Cool Weather Wear- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Cool Weather Wear

With this being my 1st year biking, I was wondering what you'd recommend for a top/jacket for fall & spring riding. I realize you should layer your clothing, but I don't know where to start. I've gotten a pair of Pearl Izumi amFIB pants & happy w/ them. I spent this weekend wearing a sweatshirt, but that's what happened. I got sweaty & was hoping I didn't get chilled.

I've bought items from MEC in the past w/ good results & would like to deal w/ them in this case if possible.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kris
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

cool

I've got a MEC coat, I forgot the name of the coat, but it's about $70 and is wind/water resistant. I got one a little looser so I can wear fleece or other clothes under.

Problem I just experienced is the difference between standing outside your house temperature and riding temperature. I go out on Monday morning with a long-sleeve biking jersey (somewhat lined) and shorts...felt like about +10. I figured with the wind chill while riding it's below 0! Layering sounds easy but where do you store the clothes (if you're riding on the road and don't like a pack for such riding)? I think I'm going to subtract 10c from the temperature when it's cold out, to adjust for wind chill, it's not like riding in temperatures of 15-20c where the wind doesn't affect temp much.

Back to the coat - I've worn it once, in the rain/wind, and it was comfortable and kept the rain out!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I forgot to mention, if you're 1st year and plan to ride in sub 0 temps, you may also need the following items:

- skull cap
    - neck gaiter(sp?)
    - booties (for over your shoes...they have cut out for cleats)
    - gloves (lobster style or regular)

Have I missed anything?

You can find these at MEC for good prices.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noonievut
    Problem I just experienced is the difference between standing outside your house temperature and riding temperature. I go out on Monday morning with a long-sleeve biking jersey (somewhat lined) and shorts...felt like about +10. I figured with the wind chill while riding it's below 0! Layering sounds easy but where do you store the clothes (if you're riding on the road and don't like a pack for such riding)? I think I'm going to subtract 10c from the temperature when it's cold out, to adjust for wind chill, it's not like riding in temperatures of 15-20c where the wind doesn't affect temp much.
    This is why I hate cooler weather trying to figure out what to wear.
    You should be cold when starting the ride but not freezing. You DO NOT want to be warm or you will be sweating and removing WET layers in about ten minutes.

Cool days: long sleeve top of varying insulation with vest. Cycling shorts under long tights or knickers. Full fingered Free ride gloves usually.
    COLD days: I have a Marmot DriClime windshirt (wind proof!) that I wear over top and then either wear a short sleeve jersey, long sleeve jeresey or R.5 patagonia top. I use everything from full fingered free ride gloves, xc skiing gloves to lobster gloves depending on the weather.
    I don't wear booties just take the insoles out of my shoes and wear mid weight socks with gortex liners.
    I wear cycling shorts under MEC climbing pants that they don't sell anymore. They have side zips down the leg for ventilation.
    I usually wear a skull cap like MEC sells and glasses can't forget glasses!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    You guys have pretty well summed things up. You can't overdress but you want to be able to strip down when it gets warmer.

When I was in Algonquin Park last Friday, it was cool in the morning, but warmed up after noon hour (but was still windy). I didn't have a pack for my stuff, so about all I could have done was stop, get out of my shorts & hide them in the bushes & pick them up on the way back.

Today after 4 PM, I went for a ride along the Waterfront Trail from Oshawa Harbour to the foot of Courtice Rd. & back. (I saw a few riders heading north on Courtice as I approached the South Service Rd.) It was a bit on the cool & breezy side. I went commando under the tights today & didn't feel any ill effects down below. Just looking for a top that is wind proof & will wick the sweat away.

You don't have to worry about me going biking when it gets below freezing. When that happens, the bike will be put away & I'll have my snowmobile out in the snow.

Kris
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

mtbr member
    I've bike commuted all winter the last 2 years, it's amazing how warm you can stay while you're riding.

I have a Louis Garneau Spotlite jacket, cost me $180 at the local bike shop, but it was well worth it. It is windproof/waterproof/breathable and has lots of venting, arm pit zips, a big vent in the back and adjustable cuffs on the sleeves. The pit zips are the big thing, I'd make sure the jacket you buy has them. This jacket is a little heavy for this time of year, but with the venting opened up, I don't overheat at all in it. I wear the jacket when the temp is around +12 or lower, above +12 I just wear a long sleeve polyester sweatshirt.

The other thing is, stay away from cotton shirts underneath your jacket. Polyester is great for wicking sweat away from you, cotton just gets wet and cold.

I just wear lined nylon or Gore-Tex track pants over my bike shorts when it's colder, if it gets too warm, just roll 'em up and stuff 'em under the seat.

The wind is a big factor in how cold you're going to be. Riding in the woods is usually a lot warmer than out in the open.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by langford
    The other thing is, stay away from cotton shirts underneath your jacket. Polyester is great for wicking sweat away from you, cotton just gets wet and cold.
    I had made ths assumption that people on here didn't need to be told not to wear cotton.
    Remember folks: cotton kills!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Speaking of cotton, those are the only warm socks I have right now. Last week when I rode in near freezing temperatures, I used my regular cycling socks (my feet were cold). Can anyone recommend a relatively thin, yet warm pair of non-cotton socks (from MEC is fine).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noonievut
    Speaking of cotton, those are the only warm socks I have right now. Last week when I rode in near freezing temperatures, I used my regular cycling socks (my feet were cold). Can anyone recommend a relatively thin, yet warm pair of non-cotton socks (from MEC is fine).
    I wear these

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1097697580527

with insoles removed from my shoes. In the winter I put gortex socks over those socks and I'm fine.

I would like to try these

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1097697757204

I am considering getting a pair of outside booties and a "heavier" cycling sock and seeing how that feels. Woolie Boolie socks from MEC perhaps or something synthetic that is the same weight. I think the socks I haven't tried yet above may be an option.

Jun 2004
    anyone tried the sugoi subzero arm/leg warmers? my LBS has some and I was looking to pick some up...

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
    My favourite jacket when the weather turns cool is the Flashpoint Jacket from MEC. I've had it for years and it still looks brand new.

It's not waterproof, but it does block the wind, wicks sweat with the Coolmax liner, and has pit zips for ventilation.

I have ridden in some pretty heavy rain, and as long as you keep moving, the heat that your body generates pushes almost all the moisture back out. And it dries really fast.

I just noticed that it's been marked down from $79 to $49 on the web site.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp;jsessionid=Btj1FniIn4Z4DpW4KRia O91mvcfkT7oVNqCE4tZjDZqxXpVZlaPr!696423659!1709189 43!2003!7002?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=675623&PRODUCT% 3C%3Eprd_id=738927&bmUID=1097704439176

As for socks, I like the Wigwam Merino wool light hikers that MEC sells. Provides decent insulation without the itchiness of regular wool.

Mike

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!

Oops!!!

Seems that the link I included for the jacket goes absolutely nowhere.

Try this.....

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1097704439176

Mike

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Now that I've got some good ideas about socks, how about gloves?

I have both half-finger and full-finger gloves. I'll wear the full-finger on cooler days, but will need something on colder days. I need new gloves anyway for xcountry & downhill skiing, would these be fine on the bike (I may only bike 10 times in really cold weather)? I don't want to spend $30+ on those lobster gloves if I won't use them too often.

mtbr member
    If you wanna go cheap, try the neoprene gloves from Wal-Mart, they're about $14 and good to about freezing. Sizing is a little on the small side, though.
    I have a pair of Euclair (made by Paris Glove Co.) lobster mitts, I think they're great, they keep me warm to about -15 C or so. I think they only cost me around $25

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    for socks why not try the thinner ski socks you'd wear inside ski boots
    Skiis &Biikes had some nice Reusch ski gloves at the sale last weekend here in Collingwood and i notice now they are taking them all to the ski show at the CNE on the weekend so thats an option too.

Looking for Adventure

Some points to reinforce

- Keep head warm with skull cap or helmet cover.
    - Keep hands warm with freeride or cross-country ski type gloves (you can also buy cycling specific warm gloves).
    - Keep feet warm with thermal type socks, or cycling shoe covers, or hiking boats.
    - Keep body warm with thermal, wicking under-shirt (most important), and some kind of fleece or thermal long sleeve jersey over top (covering your neck).
    - Keep eyes warm with glasses

Jackets, while important, do not need to be too particular. Make sure it is wind resistant and breathable, and protects your neck.

The MEC folks are pretty helpful in picking out specific items for you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I noticed the MEC flashpoint jacked mentioned above at MEC today in the clearance section. It's the same beige colour, I think they have two medium's left (sorry, forgot the price, but it's at a discount). 2nd floor, back left section, by the thermal underwear.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I picked up a couple of pairs of DeFeet's Un-D-Shurt (tank top) & MEC's PowerDry wind briefs last week. I'm hoping to try them out this week.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada