Crank the Shield 2015- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Crank the Shield 2015

Crank the Shield breaks the 2-year cycle with a return in 2015!

On the heels of an unusually cold 3-day September, Crank the Shield, organizer Superfly Racing is taking a fresh look at Ontarioís ONLY Mountain Bike stage race. Though the amenities with the 3-day Crank were unparalleled, the often cold September days and need for participants to take time off work Ė not to mention the costs Ė have made that format increasingly difficult.

Looking forward to 2015, Superfly is re-working the concept, and is re-introducing CRANK as a MUCH more affordable, 2-day event set for the weekend of August 15/16. Warm days, less bugs, the BEST trails and 2/3 the CRANK for half the price are what riders can expect for CRANK 2015.
    This version will feature modified versions of days 1 and 3, using the best of what Haliburton Forest and Sir Samís Ski and Bike have to offer! The lone overnight stay features camping for the rugged at heart, or you can drop off an RV, or stay at regal Sir Samís INN down the hill! Options abound, and the latter mean your family can join in on the fun!

As always, great food and fully supported rides await, and Long and short course options mean now, more than ever, there really is something for EVERYONE at Crank the Shield!

Crank The Shield

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Like this format WAY more!
    www.abikeslife.com ontario bike stuff!

WolfPak Racing! :thumbsup:
    https://www.facebook.com/wolfpakracingcanada

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    yeah, August is WAY better!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Excellent. No conflict with Paul's this year so you will be there to smack Unglued's butt.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I will have to keep an eye on the website for when they put up the course info. Interested in approximate amount if single track through the two days and how much vertical of climbing. I have a lot of work to do between now and then to be able to do the short course but I am interested for sure!

mtbr member
    Well folks, this event is a week and half away. I know a few folks here are doing it, but am curious if there are others that are finally taking the plunge and doing it. I have done this event every year it's been alive since 2008. It's a fantastic weekend of riding and the atmosphere is great. Sure, there's no overnight in cabins now, but the feel of the race and a couple of epic days riding will make for some great story telling in the evenings. Also, the August dates will eliminate days like Stage two last year that was borderline hypothermic for some. If you're on the fence, I know a fellow that has to bail due to a tissue infection. PM me if you may want to pick up his reg at a slightly reduced rate.
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Are you camping out? Looking forward to it!

mtbr member
    Actually, no camping for this cat...Will sleep like crap as I am sure it will be a late bed time and early morning, and not so quiet. I got lucky and found an available cottage at Silver Eagle Cottage 2km down the road on Eagle Lake. So a few of us will likely ride our bikes back and forth to the evening festivities. It's going to be a blast as always!

mtbr member
    This is pretty off topic, but what is the biking like in Halliburton forest? I'm not planing on competing in crank the shield but I've booked a campsite there for next week. I'm hoping to do a lot of riding and was wondering if there are any sections of trail that anyone would recommend! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I just realized this was the last Crank The Shield, does anybody know why they aren't going to be doing it again? I really enjoyed it this year, the 2 day format in the summer was so much better in my opinion, really sad to see it go.

mtbr member
    It's pretty simple unfortunately...There just aren't high enough numbers to justify the work and cost that Sean has to put into it to run it. It was great event and most that have done it will attest to that (I was one of the folks that's done all six of them). That being said, it's also a very tough one that can be intimidating for some folks that are on the fence about doing it strictly due to the training that may be deemed to be required to complete it without hating yourself for registering.

I wouldn't be surprised if some other iteration of it arises in the next couple years with a slightly different format and/or location too. Something a little closer to home, with a little more groomed trails to ride on. Not that I, or others, don't like the raw trails that some of the course is run on, but they can knock the crap of of some mentally if they don't know what to expect.

Looking forward to a few more races to finish up the season and will miss this event too, as will others I know that have also participated.