Coming to PEI last week in June - Riding?- Mtbr.com
    Back on the wagon

Coming to PEI last week in June - Riding?

I'll be making my first trek up to PEI this June/July with the family. We'll be staying in the Point Prim area. What type of riding is available in that area? I'll be driving up from New Hampshire, and have no idea what to bring for a bike. From doing a little google searching, it looks like the cross bike might be the best option, with lots of dirt roads style stuff. Then again, the singletrack isn't usually readily found via Google

Should I bring the mountain bike or the cross bike? If anyone is willing to give me a MTB tour of some local trails, I'd be more than happy to supply the beer

Thanks!

Jason
    Last edited by PutAwayWet; 02-22-2011 at 07:35 PM.
    RIDE HARD, live easy.

mtbr member
    While this forum is for all 'eastern' canucks, it's primarily occupied by Ontario folks.

You can catch the pulse of East Coast cycling through

http://www.pedaltrout.com/

http://www.cogeyed.com/

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    There's a bunch of singletrack at Brookfield, the ski "hill" just to the southeast of Hunter River. It's a typical "singletrack on an XC course" sort of layout, where you can ride the doubletrack that is the XC trails, or singletrack that cuts between them.

There's some good elevation change there and some of the trails are pretty gnarly.

DG

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Dup.

mtbr member

Pictou, Nova Scotia PEI Ferry

There is some awesome riding just outside of Pictou, Nova Scotia whcih is where you take the ferry to PEI, it's called Fitzpatrick Mountain and there is some climbing but lots of downhill it really is an awesome trail system check it out http://www.mtbiking.ca/fitzpatrick.html

trail gnome
    There are some trails in Bonshaw. Technical XC; not lots of rocks, but lots of mud & roots. The network use to be pretty extensive when I lived there (15 yrs ago); now I read it's been reduced to 6 miles. You might have some trouble finding the trailhead. You might try contacting McQueen's bike shop in Charlottetown: http://www.macqueens.com/. I use to ride with the owner's son. They might be able to give directions, hook you up with local riders, or know of other trails to ride.

I think RecceDG meant Brookvale ski hill, not Brookfield. There is some trail there, but I haven't ridden it. The Canadian Singlespeed Championships were held there last year: http://www.2010cssc.com/

Neither location is easy to get to from Point Prim. You'll need to drive all the way around the harbour and through Charlottetown to get to either place; about an hour each way I'm guessing.

There are lots and lots of dirt roads and rural paved roads around, plus the rails-to-trails network; a cross bike might be a good idea.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I would second that notion as far PEI is concerned. The rural roads are relatively quiet and coming from Toronto, I was very pleasantly surprised at how courteous the local drivers were. We had road bikes and even rode some of the rail trail sections, but the cross bike would be ideal.

mtbr member

Bring your cross bike!

I will 3rd the previous post and suggest bringing the cross bike.

I am right by Point Prim every summer (in Pinette) - and the last thing I want to do when I get there is get in the car and drive anywhere! Instead I explore the dirt roads and Trans Canada Trail on my cross bike. There are a few nice loops in the area if you connect some of the "Heritage Roads" with the bike paths. It is not mountain biking but it is great cycling.

I do like the suggestion to check out the Pictou trails in NS - Wood Island ferry is only about 12 miles from Point Prim. I have also always wanted to do the Across the Highlands Challenge in Cape Breton http://velocapebreton.ca/?q=highlands_challenge

I have done the biking for breakfast ride across PEI - there was a head wind the whole way and it rained - but was well supported and is a good time if you are there when it is held.

It would be fun to do the entire Trans Canada Trail across the island in one day. However my next goal is to ride all the way to PEI from Vermont on the Trans Canada Trail (via the Tomifobia Trail) I have done a few hundred miles of it... photos here:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/parisbr...nsCanadaTrail#

Back on the wagon
    Thanks for all the info, guys! I might check out the ferry / NS riding. Who knows when I'll be up there again? I'll plan on bringing the cross bike, and if I can convince my wife I'll bring the MTB too
    RIDE HARD, live easy.

mtbr member

photos of PEI dirt

mtbr member
    I'll be heading to PEI this summer as well. I wil be flying a bike up.

Looking to ride all over, and would like the 411

Economy Stimulator
    Sep 2004
    I've been attending PEI biannually for the last half decade as that is where the "inlaws" reside. I only ever bring my road bike, as there really isn't much, brookfield aside, that you can't clear on a cross bike. The rural back roads on a cross bike would be great! If your looking for mtb, sadly PEI isn't your best bet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by teebor76xc
    I've been attending PEI biannually for the last half decade as that is where the "inlaws" reside. I only ever bring my road bike, as there really isn't much, brookfield aside, that you can't clear on a cross bike. The rural back roads on a cross bike would be great! If your looking for mtb, sadly PEI isn't your best bet.

Heck, dirt roads are fine. My G/F grew up there, and says there are rails-to-trails all over.

I just need to get in some long rides to keep my engine running for stuff coming up late summer/early fall

/

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've been spending a few weeks each summer on the North Cape side of the island and yeah, road bike is all I ever bring. It's beautiful on that side, very little traffic and really nice roads along the shore, but nothing in the way of mountain biking. The Confederation Trail is the biggest rail trail on the island and can take you from end to end if you have the time for it. I've ridden 20 mile sections of it on a drop bar road bike with 110psi in the tires and not had an issue, but a cross bike would be magic up there.

I would love to ride the confederation trail from end to end one of these days, but my time up there is to short and filled with music, friends, and beer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by econymous View Post

I would love to ride the confederation trail from end to end one of these days, but my time up there is to short and filled with music, friends, and beer
    My thoughts exactly!

One year I did take a day to ride from one end of the island to the other in the Biking for Breakfast Challenge. http://www.pei.bikingforbreakfast.com/ of course this was the year in poured rain all day with a headwind... it was still a great time - and beautiful... but I couldn't help thinking it would have been more epic on the rail trail.

It looks like I'll be in PEI last two weeks of July this year if anyone is interested in going for a ride on some back roads. Also I could be talked into taking the ferry to Cape Breton for the Across the Highlands Challenge... always wanted to ride that... http://velocapebreton.ca/?q=system/f...pdate+%231.pdf

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I didn't know about the biking for breakfast thing, that's on the first day of my vacation but unfortunately I'll be spending 10h in the car driving up from Boston. I'll be up there the 6th for 2 weeks and hopefully riding almost daily around North Cape or doing the Confed trail between Tignish-Alberton. That, and eating my weight in lobster and new potatoes.

mtbr member
    That, and eating my weight in lobster and new potatoes.
    Ha! You know what PEI is all about! and I hear you about the drive...14 hours on back roads from Vermont with 3 kids and 2 dogs and I don't even want to look at the car while I'm in PEI.

If the timing is right you could pedal over to rt 12 in Tignish and cheer on the BfB peleton while they're still fresh.

Have a great vacation.... if you find some good backroad loops let me know....

Economy Stimulator
    Sep 2004
    Well, I look forward to doing the bike4breakky in the coming years, as i will be heading the siren call of PEI (my wife's home and native (is)land). I will spend the next 4 years searching near and far for elusive singletrack but mostly just taking the major out on the back roads during the three weeks of summer.

So long Onterrible!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by teebor76xc View Post
    Well, I look forward to doing the bike4breakky in the coming years, as i will be heading the siren call of PEI (my wife's home and native (is)land). I will spend the next 4 years searching near and far for elusive singletrack but mostly just taking the major out on the back roads during the three weeks of summer.

So long Onterrible!
    If any of you are ever around Skinners Pond look me up!

Economy Stimulator
    Sep 2004
    If any of you are ever around Skinners Pond look me up!
    I'm really not sure if anyone is ever around skinner's pond, but it has been noted.

Will be moving to Ch'town in Sept. just in time for winter.

Members who have read this thread: 0