the few that statistically is more reliable. The handlebar lever is perfect.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by veteran_youth View Post
    I second this, though I would actually say Reverbs have more more problems per-unit than most other posts. I've found very few people can get a season of riding in before needing a cartridge rebuild. While the posts indeed have a two year warranty, I'm not entirely sure that covers the need for a cartridge rebuild. I think that warranty may only be a typical 90 day seal warranty. I also work at a shop (same shop as veteran_youth, though a different location) and this is a service that we charge $150 for. It is a very long and complicated procedure. Not something many Reverb owners are happy to discover.

I'm a big fan of the Thomson posts, though they are among the most expensive out there. KS Posts come at cheaper price points, though I can't attest to the quality of anything other than the LEV. As veteran_youth said, though, the Giant posts seem to function and hold up well at a solid price.

mtbr member
    WRT Reverbs supposedly post 2012 models are more reliable. Can anyone attest to that? Are you able to tell model year on a Reverb?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Re: Dropper post: Who to buy from in GTA?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Zoidberg View Post
    WRT Reverbs supposedly post 2012 models are more reliable. Can anyone attest to that? Are you able to tell model year on a Reverb?
    You are able to tell the model year of the Reverb fairly easily (though I forget what to look for at the moment, I would have to look it up). However, I have seen the same problems with both the new and old models. A co-worker of mine had to get a cartridge rebuild after 3 months on a post he got in May (though it was covered under warranty at that point).

I can most certainly say that almost every Reverb attached to a bike that comes in after a season of riding needs a cartridge rebuild. People often opt to deal with a squishy post rather than pay for the service. But almost without fail a season of riding will merit a full service on a Reverb from what I've seen.

mtbr member
    Good to know. Also glad I didnt spring for the $300 reverb sale at crc. I was really tempted at that price.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Speaking of dropper posts. Anyone have any details on the new lever 9Poing8 will be bringing out other than bike show details?

mtbr member
    I ended up getting the Giant Contact. Picked it up this evening so haven't had a chance to ride it. Can't wait. My bike is finally complete.