Current Trail Conditions in the GTA- Mtbr.com
    Bored

Current Trail Conditions in the GTA

I'm looking for a place to ride this weekend that doesn't have too much snow. Any suggestions? How much snow is at Durham? Is it ridable there?
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

They say I have a problem
    Well...

I'm planning on riding the Dundas Valley trails tomorrow morning...I'm guessing those trails will be just ripe for riding...no snow and totally frozen...Just perfect!!!
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"

mtbr member

what are the trails like....

Quote Originally Posted by rbart4506
    Well...

I'm planning on riding the Dundas Valley trails tomorrow morning...I'm guessing those trails will be just ripe for riding...no snow and totally frozen...Just perfect!!!

How is Dundas valley? I passed through it a couple times on the Hamilton -Brantford route saw a few trails off to the side...

Any trail guides available on line...

Cheers

Jan 2004

Say, do you have this problem?

Well...

The trails around here get weird, when they first freeze. For some reason, which I do not fully understand, the ground seems to change in character. It does not just get hard like you would expect from a frozen surface. On many of the trails, it seems to blossom into crunchy tendrils, about an inch or more long, that have air spaces between raised frozen shoots of dirt. It gets, well, crunchy.

I can't be describing it very well. I should have taken a picture before the snow fell.

Anyway, when you ride on it, the tendrils break in a crunchy sort of way and your tires sink
    into the crunchy stuff. This creates alot of rolling resistance and feels really weird.

It is not much fun to ride on this stuff.

I suspect it has something to do with the frost and the forest duff that comes down in the fall.

Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing?

old_dude

I've never run into that on the Dundas Trails. They tend to get hard and fast. Makes for a very fast ride considering the trails have limited technical challenges...

Personally I wouldn't make a special trip to ride the Dundas Valley trails. They really aren't very challenging and the amount of true singletrack is really limited. I only ride them because they are accessible out my front door. Nothing beats getting on my bike and riding about 10-15 minutes and then being on trail.

Most of the trail is predominately double track and a lot of it is gravel double track. There are a couple nice sections of singletrack that run along the bruce trail. The section from the Dundas Valley Golf Club to Governer's Road is good and there's a couple other small sections off the main loop at the Trail Centre that are good.

Overall the trail system is good for a cardio work-out and not much else....

Rich

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheelboy_490
    I'm looking for a place to ride this weekend that doesn't have too much snow. Any suggestions? How much snow is at Durham? Is it ridable there?
    I actually wated to know if there is enough snow to ski or snowshoe at durham this weekend.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Went by Durham Forest/Glen Major today and there's at least five inches of snow...go ten minutes south on Lakeridge Rd. and there's nothing.

livin' large
    Quote Originally Posted by old_dude
    The trails around here get weird, when they first freeze. For some reason, which I do not fully understand, the ground seems to change in character. It does not just get hard like you would expect from a frozen surface. On many of the trails, it seems to blossom into crunchy tendrils, about an inch or more long, that have air spaces between raised frozen shoots of dirt. It gets, well, crunchy.

I can't be describing it very well. I should have taken a picture before the snow fell.

Anyway, when you ride on it, the tendrils break in a crunchy sort of way and your tires sink
    into the crunchy stuff. This creates alot of rolling resistance and feels really weird.

It is not much fun to ride on this stuff.

I suspect it has something to do with the frost and the forest duff that comes down in the fall.

Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing?

old_dude

I have, It's definately an odd feeling but I find its easier to deal with compared to the slop that proceeds it

Bored

How much snow now?

I'm thinking with the thaw today and tomorrow, most of the snow will melt? Anychance I can get a good ride in on Friday (with nice hard fast trails?)
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheelboy_490
    I'm thinking with the thaw today and tomorrow, most of the snow will melt? Anychance I can get a good ride in on Friday (with nice hard fast trails?)
    Durham may be good or an ice rink depending on how much snow melted and where the water collected.

I may head out there for a ride on Saturday if Hardwood's ski conditions don't improve.

I wonder why?

... and if we just ... Currently, Ravenshoe has the best riding....

I was at Durham last Sat., there has been quite a bit of snow, then rain, which, froze, then more snow, rain, freezing, etc. The double track areas were somewhat ridable and the single track was nearly impossible (breaking trail thought crusty snow about 6' to 8" deep). After an hour I was toast.

On Sunday I went to Ravenshoe and the riding was surprising good. Much more traffic in a smaller area had packed many of the trails down. Studs were the best but not manditory, though I think they may be this weekend. Rode for 2.5 hours and had a great time. Lots more rideable trail that in previuos winters. If enough people continue the trails will remain packed and in good shape right through until spring.

Happy trails!

i1dry?

Sep 2004
    Personally I wouldn't make a special trip to ride the Dundas Valley trails. They really aren't very challenging and the amount of true singletrack is really limited. I only ride them because they are accessible out my front door. Nothing beats getting on my bike and riding about 10-15 minutes and then being on trail.

Most of the trail is predominately double track and a lot of it is gravel double track. There are a couple nice sections of singletrack that run along the bruce trail. The section from the Dundas Valley Golf Club to Governer's Road is good and there's a couple other small sections off the main loop at the Trail Centre that are good.

Overall the trail system is good for a cardio work-out and not much else....

Rich

WOW!!!
    Rich, how are you doing, long time no talk to, gee, I should look at MTBR more often, maybe find some more people I have not talked to, I guess I should tell you who this is, it is Jack from the old SOMTB days, we will have to get together and ride again someday.. drop me an e-mail... Jack