Don/Ravenshoe- Mtbr.com

Thread: Don/Ravenshoe

Apr 2005

Don/Ravenshoe

Anyone have any idea whether either of these are dry enough to ride and/or think they will be within the next few days?

Mar 2004

we're all itchin for dirt....

but I DO NOT suggest riding the Don until May at least. Past experience, and a broken ankle because of greasy clay gives me no reason to touch the Don until then. The clay that is the Don trail needs a looooong time to dry out, and, your riding pleasure not withstanding, it's extremely hard on the longevity of the trail system to ride it too early. We all know this, yet I'm desperate to hit some dirt this weekend. I might try Ravenshoe and just stay off Stinky and Meany, and concentrate on looping the northern sandy stuff and pinning that ladder drop that scared me silly last year. But if it's suggested I don't by others on this thread, I'll figure they know best and Urban it is. This thread is under "save the trails" so I guess we should mutualy abide by that, and not ride our favs too early.
    Gabe
    Quote Originally Posted by fastwheniwanttobe
    Anyone have any idea whether either of these are dry enough to ride and/or think they will be within the next few days?

Mar 2004

Check Dropmachine.com forum for the Don...

They have a thread entitled to the Don. Check it out, things look more promising than I expected.

banned
    Feb 2005
    Do not trust the web, do your own research.

mtbr member
    The Don is clay mud there is no way it's dry right now. I also think since it's such a high traffic trail it may be bad for bikers to be on it this early.

I imagine the high sandy pine areas of Raveshoe are dry but the fun technical swampy stuff is well... swampy, wet and may even still be under some water.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

New question here. Is Ravenshoe off limit to bikers ?

someone mentioned that the bridges and stunts were removed from ravenshoe on other thread. Does this mean Ravenshoe has become strictly XC trail or off limit to bikers completely ?

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Phat Tyred
    Do not trust the web, do your own research.
    If you do not trust the web, why are you here? Honestly. Or did you just forget to insert the sarcastic smiley
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Apr 2005
    hmm.. interesting stuff..

I live up at bathurst/sheppard right near Earl Bales park.. the (pathetically small) amount of singletrack in there is reasonably dried out at this point (not particularly muddy) so I was thinking the don might be rideable as well over the weekend seeing as among other things we've had a week of nothing but sunshine... I think i'm going to ride down there anyways on Saturday to check and report back one way or another.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard
    someone mentioned that the bridges and stunts were removed from ravenshoe on other thread. Does this mean Ravenshoe has become strictly XC trail or off limit to bikers completely ?
    I was there last year and while a lot of the stunts were gone, it was still open to bikers.

I hadnt been there before so i dont know actually how much used to be there, and i havent been back this year yet.

mtbr member

Good job! everythings peechy

i was on the don yesterday and it was remarkably dry for this time of year. as for ravenshoe i waas there on april 11 and it was in great shape, some icy snowy patches on the double track but eveyrthing else was great, kelsos dry too, but dont know if its open yet, and before i get binary beeten for riding the trails before there open without paying i buy a season pass everyyear and work atleast 50 hours on the trails AT kelso last year.

anyon know how durham forest is was thinking of skipping school tomrow afternoon for a ride if anyone was interested.
    STEVE
    If I wanted to objectify a women I'd do it on my terms not theirs.

Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Braids
    The Don is clay mud there is no way it's dry right now. I also think since it's such a high traffic trail it may be bad for bikers to be on it this early.
    The main ridge run in the Don has been in perfect condition now for a week. Surprisingly so considering what a crappy winter we just had. In fact the conditions are far better than all of last summer!

I already rode that
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowenbrau
    The main ridge run in the Don has been in perfect condition now for a week. Surprisingly so considering what a crappy winter we just had. In fact the conditions are far better than all of last summer!
    I noticed a few sections that werent in that great condition but it was mainly riders riding around the mud puddles/wet sections.

Apr 2005

Don Update.

If anyone is considering riding the don, do it. It's dry to the point of being dusty. There are no wet spots whatsoever on the trail.. a little shocking at this time of year. I did both the upper and lower trails.. can't speak for the trail to Sunnybrook or the loop on the other side of the river but I have a feeling both are still off-limits.

Members who have read this thread: 0