Dear Cycling Ontario- Mtbr.com
    Team NFI
    Mar 2007

Dear Cycling Ontario

Could you for one year not make it an exercise to find out the citizen membership fees? Or any other costs? One should not have to start emailing and such to find out what they need to pay for this year. Or is this a continuation of the 2010 policies to drive people off.

I find it funny how OAT- Tri Ontario with way more members and less staff can get all the fees up. Hmm.. maybe I should send my money their way this season.

And yes I hate bureaucratic bullshite doping.

mtbr member
    $45.

Already signed up and got my citizen permit number.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by nspace
    $45.

Already signed up and got my citizen permit number.
    Keener! I'm waiting for the bike show. It's usually $5 off there!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Can we buy our license online or do we need to print and mail the form in?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster
    Keener! I'm waiting for the bike show. It's usually $5 off there!
    True, but apparently not keen enough. I got J003. 2 people beat me. That said, I do have a reason: its required to ride at the Velodrome for rec sessions.

CaptSydor: No online registration as far as I know. I just filled mine out scanned and emailed it in. Chris @ OCA got back to me the next day with my info.

mtbr member
    True, but apparently not keen enough. I got J003. 2 people beat me. That said, I do have a reason: its required to ride at the Velodrome for rec sessions.

CaptSydor: No online registration as far as I know. I just filled mine out scanned and emailed it in. Chris @ OCA got back to me the next day with my info.
    Scanning and emailing is fine.

Heaven forbid I have to seek out a stamp.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor
    Did you know that regular stamps don't even have denominations on them anymore! Wow!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Misfit Psycles
    i'm going to get a citizen only because the license i really want isn't available in middle age white.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Sheesh I only made it 6 weeks into 2011 before I got agitated by a sport governing body.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor
    Scanning and emailing is fine.

I think a fax machine is worse though. I think every time I've sent a fax, I've walked away wondering if it actually went through. For whatever reason I don't get that feeling with email or post.

mtbr member
    Did you know that regular stamps don't even have denominations on them anymore! Wow!
    Actually yeah, I always have a pack sitting in my desk, because is so pesky to go find them all the time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil
    Sheesh I only made it 6 weeks into 2011 before I got agitated by a sport governing body.
    To your credit, I did not find it on the OCA website, I still don't think it's posted. A friend who was also in contact with OCA emailed it to me.

Also to your credit, the fact that its required to ride at the velodrome in 2011, and its 6 weeks into 2011 and the form isn't posted yet, and the only alternative (in order to ride) is to pay an additional $30 for other insurance through the FCV, I could understand it being a bit frustrating. Thankfully OCA was able to turn my application around quickly and said they would mail me my physical permit as soon as they received affiliation from my club.

Evil Jr.
    ...as soon as they received affiliation from my club.
    They just sent out the affiliation reminder so it shouldn't be long now.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

Wasn't that what they said last fall in regards to Cyclocross?

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    To your credit, I did not find it on the OCA website, I still don't think it's posted. A friend who was also in contact with OCA emailed it to me.

Also to your credit, the fact that its required to ride at the velodrome in 2011, and its 6 weeks into 2011 and the form isn't posted yet, and the only alternative (in order to ride) is to pay an additional $30 for other insurance through the FCV, I could understand it being a bit frustrating. Thankfully OCA was able to turn my application around quickly and said they would mail me my physical permit as soon as they received affiliation from my club.

So when are we starting the 2011 Commissaries Craig Fagan thread of love?

mtbr member
    Lets save that for the fall, no need to taint MTB season with thoughts of CF droning on and on in my head.

Evil Jr.
    Screw that. Never too soon to drag this one out!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Sr6PU3MrEZ4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Sr6PU3MrEZ4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Ah, some amusement before the gym.

Misfit Psycles
    So when are we starting the 2011 Commissaries Craig Fagan thread of love?
    Name:  pedocross.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  66.5 KB
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere
    Name:  pedocross.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  66.5 KB

I see your feeling Olympic today.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    It's kind of funny when I think about the following. But kind of sad as well.

I have raced Duathlon and such since 1987. Other then the arguments about drafting. There is no where near the level of anal retentivness about rules regarding tire size, sock colour, and so on. Though to give them credit the officials fully enforce the rules for the elites but are not ranting endlessly at events about this stuff to the non elites. Not counting drafting.

Bike racing is closer to a draconian state really. What's even funnier is how back in 2004 when I was dealing with Tri Ontario's office. I learned that they looked at OCA for example of things not to do.

Part of the reason I say this.. is because I have a coaching oppurtunity this summer for multisport. And it's very tempting to head in that direction.

All my faucets is Moen.
    I think a fax machine is worse though. I think every time I've sent a fax, I've walked away wondering if it actually went through. For whatever reason I don't get that feeling with email or post.
    That's weird, the fax is the only thing that tells you it actually went through.
    Stop hating on faxes.
    Woo-hoo! Fax. Number 1!

How ironic that this thread came up eh Monster Squad?

mtbr member
    Screw that. Never too soon to drag this one out!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Sr6PU3MrEZ4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Sr6PU3MrEZ4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Ahahaha! The first part sounds like me @ Centennial Cross. Brilliant.

mtbr member
    lulz! @ nogears

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Interesting.... the fee is now online. Yet no response from the email I sent asking what the fee was. I guess OCA really does not like responding to questions.

banned
    Feb 2005
    Interesting.... the fee is now online. Yet no response from the email I sent asking what the fee was. I guess OCA really does not like responding to questions.
    If YOUR name is on a membership ... they must.

dirt roadie
    What is the benefit of a citizen's permit over no license? One can still purchase three one-event permits, and race in citizen's events without a permit, correct?

Evil Jr.
    The benefit (other than getting the swanky OCA newsletter) is that you get to do an unlimited amount of races (as opposed to just three). And it only makes sense if you plan on racing in a category (like single-speed) that the UCI doesn't believe exists.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    The benefit (other than getting the swanky OCA newsletter) is that you get to do an unlimited amount of races (as opposed to just three). And it only makes sense if you plan on racing in a category (like single-speed) that the UCI doesn't believe exists.
    Well, it's also handy for such things as the Tuesday night race series, Substance Racing Marathons (and other events), Super-Ds and the like. If you're only doing OCups, then either race only three times or pony up for the full-on licence (unless you're a nefarious singlespeeder).

dirt roadie
    Thanks. Since I'm not single-speed I guess it makes more sense for me to spend $30 on one-event permits if I choose rather than $45 on a citizen's permit. I will be getting the UCI CX license when it becomes available though.

All my faucets is Moen.
    I would assume that since you are not actually doing any races you won't need a citizen permit.

The one day permit fee is included in the registration costs of major citizen events (lake2lake, Squeezer). Yes you can only do three events although I'm not sure that is actually tracked outside of OCups.

By the way, have you noticed that the one event permit fee is $8 at ToP, $12 for Bronte and over $13 for XC OCup?

dirt roadie
    13 bucks! Well, $39 is still less than $45. Although I have no plans to race O-Cups this year I still may choose to do one or two.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Well... after numerous meetings with the finance and the fun hog committee's. And the careful review of recent developments not related to bikes. And a extensive cost analysis.

A decision has been reached. Brockville about 45 minutes away has a race seen that is dirt cheap. Less stress then trying to get to other places. Even when one factors in gas cost still cheaper. Which leaves more money for BEER.

But the over riding issue was the need to get a coaches license. The choice was MTB at $80 or Tri at $50 . Since either will meet the requirement OAT wins for the simple factor of $30 left over for beer.

banned
    Feb 2005
    Well... after numerous meetings with the finance and the fun hog committee's. And the careful review of recent developments not related to bikes. And a extensive cost analysis.

A decision has been reached. Brockville about 45 minutes away has a race seen that is dirt cheap. Less stress then trying to get to other places. Even when one factors in gas cost still cheaper. Which leaves more money for BEER.

But the over riding issue was the need to get a coaches license. The choice was MTB at $80 or Tri at $50 . Since either will meet the requirement OAT wins for the simple factor of $30 left over for beer.
    Ya but how well do you know GM and Nerdgirl???

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phat Tyred
    Ya but how well do you know GM and Nerdgirl???
    Biblically, not at all but we have had him over for lunch. Lovely fellow, if a little bit into triathlons.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Biblically, not at all but we have had him over for lunch. Lovely fellow, if a little bit into triathlons.
    Well.. Melanie McQuaid is now a off road Tri Geek.

banned
    Feb 2005
    That is what I though you would say, if made to good luck with your all your friends intentions.

Members who have read this thread: 0