September 30th, 2017, Ganaraska Forest

you can register now.
    BBB (big beautiful bike)

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Anyone else going? Really low participant this year

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I also noticed the seemingly low registration numbers. Too bad.

I'll be coming from Ottawa with two more riders. None of us have registered yet -- hopefully there are other last minute registrants.

trail gnome
    GF & I signed up for the 60k. Other friends from Ottawa going as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Buddy and I just registered for 100km. Looking forward to it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So what did everyone think? I did the 60km and forgot just how much climbing there is. Made for a long day on the bike but finished - Even after several phone calls from my son wondering where the heck I was and If I was still alive! Course markings need some improvement, particularly when there is a turn from double track to single track - either tape or more arrows. But I know this was the organizers first time doing this event, it was for charity, and really I think most were just out a great day of riding in perfect weather and trail conditions!

trail gnome
    Conditions were perfect. Sunny, cool & dry, and the heavy rain the day before packed down the sand and made it very ridable.

The course didn't seem to be marked as well as it had been in previous years, but I was there to enjoy the ride, not to race, so I didn't mind so much.

Participation appeared to be down from previous years. I hope it rebounds and I hope they continue to hold the event. It's a great venue and a good time for a good cause.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    The 60km loop was similar but not exactly the same as previous years when the event was held. Nonetheless, the climbs were as expected. The 100km route was different as the west loop is no longer part of the course. Trails condition were perfect with the rain just the day before the event and weather was awesome. However, the good news ends here.

With the changes made last year to a non-timed event, many riders were lost and marketing of the event being reborn just wasn’t done right. Number of riders dropped for 306 in year 2015 to 155 the year. This has probably made an effect to the amount of funding, sponsors, and volunteers.

However, this is no excuse for the horribly marked trails. Many of the turns & intersections either no signs or the signs were put up where you cannot see it until you have turned into the correct direction. The course marking was inconsistent. Sometimes it was ribbons, then small arrows, then big arrows, sometimes on the ground, sometimes 5ft up, sometimes 15ft up, a smudge orange spray paint, etc. Several rides got lost at some point during the ride. It was awful.

The loss of assistance from North Shore Amateur Radio Club also means the lack of communication. We all know how horrible mobile phone signals are in this forest and basic radios won’t work either. No tally was made to track down if a rider passed a feed zone or not. Even without radioing in the number like the way it was down for years back, noting plate numbers would have helped. And marshalls, what marshalls? All the marshall point I went by had a chair and maybe a lunch box on the ground, I didn’t see a signal person! Never did I have to make my own peanut butter sandwich in the middle of a ride! Used to be sandwich made and fruits ready at the stations. They had oranges…they expect you to peel an orange after you have ridden 40k (or more for 100k riders)? I can’t blame the volunteers because they didn’t even have a table! The lady had to lift the huge jug of water to fill bottles for every rider. I feel sorry for her.

With the lack of radios and noting down numbers, the last resource was the sweeper. There were some riders that took their time and the sweeper returned reporting the riders were seen riding up the hills. The sweeper left the riders on the course and decided to return to base. The duty of sweeping is to be at the back and make sure no one is left behind! This is pretty straight forward. In the end, one of those riders got lost and was shuttle back by ambulance. Another one nearly had hypothermia and was recuse back. The search and recuse side by side ATV also had no lights and no tools. So when they saw a fallen log and the sun was setting, they were forced to turn around.
    Last edited by alanchan; 10-02-2017 at 02:35 PM.