Cyclist charged for Hitting a Pedestrian- Mtbr.com
    X-Ray Guy

Cyclist charged for Hitting a Pedestrian

Just read this...details are limited really.
    http://www.680news.com/news/local/ar...ith-pedestrian
    Last edited by Jawz; 07-06-2011 at 11:33 AM.

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jawz View Post
    Just read this...details are limited really.
    http://www.680news.com/news/local/ar...ith-pedestrian
    The article in the link you provided doesn't seem to correspond entirely with your thread title. Sorry to hear about pedestrian being struck and in serious condition. Hopefully the facts are being represented properly in terms of fault. It's always easier to initially blame the fast moving "vehicle", when in some cases the vehicle operator isn't given a reasonable chance to avoid the collision.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least though if the cyclist was at fault, given what can be frequently observed with some cyclists zooming down sidewalks close in front of street level business doorways, carelessly high speeds on MUPs when significant numbers of people including kids are on the path or nearby, etc.

We can always count on having some dumb drivers, dumb cyclists, and dumb pedestrians. No one group is above the others, although some may be more visible as targets for ill will ad generalizations.

X-Ray Guy
    sorry for the false advertising....i adjusted it

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I know that area, and if the news article is correct we have several problems. The pedestrians were said to be crossing with the light on the south side of the intersection and the cyclist who hit them was going southbound. If this is true the cyclist ran a red light crossing Dundas which is insanity, given that it's in Chinatown with a bajillion crazy and/or incompetent drivers. On top of that, Huron is a one-way both ways, you can't turn onto it from Dundas or continue on it from either direction when crossing Dundas. If he hadn't hit the pedestrian he would've been going the wrong way on a one-way.

mtbr member
    He might have made a right turn on the green and still hit a pedestrian he legally had to be yielding to, even if he hadn't been on a wrong-way street.

Safe bet: The Toronto Sun will give this story more media attention that the last 10 people struck and killed by cars put together..
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

sock puppet

let's hear the official report

before we jump to any conclusions... we don't even know what happened... if he was charged, then there may be something that we don't know... or not...

Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    He might have made a right turn on the green and still hit a pedestrian he legally had to be yielding to, even if he hadn't been on a wrong-way street.

Safe bet: The Toronto Sun will give this story more media attention that the last 10 people struck and killed by cars put together..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    If he hadn't hit the pedestrian he would've been going the wrong way on a one-way.
    This is, of course, entirely possible. We do not know what the police are alleging, much less what actually happened, but we've all seen cyclists going the wrong way on a one-way street.

namagomi
    This is just what Toronto cycling needs... what an idiot.

Cyclist runs stale light(probably just turned red), obviously didn't even slow down or sped up to beat it.
    Pedestrian quickly jumps off curb without looking(the wrong way mind you) surprising cyclist.
    WHAM!

The only thing that may make sense for the cyclist is that happened on a road which it is legal to go the wrong-way on if you're on a bicycle.

At any rate i'm sure this will trigger another well publicized witch-hunt for those killer cyclists.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/25991149?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0" width="400" height="225" frameborder="0"></iframe><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/25991149">What is wrong with this Bike Lane?</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/bikeunion">Bike Union</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

X-Ray Guy
    http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/ar...-400-fine?bn=1

more detailed article and outcomes thus far

Evil Jr.
    That was actually a pretty useful article. I now have a much better understanding of the difference between careless and dangerous driving and how they affect motorists vesus cyclists.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

sock puppet

such is law...

$130 if you don't have a bike bell installed on your bicycle, and $400 if you kill someone while riding your bike...

What if, instead of the lady, he hit a cop and fractured his skull?

"A cop killer fined $400"???

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/ar...-400-fine?bn=1

more detailed article and outcomes thus far

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    If you want to kill someone, you don't have to spend $400. You can do it legally for as little as $110 under the highway traffic act. Better do it quickly though, events like this are causing the honest burghers all over town to ask hard questions about whether we shouldn't switch to a more arbitrary system of fines and punishments, a la the NHL. Let's all enjoy it while it lasts... the privileges that are currently protected under our HTA are really quite remarkable, but now that the same protection is in this case helping to shelter a renegade (ie a non-motorist) from penitentiary time, or any time at all for that matter, motorists are fuming.

Evil Jr.
    I'm on the fence about this one. Logically, I can see the reasoning behind keeping the traffic offense and the criminal offense components of an accident separate. The traffic fine is like a PITA slap on the wrist for doing something stupid (arguably) but the intent component is better covered by the criminal code.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    $130 if you don't have a bike bell installed on your bicycle, and $400 if you kill someone while riding your bike...

What if, instead of the lady, he hit a cop and fractured his skull?

"A cop killer fined $400"???
    Cops have better lawyers and a union with a bottomless warchest, they'll sue your ass into the ground in civil court even if it costs them $20 million in lawyer fees.

mtbr member
    Reading the editorials and newspaper comment boards, it seems that the angry masses are all for increased restrictions and penalties, as long as they are specific to cyclists.

As soon as the issue of increased penalties for any vehicular negligence causing injury comes up, motorists seem to have reservations..
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    Reading the editorials and newspaper comment boards, it seems that the angry masses are all for increased restrictions and penalties, as long as they are specific to cyclists.

As soon as the issue of increased penalties for any vehicular negligence causing injury comes up, motorists seem to have reservations..
    Probably because they suddenly realize just how easy it is for them to kill people with their car, not just fracture a skull. They wouldn't want to be on the hook for that.

The public are a bunch of hypocrites.

What about this woman run down in caledon by a car, i bet her head was fractured also. The only thing in the online paper about her was a small tiny article. Not even in print, pretty sure that driver was negligent also.

X-Ray Guy

Evil Jr.
    Oh cripes, not that again.

12 pages of comments. I have an idea for their next topic: boxers vs. briefs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    Not even in print, pretty sure that driver was negligent also.
    I had to search the police blotter to figure out why there were flowers on a light pole a block from my house last fall. Pedestrian in crosswalk killed, driver charged with speeding and fail to yield. Nothing in any major newspaper. CBC Toronto did have a half-paragraph on it.

A few blocks north, the story about the 5-yr-old girl fatally struck in a crosswalk by an "unintended acceleration" last month disappeared from the news with no mention of charges.

They say I have a problem
    Another one in Flamborough...

http://www.thespec.com/news/crime/ar...mborough-crash

I ride that stretch periodically, not the best road...Lots of traffic!

No charges as of yet...Come on, it's beautiful day out, sunny out, road is fairly straight and flat...Hits her from behind?? Careless driving, instantly...

It's funny, but I know a number of people who have rear ended others and have been charged with careless right away...
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"

namagomi
    Another one today, policeman on bicycle was hit by a car in Kitchener.