Dealings with "Rack Attack"?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Dealings with "Rack Attack"?

I'm getting into mountain biking this year (looking to hit trails 1-3 times a week, 1/2 drive to most places), and I've recently been using a trunk/bumper rack for my bike. Generally this scares me, as it doesn't look extremely secure (no piece of mind) and I've had to put some padding on my crank arm because it wants to scratch my bumper.

I was on the Rack Attack web site and have been trying to find out more about roof racks. I have a 2000 Mazda Protoge (4-door) which has no roof rack at all. I would like to get a roof rack, as well as the bike rack that attaches to it. I believe installing this is easy (?), but I'm still not sure about total price, how secure the bike will be, and how easy it is to mount the bike each time, etc....

So, I'd appreciate your thoughts about roof racks and bike racks, as well as any feedback on the company Rack Attack (located in Toronto & Mississauga).

Thanks.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=noonievut]

Hi Noonievut,

I use a trunk rack not sure what brand, I'll post tonight with the brand name. IMO I wouldnt suggest the roof rack Too much hassle of lifting up and down also some areas with low bridges(not too many these days, but still a few out there) Anyhow, my trunk rack is so secure the bike does not budge when hitting bumbs. A couple of added securities though...put an old sock over the pedals/and or crank arm to stop scratching.
    I also use three bungee cords, one for each wheel to stop from spinning and I attach one from the handle bars to the rack to stop any movement. Ive hit some nice potholes and the bike has not moved at all...

Cheers

mtbr member
    It comes down to preference really. I have a hatchback so a trunk mount wasn't an option as I would lose access to the hatch until the rack was taken off. I was going to try a hitch mount but didn't like the way it swayed from one side to the other around corners.

I own a Thule roof rack and love it, it's now over 10 years old and I've had no problems with it whatsoever. I bought it in Ottawa and assembled the whole thing myself from the kit. It was expensive at the time but I'm willing to pay for quality, that's why I ride a Turner

Is it a hassle putting the bike on the roof? ... I'll find out this season as my bike's weight has gone up significantly (from 34lbs to 37-8lbs) I haven't had any problems in the past although my 4'11" wife might have something to say here as I'm the one putting her bike up on the rack.

I'm not sure if you drive on the 407, but from what I've heard, you could get fined if your license plate is obstructed from the cameras due to the rack/bikes (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this.)

I've also ridden many times with friends who have trunk/hitch mounts and we've had no problems either so which ever way you go, just make sure it's a good quality product and can accomodate various frame types (if you plan on bringing friends along)

Clem

PS I usually take my roof rack off in the winter while I move to indoor training, it takes roughly 10 mins to install the rack in the Spring once the car is clean, then I lock it and forget about it until the Fall.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noonievut
    I'm getting into mountain biking this year (looking to hit trails 1-3 times a week, 1/2 drive to most places), and I've recently been using a trunk/bumper rack for my bike. Generally this scares me, as it doesn't look extremely secure (no piece of mind) and I've had to put some padding on my crank arm because it wants to scratch my bumper.

I was on the Rack Attack web site and have been trying to find out more about roof racks. I have a 2000 Mazda Protoge (4-door) which has no roof rack at all. I would like to get a roof rack, as well as the bike rack that attaches to it. I believe installing this is easy (?), but I'm still not sure about total price, how secure the bike will be, and how easy it is to mount the bike each time, etc....

So, I'd appreciate your thoughts about roof racks and bike racks, as well as any feedback on the company Rack Attack (located in Toronto & Mississauga).

Thanks.
    Hey, definitely get a roof rack. Do some searching on these boards, there have been plenty of similar posts with excellent feedback and all pros and cons of different rack systems, but all seem to point in one direction - roof mounted racks. Just a few quick points comparing roof racks to trunk mounted ones: if you get the upright carrier (no front wheel removal), it's waaay faster to mount the bike on the roof than on trunk mounted racks. It takes me below 1 minute to secure my bike on top - just put the clamp around the down tube (this is what holds your bike upright), and a strap over each wheel and you're done! It's simple, fast, and secure. No bouncing around, swaying, putting socks over cranks, extra bungy cords etc....... Also, if you're unlucky to be involved in a collision, there is a lesser chance that your bike will be damaged or even destroyed completely, unlike with trunk mounted racks. Also, despite what you may think, the roof rack does not necesarily mean bigger gas consumption increase than the trunk mounted one. It should be pretty much the same. In fact, at higher speed there will be more turbulence behind the car causing more drag than from roof mounted bikes. And, with trunk mounted rack, any mud, dirt and slush that your wheels pick up will land on your bike(s).
    Smiley, your argument against roof racks was that it's too much hassle to lift the bike up..... Is it that much of a hassle really??? Assuming that you're a fairly fit individual (you're a mountain biker after all!), I can't see how lifting your bike up for 5 seconds before you rest it in the carrier's track is such a major hassle. Unless we're talking about a 50+lbs DH monster and a higher vehicle of course, in which case the roof option may not be the best indeed... I think that fiddling with all the straps, bungy cords and making sure that nothing comes in contact with my vehicle would annoy me much more than the 1 minute I have to spend to attach my bike. And having access to the trunk to put all my stuff in before or after I load up my bike on the rack is good too . Heck, I'd even preffer my previous mode of transportation, which was to take off the front wheel and put thw bike in the trunk - just as fast, no additional expense, no influence on gas economy, definitely secure...
    As far as Noonievut's specific question about Rack Attack.... I had the "un"pleasure of dealing with them recently, when shopping for a roof rack. They gave me a quote during the Toronto bike show, and then when I emailed them about the purchase completely refused to honor it, saying that they did not have the details on my vehicle (untrue), and there's no way they could have quoted me such price.... When I emailed them back with details on who did I talk to, and the specifics we discussed, they didn't even respond... So I ended up getting my roof rack from a Cyclepath store where I buy my bike stuff anyway, and ended up with a great deal. Believe me, you'd be better off dealing with your LBS, most of them are Thule and Yakima dealers as well, and can actually give you a better deal than Rack Attack, which surprised me, considering that that's all they sell.

Arek

mtbr member

Im changing my mind....

[QUOTE=Arek]

Well never mind what I said about the trunk rack..... after reading arek's post Im going to get a roof rack...made some good points, socks and bungee cords no more...I really like the idea that in an accident the bike up top would be more safe...have you seen the way people (most) drive these days...reminds me of hikers lol

Thanks Arek

Hassle free bike transport from now on ......

Smiley

Bike Junkie

Racks

Rack Attack is a good place to go. They have a lot of options and can show you some stuff. Although I've heard people that have bad experiences with racks and they just rip into them. It really depends on your car.

I have a Honda Prelude and the roof rack was not a great idea for me because:
    1. I needed a roofline adapter since my roof is short
    2. Gutterless roof racks use the door frame to attach to, over time this can do damage to the seals around the door
    3. They can scratch up the roof (although any attachment does this)
    4. The cost of them is higher than trunk or hitch

only advice when going for a roof rack. Don't go cheap. The clamping mechnisms that they have these days are awesome, the Big Mouth from Thule and the crank arm clamp from yakima are top.

I have to admit that I opted for a cheaper solutions for 2 bikes. A trailer hitch and a Thule rack in the back. A little less lifting involved. Plus I can remove it pretty simply with a wrench. The roof rack on the other hand, you are supposed to remove it occassionally so that the seals don't get damaged; but they are not the quickest things to take off and install so I fully understand why most people will leave them on.

The Saris Bones rack is the only trunk rack that I've ever seen that works really well.
    See You On The Trails!

icy
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

rack attack

I recently purchased a strata lock and clamp on top tube at Rack Attack for my Yakima Hitch rack. When I arrived home and opened the box for my strata lock it was filled with business cards. I phoned and told them the story they appolagized and sent a lock which arrived the next day. I thought they had excellent amount of stock on hand so you can compare different brands, styles etc. I would deal there again.

Members who have read this thread: 0