Commuters: need your advice- Mtbr.com
    Hardtail Freak

Commuters: need your advice

Hi Guys,

So as the mileage increases for both road riding and mountain biking, the need to cycle to work rises each week. I have been logging about 100-150kms in mileage each week, on the weekend out in the country roads of Milton / Burlington / Waterdown including offroad mileage after work in the evenings.

I am going to bite the bullet and cycle to work 40kms to work each way. Here is my route.

Would you say Derry and / or Steeles is unsafe to cycle? Has anyone taken any of these roads through Brampton and had any dangerous experiences with it? I realize that dangerous experiences can happen anywhere (esp. downtown Toronto).

I've driven through this area when not on 407 or 401 and have rarely seen any cyclists on this route. Just wanted to get your opinion from fellow cyclists.
    2018 Stanton Slackline 853
    2016 Norco Torrent 7.1
    Gone - 2000 Marin Indian Fire Trail
    Gone - 2001 Brodie Holeshot

sock puppet

Your route looks fine to me

however, no one can tell you that you will be fine riding this route over another route. Crap can happen anywhere and anytime. What you must do, regardless of the route, is develop a defensive riding routine, with bail out lines and ample of space that you can use if you need to. Take care of the things that are under your control, to mitigate risks. Develop as many routines as necessary, to protect yourself from the traffic. It is hard to call ANY road/street safe for cycling, however, we are entitled to our share of any road/street and use it responsibly.

We use Derry often, coming back from Milton area - heading to Toronto south... Risk level is about average.

If your workplace is bike commuting friendly - this is a great way to keep in shape.

Good luck and enjoy it...

Quote Originally Posted by brodie_rider View Post
    Hi Guys,

So as the mileage increases for both road riding and mountain biking, the need to cycle to work rises each week. I have been logging about 100-150kms in mileage each week, on the weekend out in the country roads of Milton / Burlington / Waterdown including offroad mileage after work in the evenings.

I am going to bite the bullet and cycle to work 40kms to work each way. Here is my route.

Would you say Derry and / or Steeles is unsafe to cycle? Has anyone taken any of these roads through Brampton and had any dangerous experiences with it? I realize that dangerous experiences can happen anywhere (esp. downtown Toronto).

I've driven through this area when not on 407 or 401 and have rarely seen any cyclists on this route. Just wanted to get your opinion from fellow cyclists.

Hardtail Freak
    Thanks for the tips! I certainly will do my share and be safe (bike lights, reflective clothing, helmet, aware of surroundings etc.).

I am lucky that work has showers and a gym to store my bike, so that definitely helps.
    2016 Norco Torrent 7.1

Evil Jr.
    I've never ridden on that section of Steeles during rush-hour but I can see it from the 407 and it looks like it can get pretty busy. Does it have decent shoulders?

I have a customer at Steeles and Goreway and I know there's a lot of heavy-truck traffic along there. (Plus there's a truck-driving school at Finch.)
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

namagomi
    Yes... derry and steeles are AWFUL to ride across... heavy truck traffic moving at 80km/h, shitheads in white vans on cellphones, potholes and gaping utility cuts everywhere.

It's sidewalk time.

I'll check out your map later, until then don't ride those roads.

namagomi
    MAP

Okay, follow the way-points and ignore the route google maps planned for this.

B -> C Cut through clairville park(gravel), sneak out onto intermodal drive(clairville rd stay east and go over the old bridge then through a small path to intermodal)... this is the worst part, there is a LOT of container traffic coming outta the CN yard.

At torbram and balmoral make your left by going right and u-turning.

Stay on orenda.

D -> E Up and over the railway over-pass out through the school yard onto ardglen.. you could have also taken Clarence across... but I picked orenda, both are busy but not as bad as steeles.

F -> G onto the MUP trail, follow this south for a while.

G -> H Pass the courthouse, wave hello to bryon sonne. Don't run stop signs near here!

H-> Another easy stretch on MUP.

H-> ?? Pick your own route, you're through the most congested/dangerous area.

Mississauga map

C->F is probably the worst part... there are a lot of trucks... don't pass them on the right at lights.

Getting across the 407 is also awful, better to pick a crossing with no on/off ramps.

Relax and wear something really visible, watch the setting/rising sun blinding people as you're heading mostly east/west in sync with it, i won't make you wear a helmet mirror though!
    Last edited by electrik; 05-30-2011 at 06:51 PM.

mtbr member
    The stretch of Derry Rd between Milton up to about Mavis Rd is all good. As you start getting closer to Tomken, and then Dixie it becomes a No Mans land for cyclists. Tons of heavy trucks and speeding traffic. Steeles Ave through Brampton is a suicide. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    I would also reccommend wearing one of those safety reflective vests that road workers use, it will make you much more visible.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Derry Rd anywhere near the airport is a kill zone, I feel 10 times safer riding in downtown Toronto traffic than I did the one time I rode that stretch of Derry Rd. Giant dumptrucks whizzing by at a good 90km/h kicking up rocks with gravel and soil flying off the back? Yeah, no thanks, might as well play Russian Roulette.

mtbr member
    Would going a little south and using Brittannia Rd. be better? I know in Halton I'd rather ride on Brittannia than Steeles, dunno how it gets in Peel, Brittannia maybe a little less industrial than Steeles or Derry.
    Or, since you're heading north of Steeles anyways, why not ride 5 sideroad or 10 sideroad across? Both far better than Steeles or Derry in Halton, not sure how they are in Peel.

40km each way is a long commute! You'\ll want some half decent rain gear too Warm rain isn't a problem - once you're wet, you're wet - it's the cold stuff you have to prepare for. Have you got a rack to carry stuff on? I'm not a big fan of backpacks, I use a messenger bag and a rack bag to carry stuff.

Try driving different routes with an eye to how it would be to ride.

Hardtail Freak
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    MAP

Okay, follow the way-points and ignore the route google maps planned for this.

B -> C Cut through clairville park(gravel), sneak out onto intermodal drive(clairville rd stay east and go over the old bridge then through a small path to intermodal)... this is the worst part, there is a LOT of container traffic coming outta the CN yard.

At torbram and balmoral make your left by going right and u-turning.

Stay on orenda.

D -> E Up and over the railway over-pass out through the school yard onto ardglen.. you could have also taken Clarence across... but I picked orenda, both are busy but not as bad as steeles.

F -> G onto the MUP trail, follow this south for a while.

G -> H Pass the courthouse, wave hello to bryon sonne. Don't run stop signs near here!

H-> Another easy stretch on MUP.

H-> ?? Pick your own route, you're through the most congested/dangerous area.

Mississauga map

C->F is probably the worst part... there are a lot of trucks... don't pass them on the right at lights.

Getting across the 407 is also awful, better to pick a crossing with no on/off ramps.

Relax and wear something really visible, watch the setting/rising sun blinding people as you're heading mostly east/west in sync with it, i won't make you wear a helmet mirror though!
    Wow, thanks for the time in making a route out for me! Looks a LOT safer than Steeles in the Brampton area. I'll definitely give this a shot. I've printed out a concise version of directions that will be easier to follow than the Google Map version.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfchild View Post
    The stretch of Derry Rd between Milton up to about Mavis Rd is all good. As you start getting closer to Tomken, and then Dixie it becomes a No Mans land for cyclists. Tons of heavy trucks and speeding traffic. Steeles Ave through Brampton is a suicide. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    I would also reccommend wearing one of those safety reflective vests that road workers use, it will make you much more visible.
    Thanks for the insight. I have a very bright fluorescent yellow/green jersey, with a white and red helmet, red flashing seatpost rear light, reflective saddle bag, reflective knickers and shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    Derry Rd anywhere near the airport is a kill zone, I feel 10 times safer riding in downtown Toronto traffic than I did the one time I rode that stretch of Derry Rd. Giant dumptrucks whizzing by at a good 90km/h kicking up rocks with gravel and soil flying off the back? Yeah, no thanks, might as well play Russian Roulette.
    Yeah I realize that route isn't the smartest. But I will give electric's route a good go!

Quote Originally Posted by langford View Post
    Would going a little south and using Brittannia Rd. be better? I know in Halton I'd rather ride on Brittannia than Steeles, dunno how it gets in Peel, Brittannia maybe a little less industrial than Steeles or Derry.
    Or, since you're heading north of Steeles anyways, why not ride 5 sideroad or 10 sideroad across? Both far better than Steeles or Derry in Halton, not sure how they are in Peel.

40km each way is a long commute! You'\ll want some half decent rain gear too Warm rain isn't a problem - once you're wet, you're wet - it's the cold stuff you have to prepare for. Have you got a rack to carry stuff on? I'm not a big fan of backpacks, I use a messenger bag and a rack bag to carry stuff.

Try driving different routes with an eye to how it would be to ride.
    I can't seem to find 5 / 10 sideroad…if that is a nice country road the whole way that would be a better option. Today my wife dropped me off at work, and I'll ride home tonight. First time commuting from work so I wanted to keep it simple at first before getting really into it.

Tonight's weather doesn't call for rain, so I'll just have to luck it out as I just have an Arc'teryx pack holding my essentials. I don't have a rack on my bike, it's basically my Marin Indian Fire Trail (see sig) but with 42T chainring, and 700C custom road wheels with 25mm touring tires at 90psi.
    2016 Norco Torrent 7.1

Evil Jr.
    That new route does look a lot safer but it does seem to bump your ride up over 50km. Good luck and bring lots of water!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Hardtail Freak
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    That new route does look a lot safer but it does seem to bump your ride up over 50km. Good luck and bring lots of water!
    Yeah Good thing I did a hard 55km out in the Halton Hills on Saturday...really prepared me for the distances. I'm also riding the 75km Becel Ride for Heart this Sunday. I've got two bottles of Infinit Nutrition with me today, I'll probably have to bring a 3rd bottle of water just to be safe with today's heat!

2016 Norco Torrent 7.1

sproket buster
    Oct 2007
    Good luck to you!!! and I mean it in a positive way. I work at Sears on Hwy 50, and live in Port Credit considerd the commute but working 6am to 2pm discouraged me from commuting. Let us know how does it work for you.

BTW with Steels across Brampton would be a death wish at best. I drive that streach on business and no way should a bike be on it.
    Live to ride, ride to live... out of Mississauga.

MTB: Cannondale HT--------Pavment: Specialized Sirrus

Hardtail Freak
    Quote Originally Posted by fizol View Post
    Good luck to you!!! and I mean it in a positive way. I work at Sears on Hwy 50, and live in Port Credit considerd the commute but working 6am to 2pm discouraged me from commuting. Let us know how does it work for you.

BTW with Steels across Brampton would be a death wish at best. I drive that streach on business and no way should a bike be on it.
    Thanks! I love you guys, with the encouragement and all. I feel like I am carrying a torch for everyone

Sears off Hwy 50 is close to my work. I'll report back tonight about how the commute went.
    2016 Norco Torrent 7.1

Hardtail Freak
    Thanks! I love you guys, with the encouragement and all. I feel like I am carrying a torch for everyone

Sears off Hwy 50 is close to my work. I'll report back tonight about how the commute went.
    Made it home in 3 hours! The heat and humidity didn't bother me as much as I had thought. Riding through Claireville was a swamp at times! Apparently someone was filming a movie there, with a cop on paid duty. I convinced him to let me pass with an "or else". Haha, kidding. He saw the hurt face and said "good luck".

Anyways, riding through Brampton was slightly confusing with all the turns, but I found my way nonetheless. Things only got hard when I passed Mississauga and started heading into Milton along Derry, against a nasty headwind the whole way.

Here are the stats: http://runkeeper.com/user/sleepravnt/activity/37622483
    2016 Norco Torrent 7.1

namagomi
    Made it home in 3 hours! The heat and humidity didn't bother me as much as I had thought. Riding through Claireville was a swamp at times! Apparently someone was filming a movie there, with a cop on paid duty. I convinced him to let me pass with an "or else". Haha, kidding. He saw the hurt face and said "good luck".

Anyways, riding through Brampton was slightly confusing with all the turns, but I found my way nonetheless. Things only got hard when I passed Mississauga and started heading into Milton along Derry, against a nasty headwind the whole way.

Here are the stats: http://runkeeper.com/user/sleepravnt/activity/37622483
    Well done my minion!

Sorry about claireville(notice you also got turned around there), usually it's dry and a nice break from traffic... what were they filming there?

I also notice you took clarence, fyi, if you stay on orenda rd to orenda ct where it ends and take the rail over-pass then over(or you can follow Clarence further along also) to the Etobicoke creek(I think) pathway south it's a bit easier, no stop signs or confusing road crossings(all underpasses) and it takes you down to a neighbourhood by county-court house. It's how I figured a way across b-town... up to you, but doing it in this heat probably sucked! If it helps, there is a dairy queen on queen st and centre.
    Last edited by electrik; 05-31-2011 at 06:49 PM.

mtbr member
    While I usually ride on the main arterial roads on unfamiliar routes, I also have a ridiculous number of run-ins with overtaking motorists. The route prescribed seems a lot better than Steeles, hope it works out.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

Evil Jr.
    Made it home in 3 hours!
    Well done!

How often are you planning on doing that commute? If it's 3 hours each way, that would take a serious bite out of most peoples' days.

Hardtail Freak
    Well done my minion!

Sorry about claireville(notice you also got turned around there), usually it's dry and a nice break from traffic... what were they filming there?

I also notice you took clarence, fyi, if you stay on orenda rd to orenda ct where it ends and take the rail over-pass then over(or you can follow Clarence further along also) to the Etobicoke creek(I think) pathway south it's a bit easier, no stop signs or confusing road crossings(all underpasses) and it takes you down to a neighbourhood by county-court house. It's how I figured a way across b-town... up to you, but doing it in this heat probably sucked! If it helps, there is a dairy queen on queen st and centre.
    Hah! Yeah, I was like "lolwut" when I was trying to find Intermodal. I got to Finch & Steeles and thought "something is not right", so I turned around a couple times. I rode around some big distribution center looking for Intermodal, then finally found it. I took Clarence because I thought it was simpler. I had to memorize all these turns! Well, and have a cuecard in my jersey pocket for when things got unfamiliar.

I actually don't know what they were filming, I didn't bother asking.

Well done!

How often are you planning on doing that commute? If it's 3 hours each way, that would take a serious bite out of most peoples' days.
    Yeah....I don't think I'll be doing it that often. Maybe once a week?
    2016 Norco Torrent 7.1

mtbr member
    Congrats on the ride. I know the area well as I am in industrial sales and there is lots of industry there.Derry and Steeles are horrible east of Mavis. Instead of going all the way door to door once a week, you might want to consider parking your car somewhere strategic halfway and do the commute a couple of times a week instead. This could allow you to pick a better route. I know one guy in Milton that parks his car 20 k from his job in the east end of Misssissauga. I know he goes along Derry till Mavis Road and meanders down to Courtney Park, but I am not sure how he goes from there. I think this would put you too far south. You could do something similar and go north of your route and then come down a bit. This might give you some good options. I wish I could ride in to work, but I need to go out on the road and visit different locations more often than not.

Hardtail Freak
    That's a great idea secret agent, thanks!
    2016 Norco Torrent 7.1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by secret agent View Post
    I wish I could ride in to work, but I need to go out on the road and visit different locations more often than not.
    Company car. Begin the lobby effort.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    Company car. Begin the lobby effort.
    Not even, many places provide a rental if only due to the insurance issue - be warned if you crash YOUR car while "driving for the company" it's on your head, there will be no workers comp.

Evil Jr.
    Not even, many places provide a rental if only due to the insurance issue - be warned if you crash YOUR car while "driving for the company" it's on your head, there will be no workers comp.
    Different companies have different policies. For us, company cars and rentals are treated the same way. However, Mrs. Monster collects double on my company life policy if I die while traveling on business... (What, me worry?)

mtbr member
    Different companies have different policies.
    Word. Our cars are under company insurance. It's a massive benefit to ride to work and still have cars to buzz around in if needed, worth thousands of bucks a year IMO.

mtbr member
    It's not just the car. We don't have showers at our place, and I need to dress well enough to meet with purchasing agents, senior engineering people and the like. I would need to keep a decent sized wardrobe and shoes. Not all jobs lend themselves to riding in to work. I also take a lap top home now and then. We are a project heavy and we can't predict when things will fire up. As to the car, the company is not that large, but I get well compensated for the use of my vehicle. With another firm, I had a company car, but I drove it home. It would not solve the issue and the company car would not have a hitch mount rack. I prefer to do my rides in the evenings during the week. If I liked morning riding, I would get up early and do the ride before I went to work. Time wise it would not make that much of a difference.

namagomi
    It's not just the car. We don't have showers at our place, and I need to dress well enough to meet with purchasing agents, senior engineering people and the like. I would need to keep a decent sized wardrobe and shoes. Not all jobs lend themselves to riding in to work. I also take a lap top home now and then.
    If you ever want to try it:

For the hot days

For your wardrobe

You can carry a laptop in any sort of standard bicycle pannier!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    If you ever want to try it:

For the hot days

For your wardrobe

You can carry a laptop in any sort of standard bicycle pannier!
    For me, bike commuting and clothes have never been an issue.

Being employed as I am, I often have to wear quite fancy clothes. I leave my jackets and shoes at work (I don't like the bulk, but I could, and sometimes do, carry them back and forth) and bring the rest of my day's clothes in one of these: http://www.eaglecreek.com/packing_so...cking_folders/.

The shirt folder fits in a backpack or a messenger bag. Leaves everything lawyerly fresh and wrinkle-free.

Hardtail Freak
    It's not just the car. We don't have showers at our place, and I need to dress well enough to meet with purchasing agents, senior engineering people and the like. I would need to keep a decent sized wardrobe and shoes. Not all jobs lend themselves to riding in to work. I also take a lap top home now and then. We are a project heavy and we can't predict when things will fire up. As to the car, the company is not that large, but I get well compensated for the use of my vehicle. With another firm, I had a company car, but I drove it home. It would not solve the issue and the company car would not have a hitch mount rack. I prefer to do my rides in the evenings during the week. If I liked morning riding, I would get up early and do the ride before I went to work. Time wise it would not make that much of a difference.
    I guess I'm lucky that my work has showers and a gym.
    2016 Norco Torrent 7.1

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I kinda miss my old 6 minute bike commute. It was flat and I had one sweet little jump on it.

Current bike commute is about 6 minutes all downhill on the way to work and about 18 minutes of all climbing to get home.

I don't envy your commute brodie_rider, but huge props for attempting it.

mtbr member
    I keep a varied wardrobe and dress shoes, steel toed boots, etc at the office.

I carry my laptop in my backpack riding Catalyst on the way home. No joke.

My old office had a full-service bike parking locker room in the basement and a shower.

But with the new commute below 10 km and mostly downwind and downhill in the morning, it hardly seems necessary.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Mine is 5 km straight down Sheppard - Younge to Downsview.

I use the Big Dummy so carrying kit isn't a problem - but 65lbs of bike is not a lot of fun on hills. Helps to build those massive guads though.

At ~ 12 min each way, it is almost too short.

DG

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I wish mine was short enough I could take any of my bikes and throw in some trail riding along the way. I ride (not every day) 32km each way from Pickering to York Mills.

Best time to date is 54 minutes heading home in last Wednesdays huge Westerly wind

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

classic mtn bike for sale

Hi guys, I'm new at this posting thing so bear with me. I have a seimans mobile cannondale mtn bike I'd like to sell and I have no idea what it might be worth. can you help me out?

mtbr member
    Hey Smarty: Those are some awesome options. I have about 26 km each way if I wanted to do a ride to work. I could rinse off pretty well in a sink and so on, if needed. I have a couple of mountain bikes and a carbon road bike. I would not be willing to put panniers on any of these. If I really wanted to, I could make a ride to work possible. At this distance, in traffic, it would be about an hour and a bit worth of riding. To avoid all the preparation, I would rather get up an hour or so early and do a ride before I go in. I also bring my food, my own water (I have an RO filtering system) every day. I make my own coffee, tea and also for drinking all day. It means 2 liters per day. Ultimately, the need for a car trumps all this for a regular commute. I did ride in on Friday when I knew I was not going anywhere. It meant bringing clothes the day before and extra water. I also brought lunch for the following day ahead of time. If you really want, you can make just about anything work out, but for me it's too much effort that I would rather put into a ride.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by RecceDG View Post
    I use the Big Dummy so carrying kit isn't a problem - but 65lbs of bike is not a lot of fun on hills. Helps to build those massive guads though.
    Athough I'm not using for commuting (I'm either working from home or somewhere in the US), life with the Kona Ute is going great. I've been using it for groceries, trail building and all sorts of general errands. I even have access to the bike cage at City Hall. Such a great way to get around town if you can plan for slightly longer travel times!

Lemmy Rules!
    Hey Smarty: Those are some awesome options. I have about 26 km each way if I wanted to do a ride to work. I could rinse off pretty well in a sink and so on, if needed. I have a couple of mountain bikes and a carbon road bike. I would not be willing to put panniers on any of these. If I really wanted to, I could make a ride to work possible. At this distance, in traffic, it would be about an hour and a bit worth of riding. To avoid all the preparation, I would rather get up an hour or so early and do a ride before I go in. I also bring my food, my own water (I have an RO filtering system) every day. I make my own coffee, tea and also for drinking all day. It means 2 liters per day. Ultimately, the need for a car trumps all this for a regular commute. I did ride in on Friday when I knew I was not going anywhere. It meant bringing clothes the day before and extra water. I also brought lunch for the following day ahead of time. If you really want, you can make just about anything work out, but for me it's too much effort that I would rather put into a ride.
    Like Smarty, I have to look respectable at work. I ride in from Oakville 3-4 days a week to downtown Toronto (about 80km round trip). It takes me about 10 minutes longer to ride that to drive or take the GO train, but I arrive in a lot better frame of mind when I ride, so it is worth the time.

I bring in clothes for riding days on one of the two days I do not ride. I don't have showers at my office, but find unscented baby wipes and deodorant do the job unless it is completely oppressively hot. I also sneak by bike (I ride either my road bike or cyclocross bike to work) up to the office in the freight elevator, so security is not an issue.

The first few times I did this, it was a bit of an adjustment, but riding to work is now part of my routine from March to early November. I encourage you to try it - for me it's like stealing back 2 hours a day that I would otherwise spend sitting in my car in traffic or on the GO train.

That said, I may potentially be starting a new job at Hwy 27 and Rexdale in the next few months. One of the considerations taking the job is the ability to ride there. Distance-wise it is about the same as what I am riding now, but I can't see any safe way of getting there. If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it.
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    That said, I may potentially be starting a new job at Hwy 27 and Rexdale in the next few months. One of the considerations taking the job is the ability to ride there. Distance-wise it is about the same as what I am riding now, but I can't see any safe way of getting there. If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it.
    The best way I can think of is going north on Renforth Drive until you get to Carlingview Drive, then make a left and go north on Carlingview until you get to the back entrance of Woodbine Racetrack. Use the racetrack's roads to continue north as far as you need then cut across 27 or Rexdale to get to your workplace. The stretch between Eglinton and Dixon road can be pretty bad at times, but it beats the other routes I can think of.

Lemmy Rules!
    The best way I can think of is going north on Renforth Drive until you get to Carlingview Drive, then make a left and go north on Carlingview until you get to the back entrance of Woodbine Racetrack. Use the racetrack's roads to continue north as far as you need then cut across 27 or Rexdale to get to your workplace. The stretch between Eglinton and Dixon road can be pretty bad at times, but it beats the other routes I can think of.
    Thanks, Aerius
    Strava made me do it....

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    You're coming from downtown or oakville? If oakville I can ask around, there was one person I know who actually does that. If leaving from downtown it's pretty easy, one can take bikelanes/path almost the whole way.

Aerius is right about cutting through woodbine, but the back route closer to 427 there is just horrible condition last time I passed through so go around to the east.

Evil Jr.
    Most of Renforth is really safe too since there are so many schools and churches in the area, a lot of it has a 40km/h speed limit which is VERY strictly enforced.

Lemmy Rules!
    Most of Renforth is really safe too since there are so many schools and churches in the area, a lot of it has a 40km/h speed limit which is VERY strictly enforced.

So I guess I will have to watch my speed, eh?
    Strava made me do it....

Lemmy Rules!
    I'm coming from Oakville. Right now the plan is to take the waterfront trail as far east as Brown's Line, then head north to West Mall until I can pick up Renforth. It'll be about 37km, which is about the length of my commute now.
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    There's a better path north from the waterfront trail. There's a biking path/walkway on the east side of Etobicoke Creek that runs all the way from the waterfront up to a residential street that's just south of Evans Ave. Those streets pop out on Evans just east of the QEW, from there take the West Mall to Bloor then Renforth all the way up to Carlingview.

If you have a cyclocross or mountain bike you can continue following Etobicoke Creek as it goes under the QEW bridge, cut through a park that looks like a former motorcross area and end up just off the West Mall. The paved path goes to a residential street but there's a dirt path that continues under the bridge to join more dirt trails on the other side. If you use the satellite view mode on Google Maps and zoom in a bit you can see all the stuff I just mentioned.

namagomi
    Brodie_rider - don't know if you saw or heard about this... cyclist-run-over-by-grader

mtbr member
    I'm in a different area of Steeles. it's crazy fast with big trucks.
    I make a point of avoiding heavy areas when I can.