Cyclocross Events- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Cyclocross Events

New to the world of cyclocross and looking to do couple of races this fall. Looking for races for a beginner. New to cyclocross racing but have mtb raced a lot. Thinking of Guelph cross Sept 25, Durham Cross Oct 9 or Toronto Cross Oct 15. I am at centurion the weekend of Firemans/more cowbell.Those races sound like fun. Also what category would I entered. age 36. Master 3 mens or is there a beginner cat at these races?
    thanks
    Eric

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Those all sound like good choices. Hillbilly Hustle is always a good time too.
    Master 3 is definitely the right category for you. Even though there's a category called "Beginner", it actually means under 30 and not elite. Those guys can still be stinkin' fast.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Same kinda question. I'm 45 with a tiny bit of roadrace expierience and no MTB race expierience. The race I'm looking at has 35+45+and single speed in one race and in another Cat 4. Which is more beginner? Thanks.

Josh

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by xxxxx View Post
    Same kinda question. I'm 45 with a tiny bit of roadrace expierience and no MTB race expierience. The race I'm looking at has 35+45+and single speed in one race and in another Cat 4. Which is more beginner? Thanks.

Josh
    Probably Cat 4, but Canada has a totally different system, so you'd be best asking this question in the new Cyclocross forum.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Will do. This thread came up in the search and mtbr must have searched outside the forum I was in at the time. Thanks for the response.

veldrijder
    Quote Originally Posted by xxxxx View Post

Josh
    You'll be well suited to start out in Master 3. The only reason to race the "Beginner Men" category (which is more explicitly labelled Senior 3/4) is if you are under 35, or over 35 but have aspirations of racing Senior Elite as you improve, rather than moving up through the Masters ranks (Master 3 --> Master 2 --> Master 1). Even if the latter is in your mind, if you very quickly progress to Master 1 and still want that bit of extra competition, moving from Master 1 --> Senior 1/2 is only a phone call to the OCA away, though I think you have to pick one for the season.

veldrijder
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post
    Probably Cat 4, but Canada has a totally different system, so you'd be best asking this question in the new Cyclocross forum.
    The category system varies so much from region to region that here in the EC forum is probably a good place to ask. Elsewhere he might get 5 answers that only confuse the matter (unfortunately).

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by neuf View Post
    New to the world of cyclocross and looking to do couple of races this fall. Looking for races for a beginner. New to cyclocross racing but have mtb raced a lot. Thinking of Guelph cross Sept 25, Durham Cross Oct 9 or Toronto Cross Oct 15. I am at centurion the weekend of Firemans/more cowbell.Those races sound like fun. Also what category would I entered. age 36. Master 3 mens or is there a beginner cat at these races?
    thanks
    Eric
    All those races are a lot of fun and the only thing that separates them is the size of the fields. The closer the races are to downtown Toronto, the bigger the field gets. So, if you're looking to start off with a small event, pick one out of town. Toronto Cross can get quite large but even then the starts there are only about as big as a typical MTB O-Cup.

Welcome to 'cross!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Okay, I'll ask here before going to the OCA.

I'm in that magical and confusing age of 30-35.

I am formally a master on my UCI license and when provincials and nationals roll around, if I were to participate, I would race Master A.

However in non championship events, I'm assuming that CX is just like Road and I would race S4? Or in this case beginner. I don't start in M3 right?

I almost would prefer to start in M3, it seems like a better progression through the ranks and better competition. It seems like there are going to be a couple ridiculously fast people racing beginner, looking to move up. If eventually I end up moving up, wham, Elite-1,2,3 and likely thrown in with people that are competing for national titles.

All my faucets is Moen.
    EDIT: I'm an idiot.

veldrijder
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    Okay, I'll ask here before going to the OCA.

I am formally a master on my UCI license and when provincials and nationals roll around, if I were to participate, I would race Master A.

However in non championship events, I'm assuming that CX is just like Road and I would race S4? Or in this case beginner. I don't start in M3 right?

I almost would prefer to start in M3, it seems like a better progression through the ranks and better competition. It seems like there are going to be a couple ridiculously fast people racing beginner, looking to move up. If eventually I end up moving up, wham, Elite-1,2,3 and likely thrown in with people that are competing for national titles.
    Hey Jeff, you are correct that you're too young for M3. You'll race Master A for Provincials and Nationals, but locally you are a Senior rider so you do "Beginner Men" (aka Senior 3/4).

I agree that M2 is a much better progression from the entry level. The jump from winning Beginner Men by a healthy margin to off the back of Senior 1/2/3 is a tough one. It took me a season after making the switch to not get lapped, and another to get up to mid-pack Elite.

Since you don't have a choice, start with Beginner Men and see how it goes. If you're winning early and often, you'll have to deal with that issue unfortunately (and not unlikely). If not, maybe you'll be old enough for M2 by the time it's a problem.

Evil Jr.
    Since this year I'm feeling both slow and cheap, I'm going to drop down to M3, which I can do with my Citizen's Permit.

It may interest readers to know that the application for the CX-only UCI license is up now at the OCA site. You'll need one of those to race Nationals (not likely for me with the baby due any day now).
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoote View Post
    Hey Jeff, you are correct that you're too young for M3. You'll race Master A for Provincials and Nationals, but locally you are a Senior rider so you do "Beginner Men" (aka Senior 3/4).

I agree that M2 is a much better progression from the entry level. The jump from winning Beginner Men by a healthy margin to off the back of Senior 1/2/3 is a tough one. It took me a season after making the switch to not get lapped, and another to get up to mid-pack Elite.

Since you don't have a choice, start with Beginner Men and see how it goes. If you're winning early and often, you'll have to deal with that issue unfortunately (and not unlikely). If not, maybe you'll be old enough for M2 by the time it's a problem.
    Thanks Jeff for confirming. I was half asking, half ranting a little.

I'm signed up for my first CX race. Kinda excited.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks for responses guys. Is there no Kelso cross this year? I saw old youtube video on it. Looked good. Also for the categories it lists mininium time of 40 minutes. Do they just estimate how laps can be done in that time and tell you at the start or does number of laps change as race goes on. Looking forward to testing out newly built bike.
    Eric

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by neuf View Post
    Thanks for responses guys. Is there no Kelso cross this year? I saw old youtube video on it. Looked good. Also for the categories it lists mininium time of 40 minutes. Do they just estimate how laps can be done in that time and tell you at the start or does number of laps change as race goes on. Looking forward to testing out newly built bike.
    Eric
    Last year, Provincials (and the revenge) was at Kelso so it wasn't called "Kelso". Not sure about this year. For whatever reason, it seemed to suit me great last year since it was my best result by far!

They usually give you a best guess of how many laps you'll have to do at the start. After that, they start a lap chart at the start/finish line to tell you how many laps you have left (things slow down a LOT if it rains or snows...). When you're on your last lap (the "bell" lap), they ring a big bell to let you know this is your last time 'round.

veldrijder
    No kelso races this year, as SRCC got sick of dealing with the land owners and chose to focus their organizational efforts on the Guelph cross alone.

As for the duration, gm has it correct. Laatste Ronde!

veldrijder
    And since this has turned into the annual EC cyclocross thread, it seems, how about an annoying video:

TatYana Storm - Superprestige lied "De Cross Gaat Door" - YouTube

bi-winning
    Thanks Jeff for confirming. I was half asking, half ranting a little.

I'm signed up for my first CX race. Kinda excited.
    The few times I've raced 'cross, I've felt very comfortable in the Beginner Men category. FWIW, YMMV, etc.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Evil Jr.
    Just registered for Cowbell! Very excited CX season is finally here!

veldrijder
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Just registered for Cowbell! Very excited CX season is finally here!
    Why not make it a weekend and race both days?

I've got some great features planned for the course, and the coffee should be the best stuff to be served at a race all season.

Evil Jr.
    Why not make it a weekend and race both days?

I've got some great features planned for the course, and the coffee should be the best stuff to be served at a race all season.
    I really wanted to do both days (and probably will most the rest of the fall) but I have a trail build day on Saturday.

If it rains, I might still be in for the race...

veldrijder
    We'll get by without you if we really have to

Building trails is a legitimate excuse anyway. I don't think we're expecting much rain but you never know!

All my faucets is Moen.

From the CX Communique
    Quote Originally Posted by OCA
    The upcoming cyclocross season is the 2012 season (due to the UCI World Championships being held in January 2012). This means that your racing age will be your age as of December 31, 2012, which will be one year older than the racing age you had during the road and MTB seasons. To determine your racing age subtract your birth year from 2012.
    Which means the CX UCI license on the OCA website is incorrect since it states 2011.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by thedumbopinion View Post
    From the CX Communique

Which means the CX UCI license on the OCA website is incorrect since it states 2011.
    That same ruling was the reason why I raced my first race as a 40 year-old LAST fall. (I don't even turn 40 until November).

mtbr member
    And since this has turned into the annual EC cyclocross thread, it seems, how about an annoying video:

TatYana Storm - Superprestige lied "De Cross Gaat Door" - YouTube
    FYI: If you write:

PHP Code:
    [youtube]w-w3weAWxF0[/youtube
    You get the video embeddd in your message:

Note that you put just the youtube video’s id. It’s easy to extract from an url such as:

PHP Code:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-w3weAWxF0 

Evil Jr.
    In for Guelph!

I just found out that my 4-man team for the Fall 8 might have injured itself down to a 3-man so I'm might be a little more pooched for this one than I'd intended!

veldrijder
    I'm told the Guelph course this year has much less "going up the hill" and more "on the side of the hill" with a focus on a faster course. As far as I'm concerned that is awesome news. I am looking forward to it

Evil Jr.
    Oh that could be fun, maybe like Christie Pits last year!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Hitting up my first cross race with my new cross bike this Sunday for Guelph!

Are you able to preride the course the morning of?

Evil Jr.
    First race (my race) is at 10. I usually aim to get there around 8:30 or so and do a quick casual lap just to learn the course, plan my lines and figure out the barriers. Then I register and do two more laps, each successively faster to warm up. I'll session anything that's giving me grief.

You can also ride the course in the gaps between races.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Louda View Post

New bike? How exciting!

You can ride the course between races. If you really want some time on the course, show up before the first race of the day (10am?). Otherwise you'll have time for only a lap or two before your race.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Louda View Post

Have fun.

Do the Brick workouts count as a advantage?

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Barriers.......You are doing it wrong.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bEGAIYKTZ9w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Last edited by Enduramil; 09-20-2011 at 12:11 PM.

Evil Jr.
    Holy *****!

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Nice attention to detail in the rider's technique.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Nice attention to detail in the rider's technique.
    Last time I saw someone take a launcher like that was 98.

Evil Jr.
    Bye bye V10!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dlLubsKEGv0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No. Just No.
    Yep, heavy barrier contact usually seems to result in a more pronounced and immediate downward trajectory, as opposed to the impressive arc and hang time on display here. Nice find.

No. Just No.
    Bye bye V10!
    The time taken to retrieve his bike and re-enter back on to the course at the same point under the tape that his bike went through, probably explains why Bryceland - normally a very competitive rider in the field - came through 91st out of 92 total finishers over 4 minutes down!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I can't say I've seen that before. Heck, I've yet to see someone trip and fall on a barrier in my years of watching the cyclocross races at Centennial Park. I've seen people get hung up and that's about it, the only carnage I've seen was in the sand pits.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    I can't say I've seen that before. Heck, I've yet to see someone trip and fall on a barrier in my years of watching the cyclocross races at Centennial Park. I've seen people get hung up and that's about it, the only carnage I've seen was in the sand pits.
    Oh gosh, last year at Nationals, Kyle Douglas tripped over the first barrier and slammed the second one head-first. He CRAWLED under the tape and a spectator had to roll his bike away. Ouchie!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Bye bye V10!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dlLubsKEGv0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Was actually thinking of the Hermminator,

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5OaM6m7SKOM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No. Just No.
    I can't quite tell from the full speed vid, but the bike is barely off the ground, still kind of bouncing along, as he reaches the barrier. It seem like he never really got the grip he wanted on the frame (hand is already up in the air before he hits the barrier) and was left only with a one-handed grip on the bars instead. That's just not going to get the job done.

Then his single handed grip on the bars is actually what launched him upward, as the front wheel of the bike effectively became a fixed point of rotation against the barrier for a split second (with the back end of the bike continuing to rotate up and over). Who the heck am I kidding though. I'm not an engineer, and don't play one on TV.

No. Just No.
    Was actually thinking of the Hermminator
    Isn't the Herminnator DH skiing's equivalent of Nuck Chorris? e.g. The Herminnator doesn't hit barriers, he just wants to show you how easily he can bust through them???

namagomi
    he just wants to show you how easily he can bust through
    them???

OH YEAH!

No. Just No.
    So, you're trying to say that Herrman Maier was the guy inside the big Koolaid suit? I'm sorry, but I just don't think that's correct.

Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post

OH YEAH!

namagomi
    So, you're trying to say that Herrman Maier was the guy inside the big Koolaid suit? I'm sorry, but I just don't think that's correct.
    Colours match... There are lots of impersonators(besides joey) though.

Over the bars...
    After demoing a brand new 2012 Rocky Mountain Solo CXR at Hydrocut today my urge to get into CX just grows!!! I was amazed how well it rode in even technical sections.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by egggman View Post
    After demoing a brand new 2012 Rocky Mountain Solo CXR at Hydrocut today my urge to get into CX just grows!!! I was amazed how well it rode in even technical sections.
    I like my '07 Rocky Solo CX.

When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

namagomi
    Looking forward to seeing the new CX frames with disc brakes.

veldrijder
    In for Guelph!
    Thanks for the cheers from yourself, nerdgirl and others on the hill. They were much appreciated and provided some good motivation. Between that crowd and updates on position I was getting elsewhere on course I had a pretty good idea where I was.

No. Just No.
    Looking forward to seeing the new CX frames with disc brakes.
    I'm looking forward to seeing new gruppos from Shimano and SRAM with hydraulic brifters to put on my existing CX frame and fork that already have disc tabs.

Evil Jr.
    Thanks for the cheers from yourself, nerdgirl and others on the hill. They were much appreciated and provided some good motivation. Between that crowd and updates on position I was getting elsewhere on course I had a pretty good idea where I was.
    It was a great day on a fantastic course. I really enjoyed the long technical section. I found it both physically and mentally challenging and the layout was one of the best yet for spectating!

Personally, I had a great race. For the last lap and a half, I had a five-man pace line chasing me down and I had to work my butt off to stay away. Nearly tripped on my last time over the first barrier and threw it all away but thanks to some great cheering, I was able to collect myself and hold on for the "win".

Best race of the day was Amanda Sin's absolute dismantling of the Men's M2 field. She's on great form right now!

mtbr member
    Guelph Cross was a blast - short video report coming soon!

Evil Jr.
    In for the Hustle!

Monstercross on Saturday will make a great warm-up!

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    I wonder if this is code for: "The city gouged us"?
    The Canadian Cyclo-cross National Championships will not return to Earl Bayles Park in Toronto this year, after the space became unavailable. The event - still on November 5th by organizer ZM Cycle - has been moved to Pine Point Park in the Toronto suburb of Etobicoke. The location is just north of Highway 401 and east of Islington Avenue.

Evil Jr.
    Locals probably didn't like the way last year's course grooved "ZM" into the grass on the far hill.

namagomi
    Long live Z&M!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Sweet, I get another CX event in my area to spectate!

mtbr member
    The CSAJ race will unlikely be at Riverdale as well. With the new administration comes new park managers. Seems bike events are no longer welcome in the Cities parks.
    If ya can't fix it with a hammer and vice-grips...it don't need fixin!

All my faucets is Moen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Race_Bannon View Post
    The CSAJ race will unlikely be at Riverdale as well. With the new administration comes new park managers. Seems bike events are no longer welcome in the Cities parks.
    But the mayor included a bike in this photo. Good times.

namagomi
    But the mayor included a bike in this photo. Good times.

Hahahaha... is that a big gulp in his hand?! look at the size of that straw, it must be

Just in case you were starting to pity him

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Race_Bannon View Post
    When I talked to my city contact.. Councillor Holiday is losing his battle against the BMX track.

Evil Jr.
    Just back from the Hustle. My race was perfectly awesome if a tad on the cold and blustery side. Tried for another sprint finish but the other guy just had better legs.

Unfortunately for the racers (but, fortunately for the spectators, ), the skies opened up and drenched the Elite/M1 field. I was looking so forward to a Stafford/Glassford battle for the win but it never materialized with Peter killing a chain and Jared rolling a tire and succumbing to the cold.

In the end, Mr. Chown walked away with top honours and the dinner jacket. Wow!

Despite the conflict with Tour de King, it was the biggest Hustle yet. I'd say things are looking good for CX in Ontario, the CoT not withstanding!

bi-winning
    Unfortunately for the racers (but, fortunately for the spectators, ), the skies opened up and drenched the Elite/M1 field. I was looking so forward to a Stafford/Glassford battle for the win but it never materialized with Peter killing a chain and Jared rolling a tire and succumbing to the cold.

In the end, Mr. Chown walked away with top honours and the dinner jacket. Wow!
    That does sound pretty sweet for a morning racer / afternoon spectator.

Evil Jr.
    In for Durham!

Much like Guelph, I've never had this one fit my schedule before so I'm excited. Afterwards, it's off to the Monsters In Law for deep fried turkey with all the fixins!

Lemmy Rules!
    In for Durham!

Much like Guelph, I've never had this one fit my schedule before so I'm excited. Afterwards, it's off to the Monsters In Law for deep fried turkey with all the fixins!
    Sounds like fun. I'll be engaging in a different kind of suffering on Sunday - will be lugging the dock out at the parents' cottage this weekend, while trying to prevent my dad from over-exerting himself...

Of course I will be taking Gravedigger to Muskoka with me for a fall colours ride once all the work is done so maybe that will make up for it. Negotiations are also underway with Mrs. Unglued for Toronto Cross to be my cx debut (other than last tuesday's shambolic race at Centennial practice night).
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Deep fried turkey FTW. That is all.

veldrijder
    I too have never done Durham and look forward to checking it out this year finally. It should be a great course from what I have heard.

mtbr member
    I didn't race much last year, but of all the races I did do, Durham was definitely the best course. I had a blast. Its definitely one of those well balanced courses between roadies and mtbers. People would pull away from me in the first half of the course, but by the time it got to the long sandy descent back to the finish, you could catch them all again by carrying speed through the corners and not putting feet down. That was a lot of fun.

Evil Jr.
    I too have never done Durham and look forward to checking it out this year finally. It should be a great course from what I have heard.
    Did you go to New England last weekend? I thought I saw one of your riders in the results.

veldrijder
    Did you go to New England last weekend? I thought I saw one of your riders in the results.
    Yes, I went to Gloucester. There's a pretty big contingent of Cyclocrossracing.com guys there, and this weekend myself and one of our real elite riders (Tristan Schouten) were present.

Evil Jr.
    Yes, I went to Gloucester. There's a pretty big contingent of Cyclocrossracing.com guys there, and this weekend myself and one of our real elite riders (Tristan Schouten) were present.
    Yep, that was who it was. It looked like there were a few GTA racers out there. Looked like a great event!

The week before, I found Emily Batty, Adam Morka and Peter Glassford in the results!

No. Just No.
    From the west coast CX scene, here's a vid below from the Cat 1/2 & M1/M2 start at our club's annual BC Cup event that we organize. Not sure if it complies with UCI regs, but this year we used a set of mini-barriers (i.e. patio "ties") that you'll see near the beginning to slow everyone down a bit before hitting the stair run-up, which was pretty sketch in previous years with the first lap pack hitting it like a tsunami. We've definitely seen a couple of shins and forearms show signs of wear and tear. Otherwise the course is pretty basic being limited in creatvity somewhat by the venue, but it's also a hard race exactly for that reason with almost no spots for recovery.

Great turnout this year with almost 200 senior racers, plus another 40+ in the non-competitive kids' events which is by far our biggest turnout ever for the kids. We usually set up 2 kids' courses, one as a very basic small circuit of yellow cones for the run bike, training wheels, push bikes, etc. then a much larger course actually taped off with twists and bends almost like a real scaled-down CX course. We've even used foam pool noodles as a faux-baiier dismount zone in some years. Squirts all had fun!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zDC_GMzmNhM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Evil Jr.
    They put a similar set of medium sized logs right before a run-up at the Hustle too. In practice, it was rideable but once the race got underway, traffic made it impossible. After two laps of total fail, I gave up and started running only to discover that it was actually way faster to hoof it!

namagomi
    From the west coast CX scene, here's a vid below from the Cat 1/2 & M1/M2 start at our club's annual BC Cup event that we organize. Not sure if it complies with UCI regs, but this year we used a set of mini-barriers (i.e. patio "ties") that you'll see near the beginning to slow everyone down a bit before hitting the stair run-up, which was pretty sketch in previous years with the first lap pack hitting it like a tsunami. We've definitely seen a couple of shins and forearms show signs of wear and tear. Otherwise the course is pretty basic being limited in creatvity somewhat by the venue, but it's also a hard race exactly for that reason with almost no spots for recovery.

Now i know why the camera in your video was following the guy in the mumu! That guys corner like roadies leaned everything right over! think I even saw a set of SB8's though i may be imagining things.

Evil Jr.
    Excellent crash! Very reminiscent of what we get at New Year's Eve Cross.

As a racer, this is the last thing you want but as a spectator, this is GOLD!

Lemmy Rules!

So what is the deal with cyclocross Toronto

So I have been scouring the internet for details. The event is 8 days away and all I have been able to learn is that the saturday races will be at some point after 6pm. No info on the actual schedule, the number of laps for each race, preregistration, or when the course will be open to pre-ride.

Can anyone fill me in on these things, or where I can find out this info? Also, can I race M3 with a citizen permit or if not, will 1-day race licences be available?

Strange that for what I understand to be one of Ontario's biggest events that there is so little info out there....
    Strava made me do it....

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    So I have been scouring the internet for details. The event is 8 days away and all I have been able to learn is that the saturday races will be at some point after 6pm. No info on the actual schedule, the number of laps for each race, preregistration, or when the course will be open to pre-ride.

Can anyone fill me in on these things, or where I can find out this info? Also, can I race M3 with a citizen permit or if not, will 1-day race licences be available?

Strange that for what I understand to be one of Ontario's biggest events that there is so little info out there....
    These are all very good points. It looks like the race might be at the CNE after the bike show which would be very cool (and would allow me to actually do the event).

Keep checking Midweek and Cyclocross Ontario for details I gues...

M3 can be done with a Citizen's Permit. You're all set.

EDIT: It appears on the OCA site that you can pre-reg for the Sunday race and I forgot to mention that the number of laps is determined after the first two laps. It all depends on lap times.

veldrijder
    Info HERE: http://www.ontariocycling.org/web_do...uide%20(2).pdf

This was posted way too late. It should have been available months ago.

Evil Jr.
    Wow, Day 1 looks brutal, a lot like UCI two years ago!

All my faucets is Moen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post

Welcome to Ontario cyclocross.

Evil Jr.
    Welcome to Ontario cyclocross.
    Compared to road and MTB, CX almost seems underground. You need to know the right people if you want to race...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Info HERE: http://www.ontariocycling.org/web_do...uide%20(2).pdf

This was posted way too late. It should have been available months ago.
    thanks for posting Jeff, Day one looks awesome, wish all courses were like that.

the best news is the triple is possible Day 1 CX Sat, Sun 50k at HH in the AM, CX#2 at 3pm

Agree if the times were the same it wouldnt be a big deal, but with totally different start times both days this should have been sent out many weeks ago.

just noticed this "Competitors are
    encouraged to
    ride with lights.
    Ski hill lights will
    be supplemented."

veldrijder
    Quote Originally Posted by swabag View Post
    thanks for posting Jeff, Day one looks awesome, wish all courses were like that.
    I don't, but I can see how those of you who go uphill better would. Even the descent, however, does not appeal to me as much as a good flowing flat to rolling course. That said we should get just that at the bottom half and for all of day 2. The centennial courses are always good.

the best news is the triple is possible Day 1 CX Sat, Sun 50k at HH in the AM, CX#2 at 3pm
    The fact that you are doing this is hilarious and awesome.

Compared to road and MTB, CX almost seems underground. You need to know the right people if you want to race...
    It was not like this in years past. I don't know why more organizers don't see the importance of getting at minimum a flyer/website/guide up a couple months in advance and getting the OCA to link it on their calendar.

Hillbilly had good info but posted very late, Durham info is sparse and was posted very late, Toronto info is just being made available now (not helped by the changes from the usual times) and the only race after that with anything posted is the Barrie CC Baseball Cross.

That's all beside the point that there are serious problems with the venue for Nationals less than one month away, and 6 weeks away from Provincials there is no tech guide.

It's not that hard! The first 3 races of the season all had appropriate info up well in advance.

Evil Jr.
    Well you did awesome the last time we had a course that looked like that!

It should play to my strengths too but it'll still hurt.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    For the folks doing Toronto 'Cross next Sunday, I can take you guys on a tour of the local trails after your races are done. Bring a mountain bike along, though I have seen a couple guys on 'cross bikes in there I do not recommend it.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Wasn't this the same argument as last year?? Last year the excuse was "Oh sorry we are busy with Ontario Games" response. As the OCA office was overwhelmed with an event that occurs every 2 years.

And then they whine no one wants to race. Hmmm..... would you keep going to Cafe Domestique if you got the same crappy service?

Same stuff has and is occurring in other offices in Sport Alliance. It will be amusing to see how much more of a mess this becomes in the next 3 years leading up to and including Pan Ams.

Speaking of which... time to watch the OVA chaos.

Looking for Adventure
    For the folks doing Toronto 'Cross next Sunday, I can take you guys on a tour of the local trails after your races are done. Bring a mountain bike along, though I have seen a couple guys on 'cross bikes in there I do not recommend it.
    Ahh, I like doing the local Etobicoke Creek trails on my cross bike
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

mtbr member

Cyclo Cross Races

There are a bunch of Cyclo Cross races in Ontario check them out mtbiking.ca

Lemmy Rules!
    I don't, but I can see how those of you who go uphill better would. Even the descent, however, does not appeal to me as much as a good flowing flat to rolling course. That said we should get just that at the bottom half and for all of day 2. The centennial courses are always good.

The fact that you are doing this is hilarious and awesome.

It was not like this in years past. I don't know why more organizers don't see the importance of getting at minimum a flyer/website/guide up a couple months in advance and getting the OCA to link it on their calendar.

Hillbilly had good info but posted very late, Durham info is sparse and was posted very late, Toronto info is just being made available now (not helped by the changes from the usual times) and the only race after that with anything posted is the Barrie CC Baseball Cross.

That's all beside the point that there are serious problems with the venue for Nationals less than one month away, and 6 weeks away from Provincials there is no tech guide.

It's not that hard! The first 3 races of the season all had appropriate info up well in advance.

Agreed - for those of us with families, plans have to be made in advance. What would have been so difficult about having this flyer ready in August? Even if it didn't have the course layout on it...

I'm going to try and make it out for the Saturday night race. I'm on dad duty on Sunday mornings, so I think that rules out the Sunday race @ noon
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hey guys
    What's the scoop on nationals? I don't get the local gossip since I moved to Calgary. I was thinking of coming back for nationals, but have heard rumors of potential suckage.
    Any info would be appreciated, either publicly on the forums or by PM.
    Thanks
    The poster formerly known as 800_lb_gorilla

veldrijder
    I'll PM info. Basically there were (are) concerns over the venue and course. They are being addressed but I am not convinced it will be awesome. Adequate? Probably, but not much more.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    and the only race after that with anything posted is the Barrie CC Baseball Cross.
    speaking of the baseball CX, prelim course map posted, some of the finer bits will be tweaked but this is the jist of it......never mind i suck at this computer stuff, go to facebook and search "5th annual BCC cyclocross race" an event page should pop up.

Evil Jr.
    Durham was a tough one. Got there, felt great and quickly decided after a quick exploratory lap that I was going to have a great day. This course had my name written all over it: tons of tech with a perfect climb for passing.

Alas, with a great start and in great position, it all fell apart on the very first descent by the parking lot. I made a quick course correction to avoid the rider ahead of me and PFFT! - rear pinch flat.

The field had already gone by again before I got it fixed (and got my frustration under control) but 'cross ain't for quitters so I set about finishing what I had left of the race.

In the end, I had a lot of fun and did my best to stay out of peoples' way... I'll be back!

veldrijder
    Durham was a pretty big flop for me. I started off by bashing my knee on my stem (or something equally hard) during a warm-up lap. Then I showed up to the start a little late and lined up second row, only to have those who showed up even later make the front row wider. Then I got boxed in and Chown and I leaned on each other trying not to crash through the sketchy corner on to the course.

It got better from there, as I moved from probably close to last up to the low teens. Legs were crap though, and by halfway into the race I was just riding around to finish, focusing on trying to ride as smoothly as possible on the technical sections. Hurray for last place!

GM and Nerdgirl watched me make room for possibly the cleanest pass ever by Mancini on one of the fast switchback corners on the descent. Good times!

Evil Jr.
    GM and Nerdgirl watched me make room for possibly the cleanest pass ever by Mancini on one of the fast switchback corners on the descent. Good times!
    That was the best pass I'd seen in a long time! It all happened so fast, you guys were already down at the next hairpin before we got out our WHOA!s.

We were talking to Peter's dad for a bit there and he spent a lot of time telling us that the course was "crazy" and "This is a MTB race, not cyclocross!!!"

veldrijder
    That was the best pass I'd seen in a long time! It all happened so fast, you guys were already down at the next hairpin before we got out our WHOA!s.
    Trust me it was all Peter's doing. I just got out of the way and made sure not to take him out, but it's awesome that we did that without communicating or him even calling the pass. Just a quick shoulder check, move over and keep going.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Loved the Durham course- yes more mtb friendly than other races, but still had the flat power sections. For those complaining that it isn't a cross course - it is 100% cyclocross based on European standards. Durham was easy compared to the cross races I did in Belgium a few years ago.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Okay... Ontario CX is now staid and completely like eating pablum.

Day of the Dead Super D

http://forums.mtbr.com/cyclocross/cy...-d-742709.html

veldrijder
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine Princess View Post
    Loved the Durham course- yes more mtb friendly than other races, but still had the flat power sections. For those complaining that it isn't a cross course - it is 100% cyclocross based on European standards. Durham was easy compared to the cross races I did in Belgium a few years ago.
    My complaints do not lie with the difficulty or technical nature of the course. The main issue I had was the start, which took a >90° turn on asphalt into a section of course not much wider than 1m. Pretty much insane, and totally unsafe, yet it defined the whole race because there was nowhere to pass after that until you started up the main climb. This isn't a problem if your category has 5-10 on the start line, but when you have 25 all of whom are capable of starting reasonably fast, if you're not on the front row you were out of luck.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    yes I agree that corner was a bad idea. I was just commenting on the course as a whole.

All my faucets is Moen.
    Looks like at least one person is attempting the triple. Good luck.

Lemmy Rules!
    NOW it feels like cyclocross season.
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Wow, Day 1 looks brutal, a lot like UCI two years ago!
    Just got back from cheering on one of my friends and talking with her about the course. She said it was pretty technical & fun but pretty tough in terms of fitness especially with a brutal headwind on the flat sections. There was also some quality carnage in the mudpit which was located right on the exit of a turn, bike slides out, rider meets ground and goes sliding off the course. I thought about taking photos there, then I realized I'd be in the kill zone if a rider goes down.

Start of the M2 race, I think

A bit of a small field...that's all the Masters and Elite women

I'll be back at the race tomorrow, say hi to the guy on a bright yellow Trek with a camera hanging around his neck.

Lemmy Rules!
    I saw a bunch of people at the Toronto Cross on Saturday with cameras snapping shots of the riders. Anyone able to help me with where these photos might be posted on-line?
    Strava made me do it....

Looking for Adventure
    Saturday night cross at Centennial Park Ski Hill (Toronto Cross) was uber cool under the lights! Was great watching the elite men storm up to the top of the ski hill, and then cruise at high speed back down handling all the tough corners. Andrew Watson was the man of the night and was showing his technical prowness with his amazing ability to fly through the corners without losing grip!

Today's second Toronto Cross event was packed and had a field of 40 in Master 3. Course did get me under the grips of near explosion even though there was few hills. Last lap was a battle between a mountain bike and myself, where I excelled on the flats, turns, and barriers; but he finally got me on the one major uphill every time. His running was more superior damn it!

Looking for Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricksom View Post
    Saturday night cross at Centennial Park Ski Hill (Toronto Cross) was uber cool under the lights! Was great watching the elite men storm up to the top of the ski hill, and then cruise at high speed back down handling all the tough corners. Andrew Watson was the man of the night and was showing his technical prowness with his amazing ability to fly through the corners without losing grip!

Today's second Toronto Cross event was packed and had a field of 40 in Master 3. Course did get me under the grips of near explosion even though there was few hills. Last lap was a battle between a mountain bike and myself, where I excelled on the flats, turns, and barriers; but he finally got me on the one major uphill every time. His running was more superior damn it!
    Great video of both Saturday night and Sunday elite races!

2011 Toronto Cyclocross Weekend - YouTube

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    We're putting on a cross race at Albion on Nov 27

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I believe someone broke his leg or ankle at the Sunday race, I saw the poor guy with his leg all splinted up being carried from the chalet by my old boss and another racer. Hopefully it's not too serious and he'll be ok soon.

I still have to get my film developed so I don't have any photos of the M2 and womens races yet, only the Elite and M1 men.

Late arrival hogging a front line start

Lined up for the start

Forest section

Elite men going over the barriers

Ok Emily, here's my name & number, call me anytime you want to ride the Creek

That's not a W
    Jul 2008
    This is so awesome. I wish it wasn't on the other side of the country.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DyttQepS60Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

namagomi
    I'm looking forward to seeing new gruppos from Shimano and SRAM with hydraulic brifters to put on my existing CX frame and fork that already have disc tabs.
    The hydro brifters from shimano are pretty much confirmed for next year.

Spec' has one now... Dunno if it's 135OLD though.

No. Just No.
    In the article below James Huang, who is usually fairly well-informed, thinks the 2012 brakes from Shimno will be mechanical calipers only to be used with existing brifters. He readily admits he doesn't know for sure though, and until we see official announcements or else high-quality leaked details nothing is written in stone. I'm hoping your info is better than Huang's in this case. Prototypes usually show up on an increasing number of pro bikes at least 6 months prior to official release also. So far, I've seen nothing that looks close to production, only some franken-brifters from SRAM last year. On a test rig belonging to Adam Craig perhaps??? I can't recall.

Shimano Dura-Ace Di2: 11-speed And Disc Brakes For 2013? | Cyclingnews.com

BB7 road calipers still on the bike above. No hydraulic yet, although I realize you were probably more just noting the availability of race level frames with tabs, rather than the full hydraulic aspect.

My CX frame with tabs is 130mm. While I'm sure I'll be able to find some 130mm disc hubs (maybe Bontrager branded, since they've done a lot of 130mm disc bikes) I may also investigate having a local framebuilder like Dekerf properly spread my rear triangle to 135mm although that's not necessarily such a good thing for the chainline if I pop in any old 135mm mtb disc hub that places the cassette further outboard. I'll have to think about it more and investigate options.

namagomi
    In the article below James Huang, who is usually fairly well-informed, thinks the 2012 brakes from Shimno will be mechanical calipers only to be used with existing brifters. He readily admits he doesn't know for sure though, and until we see official announcements or else high-quality leaked details nothing is written in stone. I'm hoping your info is better than Huang's in this case. Prototypes usually show up on an increasing number of pro bikes at least 6 months prior to official release also. So far, I've seen nothing that looks close to production, only some franken-brifters from SRAM last year. On a test rig belonging to Adam Craig perhaps??? I can't recall.

Shimano Dura-Ace Di2: 11-speed And Disc Brakes For 2013? | Cyclingnews.com

BB7 road calipers still on the bike above. No hydraulic yet.

My CX frame with tabs is 130mm. While I'm sure I'll be able to find some 130mm disc hubs (maybe Bontrager branded, since they've done a lot of 130mm disc bikes) I may also investigate having a local framebuilder like Dekerf properly spread my rear triangle to 135mm although that's not necessarily such a good thing for the chainline if I pop in any old 135mm mtb disc hub that places the cassette further outboard. I'll have to think about it more and investigate options.
    Ah, that is disappointing... bb7 roads are already compatible afaik so i don't understand why they would design a disc specific brifter unless they were going hydro. Yes i've seen those Frankenstein ones and there are options out there, but super expensive.

Yeah, i've heard good things about Dekerf, but of course spreading it will change the chainline. Might be small deal depending on your chainstay length. About the new specialized though, if big S can brand a custom 130mm 6-bolt hub they will! More money in their pocket when the hub fails. That is why i'm hoping for 135... or 142 what? Argh.

No. Just No.
    Yes i've seen those Frankenstein ones and there are options out there, but super expensive.
    Aside from the SRAM protos from last year, a couple of smaller vendors have shown aftermarket cable to hydraulic inline converters which I think you are referring to, but that seems like a lot of kludginess and $$$ when a proper solution is maybe just another year away.

That is why i'm hoping for 135... or 142 what? Argh.
    It will be be interesting to see how this shakes itself out. If we're assuming that the high end CX set is more akin to the road side, then racers may balk at any potential increase in Q-factor if it's needed on the crank to mate well with wider chainlines on 135 spaced rear ends. I'm guessing we'll see a mix of both 130 and 135 for a couple of years in a Beta vs. VHS type of battle until one or the other gains the upper hand in rate of adoption.

namagomi
    Aside from the SRAM protos from last year, a couple of smaller vendors have shown aftermarket cable to hydraulic inline converters which I think you are referring to, but that seems like a lot of kludginess and $$$ when a proper solution is maybe just another year away.

It will be be interesting to see how this shakes itself out. If we're assuming that the high end CX set is more akin to the road side, then racers may balk at any potential increase in Q-factor if it's needed on the crank to mate well with wider chainlines on 135 spaced rear ends. I'm guessing we'll see a mix of both 130 and 135 for a couple of years in a Beta vs. VHS type of battle until one or the other gains the upper hand in rate of adoption.
    Yeah, there are one or two custom solutions from company's that i've seen. I don't really think discs will catch on for road biking, for one if you hit the brakes you're losing! When i think of CX bikes on course, dirt road, off-road or just wet commuting(jake the snakes are common round here) that is where I really like discs. Two years ago when i was looking for a new CX/Sport ride everything was 130 old which support was and sort of is still not ideal. I think they'll eventually catch on, because off-road if you can brake later without worrying about "brake delay" you'll have an advantage.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

Matches what Ned Overend was saying in Dirt Rag when they asked him about this stuff. He mentioned he loved riding his cross bike on singletrack and such. And how stupid it was to have a bike that could ride through mud and such yet use such lousy braking.

On a side note.. it appears that the 2012 Surly Cross Check is having disc mounts now as well.

veldrijder
    I'm guessing we'll see a mix of both 130 and 135 for a couple of years in a Beta vs. VHS type of battle until one or the other gains the upper hand in rate of adoption.
    That's what it looked like maybe a year ago, but now I think it's fair to say things have settled on 135 mm OLD for all disc applications. We can only hope it doesn't swing back the other way, now that the majority of disc ready CX frames have been designed as such. It also makes it easier on hub manufacturers as they'll mostly just have to add lower hole count options to existing mtb hubs, though we'll no doubt see some new designs with lighter axles and such as well.

The rumours of hydraulic Di2 levers (presumably mated to XTR calipers or something similar rebranded as D-A) are a couple seasons out as far as consumers are concerned - I think 2013 model year at the earliest but maybe even 2014 before it really becomes available. Only then will the frames become more than a novelty as the current solutions are either awkward (324 Labs adapter w/Formula R1s), heavy (mechanical road BB7s) or both (TRP Parabox and similar designs).

I'm bracing myself for the jump to hydraulic discs and electronic shifting for CX in a couple years. It's going to be amazing not having to think about changing cables/housing EVER when usually it needs to be done a couple times per season on a cross bike.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    I'm bracing myself for the jump to hydraulic discs and electronic shifting for CX in a couple years. It's going to be amazing not having to think about changing cables/housing EVER when usually it needs to be done a couple times per season on a cross bike.
    Sounds great till the power source decides that critical shift to beat GM is when it's good to take a siesta.

Always remember.. murphy is 2 wheel lengths behind you.

No. Just No.
    That's what it looked like maybe a year ago, but now I think it's fair to say things have settled on 135 mm OLD for all disc applications.
    That would be nice. I probably have some disc hubs I can rebuild with CX rims. I'd like to wait until some new rim designs are out that take the material and weight out of the rim walls and put it into the spoke bed instead though, just like rim manufacturers have done to make MTB lighter and lighter over the years without compromising durability too much.

The rumours of hydraulic Di2 levers (presumably mated to XTR calipers or something similar rebranded as D-A) are a couple seasons out as far as consumers are concerned - I think 2013 model year at the earliest but maybe even 2014 before it really becomes available. Only then will the frames become more than a novelty as the current solutions are either awkward (324 Labs adapter w/Formula R1s), heavy (mechanical road BB7s) or both (TRP Parabox and similar designs).
    We'll see if Huang is on to something with a new Shimano road mech disc caliper for 2012. Lighter than BB7 hopefully, but in the grand scheme of things what's 25g per caliper weight difference really going to do?

Sounds great till the power source decides that critical shift to beat GM is when it's good to take a siesta.

Always remember.. murphy is 2 wheel lengths behind you.
    Meh. I've never used Di2, but from what I understand battery life is actually very good, to the point that you'd have to be an idiot to have it run out during a ride or race. Murphy probably has just as many ways to bring down a standard cabled drivetrain as Di2. I know you can't forget your retrogrouch roots, but aside from cost there doesn't seem to be much not to like with Di2. Maybe trickle across to the mountain bikes within a couple of years?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Meh. I've never used Di2, but from what I understand battery life is actually very good, to the point that you'd have to be an idiot to have it run out during a ride or race. Murphy probably has just as many ways to bring down a standard cabled drivetrain as Di2. I know you can't forget your retrogrouch roots, but aside from cost there doesn't seem to be much not to like with Di2. Maybe trickle across to the mountain bikes within a couple of years?
    It's not the battery life that's the problem, it's the electronics required to make it all work, or more specifically, the solder used to hold those chips to the circuit board. Thanks to various environmental regulation we now have to use lead-free solder for everything except military/aerospace, medical, and certain automotive applications (ie. airbag modules). Unfortunately lead-free solder isn't as reliable as the old lead-containing stuff which is why they don't use it in life or death applications.

The problem is you now have an electronics assembly in the derailleur which is in an area of the bike that gets vibrated, bounced, and knocked around like hell. On top of that it's getting hit with large temperature cycles as the bike goes indoors to outdoors and back in. It's an extremely hostile environment for electronics, and with lead-free solder the reliability and particularly the durability of the system goes down the crapper. You're pretty much guaranteed to crack a solder joint or pull a wire off the board well before you manage to wear out a mechanical derailleur.

So that's why mechanical systems are still best. They have fault tolerance and fewer ways to fail. They tolerate cyclocross and mountain bike hell abuse a lot better than electronic stuff.

namagomi
    It's not the battery life that's the problem, it's the electronics required to make it all work, or more specifically, the solder used to hold those chips to the circuit board. Thanks to various environmental regulation we now have to use lead-free solder for everything except military/aerospace, medical, and certain automotive applications (ie. airbag modules). Unfortunately lead-free solder isn't as reliable as the old lead-containing stuff which is why they don't use it in life or death applications.

The problem is you now have an electronics assembly in the derailleur which is in an area of the bike that gets vibrated, bounced, and knocked around like hell. On top of that it's getting hit with large temperature cycles as the bike goes indoors to outdoors and back in. It's an extremely hostile environment for electronics, and with lead-free solder the reliability and particularly the durability of the system goes down the crapper. You're pretty much guaranteed to crack a solder joint or pull a wire off the board well before you manage to wear out a mechanical derailleur.

So that's why mechanical systems are still best. They have fault tolerance and fewer ways to fail. They tolerate cyclocross and mountain bike hell abuse a lot better than electronic stuff.
    Considering where those electronics end up, solder which is free of lead is a good idea!

I'm more worried about the system slowly grounding itself out somehow(there is always creepage), particles of dirt getting into the servo motors and the servo motor burning out if it can't move the derailleur freely.

So far i don't know any people who actually use di2 so i can't say.

You can probably tell that system doesn't appeal to me much. For disclosure i still have friction shifters on one ride and i must say they're great for riding a bike in "heavy use" conditions such as salty slush and mud where trimming is necessary on occasion. Though barcons are awful for racing when compared to brifters.

veldrijder
    Though I don't own a Di2 group and haven't spent a lot of time on it, in my experience it works flawlessly in the worst conditions, and based on others who are using it the long term durability seems fine.

You're pretty much guaranteed to crack a solder joint or pull a wire off the board well before you manage to wear out a mechanical derailleur.
    I don't know how long you expect a mechanical derailleur to last, but so far the Di2 stuff is proving to be super durable. I am pretty sure you'll pull the cage off or wear out bushings long before the electronics go. Mechanical derailleurs lose spring tension and develop play in a matter of a season or two so if anything the electronic stuff is going to maintain an acceptable level of performance longer.

No. Just No.

Guaranteed to fail? Like the electronics in my rear hubs that haven't failed in 6+ years of use on my road bike, and 2 years on my mountain bike, including the best of wet and muddy conditions year round that the "wet coast" has to offer?

Though I don't own a Di2 group and haven't spent a lot of time on it, in my experience it works flawlessly in the worst conditions, and based on others who are using it the long term durability seems fine.
    The big name Euro CX studs are drama queens prone to whining about any mechanicals to the media in post race reports. Euro CX can be muddy as it gets, and I haven't heard any of them complaining about their Di2. I'm certainly not going to be an early adopter guinea pig, but if they come out with MTB versions, get through a year on the market without any really poor reports, and have a price less than weight in gold, then I'll be giving it a serious look.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Guaranteed to fail? Like the electronics in my rear hubs that haven't failed in 6+ years of use on my road bike, and 2 years on my mountain bike, including the best of wet and muddy conditions year round that the "wet coast" has to offer?
    If it's 8 years old it's almost certainly still using the old tin/lead solders which are far more reliable. The restrictions for lead-free solder came into effect around 2005-2006 when the EU passed its hazardous materials restrictions. Like I said, there's a reason that aerospace & medical electronics are exempted from the regulations, we can't have airplanes falling from the sky or life support systems going on the fritz because of bad solder joints.

No. Just No.
    If it's 8 years old it's almost certainly still using the old tin/lead solders which are far more reliable. The restrictions for lead-free solder came into effect around 2005-2006 when the EU passed its hazardous materials restrictions.
    No, the current units (road and XC) are just over 3 and 2 years old, respectively and therefore according to your information on the present standards for solder composition.

The previous road unit goes back a few more years.

namagomi
    Wheel failure impending??

No. Just No.
    Only if the wheel was built using lead free solder.

namagomi
    Only if the wheel was built using lead free solder.
    Looks like one of 'dem new fangled plastic wheels - Reckon he'll be lucky to survive.

Looking for Adventure
    I do jumps with my cross bike. Is that bad??

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Only if you do it wearing hair shorts, in broad daylight, wearing the wrong sock length, and using 700x15c's.

namagomi
    Yes, you might crash scraping up your tats and your 5ft dreads will get all muddy! Further, frame warranty will be voided!

Looking for Adventure
    Don't worry, I wear proper MTB racing attire at all times (including shoes), and have a lot of confidence in my German designed Cube brand bike. That sucker has taken a beating and not even a warped rim ! Helps that I am short of 160 lbs. too.

Don't have much hair left for dreads...

namagomi
    Came across article about CX & discs here.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    If yer getting yer butt kicked, might as well have fun and do it in style...

Photo credit to Toronto Rob's photosets on Flickr
    Last edited by sputnikcdn; 11-01-2011 at 07:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnikcdn View Post
    Is that you in the picture?

I was the Newb that you were giving a couple of tips to during the middle of the race. Just for some clarifications on cornering, I know enough to put my weight on the outside pedal and you mentioned leaning the bike over more in through the corners (presumably to get the tread on the side of tires to dig in?).

Should I be trying to get more weight onto my hands? I find that I don't have a lot of confidence in the front of my bike while cornering and back right off.

thanks, Adam

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CAADam9 View Post
    Is that you in the picture?

I was the Newb that you were giving a couple of tips to during the middle of the race. Just for some clarifications on cornering, I know enough to put my weight on the outside pedal and you mentioned leaning the bike over more in through the corners (presumably to get the tread on the side of tires to dig in?).

Should I be trying to get more weight onto my hands? I find that I don't have a lot of confidence in the front of my bike while cornering and back right off.

thanks, Adam
    Hi Adam,

Hilarious! Yep that was me... hope I was able to help, hope I didn't come across as obnoxious...

Ya, leaning the bike over, but keeping your weight directly over your tires can help traction in certain sketchy corners. Do you downhill ski? If so, think about a sharp parallel turn.

Cross riding is just like mountain biking, where your weight will move all over the bike depending on whether you're climbing, descending, turning on a flat slippery corner, turning on a banked corner....

Sometimes, you've got to "commit", to just dive in to a corner, pushing down really hard with your opposite hand (ie.. turning right, push down with left hand). For now, it's probably best not to think about the details so much, just think about traction... keeping as much weight on the wheels as you can, remembering that it doesn't hurt much when you fall on grass...

On Tuesday evenings at Centennial Park there's a practice session hosted by midweek... The OCA website has the listing.

Feel free to PM me if you want more info.

See you Saturday?

Cheers,
    Paul

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    If you hadn't figured it out, I'm more of a roadie that likes to dabble on the dirt. The advice was appreciated and it definitely got me going again after the pressure from behind went away, I guess when people get passed by me they just give up and DNF for some reason.

Keeping the weight over the tires makes a lot of sense, this might transform me into a competent Cross Racer and Mountain Biker!

I'm not decided yet on Saturday or Sunday yet but leaning towards the Saturday race.

Next year I think I will make an effort to get out early in the season for the Centennial practice nights, I'm riding at the Velodrome twice a week now for the winter so I think it would be just a bit to much driving at the moment.

Thanks Paul

Adam

Evil Jr.
    Another thing that makes a big difference in cornering is the "late apex". When you get it right, it allows for a much higher exit speed for a given amount of grip.

A lot of new riders also overlook thinking of the turns in a technical section of a CX course as a group. When the turns are stacked one on top of the other, thinking of them individually can leave you in an awkward position part way through a complex. Practice visualizing the fastest group of turns, where the exit from one leads smoothly to the entrance of the next.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I try to work on my lines throughout my warm up and feel like I do pretty good at that, at least until I'm in Oxygen debt and the head drops.

I've done a few track days at Shannoville Motorsports Park in the past and follow F1, MotoGP, etc. An early apex on a Cross bike might lead to a slow corner exit or fall, the stakes are a little higher in your daily driver car! Slow in, Fast out and being smooth applies well to cross, just putting it to practice can be hard sometimes.

Any Advice is Appreciated, I think I chased you down in the 10 am races earlier this season (on the straights)

Adam

veldrijder
    Another thing that makes a big difference in cornering is the "late apex". When you get it right, it allows for a much higher exit speed for a given amount of grip.
    Even better, it makes for a perfect passing opportunity if the person ahead goes in too hot and blows the corner. Just setup wide behind them, wait for them to head for the tape and accelerate past them on the racing line.

mtbr member
    May 2007

A lot of new riders also overlook thinking of the turns in a technical section of a CX course as a group. When the turns are stacked one on top of the other, thinking of them individually can leave you in an awkward position part way through a complex. Practice visualizing the fastest group of turns, where the exit from one leads smoothly to the entrance of the next.

I think you mean "early apex"... At least that's how I usually do turns (on the mtb too, depending on conditions). Not only does it give you a good chance to pass people who take the corner too hot, it allows room for corrections if you do make a line mistake.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Late Apex is correct, an early apex would be like riding the green line backwards and as you can see you will run out of space on corner exit and be forced to slow down (or take down the course tape)

Adam

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CAADam9 View Post
    Late Apex is correct, an early apex would be like riding the green line backwards and as you can see you will run out of space on corner exit and be forced to slow down (or take down the course tape)

Adam
    Whoops, I stand corrected.... I was mixing up the turn in point. Regardless, my reasons to make this turn this way stand...

Cheers,
    Paul

namagomi
    Even better, it makes for a perfect passing opportunity if the person ahead goes in too hot and blows the corner. Just setup wide behind them, wait for them to head for the tape and accelerate past them on the racing line.
    If it was only so easy! High-low and outside line passing gets blocked all the time particularly if your competitor can do a better job of braking later(disc brake).

veldrijder
    If it was only so easy! High-low and outside line passing gets blocked all the time particularly if your competitor can do a better job of braking later(disc brake).
    Of course, but blocking that pass requires you to be able to change your line. Often for cross you only have one chance to pick a line in the setup and then you run out of traction, so what I was saying is you simply wait for your competitor (who you hope is not as good a bike handler as you) to set it up wrong and pass them by taking the correct line with no extra effort. Just dive bombing every corner is not going to work, but when appropriate passes like that are key because they don't cost anything like making the pass by brute force on an open section does.

Evil Jr.
    It can be quite fun to bump handle bars/rub shoulders with another rider on a corner exit when one of you misjudges the line. Whether I'm the passer or the passee, I'm usually giggling as much as my lungs will allow. Just ask Mr. Opinion.

All my faucets is Moen.
    It can be quite fun to bump handle bars/rub shoulders with another rider on a corner exit when one of you misjudges the line. Whether I'm the passer or the passee, I'm usually giggling as much as my lungs will allow. Just ask Mr. Opinion.
    Yeah this discussion gave me a few flashbacks to the first southern cup of the year.
    Let me know when you want to discuss sprinting strategy.

Lemmy Rules!
    I wasn't laughing on Sunday at Hardwood. First corner and I'm in the pack. The guy next to me didn't hold his line (in fairness, I think that was because the rider next to him came down on him) and falls over on top of my front wheel causing me to go OTB and our bikes to become very tangled. By the time I got up and got my bike disentangled from his, I was 3-4 corners behind the pack and blew up on the third lap after turning myself inside out to catch up again.

I guess I should consider myself lucky, the guy who knocked me off broke his handlebars and his race ended after 100m. But then again, who uses carbon fiber bars in a cyclocross race????
    Strava made me do it....

namagomi
    Of course, but blocking that pass requires you to be able to change your line. Often for cross you only have one chance to pick a line in the setup and then you run out of traction, so what I was saying is you simply wait for your competitor (who you hope is not as good a bike handler as you) to set it up wrong and pass them by taking the correct line with no extra effort. Just dive bombing every corner is not going to work, but when appropriate passes like that are key because they don't cost anything like making the pass by brute force on an open section does.
    That is true, it's a bit riskier but if you've figured out the corners it's not that far fetched. The whole situation really isn't as simple as it appears. If you always pick the racing-line then you're not going to make time on other people who pick the racing line - so you must take it faster. Either way some risk you'll slide out. I must say that dive bombing corners is fun, particularly when you get it right! A lot more fun than trying to pass on a straight.

Looking for Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnikcdn View Post

Photo credit to Toronto Rob's photosets on Flickr

Got to agree

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    There were some good crashes in the first race this morning as frost and melting frost left a ton of slick spots on the course. One of the guys battling for a podium position rolled a tubular off the rim and dropped to mid-pack after struggling with a wheel change in the pit area. Headed back out for the afternoon races, should be fun.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Good article in the Globe today.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    This sounds less of a elected official decision and more of a bureacrat decision. But unfortunately some will jump on the "Blame the mayor" band wagon. The biggest cause of these issues is the management that never changes. When I worked for the city it was a mildly amusing but mostly mind numbing circle with management... get the complaint that the facility needed programs and such.. come up with stuff.... told can't do it.. and repeat as needed to make them look good.

So if a couple of managers decide the cycling on grass is evil it will become so. Let's face reality.. it's guys like Darth Garth who are driving the war on bikes.

Half the problem as well is that you apply for park event permits at the same office as the guy applying for a street party permit. Toronto really needs a Parks Board to apply for this stuff.

namagomi
    Hmm... Sounds like the organizers who got denied this year sorta blew their chances with the city by not ensuring the grass was properly replaced last year.

sock puppet

Did you read the article?

Hmm... Sounds like the organizers who got denied this year sorta blew their chances with the city by not ensuring the grass was properly replaced last year.
    "...
    City councillor Joe Mihevic, whose ward is home to Cedarvale Park, confirms the bike tires rubbed more than park grass the wrong way last year.
    According to Mr. Mihevic, there were “lots of complaints” about damaged grass, though he notes the turf was repaired by the organizers themselves...."

Evil Jr.
    This is another in a long line of suspiciously pro-bike articles in the Globe recently. Even I'm beginning to wonder what's going on...