Dagmar North Project- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Dagmar North Project

Here is the official press release regarding the Dagmar North Project.

For Immediate Release (from the office of Erin O'Toole)
    March 5, 2015

DAGMAR NORTH TRAIL PROJECT SOON TO BE A REALITY
    FOR MOUNTAIN-BIKERS
    MP O’Toole Announces $20,000 federal funding from National Recreational Trails Program to the Durham Mountain Biking Association
    Uxbridge – Families, residents and visitors from the Durham mountain-biking community will soon benefit from the Dagmar North Trail Project thanks to federal investment in recreational trails from coast to coast.

Canada has a vast network of recreational trails, which allow Canadians to experience the outdoors and appreciate this country’s natural beauty. Thanks to a partnership between the Government of Canada and the National Trails Coalition, $10 million has been made available between 2014 and 2016 to help expand and improve snowmobile, all-terrain vehicle, off-road motorcycle and non-motorized recreational trails across Canada.

The Dagmar North Trail Project is the result of a successful partnership between the Toronto Region Conservation Authority (TRCA) and the Durham Mountain Biking Association (DMBA). The trails are being built on land owned by the TRCA, in Uxbridge just north of the Uxbridge/Pickering Town Line. The DMBA has matched the federal contribution of $20,000 and will also supply $30,000 of volunteer labour from their members.

Today’s announcement is just one of many examples of supported projects that will positively impact Canadian communities. Projects like the Dagmar North Trail will contribute to ensuring access to Canada’s unique scenery while generating economic growth and creating jobs.

Quotes
    “Investment into this particular project will not only provide Durham residents with more options to enjoy the great outdoors and the beautiful terrain that our region has to offer, but it will provide opportunity to host revenue generating events to allow the Dagmar North Trail to be self-sustainable. This new trail will help maintain our reputation as the Trail Capital of Canada.” – Hon. Erin O’Toole, Member of Parliament for Durham.

“This funding will allow for the construction of 8 kilometres of new trail for our community to enjoy. When the new network of single-track trails is complete, it will connect Durham Forest to the North and Glen Major Forest to the West. This is fantastic news for our 550 member organization that represents the local mountain biking community.” – John Fisher, Treasurer, Durham Mountain Biking Association

Associated Links
    To learn more about the National Recreational Trails Program, visit: Infrastructure Canada - National Recreational Trails Program
    - 30 -
    For More Information
    Office of Hon. Erin O’Toole
    Member of Parliament Durham
    905-697-1699 or 1-866-436-1141
    [email protected]

Dagmar North Project-photo-op.jpg

Bike Junkie
    Looking forward to it! Great news for all!
    See You On The Trails!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    awesome news!
    www.abikeslife.com ontario bike stuff!

WolfPak Racing! :thumbsup:
    https://www.facebook.com/wolfpakracingcanada

rad to the power of sick
    I have flashbacks of the OCup there in 2004. I still get night tremors.

but seriously.. This is awesome. I remember the trails being incredible there.
    Some great sets for the trainer:
    https://www.mixcloud.com/djfeelgood/

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The Dagmar North Trail Project is finally underway. After years of working behind the scenes to get mountain biking back into Dagmar, the DMBA is stoked to be officially starting to build trails this Saturday April 25. For all the exciting information about how you can participate click Dagmar Build | DMBA.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    We finished off the first section of single track on Sunday. Trail 11B was roughed in through the week and 30 volunteers put the finishing touches on what should be a fun section to ride. It has multiple switchbacks, rock drops and a rock garden. .5 km down, 11.5 km to go

Dagmar North Project-dntp-2.jpg Dagmar North Project-dntp-10.jpg
    Dagmar North Project-dntp.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I've been out 3 times so far on this build and gotta say some amazing trails being put in... I'd drive an hour to ride them easily, if not farther, super lucky it is only 20min away.

Anyone reading this and willing to lend a bit of sweat, muscle and a few laughs + learn what it takes to build a stellar trail should really try to get out one Sunday morning or Tuesday evening when the crew heads out.

Hell, bring your bike, throw some dirt around for a couple hours and then follow it with a ride and hit Hy-Hope Farms for a sausage and couple butter tarts and you day can't get any better!

Info can be found at Durhammountainbiking.ca

D
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Got to sweat a bit this morning on the build! beautiful morning for it, hard to say what would have been more enjoyable, to ride or to build! Finally got to meet Mikhs as well!

Took a crappy phone pic, but for those that have never been to a build before or that are paying to attention to this thread may find it interesting I should have taken an 'after' shot.

Dagmar North Project-img_1104-l.jpg

That is called a bench cut, a mini excavator went through last week cleared most of the dark soft soil (organic) and now we go through and finish it up which is still a lot of work, but not near the amount of we did it purely with hand tools from scratch as is the norm.

That vertical bench cut (on the left) to a 45deg angle for nice water drainage and then the tread of the trail gets sloped at a 5% grade again for drainage and ease of walking. All the debris on the downside of the trail also needs to be cleared away so what you are seeing here is going to be 20-30min of work for one person assuming no roots or rocks are in the way, it then gets smoothed as best as possible and tamped and as we don't have a tamper it is tamping it by hand with a McLeod.

Fun fun! but even more to ride it!!

D

9 lives
    Thanks for the updates Osteo!
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    May 2006

June 3 Update..........

The Dagmar North Trail Project has now passed the 25% completion mark. Thanks to countless volunteer hours and very co-operative weather we have been making steady progress. There are now more than 3 km of sweet single track created. There has been a massive amount of bench cutting, tons of stone work and some pretty impressive retaining walls built so far.

Dagmar North Project-trail-3b-3a-3.jpg

Dagmar North Project-trail-8b-2.jpg

Dagmar North Project-trail-8b-6.jpg

Stay tuned for more updates and if you are looking to join in on the fun go to https://www.facebook.com/durhammountainbiking or DMBA

Mike

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikhs View Post
    The Dagmar North Trail Project has now passed the 25% completion mark. Thanks to countless volunteer hours and very co-operative weather we have been making steady progress. There are now more than 3 km of sweet single track created. There has been a massive amount of bench cutting, tons of stone work and some pretty impressive retaining walls built so far.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trail 3b-3a-3.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	249.2 KB 
ID:	993287

Name:	Trail 8B-2.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	212.2 KB 
ID:	993289

Name:	Trail 8B-6.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	259.7 KB 
ID:	993290

Stay tuned for more updates and if you are looking to join in on the fun go to https://www.facebook.com/durhammountainbiking or DMBA

Mike
    Not looking like I will get out to build for another week but I know there will be more opportunity, gotta pick up my 3 build shirt and only need 2 more (I think) for the jersey!

That is some awesome work on that retaining wall though. I got to see part of it being built, can't wait to see the final product.
    D

mtbr member
    May 2006

June 26 Update........

We have passed the half way point. A little more than 6 km down, a little less than 6 km to go. It has been a busy two months creating some fun single track. A huge thanks to all the volunteers that have put in a lot of work to make this project happen.
    One perk for any volunteer that has put in 7 builds is this exclusive riding jersey

Dagmar North Project-dagmar-jersey.jpg

Dagmar North Project-dagmar-jersey-front.jpg

So far we have 28 volunteers that have been out to at least 7 builds.

There is still a lot of building to do so come on out and help out and score one of these awesome jerseys.

Mike

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikhs View Post
    We have passed the half way point. A little more than 6 km down, a little less than 6 km to go. It has been a busy two months creating some fun single track. A huge thanks to all the volunteers that have put in a lot of work to make this project happen.
    One perk for any volunteer that has put in 7 builds is this exclusive riding jersey

Name:	Dagmar Jersey.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	998243

Name:	Dagmar Jersey front.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	998244

So far we have 28 volunteers that have been out to at least 7 builds.

There is still a lot of building to do so come on out and help out and score one of these awesome jerseys.

Mike
    That jersey looks amazing!! That's awesome for Chico to sponsor the jerseys and t-shirts. Damn work on Tuesday's and commitments and races on Saturdays for the past few weeks keeping me away .

Pretty sure both Sat and Sunday of next week are free, looking forward to pulling a McLeod through the dirt!

D

mtbr member
    May 2006

Dagmar Infographic

Here is Dagmar by the numbers, so far.

Dagmar North Project-infographic-june-26.png

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Finally was able to get the alignment of the stars, moon and life to coincide to allow myself and the Wife to go help with the build today, and it was awesome! I think we near completed Trail #9. A quick before and after pic of one of the small sections I was working on.

Dagmar North Project-t1.jpg

Dagmar North Project-t2.jpg

I missed my workout this morning to go to the build but I think the 15 trips or so carrying 2 22L pails of dirt easily made up for it!

Last I think I read it is now up to just over 10k, almost done!

D
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dagmar North Project-t1.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2006

September 3 Update

The trails are done. We actually surpassed the 12k goal and ended up with 13.115k of single track. This weekend we will be putting the trail signs up and finishing the last two log features. Just in time for our grand opening on Sept 12. Below is the official invite from the DMBA.

Dagmar North Project-grand-opening.jpg

And here is the officail DMBA press release;

The DMBA has built thirteen kilometers of sweet new single track in Durham!

Uxbridge: September 1, 2015: The Durham Mountain Biking Association (DMBA) is pleased to announce the Grand Opening of the Dagmar North Trails on September 12, 2015. The new 13 km of trails in the Dagmar North Tract (DNT) are the culmination of eight years of planning and 5 months of building. The building was accomplished with over 200 volunteer builders investing over 5,000 hours of sweat equity in the project. This is one of the largest volunteer trail building projects in Canada. DMBA partnered with the Toronto Region Conservation Authority (TRCA) to realize the vision of a new network of multi-use, single track trails, purpose-built for mountain biking. Designed and built by mountain bikers for mountain bikers, this system of intermediate and advanced single track trails will provide an exciting expansion to the renowned riding and hiking experience in the rolling hills of the Oak Ridges Moraine in Durham Region’s Uxbridge Township.

These new trails in TRCA’s Dagmar Tract connect 40 km of trails in the Durham Regional Forest with 100 km of trails in TRCA’s East Duffins Headwaters area offering an expanse of interconnected hiking and mountain biking trails unparalleled anywhere else in Ontario. These new trails have been carefully designed by DMBA’s skilled and experienced Trails Team. The trails include specially built riding features for skills development and technical challenges to provide an exciting and challenging riding experience with safety designed in as well. They were built to International Mountain Biking Association’s (IMBA) sustainable trails standards so they will resist erosion, withstand wear & tear, require minimal ongoing maintenance and be environmentally friendly. Trail layout and design respects the TRCA’s environmental priorities for the area. DMBA used a hybrid building approach: employing two eminent Ontario trail builders, to rough-in the trails using specialized equipment; and a cadre of 200+ trained volunteers wielding special trail tools to hand-finish the trails to a sculpted and smooth riding surface. Building began April 15, 2015 and continued through the summer with 2 organized volunteer work days per week.

This project was funded by: a $20,000 grant from the Government of Canada administered through the National Trails Coalition; $21,000 from the DMBA; 5,000 hours or $75,000 worth of volunteer labour by DMBA members; and the generous working partnership of the TRCA and our corporate sponsors.

Come and join us at Dagmar Ski Resort, 1220 Lake Ridge Rd. for our Grand Opening on Saturday Sept. 12, 9:30am-2:30pm. Join us for a ride, BBQ lunch, live music, recognition and prizes - and help us celebrate the opening of Ontario’s newest network of mountain bike trails. Watch DMBA for more details and the schedule of the day’s activities.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Congratulations!!!
    Incredible work.

9 lives
    We definitely would love to check out and ride the Dagmar trails in the very near future!

Great work
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Awesome congrats to everyone! A job well done!!!
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I had the great opportunity to go to the Grand Opening of the new trails on Saturday, a couple hundred people braved what looked to be a miserable day, but turned out to be pretty fantastic. For those of you that did manage to go I was the one doing the parking with my wife and then once all the riding got started was in the woods by the 'meeting place' (kiosk) giving directions.

It was pretty amazing to see and even better to hear the hoots and hollers of people coming down Zip Line (Trail #8) and some of the others. Even better was to see the same people within 10-15min repeatedly as they went back and switched to a different demo bike. I saw one guy easily 4-5 times each on a different bike and then the last time was on his own. I don't think a demo day is any better than that.

Lots of people were named during the ceremonies and I'll take this moment to say the Fishers deserved every round of applause that they received and even more. A fantastic day and in some ways a bittersweet day as well as one of the Executive members wrote a poem that I know squeezed out a tear from more than one person that described the creation, hard work dedication, determination and in some cases the sacrifices that went into the trail build, moving to say the least.

I've been on them a bunch now and they are breaking in nicely, I know with the high traffic so far there have already been a few repairs but they seem to be holding up well.

If you are reading this and do plan on heading out to give them a ride note the difficulty markers, and if you are on a trail that is above your comfort level please take your time and safely walk the line/obstacle, try not to go around them. The trails were built in a fairly strict corridor widening the trail beyond what is there is frowned upon by the land owners (remember these are intermediate/advanced trails to the area).

Two things that were mentioned at the Opening that should also be noted was that the trails are not to be used with lights (night). Both entrances to the trail go along private property with homes and cattle near by, with specific permission given by those homes to use the corridors. Having lights rolling by when they may be trying to enjoy their back yard is not very neighbourly considering the permission they gave, in short no nighttime use. The other thing is parking. The closest parking lots are at 3 Rock and the Bell Tower parking lots, parking on Chalk Lk Rd and Concession 7 is not permitted, both for safety reasons and again being good neighbours to those private landowners. It is my understanding that No Parking Signs may be posted in the near future by the township.

I'm cutting and pasting the latest News Item from the DMBA with regards to the Grand Opening and Trails from this morning:

Title: Dagmar Grand Opening & Parking
    Author: (UserID: Tom.Hawks)
    Categories: Trail Building & Maintenance, Events & Rides

The Dagmar Trails Grand Opening was a huge success on Saturday! 200+ people
    enjoyed: 13km of sweat new single track; a five course meal; live music; and
    demo bikes courtesy of 6 of our Corp. Partners. We honoured all our trail
    builders, $$ donors, sponsors, and especially our 67 BIG Builders with a
    special limited edition Dagmar Trail Founders jersey each for their
    extraordinary efforts.

Saturday marked the culmination of a Herculean effort of trail building this
    year by our club: 54 trail building events; 205 volunteer builders; 5,558
    hours in total = $83,000 in volunteer value; $13+K in $$ donations, a $20K
    grant and $21K in club funds = equals 13km of signed, safe, terrific, new
    trails to ride with some fun, challenging features to keep you on your toes.
    We hope you all enjoy the ride!

PARKING: Parking is not perfect yet - we're working on it. In the mean time,
    please park only in public parking lots or safe, legal locations. The
    official parking for Dagmar trails are TRCA lots at Glen Major (3 Rocks) &
    Walker Woods (The Towers) or LSRCA's Durham Forest. These lots are all just a
    short warm-up ride to the trails. DO NOT PARK at Dagmar Ski Resort (private
    property) or on Chalk Lake Rd., 7th Concession or Lake Ridge Rd. for safety
    and neighborly considerations. Thanks for your cooperation.

To read the complete News Item or to comment on the News Item please follow
    this link:
    Dagmar Grand Opening & Parking | DMBA

I hope to see you out there!

D

I wonder why?
    Anyone know if you can park in the Spring parking lot (at the corner of Chalk Lake and Lake Ridge Roads?? There's lots of parking available there and it's public I believe.

Thanks.

i1dry?
    ...some drink from the fountain of knowledge..some only gargle...!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by i1dry View Post
    Anyone know if you can park in the Spring parking lot (at the corner of Chalk Lake and Lake Ridge Roads?? There's lots of parking available there and it's public I believe.

Thanks.

i1dry?
    Absolutely, as you said tons of parking, fill up your water and you're good to go!
    Didn't even think about parking there, the climb up that hill will give you a nice warm up!

D

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hi

Can someone explain where I can enter the trail from? Its not through Dagmar is it? Their gates are usually closed.

Thanks
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pucked up View Post
    Hi

Can someone explain where I can enter the trail from? Its not through Dagmar is it? Their gates are usually closed.

Thanks
    No, you cannot access them through Dagmar. There are only 2 entrances one is on Chalk Lk Rd the other is on Concession 7.

Assuming on was to park at the water stream on Chalk Lk and Lakeridge you will ride up the hill and the road will change to gravel. You will pass Buzak Lane on your right and then climb the hill with the crazy curves. As you near the crest of the hill on your Left (south side) you will see a large Cow Gate and the sign for the entrance to the trails. This is the corridor that goes along the tree line with the farmers field (cows) on your right. DO NOT TOUCH the wire along the field it is live!

Concession 7 - if you park at 3Rock and hop on your bike and ride north it is 800m, you will pass the pond on your Right and then the small white church on your left, as you start to climb the hill as it curves you will see on your right the tire tracks in the embankment that lead to the trail entrance. There is a kyosk that you can see from the road.

Hope that helps.
    Dennis

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Hey Guys and Girls - I don't meant to be filling this thread but I need to make this correction with regards to the parking. Above I said that parking at the Stream/Water on Chalk Lk and Lakeridge Rd would be a good place to park, after a conversation I had earlier today I am retracting that statement. I am not on the Executive for the DMBA but as I have been posting suggestions I had better be clear and correct.

So, officially as per the DMBA (and myself) the closest parking areas that have access to the new Dagmar Trails are the 3 Rock Parking Lot, the Bell (microwave) Tower Lot and the Main Parking Lot of Durham Forest - all 3 lots are on Concession 7.

Pasting this from my Post #20 above:

PARKING: Parking is not perfect yet - we're working on it. In the mean time,
    please park only in public parking lots or safe, legal locations. The
    official parking for Dagmar trails are TRCA lots at Glen Major (3 Rocks) &
    Walker Woods (The Towers) or LSRCA's Durham Forest. These lots are all just a
    short warm-up ride to the trails. DO NOT PARK at Dagmar Ski Resort (private
    property) or on Chalk Lake Rd., 7th Concession or Lake Ridge Rd. for safety
    and neighborly considerations. Thanks for your cooperation.

Sorry for any confusion or misleading I may have caused.
    Ride safe,
    Dennis

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks for the info osteo. I'll access it from 3 rocks where I'll park or just ride there from home.

One other thing, is this trail one direction only like Dagmar of the past? I don't want to be riding the wrong way if it is.
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pucked up View Post
    Thanks for the info osteo. I'll access it from 3 rocks where I'll park or just ride there from home.

One other thing, is this trail one direction only like Dagmar of the past? I don't want to be riding the wrong way if it is.

They were one direction for this first week and then they would become bi-directional but I have not been in today to see if the arrows and Do Not Enter signs have been removed. If you go in tomorrow it will be pretty apparent as the signs were at the entrance to all trails.

D

mtbr member
    Ah, that's great news about the directional markers being removed. Was there yesterday and they made it difficult to get around.
    GTA
    Ontario

mtbr member
    Friendly reminder: Night riding is not permitted in Dagmar.

I've noticed that there is considerable use of the trails going on after dark, despite the clear signage forbidding night riding. Please respect this, as there are a couple of residences adjacent to the access trails that will notice night riding, and this could eventually jeopardize access to Dagmar. If you want to night ride, just head up the road to Durham Forest and get your fix there.

mtbr member
    Finally made it out to Dagmar North - great trails, all are signed, with maps at many key junctions which I love to see. Will be back for sure.

Thanks to all the volunteers workers land owners etc who made this possible.
    ..now just tinker with our bikes and feed the cats. - oldbear52

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Hopefully everyone was able to get out to Dagmar since the trails opened and enjoyed the new trails. I know everyone that I met in there while riding loved the trails.

As of Monday the 30th of November the trails will be closed for the winter season. At that time Dagmar Ski Resort has exclusive use of the property for the winter months. As many of you know Dagmar Ski Resort uses the double track for cross country skiing.

The TRCA will be erecting fences across both trail entrances as well as signage to indicate that the trails are closed.

Please respect that the trails are closed and pass the word on to any of your mountain biking buddies and head up the road to Durham Forest where the trails are open year round and is fat bike friendly in the winter.