Custom Painting?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Custom Painting?

Hey,

So i found an awesome thread on here where people had sprayed their disc rotors fun colors. So i decided im gonna get a nice red color to go with ym all grey bike.

Im gonna paint a couple bolt heads, like my cage bolts, and the seatpost collar. But i had some questions concerning a few other bits.

Would it be dumb to paint the spacer stack that sits under my stem?
    Or the stem itself perhaps?

Also, thought about the seat rails, and maybe the cage on my derailer...

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
    2008 Kona Caldera

"Today I saw my own son use a bicycle as a weapon....
    I seriously thought he was going to rape me"

Steady Creepin'
    Maybe more trouble than it's worth? I dunno, just speaking from personal opinion (and maybe I'm just lazy), but coloured bike bits are easily available on ebay and fairly cheap. I think something like the derailleur cage paint job might look like shiznit in a hurry too due to chain rub.

I have considered buying a cheap stem and painting it to match the frame though, does look kinda cool if done well.

bi-winning
    My primary concern would be the durability of the paint. If it starts to chip off, it is going to look like crap.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Painted stuff can look like crap really quickly in the mtb world with chipping and scratching. This guy has lots of coloured parts, bolts and bits for jazzing up your bike.

http://www.torontocycles.com/

namagomi
    Only if you're going to mount it above your fireplace mantle!

GAME ON!
    i sprayed me seatpost collar and rotors and they held up perfectly. i did about 3-4 coats of paint and then 3-4 coats of clear. it was time consuming, but i was waiting on other parts to be able to ride so it was ok.

mtbr member
    Ah, saturnine that looks wicked...

Pretty much what im going to do, except that i want to toss a little more color on.

What paint did you use? i got some good quality tremclad spray, cause the krylon stuff seemed cheap.

Dont think im gonna do the cage of the derailer, but im gonna do the stem and spacers.
    2008 Kona Caldera

GAME ON!
    i actually used the cheapest stuff they had at crappy tire. make sure you take your time, though. do it right and you won't have to do it again. rough up the surface if you have to, use several thin coats and don't skimp on the clearcoat. i used the wrong paint on some rocker arms one time and after a season of use they were discoloured and chipping but it was so much work to do again that i just left it.

Evil Jr.
    Spray bombing is definitely the budget way to go but another alternative is powder coating. Colour selection is a little more limited but durability is much better. A friend of mine got his VW wheels powder coated dark grey and they looked great and held up really well.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    i actually used the cheapest stuff they had at crappy tire. make sure you take your time, though. do it right and you won't have to do it again. rough up the surface if you have to, use several thin coats and don't skimp on the clearcoat. i used the wrong paint on some rocker arms one time and after a season of use they were discoloured and chipping but it was so much work to do again that i just left it.
    What, you didn't use the gold stuff??

The issue of course with DIY is coating the surface properly and avoiding crazy orange-peel or runs... Cheap paint jobs often look, well, cheap. Rattle-cans can be decent, but you have to go really slowly and have a bit of luck with temperatures, humidity and nozzle issues. Plus there is the whole health-issue if that bothers people.

GAME ON!
    you just have to know what you're doing. if you've never used a rattle can, you probably shouldn't be using one. if you have, well, it's not rocket science.

mtbr member
    I finished today, put everything back on the bike, and it looks awesome... I painted rotors, seatpost collar, stem spacers, cage bolts, derailleur hanger.
    oh and a pic of my new e13...the rotors are brand new as well, alligator wavys 180mm

pics:

2008 Kona Caldera

Evil Jr.
    That looks pretty cool! I had no idea that e13 bash guard was so big!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm thinking about spraying my rotor bolts and caliper bolts but don't know what paint to use? Anyone have any ideas??

Space for rent...
    Quote Originally Posted by lgoldie10 View Post
    I'm thinking about spraying my rotor bolts and caliper bolts but don't know what paint to use? Anyone have any ideas??
    How much is your time worth? You may want to consider these:-
    "Stainless steel" RED 12 PCS Disc Brake Rotor Bolts/ Disk Rotor BOLTS | eBay

If you search eBay also has chainring bolts...
    It's only pain......

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Cheers. Iv had a look an I mite buy some as I wanna add some colour to me bike to make it stand out

Members who have read this thread: 1