DH bike for ontario?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

DH bike for ontario?

Hey, Recently started thinking about getting a dh bike, now i pretty much will be riding in ontario only, maybe if im real lucky ill get to get out to quebec in a year or two....but mostly just for here..

with that in mind, how much bike does one really need for local stuff?

I have been looking at getting a used dh bike, cause i dont have the case for a new one, and have been looking at around 2008 kona stinkys, and same year giant glorys just as a start point. I know theres a large difference between the two types of bike, and that the stinky isnt necessarily a dh bike. but just curious to see what people think.

Thanks

Also, looking to keep my spending around 1500 thats why im looking at used bikes..
    2008 Kona Caldera

"Today I saw my own son use a bicycle as a weapon....
    I seriously thought he was going to rape me"

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'd suggest your money is better spent on a slack 6x6 bike rather than a full on DH bike.

Bikes like the Giant Reign X or SX Trail. A little more versatile than a full DH bike. The terrain is limited so no use getting a bike that is very limited in where it's usable.

GAME ON!
    based on what i've seen in pictures from dh races @ blue, the gamut runs from bottle rockets to 303s. if you were doing racing, i'd likely go with a glory or a demo 7 because you can turn those into solid fr bikes. however, with your budget, i think you'd be looking at older glorys or perhaps a devinci wilson or khs lucky7

mtbr member
    ya, i was looking at a more universal kind of bike, probably just a longer travel single crown.

What i was hoping to hear was that even the biggest downhills here can be handled with a 6x6, or even a 5x6.

I would probably end up riding it as an am bike as well, so im trying to keep that in mind..

Not gonna race it, dont have the time to commit, just want to have more options than i do with a hardtail

reign is nice looking, i was also lookin at older model coilair and coiler bikes.. they seem good for about anything
    2008 Kona Caldera

GAME ON!
    if you're not racing, i'd stick to 6x6 or even 7x7

if you could get this bike priced down to your range or maybe boost your range a bit, that would be killer
    http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/779354/

if you're going to be riding blue or kelso, you can use a hardtail. i have a buddy who rides kelso on a cannondale chase. if you want to ride bromont or mt. saint. anne, you can likely rent a bike for the one or two times you'll get there.

also, look for an older sx trail. you can pretty much do anything you want with that bike.
    Last edited by saturnine; 01-29-2011 at 11:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I found some new 2008, 2009 Jamis XAM or Parker bikes at great prices! Perfect for your needs. PM me if your int'd.
    Last edited by scarsellone; 01-29-2011 at 01:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Heh, thx for the pinkbike links, i was acctually looking at that slayer the other day...looks like a sweet bike
    2008 Kona Caldera

Slick Rick
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    if you're going to be riding blue or kelso, you can use a hardtail. i have a buddy who rides kelso on a cannondale chase. if you want to ride bromont or mt. saint. anne, you can likely rent a bike for the one or two times you'll get there.

also, look for an older sx trail. you can pretty much do anything you want with that bike.
    Blue, on a hard-tail especially the black diamond trails would be punishing. You can ride any kind of terrain with any kind of bike, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Sounds like he already has another bike and needs something beefier.

Seriously look at that KHS I posted.
    www.trailburn.ca
    2012 Norco Truax 2

mtbr member
    the only problem i would have with that specific khs is perhaps the size...i come in at barely 5'8" and i only weigh 130, with like a 29" inseam, so i was hoping to go with a small bike for as my caldera is a medium frame, and fits great for its purposes, but i wanted to have a little more control over this next bike...

The RM slayer small is beautiful, and i like the other small size bikes, 08 reign is a good looking one too...

is the slayer a true URT suspension, or is it just mimiced?
    2008 Kona Caldera

GAME ON!
    disregard the actual S,M,L sizes and find the geo numbers that work best for you. one company's S might be another's M and so on.

Slick Rick
    Quote Originally Posted by k1lluaA
    the only problem i would have with that specific khs is perhaps the size...i come in at barely 5'8" and i only weigh 130, with like a 29" inseam, so i was hoping to go with a small bike for as my caldera is a medium frame, and fits great for its purposes, but i wanted to have a little more control over this next bike...

The RM slayer small is beautiful, and i like the other small size bikes, 08 reign is a good looking one too...

is the slayer a true URT suspension, or is it just mimiced?
    Didn't realize you were so small. Honestly sell the Caldera and use the Reign X as you do everything bike if that's the case.

The Slayer could double as a do everything bike as well.
    www.trailburn.ca
    2012 Norco Truax 2

Members who have read this thread: 0