Dagmar - is it possible?- Mtbr.com
    Kill your... television

Dagmar - is it possible?

I want to ride Dagmar. I loved that place and am totally bummed that there are no longer parking facilities. Anybody know where to park so that I can get in there?
    "Whereas Motoman's bike looks like an industrial, TinkerToy experiment gone horribly wrong." - Aquaholic

Ti
    Misfit

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motoman711
    I want to ride Dagmar. I loved that place and am totally bummed that there are no longer parking facilities. Anybody know where to park so that I can get in there?
    ..aaAAAHHMmm... In case you haven't heard (doesn't seem like it), it's not just the "parking facilities" that are gone. The people that operated them were the same people that were maintaining the trails. They closed down for good at the end of 2004 riding season. No more riding at Dagmar, at least legal, that is. You would be tresspassing. I'm not sure if they own or lease the land (remember reading somewhere about it), but in any case, yeah, I'm afraid the riding there is done... Which sucks, because I liked Dagmar a lot.

Arek

Kill your... television
    Quote Originally Posted by Arek
    ..aaAAAHHMmm... In case you haven't heard (doesn't seem like it), it's not just the "parking facilities" that are gone. The people that operated them were the same people that were maintaining the trails. They closed down for good at the end of 2004 riding season. No more riding at Dagmar, at least legal, that is. You would be tresspassing. I'm not sure if they own or lease the land (remember reading somewhere about it), but in any case, yeah, I'm afraid the riding there is done... Which sucks, because I liked Dagmar a lot.

Arek
    Odd, I was under the impression from several people that the trailsystem in Dagmar was public land. Only the parking lot and some of the trails closer to the house were owned by the guy who used to run it. I am pretty sure that Chico actually built the trails. I guess I can asking them tonight at the Tuesday night races.
    "Whereas Motoman's bike looks like an industrial, TinkerToy experiment gone horribly wrong." - Aquaholic

Ti
    Misfit

mtbr member

The Deal with Dagmar

The Dagmar lands are actually owned by the TRCA and on lease to Dagmar Ski Center. It used to be that they operated the trails all seasons. A couple of years ago they decided they didn't want the hassle/weren't making enough money on mountain biking so stopped operating it in the spring/summer//fall. Because the TRCA property is land locked the only way to access it is via the Dagmar parking lot (i.e. private property) the effect is that you can no longer get on the trails.

Recently (I won't go into the details here) Adam "Chico" Ruppel has put a proposal forward to the TRCA to get access to the lands via a parking lot off Lakeridge. The main goal of this is to keep the former Fred's Farm race series going. The DMBA (a new local club) will also be involved to provide ongoing trail maintenance. If you'd like more information about the club let me know.

The TRCA has also been attempting to get an easement on some land that would connect the townline road allowance to the Dagmar trails. That way you could park at 3 Rocks and ride in. This also allows the whole Dagmar/Glen Major/Walkers Woods/Durham Forest trail complex to be fully connected.

Please work with us to get access to these great trails. Plese don't circumvent the process. Riding on closed trails or crossing private property will only cause setbacks to our efforts to open trails legitimately.
    Jason Murray
    Rep for Ontario, IMBA Canada
    Visit the IMBA Canada site to keep current on all things IMBA in Canada.

Kill your... television
    Good news Jason. I actually talked to Sean (Chico) Ruppel about this at the Tuesday night race last night and it sounds very promising.

Ti
    Misfit

mtbr member

Promising but not easy

Quote Originally Posted by motoman711
    Good news Jason. I actually talked to Sean (Chico) Ruppel about this at the Tuesday night race last night and it sounds very promising.
    There are more than a few obstacles to overcome. I hope Adam can overcome them.
    Jason Murray
    Rep for Ontario, IMBA Canada
    Visit the IMBA Canada site to keep current on all things IMBA in Canada.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmurray
    The TRCA has also been attempting to get an easement on some land that would connect the townline road allowance to the Dagmar trails. That way you could park at 3 Rocks and ride in. This also allows the whole Dagmar/Glen Major/Walkers Woods/Durham Forest trail complex to be fully connected.
    Screw parking at Three Rocks, I'll park at the North Durham parking and ride the full loop. In my mind, this will be an amazing ride and one that I could easily do every weekend for a very long time.

I already rode that
    Screw parking at the North Durham parking lot Parking at my friends then riding them places is way better (damn typing at work with my psp sucks & takes forever!)
    Riding F/S since oct 94'

Members who have read this thread: 0