Coping- Mtbr.com

Thread: Coping

Looking for Adventure

Coping

How is everyone doing with this unexpected weather stuck at the start of our riding season? I for one have abandoned any hope of road riding any time soon, which normally would have been in full swing for me since the beginning of April. Mountain biking seems to be O.K. in some places, but the webcam at Hardwood Hills is still showing more skiing opportunities than riding opportunities.
    http://www.hardwoodhills.ca/index.ph...=111&Itemid=57

My coping strategy has been to spend more time on my cyclocross riding local bike trails, dirt trails, and double track, and dressing in full winter spec clothing. When the weather is really nasty, I can still do a trail run. I will probably skip road riding in early May and go straight to mountain biking, as the weather does not look like it will improve much any time soon.

Apparently, Victoria BC has still not gone into full spring yet, which is truly not a good sign.
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    We've been building trails. Not so great for the cycling fitness, but remarkably good for the core!

mtbr member
    Tune the ride so it rides like butter.

namagomi
    Spring is coming, though really it's so strange these consistent weather fluctuations. My problem is being off with an injury this month so i'm not feeling that antsy about the weather per se.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampDonkeyDisco
    Tune the ride so it rides like butter.
    If I didn't already have a .sig file I adore, I think I'd consider this.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

All my faucets is Moen.
    I've only been on the bike once in the last 11 days and it feels like 2 months.
    Things aren't going well. I've been trying to juggle Habs games, being lazy, the weather and feeling like crap.

Hope to get out tonight on the road for about 90min. tonight and was hoping to get on the mountain bike on the weekend but guess what? 45k/hr winds and more rain. Guess I'll just stay in and watch the world cup Sat morning.

Evil Jr.
    In a twisted sort of way, I've been kinda grateful for all the lousy weather. Between the Bike Show, IMBA visits, the Good Friday Road Race and a silly new job, there's been NO TIME at all to ride a bike for more than an hour here or there.

My fitness level since Frost Bike's been on a steady decline but at least I'm not missing much these days!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Muskoka

Barely coping here...

the past five weekends have been brutal! I don't know how much more of this I can take!!
    Here's just a couple of pics from each of the crappy five weekends past

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...127?source=pwa

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"
    Rocky Mountain Sherpa Overland

Lemmy Rules!
    I commute to work on my bike (Oakville to downtown Toronto) 2-3 days a week. I am still using my cx bike and full winter gear but at least I am getting some riding in.
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    My cross bike has become my new best friend. Next year I'm going to make sure that I take two weeks off in April and head south.
    High on Life

All my faucets is Moen.
    Quote Originally Posted by racergurl
    My cross bike has become my new best friend. Next year I'm going to make sure that I take two weeks off in April and head south.
    Jeez, judging by BCD's post you should be heading north.
    Is that guy starting to get on anyone else's nerves with those fabtike pics? j/k

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricksom
    How is everyone doing with this unexpected weather stuck at the start of our riding season? I for one have abandoned any hope of road riding any time soon, which normally would have been in full swing for me since the beginning of April. Mountain biking seems to be O.K. in some places, but the webcam at Hardwood Hills is still showing more skiing opportunities than riding opportunities.

My coping strategy has been to spend more time on my cyclocross riding local bike trails, dirt trails, and double track, and dressing in full winter spec clothing. When the weather is really nasty, I can still do a trail run. I will probably skip road riding in early May and go straight to mountain biking, as the weather does not look like it will improve much any time soon.

Apparently, Victoria BC has still not gone into full spring yet, which is truly not a good sign.
    I have been managing okay up until the past week where a virus felled me and the weather didn't help either. Overall, I have managed about 20 plus outdoor road rides and only had to bring the bike back inside a few times.

This past week has taken it too far though. It's one thing to suffer through cooler riding temps and heavy gear thinking the light is at the end of the tunnel. But to continually get kicked in the groin the past week and half wondering WTF is going on is getting old. The mtb is tuned and ready with new shoes to boot. Any time now please...
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster
    In a twisted sort of way, I've been kinda grateful for all the lousy weather....
    Yes.... this is my reasoning for not being a little more upset about missing "possible" offroad time.

mtbr member
    I was lucky enough to get out for a good ride last Thursday evening to Halton Forest / Hiltn Falls, trails were in great shape then!
    Was going to start bike commuting to work in Oakville from Hamilton this week, but the weather has just been too crappy! Next week for sure!

mtbr member
    Yeah, I am also struggling with this pathetic weather. On top of it, I have to deal with work-related travel, which further screws up my training. I will actually have to show up at the first O-Cup cup race with zero time on the mountain bike. I hope I can at least pre-ride the course.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    Commuting.

CX bike.

Donut rides.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

Moderator Moderator
    My riding season is in full swing, the trails around these parts have been dry for weeks. Lots of riding, the only thing holding me back is this damn cold I've had for the last few days.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    In a twisted sort of way, I've been kinda grateful for all the lousy weather.
    Same here. I suffered a pretty serious injury at the beginning of the month and probably won't be on a bike for real until September. It's all temporary and things will dry up soon. I did go out and watch a little bit of P2A and felt for all you mud slingers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Doing snow rides on the local ski hill; climb the fireroad on the way up to work on my fitness a bit then carve some turns in the snow coming back down. Keeps the bike nice & clean too.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Ahh... welcome to the winter in Vancouver taster.

Wimps.

mtbr member
    After having a pretty messed up back this time last year, I've come 180 this year, feel great, even though the weather is crap, being able to ride a bike hard again this year has been motivating.

Between the ToP and P2A, and the fact that Hamilton has a fair bit of rail trail/multi-user paths, there has been some riding that isn't strictly road on the CX bike. Extra motivation given the CX is a new bike. The commute, occasional after work road ride or spinning has kept the fitness not so bad. I've logged close to 2000 km so far this year, not including spinning, so it's been descent.

But the weather is getting old. I long to ride without leg or arm warmers and on some real dirt. It's especially hard when you built up a dream MTB in the fall and have yet to dial it in on some trail (or do more than ride it up and down the street). I'm not even sure I'll be comfortable enough on it to use it during the first O-CUP and might have to use the more familiar back-up bike.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by serious
    On top of it, I have to deal with work-related travel, which further screws up my training.
    You're not alone. Sitting in airplanes, rental cars and hotel rooms two out of five days of the week (not to mention restaurant food) isn't doing much for my cardio either.

snowbound
    Jan 2005
    Dirt road rides on the cross bike, and sessions at Joyride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by thedumbopinion
    Jeez, judging by BCD's post you should be heading north.
    Is that guy starting to get on anyone else's nerves with those fabtike pics? j/k
    I have to get up there to ride this year. Looks really fun and the scenery is just gorgeous.
    High on Life

X-Ray Guy
    Well till last week i was waiting for my new bike to arrive and then the rain dampered any first ride attempts. Been busy on the night shift at work and doing some house repairs. Ordered lots of of new little toys like a new repair stand, new pedals, new wireless computer for my mountain bike and new pedals. So playing with those things has kept me busy. Working all weekend and usual easter family things will get me through this soggy weekend. I will probably just break soon and go out into a mudfest

GAME ON!
    been stopping by the LBS to talk about how shitty the weather is.

bi-winning
    I just post a lot on MTBR.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr Decade+
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    I just post a lot on MTBR.
    10,000 posts. You must be Top 10 or so.

Excellent work.

Maybe we could call you RKJiggy or RKJizzle...
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie
    10,000 posts. You must be Top 10 or so.

Excellent work.

Maybe we could call you RKJiggy or RKJizzle...
    Nope. Top 10 have 14 000+ posts.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

sock puppet

I coped successfully today riding 120km loop with

my roadie club... The winds were brutal, however, can't complain abotu harder workout...

I will cope tomorrow by riding Kelso early in the morning... Anyone interested? Plan is to watch the training runs a bit as well...

I will cope on Tuesday by pre-registering for TNFS at Albion. Then the coping continues with an O-Cup @ Mansfield preride and then the race on Sunday.

Almost feels like the season is ON.

I think...

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by racergurl
    I have to get up there to ride this year. Looks really fun and the scenery is just gorgeous.
    If you come up to ride the Barrens, get 'er done by early June latest. After that the deer flies will probably drive you crazy until late August. From late August on is primo again.
    It would not be nice to see you come all this way and not have a great time Yesterday on the Barrens...

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...127?source=pwa

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"
    Rocky Mountain Sherpa Overland

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I'm 40 km away from a new April distance record, myself.

DG

Looking for Adventure
    We all got a gift this past weekend. Hope you all took advantage of it. Palgrave is in great shape, but probably not after today.

9 lives
    We had good rides during the long weekend in Palgrave (trail work is coming along nicely) and Dufferin Forest.

Evil Jr.
    We all got a gift this past weekend. Hope you all took advantage of it.
    Heck yes I did! I was sunning myself by a lake.

In other news, listening to NPR in my rental car, I understand there's a winter storm warning for where I am right now. In late April. WTF.

mtbr member
    I got out for a quick ride in Hilton Falls on the weekend.

Crash refresher course on technical riding after about one real MTB ride in 5 months.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Ride when it's dry enough, build when it isn't, and work on my style at Joyride when it's way too wet for either.

mtbr member
    I have been dividing my time between Joyride, Trials riding on whatever is dry, and Road riding. I tore down my trail bike and cleaned everything down to the bolts, re-lubed everything and tuned it up. I am not sure I can stand riding in any mud just yet!

mtbr member
    I turned into a roadie last month Got about 1000kms in this spring on the road, and only had one quick ride in Malden. Parts of the trail there is still underwater. I'm going to wait a bit longer before more MTB rides.

Evil Jr.
    Got up early to watch the Royal Wedding this morning which cheered me up quite bit, surprisingly. They even got sun as the carriages headed back to Buckingham!

The weather's looking pretty promising for our trip to NYC this weekend. Could be warmer but I'm in no position to complain.

Saturday here looks to be shaping up nicely. Sunday, not so much.

Looking for Adventure
    Got up early to watch the Royal Wedding this morning which cheered me up quite bit, surprisingly. They even got sun as the carriages headed back to Buckingham!

The weather's looking pretty promising for our trip to NYC this weekend. Could be warmer but I'm in no position to complain.

Saturday here looks to be shaping up nicely. Sunday, not so much.
    Saturday morn Caledon Cycling Club takes over Albion and the chalet for their club ride and BBQ! People riding en mass together

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Been riding twice a week since April 9th, a mix between road and some XC/AM riding but it's been tricky with this rain and high winds. Should be good to ride almost every day from here on the next week. Next weekend the DH season officially starts for us at Bromont IF they open. One week ago the ski trails had 4-5 ft of snow so DH trails crossing was a no go plus very, very wet. May 7th opening even if it does open I'll skip it seeing I'm getting some riding in on different disciplines.

Like some wrote here, bad weather = digging.

Cheers

Evil Jr.
    Holy smackers, as of tonight, I've ridden six days in a row!

Sure hope those thunderstorms hold off long enough to sneak in another one tomorrow!

mtbr member
    with the weekend forcast we made sure we got in a 3rd ride in 4 days.
    On our wedding anniversary too, 27 yrs.
    Saw Osokolo out there teaching the kids how to ride and what kind of peddles to use
    good work.

sock puppet

congrats on the 27th anniversary...

no better way to celebrate but to enjoy a gorgeous evening ride... as a starter...

working with kids is so rewarding...

Quote Originally Posted by trailtrash
    with the weekend forcast we made sure we got in a 3rd ride in 4 days.
    On our wedding anniversary too, 27 yrs.
    Saw Osokolo out there teaching the kids how to ride and what kind of peddles to use
    good work.

Steady Creepin'
    Finally bought a road bike last weekend, I've only done a couple short loops this week (14 & 18k) and I'm working on getting used to being on the road with cars and how to ride this twitchy, skinny tired thing. Glad I did it though, opened up a whole new world, it's supposed to rain off and on in the next couple days and I don't feel like my weekend is ruined. As soon as the pavement dries up I'm going out...

Evil Jr.
    Speaking of coping, I met the most remarkable rider at our Club hill-climb last night. Anna Harkowska is a world-class para-athelete. Her left leg is made of carbon and titanium and she's super-strong!

She crushed my time up the hill (mind you I was on a 30lb Remedy with a backpack full of timing gear!) and ended up with the fastest overall time!

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by LuMach
    Finally bought a last weekend, I've only done a couple short loops this week (14 & 18k) and I'm working on getting used to being on the road with cars and how to ride this twitchy, skinny tired thing. Glad I did it though, opened up a whole new world, it's supposed to rain off and on in the next couple days and I don't feel like my weekend is ruined. As soon as the pavement dries up I'm going out...

The worst part is watching out for those tar patch ribbons and sewer grates and railway tracks and... silly little tires.

Also, why am I not surprised Osokolo is out twisting the minds of today's youth. It's bad enough on the forum!

sock puppet

simple

Quote Originally Posted by electrik

Also, why am I not surprised Osokolo is out twisting the minds of today's youth. It's bad enough on the forum!
    hmmm, says a person that is hiding his identity out of fear, caused by your thoughtless comments, and has no known friends around here...

i certainly hope that Intrawebs provides you with everything you need to stroke your ego... but remember, one day you will actually meet in person some people that you have been insulting with your comments on this board...

Steady Creepin'
    The worst part is watching out for those tar patch ribbons and sewer grates and railway tracks and... silly little tires.
    Yeah, not a fan of the sewer grates, nor that thin layer of loose sand you sometimes get on the road edges out in the country, especially when it sneaks up on me when I'm going along at a good speed. Right now I'm just working on getting more comfortable on the road, coming along well though..

Is it normal to have sore hands after a ride? I think I might be white-knuckling the hoods a bit too much..

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    hmmm, says a person that is hiding his identity out of fear, caused by your thoughtless comments, and has no known friends around here...

i certainly hope that Intrawebs provides you with everything you need to stroke your ego... but remember, one day you will actually meet in person some people that you have been insulting with your comments on this board...
    Bitter much?

namagomi

Is it normal to have sore hands after a ride? I think I might be white-knuckling the hoods a bit too much..
    No not unless it's a long ride. Too much white-knuckling is bad news, gotta stay loose or you'll get beat-up.

mtbr member
    No not unless it's a long ride. Too much white-knuckling is bad news, gotta stay loose or you'll get beat-up.
    My hands used to go numb during my rides a lot. The hoods on my dues ace 7800 shifters were too small. I picked up a new bike with the 7900 DA shifters and their hoods are much nicer. No more numbness in my hands.

I'd go to the LBS and see if they can help to make your hoods fit better!

humber river advocate
    Bitter much?
    lol
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    Finally bought a road bike last weekend, I've only done a couple short loops this week (14 & 18k) and I'm working on getting used to being on the road with cars and how to ride this twitchy, skinny tired thing. Glad I did it though, opened up a whole new world, it's supposed to rain off and on in the next couple days and I don't feel like my weekend is ruined. As soon as the pavement dries up I'm going out...
    I felt the same way when I got my road bike a few years ago.

Now I just got a taste of a cross bike and the feeling has returned. Opened up a new world of dirt roads, loose shoulders, unmaintained and fire roads, and even a little single track through the woods if you'd like and it's all on the same ride! You can go anywhere on these things and you can do it in a hurry too.

I think I'll definitely have to pick up a used one this fall.

Lemmy Rules!
    Yeah, not a fan of the sewer grates, nor that thin layer of loose sand you sometimes get on the road edges out in the country, especially when it sneaks up on me when I'm going along at a good speed. Right now I'm just working on getting more comfortable on the road, coming along well though..

I used to have the same problem. It's about posture. If your hands are sore and numb, it might be because you are putting too much weight on the bars. You have to use your core to hold your upper body in place, and only use your hands and arms to steer rather than as support. A bit of core strengthening cured this problem for me.
    Strava made me do it....

Steady Creepin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued
    I used to have the same problem. It's about posture. If your hands are sore and numb, it might be because you are putting too much weight on the bars. You have to use your core to hold your upper body in place, and only use your hands and arms to steer rather than as support. A bit of core strengthening cured this problem for me.
    That sounds about right, I do sorta rest my weight forward like that now that I think about it. Will give that a try, it's not a lot of pain I'm talking about here either, just a bit of hand stiffness. Don't think it's an issue with the hoods themselves either, the SRAM hoods really fit like a glove on me, very comfy, it's definitely a rider issue here...

thanks for the advice everyone.

namagomi
    That sounds about right, I do sorta rest my weight forward like that now that I think about it. Will give that a try, it's not a lot of pain I'm talking about here either, just a bit of hand stiffness. Don't think it's an issue with the hoods themselves either, the SRAM hoods really fit like a glove on me, very comfy, it's definitely a rider issue here...

I used to get only one finger that went numb(due to low blood flow not nerve) when I was a few hours out, my wedding ring finger actually. Man what does that mean?

Just switch up the hand positions more, it's unavoidable to have extra weight forward on the hands if you've got saddle to bar drop.

sock puppet

no...

I am just trying to help you stay out of trouble...

I suggest you get a pet... Maybe a cat... So when you feel urge to type something smart - just pet her instead... Pet her as long as you can...

Don't get any ideas at that point - she may be a cat, but she is still an animal... Just keep petting..

It may help...

Bitter much?

Evil Jr.
    I used to get only one finger that went numb(due to low blood flow not nerve) when I was a few hours out, my wedding ring finger actually. Man what does that mean?

Just switch up the hand positions more, it's unavoidable to have extra weight forward on the hands if you've got saddle to bar drop.
    Depending on the length of rides you're doing (and the topography you're facing), changing hand positions once in a while will cure this. On mild grades (up), switch to the the "flat" part of the bar nearest the stem. Riding along, generally, the hoods will be fine. Descending, get into the drops.

sock puppet

flex your elbows...

don't keep them straight...

shift hand position... i have 4 distinctly different positions...in addition to hoods, flat top part of the bar and the low handles - i also have a position between the hoods and the curve on the bar...

don't know if your bar would allow for this one - but i like it almost as much as hoods...

next issue you will face is stiff neck... to address this try to be as relaxed in your shoulders as you can... in general, try to relax the upper body as much as you can...

enjoy it...

Steady Creepin'
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    don't keep them straight...

shift hand position... i have 4 distinctly different positions...in addition to hoods, flat top part of the bar and the low handles - i also have a position between the hoods and the curve on the bar...

don't know if your bar would allow for this one - but i like it almost as much as hoods...

next issue you will face is stiff neck... to address this try to be as relaxed in your shoulders as you can... in general, try to relax the upper body as much as you can...

enjoy it...
    I'll definitely have to work on relaxing and staying loose, the whole road+skinny tires thing is all new to me, I'm sure I'm doing a lot of things that could use improvement. Gonna make a conscious effort to try those various hand positions you mention on my next ride, I think I do spend like 98% of the time on the hoods which is probably the root of the issue here.

appreciated..

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I'll definitely have to work on relaxing and staying loose, the whole road+skinny tires thing is all new to me, I'm sure I'm doing a lot of things that could use improvement. Gonna make a conscious effort to try those various hand positions you mention on my next ride..

Don't worry, it's easy - even a cave man can do it.
    Always remember - You are unique, just like everyone else.

mtbr member
    It takes a while to get relaxed if you are new to the sport. As to the sand or other crap on the road as well as sewer grates, don't ride there. I know it may be unnerving, but you have to get away from the curb. I ride out in the country and downtown Toronto and the suburbs in Mississauga. The road is crappiest at the curb. That's were stuff accumulates: stuff that can hurt your tires as well. You are allowed a reasonable amount of space from the curb. If you are at a steady distance, cars will notice and adjust. You may want to find a route with bike lanes for now or hit some really quiet areas till you get comfortable. Dealing with street car tracks, opening doors and other cyclist as well as dogs and stupid squirrels will toughen you up when you are ready for the downtown core. You could try the path on the Lakeshore. You can get a decent ride without cars; though there are roller bladers and joggers with their Ipods and they can't hear you.

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by secret agent
    It takes a while to get relaxed.
    only if you are a secret agent.

the rest is pretty accurate and good info... away from curbs and away from crap. maintaining a steady line is a key here - very good advice.

namagomi
    Gigantic puddles out there where i've not seen them for a while and it' still pouring rain.

Mosquitoes are going to be insane in a few weeks.

Steady Creepin'
    went out yesterday on the road bike, did just shy of 28k and worked on posture and mixing up hand positions.. guess what, no hand pain! Man, right on the money advice..

Looking for Adventure
    Went out on my cross bike for a local Etobicoke Creek Valley ride of paved bike path, hilly dirt, and valley gravel trails. Didn't care this time if it was raining, because....when is it NOT raining.

Got my first road rash accident. Who would have thought that paved bike trails are slippery when wet when taking tight turns on knobby cross tires! Damn you rain!!
    Cross bike looks uber cool with all that mud, scratched handlebar tape, and crooked right lever though...

Steady Creepin'
    Yeah I've been adding in some hard-packed gravel paths as part of my road rides lately, I don't know if I'm asking for trouble riding slick 700x23s on gravel, but so far so good, and actually really fun. Although, I'm certainly not looking forward to my first road/gravel rash accident, but in my mind I've already accepted that it's GOING to happen sometime so I'm not gonna worry too much about it..

bi-winning
    riding slick 700x23s on gravel
    I rode 700x20s on gravel. Never actually had any real problems. That said, I do prefer a wider tire.

Looking for Adventure
    Yeah I've been adding in some hard-packed gravel paths as part of my road rides lately, I don't know if I'm asking for trouble riding slick 700x23s on gravel, but so far so good, and actually really fun. Although, I'm certainly not looking forward to my first road/gravel rash accident, but in my mind I've already accepted that it's GOING to happen sometime so I'm not gonna worry too much about it..
    FYI
    Don't lean hard into corners with slicks on gravel....just saying

Steady Creepin'
    noted..

namagomi
    The beauty of dirt is that it don't hurt. Asphalt on the other hand really ups the impacts and abrasions.

sock puppet
    that is because you use clipless... if you use platform, you can dab and actually go faster through the corner.... are you kidding me..

Members who have read this thread: 0