Does everyone have SAD???- Mtbr.com
    Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007

Does everyone have SAD???

What's with the excess crankiness around here lately? Not enough full spectrum light?

In the spirit of being positive, what cycling-related thing are you looking forward to most in the coming year?

I have two.

1. The Joyride Women's Weekend. It's going to be incredible.

2. Trans-Wales. Even if it rains (it will, I hear), it should be awesome.

FeelIng Cranky!
    1. Joyride Womens weeked!!!
    2. My New Bike!
    3. Group rides with the crew!
    4. Solo rides with my dog.
    5. Maybe a few more events with the crew?
    6. Wed night Coulson Hill!

Yippeeee!! can't wait!

Lisa.

All my faucets is Moen.
    How can you have SAD when there is XC skiing abound?

So much I'm looking forward to this year In particular racing; the first OCup, Provincials, a 100 miler, 24 hr races, the return of the weekly series in St. Catharines, racing my first national championship, CDMBR is always a fun weekend.

But I'm really looking forward to helping others become better riders/racers through the club as well as spending a week in South Carolina.

Cheers to all on a happy and of course HEALTHY 2011 bike season.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Looking forward to in 2011.

1. Riding my own hand built hardtail frame.
    2. Four Kings in Whistler
    3. Euro vacation riding the Alps in the fall.
    4. Riding with my old crew in Mansfield on a trip back this summer.
    5. Selling our apartment and getting a bigger place so I have a bike/ski/moto workshop.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    1. Women's weekend at Joyride
    2.24 hrs of Great Glenn
    3/4 S.S and HAN
    5 Getting out more this summer to ride.

Evil Jr.
    #1 Thing Bound to Cause Me The Most Anxiety
    Being Race Director for the Good Friday Road Race.

Things That Are Bound to Be Awesome
    -Frostbike
    -Hell of the North
    -Trans Wales
    -Super D
    -CX season

Crossing My Fingers
    -Building "legitimate" trails in Hamilton (stay tuned)...
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Lemmy Rules!
    1. Doing Paris to Ancaster on an honest-to-goodness cyclocross bike
    2. Seeing and catching up with the usual suspects at the first race of the season
    3. Riding my new road bike for the first time (it arrived on Dec 1, just before the snow began to fly)
    4. Paul's Dirty Enduro 100k
    5. Watching the sun rise as I ride to work
    6. My first season of cyclocross racing
    7. Delstalk Anti-Race 2011
    8. No more threads about winter footwear, winter clothing or winter riding
    Strava made me do it....

namagomi
    Monday was the most blue day of the year(According to those smart scientists)... I am still in grouch recovery(as always)

snowbound
    Jan 2005
    Spring trip to South Carolina
    Paris Ancaster
    Thursday night rides with my friends at Durham forest

Steady Creepin'
    I have SAD, it's the worst..

banned
    Feb 2005

Let there be Light

The sun is so bright when reflected of f the snow it makes me happy to live in a place where we have variety of weather and temperature. And the house/couch is so comfy after being out in the cold that watching a movie during our long nights is such a pleasure, something I rarely do during the summer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTmq67v6OGs

1. Ride some new trail east of Peterbough at an old ski hill.
    2. Continue North West from Blantyre
    3. Continue South East from Killbride.
    4. See how Crank the Shield/North Shore are working in.
    5. More weekly Gears and Beers with my riding friends.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phat Tyred
    4. See how Crank the Shield/North Shore are working in.
    We rode Crank/Shore twice this season (Marathon and CTS) and they're pretty messed up from all the logging. The new detours on Crank have really dampened the flow and Shore has some long, boring hike-a-bike sections now.

Of course, it's their land and they're free to do what they want with it but the mind boggles as to why you'd ask someone to build a trail through a spot you knew you were going to log the following year.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster
    #1 Thing Bound to Cause Me The Most Anxiety
    Being Race Director for the Good Friday Road Race.
    Wow. Race Director!

After last year's race, I had pretty much not decided to do that one again, and in fact I think I had become pretty much a former road racer (with the probable exception of the Niagara Classic).

But, I've been hearing some news about a new course that includes Sydenham hill (which I've never seen, but I hear it's a pretty serious climb) and I think you'll see me there.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by HSCoach2
    But, I've been hearing some news about a new course that includes Sydenham hill (which I've never seen, but I hear it's a pretty serious climb) and I think you'll see me there.
    I will neither confirm nor deny any rumours right now but with luck, I should be at liberty to divulge a few more details in the next few days.

PS. We live at the bottom of Sydenham and it is a doozy!

I dd what you see there.
    Dunno about myself but my bank account really prefers this season.

I hide on afternoons and collect the shift premium and pretty much all the overtime I want for 3 months. No management, no waking up early to minus 20 temps and 3 inches of fresh snow not cleaned off the road yet so traffic has to pretend like it's the first time they've ever seen snow, etc.

In reference to the question, the thing I look forward to most is actually getting back on my bike when the snow is gone and the warm weather is back! No interest in racing, or upgrading stuff, or even the social aspect of it all, I just want to ride my bike, period!

banned
    Feb 2005
    We rode Crank/Shore twice this season (Marathon and CTS) and they're pretty messed up from all the logging. The new detours on Crank have really dampened the flow and Shore has some long, boring hike-a-bike sections now.

Of course, it's their land and they're free to do what they want with it but the mind boggles as to why you'd ask someone to build a trail through a spot you knew you were going to log the following year.
    I felt the same way when I rode it this summer, could not believe Crank the Shield was mucked with within a year. They need to log their forest, but that sucks for the trail to be altered so quickly and the new lines were not done with the skill that was apparent with the original. I was hoping that the North Shore would be a little better with some traffic, but even with gears the climbs are brutal, very nice area though and still well worth the effort. Hopefully Haliberton Forest will continue to develop relationships with high quality trail builders like Chico's crew.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    If the Resolutions thread can become "the Scotch thread", then I don't see why the SAD thread can't become the Good Friday Road Race thread.....

I will neither confirm nor deny any rumours right now but with luck, I should be at liberty to divulge a few more details in the next few days.
    You don't really need to confirm/deny. It's already on Facebook and Canadian Cyclist forums, no doubt two of the more trustworthy sources on the interweb.

PS. We live at the bottom of Sydenham and it is a doozy!
    So now we know where the feed zone will be.

http://ccforums.ipbhost.com/index.ph...pic=8989&st=15

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by XLNC
    No interest in racing, or upgrading stuff, or even the social aspect of it all, I just want to ride my bike, period!
    Wow no interest in the social side?

I find the social aspect is one of the best parts. Chatting on the climbs, hanging out post ride having a cold beer.

Solo miles can be good to clear your head, but the social is important to me.

Evil Jr.
    You don't really need to confirm/deny. It's already on Facebook and Canadian Cyclist forums, no doubt two of the more trustworthy sources on the interweb.
    The only reason I'm being so circumspect is that the route approval goes before the City today.

Suffice to say, if it goes through as planned, it will be the best course of the year, bar none. It will be mind-numbingly, hip-thrusting Storm Trooper awesome.

All my faucets is Moen.
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk
    I think they were referring to the social aspect of the race scene. But I agree, its the best part. I always thought racing the bike sucks. Its far to painful but hanging out before and after makes for good times.

If the Resolutions thread can become "the Scotch thread", then I don't see why the SAD thread can't become the Good Friday Road Race thread.....
    I think the GFRR deserves more.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Ah yeah "real" racing does suck, I don't even think the social side of it out weights the suck.

Faux racing events are fun and are mostly just an excuse for the social side.

mtbr member
    1. The first, wobbly ride in the ganny come spring.
    2. Riding with the new pup.
    3. Exploring new roads in my area and into Prince Edward County.
    4. Paul's Dirty Enduro.
    5. Getting another person hooked on mountain biking/cycling in general.

Phat Tyred, which trails are you talking about east of Peterborough? I'm always looking for more local stuff to ride.

rad to the power of sick
    Just landed myself a new job in Waterloo, which is a beautiful 40km commute from Guelph (home).

Ill be commuting on these beautiful roads along the Grand River twice a day.

Also the job pays plenty.. which means I NEED to get a new road bike.

mmm.. on second thought.. this makes the SAD far worse... when is spring coming???
    Some great sets for the trainer:
    https://www.mixcloud.com/djfeelgood/

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by superlightracer
    Just landed myself a new job in Waterloo, which is a beautiful 40km commute from Guelph (home).

Ill be commuting on these beautiful roads along the Grand River twice a day.

Also the job pays plenty.. which means I NEED to get a new road bike.

mmm.. on second thought.. this makes the SAD far worse... when is spring coming???

Did you get a Rimjob? haha! I rode out to Guelph once, 124 sucked ass... it seemed everybody going to Guelph had a trailer of death. That sawmill rd looks nice though... i like these new roads with the extra wide shoulders.

I dd what you see there.

I find the social aspect is one of the best parts. Chatting on the climbs, hanging out post ride having a cold beer.

Solo miles can be good to clear your head, but the social is important to me.
    And when I'm capable of keeping up with other cyclists, I'll get into THAT aspect of it! I'm barely even keeping up with pedestrians so far. So my "social network" of riders better be able to handle multiple post ride cold beers until I get there for mine.

rad to the power of sick
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik
    Did you get a Rimjob? .
    While there is no hard and fast way to answer that, I figured mentioning waterloo would give rise to that...

I work at Open Text doing Software Testing. First real job. No more raiding forums endlessly throughout the day. I actually have to think.

banned
    Feb 2005
    Akura this place is a really good ride.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=645962

mtbr member
    While there is no hard and fast way to answer that, I figured mentioning waterloo would give rise to that...

I work at Open Text doing Software Testing. First real job. No more raiding forums endlessly throughout the day. I actually have to think.
    hhehe that didn't last long for me.

Hey are you guys using MS Test Manager to record all the test scripts, results ..etc? How automated is your testing process?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The only reason I'm being so circumspect is that the route approval goes before the City today.

Suffice to say, if it goes through as planned, it will be the best course of the year...
    [/IMG]
    Any word yet?

Evil Jr.
    Any word yet?
    Not yet. Our City liaison is at work right now. I probably won't know for sure until next week (I rarely check e-mail on the weekend...). I'm 90% confident everything will be just fine but I've seen stranger things happen in Hamilton. (Ivor Wynne, after all that, srsly??!?)

Evil Jr.
    .. which means I NEED to get a new road bike.
    Got anything in mind? [sing-song voice] The Cronus has fender mounts... [/sing-song voice]

I Strava Hamburgers
    I've signed up for the Paris to Ancaster ride, I see lots of others have. I hear its a pretty good time

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by 14Stone
    I've signed up for the Paris to Ancaster ride, I see lots of others have. I hear its a pretty good time
    You're going to have an excellent time! If you believe in such things, your 12-week training window has just opened up.

Which reminds me, we actually plunked down cold, hard credit for both TransWales and SSWC (Ireland) yesterday. No turning back now.

gentle like
    You're going to have an excellent time! If you believe in such things, your 12-week training window has just opened up.

Which reminds me, we actually plunked down cold, hard credit for both TransWales and SSWC (Ireland) yesterday. No turning back now.
    Nice!

Methinks you will have a Mrs Kept for company - probably for both of those.

But the school year starts early over here, so I will be working ... except maybe for when I spend way too much cash to spend a weekend in Ireland around SSWC time.

I should make sure she gets signed up toot sweet; I know both fill up quick. She's been working on a study at the airport this week, and the 4am starts, 16 hour days, and 6 days weeks = one tired, passed out lady.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by kept man
    Nice!

Methinks you will have a Mrs Kept for company - probably for both of those.
    Sweet! It'll be just like old times!

gentle like
    Nice!
    Oh right! What am I looking forward to!

1) HalvVasan in Feb. My xc ski technique clinic starts Monday.

2) Backcountry freeride camp at Easter - a week with Canadian friends rocking some Swedish pow north of the arctic circle.

3) Trying to run the hill-licious Lidingö ultra two weekends after that.

4) ... Maybe being back in Ontario to spin a few laps at Solstice?

That's a good start on the first half of the year.

Evil Jr.
    4) ... Maybe being back in Ontario to spin a few laps at Solstice?
    Mrs. Monster is looking VERY closely at Lumberjack, which makes me not wanna Solo Solstice this year. Looking for a team-mate?

gentle like
    Sweet! It'll be just like old times!
    It would be cool to do the whole swing with you guys, but I appear to be in imminent danger of being promoted, which would make being a cut-and-ride slackarse slightly more unseemly.

Still, one day here or there won't be too bad ...

gentle like
    Mrs. Monster is looking VERY closely at Lumberjack, which makes me not wanna Solo Solstice this year. Looking for a team-mate?
    That would be great fun, but in terms of timing I am a few weeks (at the very least) from knowing what our visit timeline will be.

But I would enjoy that a bunch, and will definitely get on the planning front.

Was is das, Lumberjack you speak of?

Evil Jr.
    Detta är den Lumberjack 100.

gentle like
    Tack so mycket! Cool!

Evil Jr.
    아니에요!

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    That would be great fun, but in terms of timing I am a few weeks (at the very least) from knowing what our visit timeline will be.

But I would enjoy that a bunch, and will definitely get on the planning front.

Was is das, Lumberjack you speak of?
    Hmm. Perhaps you should do the Lumberjack with us too...! From the website:
    Get on it February 1st at 8 p.m. EST A sellout is predicted within 12 hours, you have been warned!
    It would totally rock to see Mrs. Kept in August. It would make up a leetle bit for her missing the women's weekend!

gentle like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl
    Hmm. Perhaps you should do the Lumberjack with us too...!
    The thought had crossed my mind, but I must confess, summer vacation still equals 'relax' a little bit for me. Plus I'm gonna be way more running trained at that point, to be perfectly honest.

We are entering into planning this aft for Trans, SSWC, etc.

rad to the power of sick
    Quote Originally Posted by macming
    hhehe that didn't last long for me.

Hey are you guys using MS Test Manager to record all the test scripts, results ..etc? How automated is your testing process?
    Still in the learning process.. but we use JIRA, HUNTAR and some in house programs. Im actuallly still getting used to being confined to a cubicle for 40hrs a week. Spinning wrenches and making dirty jokes as a bike shop mechanic is far easier.

Got anything in mind? [sing-song voice] The Cronus has fender mounts... [/sing-song voice]
    Hmmm havent decided whether i want to go the exotic route..(pinarello or something) or maybe pick up a Madone 5 series frame and an Athena Groupset. Regardless, I want Campy.

I would have snapped up last years cronus in a second, but this new subdued boring Fisher leaves something to be desired.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Other then Paul's no plans to be released yet. Until Joely confirms what the summer is... there is potential for 3 months out west. Dammit got to wai till March to confirm.

mtbr member
    I don't have SAD, I love winter and I ski every weekend. But even I will skip tomorrow since they are calling for -23C with -33C wind chill. I am crazy, but not that crazy!

As for things to look forward to: riding my bike outside.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Evil Jr.
    Any word yet?
    Just got word that we have a follow-up meeting with the City next Friday. Things are still looking good!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Just got word that we have a follow-up meeting with the City next Friday. Things are still looking good!
    Excellent news...I've never ridden there, but I just took a quick look at Google Earth and it looks like a very nice climb. I guess its also too early to divulge possible routes, lap distance, # of laps, etc.

Evil Jr.
    As soon as everything's a go, we're planning to post a course video. I'll probably do it as a night ride on my SS MTB in baggies just to annoy the uptight roadie crowd!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    As soon as everything's a go, we're planning to post a course video. I'll probably do it as a night ride on my SS MTB in baggies just to annoy the uptight roadie crowd!
    Great idea, and to torture them you can stop in at your house and grab whatever the appropriate beer or scotch is after one lap, while they have top do 6 (or 8, or 12...)

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Womens SS category

Hmm. Perhaps you should do the Lumberjack with us too...! From the website:

It would totally rock to see Mrs. Kept in August. It would make up a leetle bit for her missing the women's weekend!

Supposedly if 5 SS women enter the Lumberjack the promoter will give them their own category!!
    High on Life

namagomi

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5zey8567bcg" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Typical, a single speeding lumber jack in womens clothing hanging around in a bar.

That's not a W
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by racergurl
    Supposedly if 5 SS women enter the Lumberjack the promoter will give them their own category!!
    Are you doing this race racergurl?

And Nergirl & garagemonster, sounds like you are in? I'm looking for a 100 miler to try this year... can't do Dan's. The only problem is I have to decide in 3 days since registration is Feb 1st and apparently sells out. I would definitely do it singlespeed.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by VVagabond
    And Nergirl & garagemonster, sounds like you are in?
    Fingers are poised over left mouse buttons!

That's not a W
    Jul 2008
    Fingers are poised over left mouse buttons!

excellent, that leans me toward a yes.

Evil Jr.
    Tack so mycket! Cool!
    Swedish Night at Monster Mansion is all set for Saturday! We'll even start with breakfast at IKEA! Sadly, we were out of luck at the LCBO on genuine Swedish akvavit and will have to muddle through with a Danish one.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    excellent, that leans me toward a yes.
    Cool! I just have to figure out what I need to do to be fast enough NOT to get cut off (always my goal!).

That's not a W
    Jul 2008
    Cool! I just have to figure out what I need to do to be fast enough NOT to get cut off (always my goal!).
    You can do it!

Louda just said she's in too. Canadian invasion!!
    Come on racergurl!!

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    You can do it!

Come on racergurl!!
    Ooh! Will Louda do it SS too???

That's not a W
    Jul 2008
    Ooh! Will Louda do it SS too???
    Not sure but I mentioned it to plant the seed.

Evil Jr.
    Not sure but I mentioned it to plant the seed.
    This Summer's starting to look like it's gonna be the four of us poking around from race to race in some sort of whacky caravan.

snowbound
    Jan 2005
    I will be at my keyboard Tuesday night, ready to register - SS cat.

Evil Jr.
    I think that makes 6 GTAers! Nice!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Yeehaw!!

You can do it!

Come on racergurl!!
    Count me in! Just got the ok from the hubby.
    High on Life

That's not a W
    Jul 2008
    Count me in! Just got the ok from the hubby.
    Yay!!

Evil Jr.
    After an hour and a half of banging my head against my monitor, I'm pleased to announce that Team Monster is officially registered for the Five Boro Bike Tour in NYC. It's our first trip to New York.

Are there bed bugs in New Jersey or Connecticut?

PS, Remember kids, registration for Lumberjack opens at 8PM tonight. Hopefully, that'll go slightly less stupidly...
    Last edited by garage monster; 02-01-2011 at 09:58 AM.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    <iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cbv3N-qt2EI" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy
    I will be at my keyboard Tuesday night, ready to register - SS cat.
    Sounds like a fun one, but Dan's race in the Ganaraska is the same day.

Evil Jr.
    Assuming we get in, my date with Ganny will have to wait until Paul's (at which, I'll be a rookie!).

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Ya, but I kinda want to do a hundie (going with the "do something that scares you" theme), and there's no way I could finish Dan's before dark (12 hours is not enough time for me). Loved Dan's Ganny race, but I'll get to do Paul's this year, since Crank is off. Gotta plan things for maximum fun!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    아니에요!
    Well Mr. Monster, we need to chat more in Korean!

Looking forward to:

1. Building up my pimped out new Misfit
    2. Not racing/training for triathlons
    2. Cali riding trip
    3. First road race ever... Good Friday RR in support of GM and looking forward to beer aid stations on the Monsters' front lawn?
    4. NYC 5-Boroughs Ride www.bikenewyork.org. First time in NYC, best way to see the city!
    5. Tremblant with VVagabond and the Monsters!
    5. Lumberjack 100 miler with aboveaforementioned crew!

That's just to name a few... It's the year of the rabbit! Should be a good one!

snowbound
    Jan 2005
    edit - moved

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Ya, but I kinda want to do a hundie (going with the "do something that scares you" theme), and there's no way I could finish Dan's before dark (12 hours is not enough time for me). Loved Dan's Ganny race, but I'll get to do Paul's this year, since Crank is off. Gotta plan things for maximum fun!
    The Ganaraska race isn't the "hundie", that's Mansfield.

Lumberjack sounds good, but for me, with three kids, a race with more riding than driving is better.

Pauls' is going to be awesome this year, with all the Crank riders. Maybe I'll finally do Crank in 2012.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    The Ganaraska race isn't the "hundie", that's Mansfield.

Lumberjack sounds good, but for me, with three kids, a race with more riding than driving is better.

Pauls' is going to be awesome this year, with all the Crank riders. Maybe I'll finally do Crank in 2012.
    You misunderstand. I want to do ONE 100-miler. After Dan's (in Mansfield, I know), the Lumberjack is the closest one - and I've heard good things. So if I have to give up a marathon in the Ganny, I don't mind too much, since I'll be able to have an epic ride in there for Paul's anyway. Incidentally, Dan is now allowing 13.5 hours for his 100-miler, which is a lot more achievable. I hope.

The Lumberjack sold out in about 20 minutes. Crazy! Mr. Monster and I made it under the wire, as did Louda, and (I hear) the Vagabond. Anyone else?

snowbound
    Jan 2005
    I made it in, and a couple other guys from T.O. got in as well

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    You misunderstand. I want to do ONE 100-miler. After Dan's (in Mansfield, I know), the Lumberjack is the closest one - and I've heard good things. So if I have to give up a marathon in the Ganny, I don't mind too much, since I'll be able to have an epic ride in there for Paul's anyway. Incidentally, Dan is now allowing 13.5 hours for his 100-miler, which is a lot more achievable. I hope.

The Lumberjack sold out in about 20 minutes. Crazy! Mr. Monster and I made it under the wire, as did Louda, and (I hear) the Vagabond. Anyone else?
    I'm in too!! Finally some motivation to start training.
    High on Life

That's not a W
    Jul 2008
    The rumor is true, I'm in too! I interrupted my spin class to sign up on my phone. Good thing i didn't wait like I originally planned!! I had this strange hunch I should sign up right at 8...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    After an hour and a half of banging my head against my monitor, I'm pleased to announce that Team Monster is officially registered for the Five Boro Bike Tour in NYC. It's our first trip to New York.

Are there bed bugs in New Jersey or Connecticut?

PS, Remember kids, registration for Lumberjack opens at 8PM tonight. Hopefully, that'll go slightly less stupidly...

YAY!!! All set for NYC! First times as well so this will be a great way to see the city! Can't believe how fast Lumberjack sold out! Signed up as SS can always switch to open i'm sure.

Yay Racergurl!! Anyone look into accommodations yets?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Oh, I get it now.

I'm on the fence about the Mansfield 100 miler.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Oh, I get it now.

I'm on the fence about the Mansfield 100 miler.
    I know. It was convoluted. In my mind it made perfect sense.

At $90, the Mansfield Hundie is a great deal - the Lumberjack was US$140. I've ridden that far in Mansfield when Lifestyles was on that weekend and it does stay fun. But I need as much daylight and training time as possible! And I'm always keen to ride new locales.

Very excited that Ontario will be so well represented!!! Glad tommy and racergurl made it in too!

Good thing i didn't wait like I originally planned!
    I'm relieved you didn't take my advice and wait. Phew!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Louda
    Signed up as SS can always switch to open i'm sure.
    Pffft! You've joined the dark side now!!!

Evil Jr.
    And with all that, the "control points" of our Summer are all set. I can't believe you have to have your whole season planned and signed up for by February 1st! That's insane!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Can someone help me out. The Mansfield 100 miler is listed as 'Citizen'. Does this mean I have to be licensed to enter? I have never been licensed, I have only done the 'Mass' races. With no CTS this year, this race looks interesting.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by RiotMTB
    Can someone help me out. The Mansfield 100 miler is listed as 'Citizen'. Does this mean I have to be licensed to enter? I have never been licensed, I have only done the 'Mass' races. With no CTS this year, this race looks interesting.
    That probably means that you'll need a Citizen's permit to race. They're around $45 and they're good all year. Alternatively, you can get a one-day permit but you can only use three of those a year.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by RiotMTB
    It would need a Citizen permit, which last year was $45. You might be able to get away with a one-day permit ($10?), but you can only do that three times in a year. All of Dan's (excellent) events require Citizen permits.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    That probably means that you'll need a Citizen's permit to race. They're around $45 and they're good all year. Alternatively, you can get a one-day permit but you can only use three of those a year.
    *jinx*

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Excellent. Thank you!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Louda
    YAY!!! All set for NYC! First times as well so this will be a great way to see the city! Can't believe how fast Lumberjack sold out! Signed up as SS can always switch to open i'm sure.

Yay Racergurl!! Anyone look into accommodations yets?
    I can't believe all of us got in.
    Not sure about where the best place to spend the Friday night before the race would be. Website says there is no camping on site, which is too bad as I always find that a really fun time.
    High on Life

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Cure for SAD

Evil Jr.
    I can't believe all of us got in.
    According to Mrs. Monster, it sold out in 13 minutes. That must be some sort of new record!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I've never done a 100 miler on a MTB, closest I've come is a little over 130km in a solo 8...but I am thinking about the Victoria's 100, because, well, it's there.

I'm wondering about how long it'd take...
    I've ridden Mansfield many times, but only in 8 hours and OCUPS, so I'm not sure I've even been into Dufferin. My impression is that it's about the same difficulty as Ganaraska, where the 100km winners barely break 6 hours (10 hour pace). That makes Dan's website prediction of 7 hours for the first finisher seem pretty optimistic (over 22 km/h!)

I may just settle on the half-marathon distance which is still further than any one lap or point-to-point MTB race I've ever done!
    He does say only 1 km of gravel road, but he doesn't really quantify the amount of doubletrack.

All my faucets is Moen.
    I was thinking about time as well.

Its hard to compare but if he uses the same course as the Championship at Mansfield last year, that is 2-80km laps.
    It took me 5hrs for 80k and I was going at an easier pace just riding for “fun”. So I believe I could get it done in 10-11hrs. That is if my legs don’t fall off.
    The winner was 3.5, while racing so you’d have to assume 8hrs right?
    Of course I may be completely delusional with how much doubling the distance will change pace.

The course is fast and flowing with the exception of climbs at the start, end and one after each feed station. I believe the 80k Mansfield course is (mostly) easier then the 60k Paul’s course.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    I've never done a 100 miler on a MTB, closest I've come is a little over 130km in a solo 8...but I am thinking about the Victoria's 100, because, well, it's there.

I've ridden Mansfield many times, but only in 8 hours and OCUPS, so I'm not sure I've even been into Dufferin. My impression is that it's about the same difficulty as Ganaraska, where the 100km winners barely break 6 hours (10 hour pace). That makes Dan's website prediction of 7 hours for the first finisher seem pretty optimistic (over 22 km/h!)

I may just settle on the half-marathon distance which is still further than any one lap or point-to-point MTB race I've ever done!
    He does say only 1 km of gravel road, but he doesn't really quantify the amount of doubletrack.
    I think 7 hours is optimistic, but I suspect he's basing it on the top times for the Mansfield marathon (about 3.5 hours), since it was NEARLY 80 km. Dufferin forest is super-fun, with some lovely pump track areas and generally awesome trail.

If there's a more difficult option, I have a really hard time not picking it. I say go for it!

Evil Jr.
    Since I had a feeling that a 100 miler was in my plans for this year, I did last year's Fall 8 with an eye to my maximum sustainable pace. I figure I'm good for about 16km/h at that distance which puts me between 10 and 11 hours on the bike. Pretty reasonable, I think.

namagomi

My big issue is that double-track area is quite sandy... if it's dry the weeks leading up to the race... yikes.

banned
    Feb 2005

More Skin

Cure for SAD

Thanks for the pic shirk. Whistler area?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks for the pic shirk. Whistler area?
    Yes it's skinning out to Oboe just outside the boundary's of Whistler. A beautiful sunny day last Sunday.

Looking from Oboe across to the other side of the Spearhead range. Battery died so those are the only two shots I took that day.

banned
    Feb 2005
    Eldorado Basin on Sunday
    Spruce Lake Wilderness
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Phat Tyred; 02-04-2011 at 05:57 PM.

mtbr member
    I think the SAD is getting worse around here....

Every thread is turning into some strange argument and I just can't seem to follow what the hell's going on around here!

Please let there be an early spring...I think everyone needs a solid 5 hour ride on their favourite trail.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by akura
    I think the SAD is getting worse around here....

Every thread is turning into some strange argument and I just can't seem to follow what the hell's going on around here!

Please let there be an early spring...I think everyone needs a solid 5 hour ride on their favourite trail.
    On the positive side, at least BCD is still posting some nice fat biking pictures.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr Decade+
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    On the positive side, at least BCD is still posting some nice fat biking pictures.
    I second that. I even went with a risque avatar to try and minimize the fog of depression around this place.
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie
    I second that. I even went with a risque avatar to try and minimize the fog of depression around this place.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    That's true, BCD's pics are always good for a positive pump up and Biggie's avatar's not too shabby either.

Hey, on another positive note, I got out for for a ride with the new dog for the first time on Sunday. Just on the road but definitely still pretty cool.

Not sure how much I'll be getting him on the trails around here come spring though, his coat would be covered in poison ivy oil just waiting to transfer over to one of my highly allergic friends, and my car, and the carpet....Oh man, ivy between the toes, I've been there before.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    After extensive self testing the consensus is I do not have Sexual Arousal Disorder.

banned
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil
    After extensive self testing the consensus is I do not have Sexual Arousal Disorder.
    Must of been over to the monsters.

Steady Creepin'
    what an odd thing to say

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Oh..Goody... I have a male online EStalker.

No. Just No.
    The wife
    How well do you know your wife?

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip
    How well do you know your wife?
    According to prophecy .. no husband will ever fully know his wife.

banned
    Feb 2005

What ever,.

mtbr member
    Woah, that was quite the edit.

namagomi
    Not in the biblical sense i'd hope... !!

banned
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik
    Not in the biblical sense i'd hope... !!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYVzA...eature=related

Evil Jr.
    Hey Phat, got any interest in learning to embed YouTube videos?

It's really easy. Under the video window, you just click the little button that says "Embed". Copy the code that pops up and paste it right in your MTBR post. Viola, easy video access for all!

banned
    Feb 2005
    Hey Phat, got any interest in learning to embed YouTube videos?

It's really easy. Under the video window, you just click the little button that says "Embed". Copy the code that pops up and paste it right in your MTBR post. Viola, easy video access for all!
    I'm still getting the hang of this little blue reply button ... your "embed" sounds interesting ... one question ... Why?

Evil Jr.
    I'm still getting the hang of this little blue reply button ... your "embed" sounds interesting ... one question ... Why?
    I'm just speaking from personal experience but I'm more likely to watch a video if it's "embedded" directly into a post than if I have to open a new window to do it. With all these short attention spans nowadays, people are likely to just scroll right past a plain old hyperlink. Plus, if you're being clever with your video reference, you give people almost instant gratification.

Try it; you might like it!

banned
    Feb 2005
    I'm just speaking from personal experience but I'm more likely to watch a video if it's "embedded" directly into a post than if I have to open a new window to do it. With all these short attention spans nowadays, people are likely to just scroll right past a plain old hyperlink. Plus, if you're being clever with your video reference, you give people almost instant gratification.

Try it; you might like it!
    I'll bet the farm you have not missed one of my non embedded windows.

Evil Jr.
    As a dyed-in-the-wool AC/DC fan, I'll admit I've clicked on the majority of them. However, I'll also admit that I've skipped most of the ones in your Do You Deliver??? thread.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    You probably don't much care, but I've skipped pretty much every one of your non-embedded videos. After the first couple, I now just assume that they're a link to an ACDC video of questionable relevance and treat those posts as spam bumps. If you at least went to the effort to embed them, I wouldn't find it quite so irritating. Your other alternative is to do a proper link (that icon with the globe and the piece of chain) and put in the title of the video at least.

I appreciate, Phat, when you contribute to the conversation, even if it is sometimes in the form of in jokes with yourself. I do wish you'd be a bit more straightforward and constructive sometimes. I admit, I've been completely baffled by all your posts in the last week. I don't even know if I agree or disagree with you.

bi-winning
    You probably don't much care, but I've skipped pretty much every one of your non-embedded videos.
    +1&nbsp;
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Steady Creepin'
    Admittedly, I don't really get the youtube video reply culture in this forum. A lot of them go over my head, I'm assuming they're inside jokes or something.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by LuMach
    Admittedly, I don't really get the youtube video reply culture in this forum. A lot of them go over my head, I'm assuming they're inside jokes or something.
    I'm as guilty as anyone and sometimes something that seems obvious (and hilarious) to me even makes Mrs. Monster scratch her head. It's the internet - hit or miss at the best of times!

banned
    Feb 2005
    Does this http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=669586 go over your head LuMach?

If not, what other questions does it lead to?

If it all does go over your head ... happy racing.

Lemmy Rules!
    happy racing.

Who are you and what have you done with Phat?
    Strava made me do it....

banned
    Feb 2005

How are you doing LuMach ???
    Up to speed yet ???
    I got lots more

Members who have read this thread: 0