Does Kelso care about MTN bikes?- Mtbr.com

May 2006

Does Kelso care about MTN bikes?

Has anyone noticed Kelso no longer lists the trail conditions on their new website? They don't even list the number for the trail conditions. I have also noticed that when you call them thery rarely answer. You get sent into a voice mail hell that does not have an extentsion to get trail conditions info. (unless it has been changed this week)

Since we pay to ride there I think we should demand reasonable service in return. I drove all the way out there just to find the trails closed. I can't imagine they treat skiers like that. If they are going to close the trails every time it rains they need to post that info clearly. If you need to know if the trails are open, post that info on your site and have a voice message number people can call to easily get that info.

While we are at it we should have them fix the broken man made ramps etc in the park. The log ramp at the begining of the Extreme trail has been taped up for almost a month, and the end of that trail has a really scary hunk of sheet metal that should be removed before someone cuts themselves badly. Ride at your own risk does not extend to bad maintenance.

Anyone else feel the same way. Call and email them like I did

[email protected]

mtbr member

I would have to agree somewhat...

Quote Originally Posted by helvetica
    Has anyone noticed Kelso no longer lists the trail conditions on their new website? They don't even list the number for the trail conditions. I have also noticed that when you call them thery rarely answer. You get sent into a voice mail hell that does not have an extentsion to get trail conditions info. (unless it has been changed this week)

Since we pay to ride there I think we should demand reasonable service in return. I drove all the way out there just to find the trails closed. I can't imagine they treat skiers like that. If they are going to close the trails every time it rains they need to post that info clearly. If you need to know if the trails are open, post that info on your site and have a voice message number people can call to easily get that info.

While we are at it we should have them fix the broken man made ramps etc in the park. The log ramp at the begining of the Extreme trail has been taped up for almost a month, and the end of that trail has a really scary hunk of sheet metal that should be removed before someone cuts themselves badly. Ride at your own risk does not extend to bad maintenance.

[email protected]

Wow, I guess I am on the Halton mtb trail slamfest this morning (refer to other post about Hilton Falls). I would have to agree with you to some extent. I haven't found trail maintenance to be so much of a problem, but if you read my other post in regards to the Quarry across the road with terrible trail markings, I'm not impressed with the Halton Region Conservation Authority either. Unfortunately, there is likely someone who doesn't get it when it comes to the mtb community. Here we have two areas very close together, both of which are pay as you ride only (this is a joke) that don't particularily seem to understand expectations of trail users when we are paying. Let me say, I am very much an advocate of paying for use, but if I do, things need to be looked after. It would be good to have whomever is responsible for trail maintenance, if they are not a biker, to be consulting with someone in the mtb community as to our needs. Simple as that...Now I am going to get flammed and told to volunteer etc...Oh well, that comes with b!tching about things I guess...

Neil

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    From what I heard, Kelso has one seasonal employee to do trail maintenance and his other duties include cleaning and mowing, those being put in first priority. I agree totally that something needs to be done...

They should have a trail maintenance day at Kelso like they did at Hilton Falls, it's amazing what one day and 30 able bodied people can accomplish!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by helvetica

[email protected]
    Trail conditions can be found here:

http://www.conservationhalton.com/Sh...?subCatID=1226

To get there I used the quick links pull down, selected "conservation halton parks", selected "Kelso" and the trail conditions link is on the left side. Not too difficult.

I have a seasons pass at Kelso and thus ride there a lot. I have met the guy who does the trail maintenance numerous times and he is a good guy. I think the trails are in good shape and there have a been a few stunts added, although I am not there for that kind of stuff. I think he has done a better job than others in previous years so I think there is progress. If you think improvements can be made or some areas need repair then approach them to volunteer to get a group together to help do these things. If you are concerned about a piece of sheet metal on the trail, get off your bike, solicit a few other riders help and move it....I do that all the time when there is debris on the trail I can move myself or with a little help. We can't really expect one guy to do it all and I don't see why Kelso needs to add more trail staff.

Steve

mtbr member

Membership?

Quote Originally Posted by sperky
    Trail conditions can be found here:

http://www.conservationhalton.com/Sh...?subCatID=1226

To get there I used the quick links pull down, selected "conservation halton parks", selected "Kelso" and the trail conditions link is on the left side. Not too difficult.

I have a seasons pass at Kelso and thus ride there a lot. I have met the guy who does the trail maintenance numerous times and he is a good guy. I think the trails are in good shape and there have a been a few stunts added, although I am not there for that kind of stuff. I think he has done a better job than others in previous years so I think there is progress. If you think improvements can be made or some areas need repair then approach them to volunteer to get a group together to help do these things. If you are concerned about a piece of sheet metal on the trail, get off your bike, solicit a few other riders help and move it....I do that all the time when there is debris on the trail I can move myself or with a little help. We can't really expect one guy to do it all and I don't see why Kelso needs to add more trail staff.

Steve
    Steve,

Where'd you pay for the membership and how much was it? I didn't think you could buy an mtb membership because it is classified as a ticketed activity there?

Volunteering is great and kudos to those who get out and do it. That said, if we are paying (which we should be), then we should also expect not to have to be cleaning up things that don't belong on the trail. From what I have seen for traffic of bikers there, it's fair to suggest that we generate a reasonable amount of cash flow to them. And if so, they should have the staff to support proper trail maintenance...I know that TRCA has the assistance of Chico and funds from their events, but those trails rarely, if ever, are not maintained. Trees that are down are removed within 1-2 days...There's just no consistency between various payed venues.

N.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I do volunteer trail work and I always stop and remove debris from the trail that may injure others! Everyone should be looking out for stuff like that. I also understand some people are too busy to do volunteer trail work and hardly have time to get out and ride... If they advertised a volunteer trail maintenance day i'm sure there would be a huge turnout at Kelso. I personally would love to go in and build more stunts / bridge options on extreme (nothing crazy, all doable on a trail bike), but unfortunately I don't think the conservation authority would be too keen with chainsaws and wood being hauled in.

As for the season's pass, you can get it at the Kelso gatehouse. $70 gets you a season's pass, and $100 gets you a family pass which is basically your carload. Great if you carpool regularly with a group. And that gets you into all Halton Conservation areas (Kelso and Hilton being the only ones worthwhile for mtb)

http://www.conservationhalton.com/Sh...?subCatID=1007

phil

Sep 2006

Cool-blue Rhythm Kelso/ Halton trail repair

I agree that some thing needs to be done, and being there is only one maintanace employee who does all the work lets set up a trail repair day with the conservation authority and possible reductions to are memberships which can be used at Halton or Kelso. I would like to know what the Conservation committe and all riders would think of haveing winter trail rides which take place at Halton Falls but usally cause arguments with cross-country skiers. Are sport has evolved to a yearly activity here in Ontario and winter trail riding can be some of the funnest and great workouts there are. To talk briefly on Kelso closing the top parking lot after a rain fall I can understand the fear of trail damage. But saying that, Kelso trails have a great drainage system and thoes spots that take an extra day to dry can be cured by little effort. I usally park down the road from the top lot and ride regardless as I have paid my membership in advance and drive a 35min to reach Kelso and I will ride!!!! Sign me up for trail maintanace and let the games begin. CHEERS LOPEZ TEST PILOT:thumbsup[email protected]:

Economy Stimulator
    Sep 2004
    went there on friday after work...3pm...summit entrance said closed due to trail conditions...website said open...drove down the road and parked...had a great ride...donated the $7 to some local apple grower...in exchange for a couple delicious apples! Ride while the ridings good!

IMBA-GORBA Bike Patrol

You be the judge

Funny how this tread started with bashing Kelso and the Holton Conservation for not posting trail info to trespassing. Whether you pay per day or have a season pass if the trail is closed you can be charged with trespassing.
    Why would they close the trails during or after a rain? Not so much because riders will cause trail damage but so that they don't get sued because someone thinks they are able to ride on slick trails and wipes out breaking their neck.
    Liability sucks. It only takes one of us to screw it for the rest.
    Don't get pissed at the people that provide a place to ride but to the ones that feel they need to be compensated for their short comings.

Sep 2006

Good job!

You are correct, it is sad that there are poeple who taking there own risk can assume that there injury is liable to a facilty or person whom they have never met! Saying this Halton falls rarley closes it,s trails during or after a day of rain. I salute Halton falls it is some of the most technical riding in Ontario and I love it. Riders themselves, should take heed and beaware of there limits on trail conditions and use the appropriate gear to protect themselves in all conditions. Do you think your local municipality would ban you from jogging in the rain if deemed unsafe? Can we assume that near future cars and trucks will be driven only on sunny days! Would Kelso agree or bike and trail patrol suggest that the same membership which Halton and Kelso share be used seperatley for rain conditions. These threads were biult for riders who have qestions and love biking and some hold moutainbiking as a religion. I don,t intend to slam any views or members who enter this forum,but I have yet to see a trail bike patrol anwhere on Kelso or Halton falls unless ther on an A.T.V. which honestly is the last thing we need to see on any bike or hiking trail! With all respect RIDE THE WEAHTER DONT LET THE WEATHER RIDE YOU!!!

May 2006
    I'm guessing they likely close due to trail errosion more so than liability, but I could be wrong. That said I'm not sure if they close the trails to hikers during the same period. If they don't then it makes no sense at all.

Not a km from my house is a city funded skate park with ramps etc. open all year long, rain or shine. It has no one supervising, no age restrictions, not mandatory helmets and they are riding on ashphalt. How does the city get liability for a 14 year old doing a 360 who comes crashing down onto his helmetless head? How do they get insurance for lakes that have no life gaurds on duty?

Honestly if they have to close the trails fine, just be consistent and clear about it. Also be sure you have made the infor readily available to people before you head out. They have included the link on the site but you still have to know the 503 (508?) extention in order to get the info via phone. It used to be a prompt.

Lastly I do think if they are going to charge they need to spend a little more time on maintenance and include even more challenges. They need to give us stuff we can't get for free elsewhere. Make us want to pay and we will. It really is simple business 101 and is something every ski or golf course survives on. Not sure why biking has a much lower bar? Is it because the riders have lowered it? Are we not demanding and rewarding locations enough?

Sep 2006
    You said it perfect, CHEERS LOPEZ

Members who have read this thread: 0