Dagmar O-cup, how'd you do?- Mtbr.com
    rad to the power of sick

Dagmar O-cup, how'd you do?

First of all, poor cond's on the high way made me roll in at 10:15, 15 mins before my start.
    registered and with 4 minutes left had to get my bike set up and warm up.

I missed my start by 20 seconds.. so i had to play catch up from the get go. Went out too hard and puked cause i did'nt warm up, then my front brake cable snapped. Came in at around 2 and a half hours.. didnt bother checking results. The race was brutal. I didnt get time to buy mud tires so i was forced to use half worn high rollers. Never felt so bad my entire life. Went into the washroom and being so pissed and frustrated ... just broke down.

Think im just going to sit down and watch the game....

Hope everyone else did better.
    Some great sets for the trainer:
    https://www.mixcloud.com/djfeelgood/

Jan 2004
    Ya , I agree with you in the fact that the conditions were brutal , i raced in juniour sport men and im glad they cut it down to 2 alps instead of 3 because my bike was so jammed up with mud it wouldnt move , all i can say is that course would have been sweet if it were dry , it would have been very fast and i hope that we do not get rain for Kelso

(aka SS_MB-7)
    I raced Master Expert 30-39 at 1pm and it was the muddiest race/ride I have ever done. I've raced Dagmar many times and it is typically a pretty fun course with some nice high speed sections, some technical sections, etc. But, the rain and mud completely changed everything. I didn't get a chance to pre-ride on Saturday and by the looks of the racers having finished the 10:30 start, I knew it was going to be nasty....and it was.

It had rained most the morning, but then let-up a little before our start. This made the mud super-sticky, thick and slick-as-snot. It would have been better if it had just continued raining because the mud would have been wetter and would have not stuck to every tube on your bike, tires, etc....but, it did. There was not a spec of clean bike or body after the race. Most sections were completely unrideable and, I estimate, we were forced to run ~40% of the course....even slight climbs became unrideable.

For me, the race was a hard training ride....and it was. It became a battle just to stay on the bike and I managed to ride pretty good technically.

In the end, I was happy to finish. DNF'ing was not an option. I have no idea how I finished and I really don't care....I was happy to finish. Mentally and physically, I was done! I didn't bother hosing off my bike or myself because I was starting to get the shivers...just threw the bikes on the roof and headed by to Ottawa and grabbed the best tasting PizzaPizza slices I've ever had....mmm. I had more than a few people pass me on the 401 with a look of disbelief as they looked up at our completely muddy bikes and my increasinly muddy car as mud shed from the bikes to my car's roof and rear window. At one point, I had to stop and squeegy my rear window because there was so much mud, I could barely see out.
    Last edited by 1speed_Mike; 05-03-2004 at 06:12 AM.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Rain and mud..

What a nice combo to race in, Paris to Ancaster was the same, couldn't tell what your bike was after the race, Didn't go to Dagmar when I'd seen the rain, maybe Kelso will be better? but that is no where near as fun as dagmar/skyloft/ or heights of horseshoe areas, raced paris/ancaster ss fixed which was perfect for the mud, no skipp or slip with my drivetrain. I'm sure the road race in london was a little slick in springbank park, some spills for sure.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Mudslide!!!!!

I was there and what a crazy race it was! I raced in my winter coat with my jersey underneath it because I was so cold. My race gloves got soaked and my fingers were frozen stiff halfway through the race. I think I ran/walked about 50 percent of the course and my poor knees are feeling the effects of that today. It would have been an incredible course had it been dry. I LOVE Dagmar!! So many people wiped out in front of me but for some reason I ride really good in the mud and really enjoyed whipping down those last final slippery hills. My results where messed up at the end because they didn't read my plate number right due to it being so muddy but they got it sorted out and I came in fourth. My goal was top five so I wasn't too disappointed with that.
    I am SO SICK of riding in the mud. I don't know if I can handle another mudfest. I haven't even begun to try to clean my biking shoes off yet. I feel like just buying a new pair instead. I wish!!!

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by racergurl
    I haven't even begun to try to clean my biking shoes off yet. I feel like just buying a new pair instead. I wish!!!
    When I got back home to Ottawa, even though it was pouring, I had to hose my bike off (still full of mud despite 130km/hr on the 401/416) and my car (which was really coated in mud). As for my shoes, I just threw them on the driveway and blasted them with the hose....they are surprisingly clean now. But, of the 4 Velcro straps on my Shimano 320s, none work anymore. I'm going to have to try and revive the Velcro. The upper ratchet straps didn't come loose, but were also very tough to get off after the race because the ratchet mechanism was packed with mud....really fun as your shivering, wet and cold and you can't get your shoes off. A buddy of mine with Sidis had similar issues, but actually had to take an Exacto knife to the ratchet straps to get his shoes off.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Here are some pics I snapped just as I was pulling-out of Dagmar

Most of the mud on the bikes ended-up on my roof, rear window and trunk...what a mess!
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!

A bit off topic, but maybe you'll forgive me.....

....for asking. (and keep in mind, I'm not criticizing anyone here)

A friend that I introduced to mountain biking last year has often asked me to go riding at times when I have judged the trails to be too wet to ride, and have told him that we should wait until the conditions improve, in the interest of trail preservation.

He has accepted the reasoning behind my decisions and is becoming more conscientious about trail issues in his own right.

However, he posed a question to me recently that, quite frankly, left me speechless. After reading the comments here about the Dagmar race, and of others early in the season, I am also left wondering.....

How is it that it's fine for possibly hundreds of riders to converge upon a site and trash a trail system in the name of sport, but it's a mortal sin for a couple of recreational riders to do so in identical conditions?

I'm just interested in your opinions, not looking to start something ugly here. Maybe there's something he and I haven't considered?

Thanks guys,
    Mike

rad to the power of sick
    Yea after seeing the trails afterwards, i was wondering the same thing.

I guess its because the race has so much money tied to it, it can't be re-scheduled. Also, im sure a good portion of the race fees go towards a trail maintenance association.

BTW- 1speed mike, the SS was probably the optimum machine for the cond's .. no gears, cables and deraillers to screw you over.

They say I have a problem
    Yup...

I've wondered the same thing...Last year I rode the Lake to Lake and we completely trashed a few sections of the Bruce Trail...I really wonder what that does to the image of mountain biking....I say screw it, if the conditions don't warrant running the race then cancel it or postpone...It's nuts what happens to the trails in the name of sport...

Personally that is part of the reason why I have sworn off racing for a the forseeable future...

Rich
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"

(aka SS_MB-7)
    I agree, it was not the smartest thing to do. There were many times when I was pushing my bike through 6" of muck that I wondered why Chico didn't cancel the race. But, I can only imagine the pressures that Chico goes through the morning of a race when the weather and course conditions are terrible.

I, for one, drove ~4 hrs from Ottawa the morning of the race, plus I pre-registered. So, I was already out $30 + $90 (gas, etc.) = $120. So, if I was to get to Dagmar to find the race cancelled, yes, I'd be pretty upset. But, at the same time, I'm a racer/rider that cares about keeping our trails open, without damage, and would have understood if Chico decided to cancel. I would have been disappointed, but I'd understand.

Curious though, I know Kelso is very sensitive about their trails. In ~2 weeks when the O-Cup #2 goes to Kelso and, under similar circumstances, would Kelso cancel the race?

I'm sure the Dagmar owners were cringing at the thought of what their trails were going through. But, I'm sure Chico will do whatever it takes to ensure that the trails are maintained.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)

rad to the power of sick
    Kelso is mre clay/rock based, it'll be harder to do as much damage as dagmar. But we'll have to see what happens.

almost there!

Bonking ... not feelin' well Same here...

That was the muddiest race I've done too, as well for some reason I felt sluggish that day and it wasn't because of the mud. Half way through the third lap the mud started to get really thick, I had about 10 pounds of it building up on my brakes. I really hope Kelso is nice and dry, this weather is really depressing. As well it took me about an hour to clean my bike and I need my local bike shop to open up the headset and hubs to get the mud out of there too.

Don't worry about the condition of the trail, the Chico brothers will cordon off those trails for a week or 2 and they will be back to normal. But I'm not supporting riding on wet muddy trails either, I personally don't NORMALLY do it because it's not good for the trail and it's not good for my bike either, and it's not really fun anyways.

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
    I absolutely agree and understand that the race organizers have a huge dilemma on their hands when the conditions turn to sh!t..... So much money and time from sponsors, participants, and others have already been invested by the time the event rolls around, it's pretty much too late to change venues or dates.

What can they do to minimize the impact?

Going to a motorcross style of race course on a purpose built track wouldn't have nearly the appeal to me if I was a racer, and surely not as a spectator, either. One can't deny the advantages of the moto course in it's ability to deflect the impact from environmentally sensitive areas, though.

Wish I had a solution.

Mike

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Would anyone care to comment ...

on the placement of a rather technical drop less than 1km into the race ? I thought it bizarre as it created a huge bottleneck of riders standing around waiting to be funneled into single file to run the thing. Personally, I was a little ticked as I felt I was out of the race at this point since the lead group was now long gone. Don't get me wrong - the drop was fun, but it should have been further down the course.

R
    "Atomic batteries to power. Turbines to speed."

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I raced the Senior Sport 19-29 class on my SS Explosif. Did fairly well considering the conditions. First race last year I finished 2nd last, this season finished 26th out of about 60+ riders. Most of the hills were not climbable but my setup was pretty light so jogging wasn't too bad. The downhills were much like what we raced in at the Blue Cup DH weekend last year, so I made it down most of the sections. Rigid fork was a workout on that rocky shute section. Hopefully Kelso will be a bit better. I'll have to see if I can afford to race both XC and DH that weekend.

Cheers to all who stuck it out

Simon