Do fuel prices affect your riding?- Mtbr.com
    Moderator Moderator

Do fuel prices affect your riding?

Just filled up my beater-mobile and found that fuel prices here have jumped to 134.5 overnight. So now my truck will cost over $110 to fill (which only gets used to haul around my bikes) and my work beater is well over $50. This sucks because an out of town bike trip for me, example - Hydrocut, will cost $50 in fuel. If prices stay this way I'll be riding more local trials and saving the out of town trips for special occasions.

Do the higher fuel prices affect anyone's riding? What do you do to keep things interesting if only riding the local stuff most of the time? I've got a trail network out my front door and 2 more areas within 10min drive but don't want to get tired of these places by summer and loose my passion.

GAME ON!
    ride what you can ride. it'll be as interesting as you make it. i always try to do something different on the local trails. hook up different lines, try different features, go faster, run more people over, etc.

mtbr member
    $70 to fill my forester now but I guess that's pretty average these days. I've got quite a lot of different trails within 50km of me plus a road bike so I doubt it'll change what I'm riding. There's always room for a few road trips in the summer though.

Have you considered selling the truck for something better on fuel or getting a roof rack for your other car?

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by akura
    Have you considered selling the truck for something better on fuel or getting a roof rack for your other car?
    I've thought about it but the truck does double duty for hauling my dirt bike around too. I suppose I could always buy a trailer to pull around behind a car though.....

Either way the amount of riding I do won't decrease, just the amount of road trips.

sock puppet

I switched to diesel engine

Same car - diesel engine - 30% more mileage compared to gasoline engine. Since I was putting in only premium gas in my gasoline car - I am saving another 10 cents per liter.

It is not affecting my riding at all. I only wish I had more time...

Quote Originally Posted by RatchAttack
    I've thought about it but the truck does double duty for hauling my dirt bike around too. I suppose I could always buy a trailer to pull around behind a car though.....

Either way the amount of riding I do won't decrease, just the amount of road trips.

humber river advocate
    fuel prices will do more then just affect your riding... the cost of pretty much everything will rise.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

Steady Creepin'
    Gas is not a big issue for me, have a Honda and a Subaru, both have excellent fuel economy, main reason why I chose them.. But, I just wish I had trails to ride out my front door, be glad you even have that option.. and yes, I too lose my passion well before mid-summer.

mtbr member
    If you limit yourself to just riding trails, then sure enough high gas prices will affect you because you gona have to drive all the time to get to trails. Why not just enjoy long distance road rides ?. No need to drive, just leave your home on a bike and go wherever you want.

Perpetual Hack
    Damn straight it will effect things.

One, I'm not working at the moment, and even with my 03 Civic SiR Hatch. With bike on top, fuel eco is cut by 30+ %.
    Being I live in Tillsonburg, any trail that I want to ride that is not ATV/Moto is at least an hour or better away.
    Hydro-Cut / Puslinch = an hour each way.
    Kelso = 1.5 hour each way.
    Blue = 3 hours each way, etc.

As well, any riding buddies are a minimum of 30 minutes away or more.

As for road riding. Been there, got tagged, and I'm still alive. That is it for me, my road riding is limited to getting to the ATV trail-head about 2km away. I would rather slog thru mud /walk and biatch about ATV's then spend time with playing ping-pong with the fanny-cagers. IMO of course, your mileage may vary.

I'm thinking with a little car-pooling, I may be able to swing a ride a week.
    Now that I put that down on paper I'm doomed....

michael

If anybody knows of anything a little more local - lemme know.
    ( Woodstock Pines does not count )

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Not really, for me it's more lack of time that keeps me from riding, I have so many more hobbies & interests these days which fill up my life whereas 10 years ago it was pretty much sleep, eat, bike year round rain or shine. Instead of driving out to rides every weekend I only do so once every month or two these days.

Quote Originally Posted by mykel
    One, I'm not working at the moment, and even with my 03 Civic SiR Hatch. With bike on top, fuel eco is cut by 30+ %.
    Pull the wheels off and stuff the bike in the back, mankind invented quick releases for a reason. Even through axles take only a few minutes to remove & install.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Just bought a new roof rack for the car yesterday. Truck will be staying in the driveway except for when we have to haul the dirt bikes around or go camping.
    High on Life

mtbr member
    Damn straight it will effect things.

30%?! Woah....with 2 bikes on top I get ~5-10% less economy and my rack system keeps both wheels on...

Perpetual Hack
    Quote Originally Posted by akura
    30%?! Woah....with 2 bikes on top I get ~5-10% less economy and my rack system keeps both wheels on...
    Scary no? I couldn't believe it until I did the math.

Bikes: 2010 Knolly Delirium - 36 lbs, 2006 RM Slayer - 34 lbs.
    Rack is Thule, bike carriers are two Thule Sidearm.

Last year I took a trip to Kelso, and then a trip to Blue. While the trip to Blue took more fuel, it was not a huge difference. So I did a little figurin' On the Kelso trip, the two bikes were on the top. To Blue, (Craigleith) no bikes in the air-stream, and no roof racks. (Family Camping trip - bikes on Wifes car ) Speed would be a slight difference, as the back-roads I was doing 95-100 and the 401 about 105. When I ran the numbers the difference was 28 and something %.

The only thing I don't remember or account for is wind. I know it would make a difference, but I'm not thinking the 15% or so differential....

thoughts?

michael

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The only thing I don't remember or account for is wind. I know it would make a difference, but I'm not thinking the 15% or so differential....

thoughts?

michael
    At highway speeds you're dealing with mostly air resistance as opposed to mechanical resistance when it comes to fuel economy. Air resistance increases with the square of the velocity so if you get a 15km/h headwind at highway speed it'll ding your fuel economy by around 30%. In practice it won't be quite that bad since we have to account for mechanical losses in the drivetrain, but as a ballpark figure 25% give or take 5% would be about right.

namagomi
    For me, no, I try to car-pool and that helps keep the costs down.

Yeah, by placing a rack on top you're increasing the frontal area of the car... it's important NOT to speed - the relationship between drag and airspeed involves the square of the velocity(so it's not a linear relationship between speed and cost a pump). I wouldn't be surprised at the figure of 30% for a small sedan since you are probably increasing the frontal area by that much, however for a large vehicle it's less noticeable because you've already got a large frontal area.

Placing a rack on the back is still going to slow you down, plus there is that whole ticket issue about obstructing the license plate and the dirt issue.

Best option, something like an a2 tdi with room to fit everything inside.

mtbr member
    More than enough road and off-road material within riding distance of my house to keep me entertained all summer.

Perhaps I am easily amused.

Plus I travel for work and occasionally throw the bike in the company van.

The only real riding-specific road trip is Blue, once a year for 3 days.

Otherwise riding to work controls gas costs, or so I tell myself.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

Evil Jr.
    Outside of racing, we only drive to ride about once a week anyhow so I don't think we'll be changing our habits too much. That being said, I'm up to my earlobes in trail work right now so I'm not seeing much actual riding (or racing) in my future this Summer!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik

Placing a rack on the back is still going to slow you down, plus there is that whole ticket issue about obstructing the license plate and the dirt issue.
    knock on wood, 4 years of hitch bike rack usage - no tickets...

Best option, something like an a2 tdi with room to fit everything inside.
    maintenance heavy, and i really dislike putting the muddy bike in the car... even rubber mats don't help much...

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    For years I drove around with bike (or two) in the back of a small hatchback, thought nothing of a 4 hour roundtrip for a days' ride. Just last fall for the first time I put two bikes up on the roof and was shocked at the consequences. I can't remember the exact numbers, but hearing 25-30% bandied about here means I'm not the only one. If I had known how bad it was going to be, I would have gotten a trailer hitch for my vehicle and set up a rear carrier.

Re diesel, I wanted to get myself one of those VW TDI units last fall but you have to order in advance and pay full MSRP. Ulutimately, the purchase cost premium was enough to run about 17 years of extra gas cost compared to a gasoline engine in a cheaper vehicle (in my modelling we don't actually hit peak oil for 17 more years! so get out there and ride!).

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfchild
    If you limit yourself to just riding trails, then sure enough high gas prices will affect you because you gona have to drive all the time to get to trails. Why not just enjoy long distance road rides ?. No need to drive, just leave your home on a bike and go wherever you want.
    I'm not a fan of road riding much, had too many close calls before. However, I did pick up an old touring bike this winter and have outfitted it for some multi-day rail trail and back-road touring trips. I'm hoping that this is enough to break up riding the same stuff all the time and keep the passion strong.
    I suppose the days of a bike trip every weekend are over.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    maintenance heavy, and i really dislike putting the muddy bike in the car... even rubber mats don't help much...
    Use a tarp to cover the entire area where you're putting the bike. Remove bike, remove tarp, shake it off, no dirt in the car.

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius
    Use a tarp to cover the entire area where you're putting the bike. Remove bike, remove tarp, shake it off, no dirt in the car.
    Yeah, the tarp is good, but ugly Osokolo is somewhat right, somehow grease will get somewhere and if you lease it can mean a big payment... Tarp is the best route though. Some rumours were put out by media today to expect $1.40per litre by Mansfield epic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik
    Some rumours were put out by media today to expect $1.40per litre by Mansfield epic.
    Premium is $1.50 here in Vancouver. Glad the girlfriend convinced me to get something economical on fuel.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Osokolo is somewhat right, somehow grease will get somewhere and if you lease it can mean a big payment...
    That's what Scotchgard is for. I use it on the carpet in front of the workroom door so that grease, dirt and oil can be scrubbed out without much effort.

mtbr member
    at the end of last summer I was forced to learn that the only real thing I needed a car for was to go mountain biking, and even at that only on days when I was racing or when time was limited.
    I am working on getting a truck for this summer (only because it is free, other then the saftey) witch will only get used to go biking. Everything else will be done by bike, Small trips to the grocery store a few times a week instead of one big one, ride to work and to meet up with people and then car pool with friends for just about everything else. Even a few weeks ago when I had a van to drive I spent most of the time using the bike to get to work.
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog

mtbr member
    Scary no? I couldn't believe it until I did the math.

Bikes: 2010 Knolly Delirium - 36 lbs, 2006 RM Slayer - 34 lbs.
    Rack is Thule, bike carriers are two Thule Sidearm.

thoughts?

michael
    Yes. You're driving to the trailhead with great enthusiasm and vigor. You don't realize you're accelerating harder and driving faster to spend more time on the preferred ride.

As for me - no, the price of gas has never bothered me much in any ways other than the greed it represents by the suppliers and the lack of organization by the end users to stop it. If I need to drive somewhere to ride I do so with zero thought about the price. Riding a bicycle is not a free activity under any (reasonable) circumstances.

I'm with osokolo - more time to ride would be nice. Better weather would certainly not hurt also. I should have stayed in Barbados!
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies. :D

bi-winning
    Rising gas prices have encouraged me to seek out carpool options when traveling to races.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius
    In the 6 years I've owned my Echo hatchback, the back seats have spent about 5 of them folded down with an old blanket on top. It's dirty back there, and I don't care

As far as fuel, it's about 5.5L/100km, so about $6.50/hour. Far less than my time is worth. I try to make the best of my riding time when I drive somewhere not because of the fuel cost, but because of the time spent driving there.

X-Ray Guy
    After a one year hiatus i did plan on doing alot of new trails that i never went to before but i think ill be trimming my list to more select few trails depending what happens with gas prices and how work goes. Also i think ill do more multi-task visits. Like ride hamilton trails and visit my parents or ride out in the Falls area while my GF shops around and such.

Just heard gas is predicted to get as high as 1.45-1.50/litre....im happy i dont have to commute these days.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jawz
    ,,,,ride out in the Falls area while my GF shops around and such.
    Well this doesn't sound like a money saving option at all!

I dd what you see there.
    I'm a wuss. So I'd have to say the weather affects my riding 10 times more than fuel prices.

However, I just bought an older Toyota Corolla at the beginning of March to combat the fuel prices and I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner. When I initially got my truck back in 2005, my Hemi was getting in the area of 10 MPG in the city ( it's curb weight in pretty close to 6000 pounds). I 'superchips'ed it soon after and that was a pretty good idea. After "tuning" I really couldn't complain about the mileage considering the weight and the fact I drove it with a heavy foot, mostly on the "performance 91" setting (it's quite awesome that a truck that heavy can accelerate that quickly). However, last year I would get a week's worth of driving (5 days to work and a trip to the trailer in Brantford on the weekends) for $50 going about 290 kilometers. However, I also bought a new trailer this spring, and when I picked it up last week I decided to "add some fuel" to my "just under half tank" to bring it home. Suffice to say 91 fuel was around $1.48 a liter and ultimately $60 bucks only moved the needle to just above 3/4 of a tank.

SOOOOOOOOOOOO glad I have the Corolla now. I've had it since the 6th of March and it's averaging a little better than $10 to 100 kms. However, I also need to knock on wood too because I bought the 'trunk rack' to transport the bike around and the plate is a little 'covered' with the bike mounted.

FeelIng Cranky!
    Fuel prices unfortunatly affect everything. I have ditched my cramavan and bought a Ford Fiesta. Now I have to get the hitchmounted bike rack. If I had the time, I'd be free to ride, wherever and whenever I choose!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Has there really been much of a problem with tickets due to racked bikes obscuring plates?

A few years ago I was driving a car without a front plate for a number of years and the only time a cop ever mentioned anything about it was when he stopped me because he thought I had a radar jammer because he couldn't get a lock on my car. Being that a bike on the back is a pretty temporary thing, I wouldn't expect them to make any mention of it.

Evil Jr.
    Somebody here actually did get ticketed last Summer (on the 407 I think). There was a whole big thread about it.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I can see that happening on the 407.

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by nickboers
    I can see that happening on the 407.
    Yeah, OPP are the corporate policemen for our Spanish overlords.

I only raised the issue because i know there is a chance somebody will write you a ticket... if the cop is trying to run your plates because you already did something silly it's going to annoy them and they'll probably write you up.

I dd what you see there.
    Quote Originally Posted by nickboers
    Has there really been much of a problem with tickets due to racked bikes obscuring plates?

A few years ago I was driving a car without a front plate for a number of years and the only time a cop ever mentioned anything about it was when he stopped me because he thought I had a radar jammer because he couldn't get a lock on my car. Being that a bike on the back is a pretty temporary thing, I wouldn't expect them to make any mention of it.
    Yeah, after the person posted on here about the ticket, I pulled out my Highway Traffic Act (I worked in the trucking industry for several years) and it does indeed clearly state under Section 13. (3), (3.0.1) and (3.1) 'The number plates shall not be obstructed by any device that prevents the entire number plates including the numbers from being accurately photographed using a (3) photo-radar system - (3.0.1) using a red light camera system - and (3.1) an electronic toll system.

Essentially, if your city has any of those three 'systems' the Police could ticket you.

Looking for Adventure
    Yes! Used to drive out twice a week. Now it will only be once a weekend. Etobicoke Creek now has some decent trails for a weekday local ride needing no car. In a twist of fate, my cyclocross bike has become my primary training bike, as I can do the roads, bike path, Centennial Hill Park, and creek trails all in one ride at a decent clip. It is my cheapest bike......go figure.

Glad I was never tempted to buy an SUV.
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I had big plans on doing more riding and at different places too but my truck is a gas pig so that has changed. Unfortunately can't really get anything else right now or afford a car payment so I will have to live with it. I have already decided to cut out a few races this yr because of the cost. Hopefully things will change but I can;t see that happening. Just have to ride boring Northumberland. Even the Ganny won't be cheap and that is the best place to ride that is about 40 km away.

Living Life Behind Bars..
    Should create a sticky or some sort of a car pool thread, I often end up driving to meet buddies at various locations in and around the GTA and
    inevitably there are always empty racks amoung our group. I for one hit Durham forest from Danforth & Coxwell 1 night per week and have space.

For me it wont be the gas prices that keep me local weeknights it's the traffic trying to get out of city is becoming insane. The reverse commute - work close, play far ....

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by XLNC
    Yeah, after the person posted on here about the ticket, I pulled out my Highway Traffic Act (I worked in the trucking industry for several years) and it does indeed clearly state under Section 13. (3), (3.0.1) and (3.1) 'The number plates shall not be obstructed by any device that prevents the entire number plates including the numbers from being accurately photographed using a (3) photo-radar system - (3.0.1) using a red light camera system - and (3.1) an electronic toll system.

Essentially, if your city has any of those three 'systems' the Police could ticket you.
    Yes, you can be ticketed for having an old yellowing plastic covering over the plate and the tinted ones are illegal.

Looking for Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by g-t-
    For me it wont be the gas prices that keep me local weeknights it's the traffic trying to get out of city is becoming insane. The reverse commute - work close, play far ....
    My problem too....big time. Getting up to Albion Hills from Etobicoke during the week is one nasty headache now. And they continue to build along, and off, Highway 50 all the way to Bolton as though folks will take transit in the near future. I don't see anyone building a rail line anywhere??

Too bad for you folks in Bolton that work in the GTA. Your life will get really nasty in about 2 years with no work up there and an insane commute to the south.
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

FeelIng Cranky!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricksom
    My problem too....big time. Getting up to Albion Hills from Etobicoke during the week is one nasty headache now. And they continue to build along, and off, Highway 50 all the way to Bolton as though folks will take transit in the near future. I don't see anyone building a rail line anywhere??

Too bad for you folks in Bolton that work in the GTA. Your life will get really nasty in about 2 years with no work up there and an insane commute to the south.

Take HWY 27 then cut across 9.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Speaking of public transit and mountain biking, one of the coolest rides I ever did was in Sydney Aus. Rented a bike in town for the week, and one weekend I took a train out to the blue mountains and rode there for the day. I know there have been one or several "bike train" experiments in Ontario recently, though can't remember the details.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    With higher fuel prices, I have to pan handle even more to have enough cash for gas to get to the trails. I have great luck at Yonge and King St with a sign saying "need cash for trail rides."

When that doesn't work I get pimped out to sexy rich women to listen to all their problems. They pay me to listen, the sex is free! I also get pimped out to ugly women, but sex is extra!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pucked up
    With higher fuel prices, I have to pan handle even more to have enough cash for gas to get to the trails. I have great luck at Yonge and King St with a sign saying "need cash for trail rides."

When that doesn't work I get pimped out to sexy rich women to listen to all their problems. They pay me to listen, the sex is free! I also get pimped out to ugly women, but sex is extra!
    Winning! MaSheen would be proud.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies. :D

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck50
    Take HWY 27 then cut across 9.
    yeah great idea, everyone take highway 27
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Only on long trips to Toronto.

Locally no. Always have put in more bike miles then I have on my car. Can deinitely say I rotate bike tires more then I do on the car.

humber river advocate
    kraft to raise prices (due to fuel cost etc)! oh no, the crap below will cost more...

A.1.
    Alpen Gold
    Breakstone’s
    Bubbaloo
    Cadbury Creme Egg
    Capri Sun
    Carte Noire
    Cheeze Whiz
    Chips Ahoy!
    Club Social
    Cool Whip
    Côte d’Or
    Cracker Barrel
    Crystal Light
    Cadbury Dairy Milk
    Deluxe
    Dentyne
    Flake
    General Foods International
    Gevalia
    Grand Mere
    Green & Blacks
    Handi-Snacks
    Halls
    Hollywood Gum
    Honey Maid
    Jacobs
    Jell-O
    Kenco
    Kool-Aid
    Kraft
    Lacta
    Lu
    Oscar Mayer Lunchables
    Marabou
    Maxwell House
    Milka
    Miracle Whip
    Nabisco
    Nabisco 100 Calorie Packs
    The Natural Confectionery Company
    Newtons
    Nilla
    Nutter Butter
    Onko
    Oreo
    Oscar Mayer
    Philadelphia
    Planters
    Polly-O
    Premium
    Prince
    Ritz
    Royal
    Simmenthal
    South Beach Living
    Stimorol
    Stove Top
    Tang
    Tassimo
    Toblerone
    Trakinas
    Trident
    Triscuit
    Velveeta
    Wheat Thins
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket
    kraft to raise prices (due to fuel cost etc)! oh no, the crap below will cost more...

A.1.
    Alpen Gold
    * snip list*
    Wheat Thins
    Uh what idiots buy that much processed foods? Healthier and less expensive to cook from scratch.

Glad to own an economical vehicle for out of town riding, and a huge network of trails to ride right from the house.

The rise in gas prices won't affect my riding habits. It could affect our ski habits if it keeps going up. The rising cost would tip the balance in favour of renting a place for the winter instead of driving up and down Saturdays and Sundays. The winter season we usually max our our $125 a month gas budget and in the summer we are usually under.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Wow. So many sub-brands, co-brands and niche-brands. One master brand to rule them all. I for one will be interested to see how the BRIC economies mature and if they develop this obsession with foodbranding that we seem to have.

Evil Jr.
    Speaking of groceries and gas, if the weather holds, tonight will be my first attempt at doing my weekly shopping trip by bike. I'm somewhat concerned about how well the 10kg bag of kitty litter will sit on the Ute's rack but it should be interesting!

Members who have read this thread: 0