Downhillin' in Ontario (not racing)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Downhillin' in Ontario (not racing)

So, where are the good downhill opportunities in Southern Ontario?

4 years ago I got into DH'ing through doing the O-Cups in Souther Ontario.

Then when I wanted bigger trails, I would go to Bromont in Quebec and Plattekill in New York.

I've been out of the biking scene for a good 2 years and starting to get back into it. Now that I finally have a XC bike and doing more xc riding, I wanted to also eventually find some good DH runs to do but not have to travel 5+ hours to get to it.

What kinda of services does Blue offer? I haven't ridden there in a few years and back then you had to take a van up and there were limited trails to ride down.

Thanks for the info!

Amy

Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacebabe
    So, where are the good downhill opportunities in Southern Ontario?

4 years ago I got into DH'ing through doing the O-Cups in Souther Ontario.

Then when I wanted bigger trails, I would go to Bromont in Quebec and Plattekill in New York.

I've been out of the biking scene for a good 2 years and starting to get back into it. Now that I finally have a XC bike and doing more xc riding, I wanted to also eventually find some good DH runs to do but not have to travel 5+ hours to get to it.

What kinda of services does Blue offer? I haven't ridden there in a few years and back then you had to take a van up and there were limited trails to ride down.

Thanks for the info!

Amy
    They have lift access now, but only one lift. Lift lines is crazy on weekend. Look on their website www.bluemountain.ca for the trail map. The other place is kelso but I've never been there since you'll have to walk your bike up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by esmundo
    They have lift access now, but only one lift. Lift lines is crazy on weekend. Look on their website www.bluemountain.ca for the trail map. The other place is kelso but I've never been there since you'll have to walk your bike up.
    I remember for DH races at Kelso, on the friday practice evening we would ride down.. haul bikes up the slope...
    ride down...
    haul bikes up the slope...
    ride down...

****.. I was in great shape then. :P

Since I go to Kelso for XC riding.. the small DH sections are fun.. and then that long double trail ride up is a GREAT workout. *ouf*

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Have they done anything like a trail graded for riding uphill at Blue Mountain? I know the future of the sport is all about chairlifts and 8" of travel, but for old-school riders with an ordinary hardtail bike, there's no value waiting in line for an hour under the hot sun, when the hill can be easily climbed in about 10 minutes. In years past I would ride back up on Scenic caves road, but if I have to pay for a trail pass now, I'd be needing an uphill trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay.
    Have they done anything like a trail graded for riding uphill at Blue Mountain? I know the future of the sport is all about chairlifts and 8" of travel, but for old-school riders with an ordinary hardtail bike, there's no value waiting in line for an hour under the hot sun, when the hill can be easily climbed in about 10 minutes. In years past I would ride back up on Scenic caves road, but if I have to pay for a trail pass now, I'd be needing an uphill trail.
    no designated uphill trails yet although they are working on expanding their xc offerings which are limited at the moment. You'd be surprised how many folks you see on ht xc bikes in line for the lift though.
    Lift lines will get better once they open 7 days a week later in June.
    I've heard there are some xc trails in the forest at the top of the mountain (along the road past the Blue section) but have not explored anything there yet.

For Southern Ontario lift assist DH Blue is it at the moment, closest after that would be Calabogie which is approx 1hr West of Ottawa (not sure of their schedule though this summer) followed by Camp Fortune in Chelsea (just north of Ottawa) then onto either Bromont or Platti.

Blue has come a long way in the 3 years they've had the hill open, it's far from perfect but consider it a work in progress.

Clem