Crown Land?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Crown Land?

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    604

    New question here. Crown Land?

    I was hiking the other day with my wife and mother-in-law and noticed that we ended up on a trail where with a sign that said something about "this is crown land" and the only prohibited activities were fishing, camping and hunting (...use at your own risk...yada-yada).

    Does this mean I can mountain bike there?

    I recall a thread or two a while ago that discussed trails in Ontario and the mention of crown land...but can't recall if riding on crown land is allowed or not. I mean if it says it's government owned than it's not private property and if they don't cleary prohibit biking, then I think it's obvious...but I'm just checking with you intelligent people.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,025

    Bonking ... not feelin' well

    AFAIK, biking is permitted on Crown Land. I do it all the time on the Crown south of Apsley in the Peterborough Crown Game Preserve. Now in a Provincial Park, that may be a different story. Also, in the Living Legacy Signature Sites, which I don't know if they are in operation yet, mountain biking along w/ other uses & access will be restricted.

    Can you elaborate as to where you were?
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

  3. #3
    Space for rent...
    Reputation: SSteve F's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,012

    Steve F

    I have ridden crown land north of Oakville. I had called to verify everything was OK, and was told that as long you do build/damage trees etc, then you were free to use for "recreational" use.
    It's only pain......

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,025
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F
    I have ridden crown land north of Oakville. I had called to verify everything was OK, and was told that as long you do build/damage trees etc, then you were free to use for "recreational" use.
    I think you mean "don't build/damage trees..."
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    89

    No Crown Land south of the Severn River

    Crown Land is a term normally used for land owned by the federal government. Anything south of the Severn River that is public land is owned by the Province or their respective municipalities. Each municipality has there own bylaws pertaining to how the land should be used.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    604
    Quote Originally Posted by revrnd
    AFAIK, biking is permitted on Crown Land. I do it all the time on the Crown south of Apsley in the Peterborough Crown Game Preserve. Now in a Provincial Park, that may be a different story. Also, in the Living Legacy Signature Sites, which I don't know if they are in operation yet, mountain biking along w/ other uses & access will be restricted.

    Can you elaborate as to where you were?
    It's The Grange, close to Alton. I checked out a couple of trail reviews and it's the same land I was referring too. I went on the ministry natural resources site but couldn't easily find info about types of crown land and local bylaws, so I'll ride it every now and then and see how it goes.

  7. #7
    Space for rent...
    Reputation: SSteve F's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,012

    Doh!!

    It's only pain......

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,025
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch
    Crown Land is a term normally used for land owned by the federal government. Anything south of the Severn River that is public land is owned by the Province or their respective municipalities. Each municipality has there own bylaws pertaining to how the land should be used.
    I don't know where you got this info but any non-patented land (not private property) north of the Trent Severn is provincial as well. The property behind my folks' acreage north of Burleigh Falls is Crown Land and is owned & managed by the MNR.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

  9. #9
    Live 4 2day
    Reputation: lot8con8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    117

    Try.....


Similar Threads

  1. Sherman breakout or 66RC
    By gregz12 in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 03-07-2005, 11:52 AM
  2. 27.0 mm crown race question
    By gspot in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-10-2004, 10:43 PM
  3. MD Parks for Sale....
    By RetroG in forum Virginia, WV, Maryland, DC, Delaware
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-04-2004, 12:04 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.