Collingwood (3 stage/Kolapore) Ride Buddy/Guide/Group July 7-9- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2017

Collingwood (3 stage/Kolapore) Ride Buddy/Guide/Group July 7-9

Hi!

I'm renting a cottage in Collingwood with my family from July 7-9. I was really hoping to get out and ride 3 stage or kolapore at least once. I don't have a lot of time and was hoping to not spend my entire ride trying to find my way around.

Any local individuals or groups around on those days willing to show a new guy around?

I have been riding for 2 seasons and I'd consider myself an intermediate-ish rider. I primarily ride the Don Valley, so it is my only reference. In the Don, I find most of the blue trails fairly tame; I have mastered some of the black trails and struggle my way through others. I ride a 27.5" hardtail. I'm in good shape and can usually get through 2+ hours of straight riding without much trouble. I'm not looking for anything to crazy/epic... just not to get lost!

In terms of time, I'm pretty flexible on those dates. If anyone is willing to help out, I'd really appreciate it! Post ride beers on me!

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    What happened to this thread? Did you find a buddy to ride at 3 stages?

Sent from my F3213 using Tapatalk

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
    If you choose Kolapore, go past it up to Ravenna. Pop into the general store there and buy a map. With that you can ride in there and not get lost. All intersections are marked with numbered posts that correspond to the map. You'd be fine on your own but ride carefully...it can get quite technical (rocks) and if you crash hard it could be hours before someone comes along.

likes to rides bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pucker Factor View Post
    Pop into the general store there and buy a map... You'd be fine on your own but ride carefully...it can get quite technical (rocks) and if you crash hard it could be hours before someone comes along.
    This. Get the map and buy some delicious baked goods & treats!

Kolapore is a bit unique in that it's an XC ski network, so you'll find that most of the climbs and descents are "straight", but that means in the winter when there's snow on the ground. In summer, the singletrack is narrow and meandering and the grass hides so many nasty rocks you wouldn't believe it... be super careful not to cut corners or drift wide because you WILL smash into things you can't see. The downs can be FAST but I've only been there a couple times so it's really hard to let loose!

That said, it's pretty awesome terrain and a completely different experience than 3 Stage which is just a couple roads away. Way better in the wet, too.

3 Stage sucks because it's not marked at all and it's tough to find maps or good GPS tracks. 3 Stage rocks because, it's 3 Stage... so much variety and elevation and punishment and you just want to go back for more!

Klookle, if you're still reading this, go to Kamikaze in Collingwood and Squire Johns near Craigleith and ask about the trails. You might find a Saturday group ride to tag along with. And if you're hungry, go to the Alphorn Restaurant across the road from Squires and load-up on schnitzel...
    also known as Plaid Shirt Guy...

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Thanks all for the suggestions.

Quick update for anyone that happens upon this thread in the future.

I was out for dinner and randomly happened upon a flyer for Rad Adventures (https://www.radadventures.ca), which offers guided rides in 3 stage. I gave them a call on Friday morning and Dave got back to me in a couple hours. He had a couple groups booked for the next day, but offered to personally take me out for a ride in 3 stage himself.

WHAT A RIDE! Dave knew the trails unbelievably well. He took me through an awesome cross-section of what 3 stage had to offer - fast and flowly, technical climbs and down hills, etc. He gave me lots of space so that I didn't feel held up, but was never so far ahead that I felt lost.

Most importantly, I spent the entire time of my one chance to ride 3 stage actually riding, instead of bumbling around lost and constantly checking a map/GPS.

If anyone is looking for a guide to 3 stage, give Dave a call.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Klookle View Post
    Thanks all for the suggestions.

Quick update for anyone that happens upon this thread in the future.

I was out for dinner and randomly happened upon a flyer for Rad Adventures (https://www.radadventures.ca), which offers guided rides in 3 stage. I gave them a call on Friday morning and Dave got back to me in a couple hours. He had a couple groups booked for the next day, but offered to personally take me out for a ride in 3 stage himself.

WHAT A RIDE! Dave knew the trails unbelievably well. He took me through an awesome cross-section of what 3 stage had to offer - fast and flowly, technical climbs and down hills, etc. He gave me lots of space so that I didn't feel held up, but was never so far ahead that I felt lost.

Most importantly, I spent the entire time of my one chance to ride 3 stage actually riding, instead of bumbling around lost and constantly checking a map/GPS.

If anyone is looking for a guide to 3 stage, give Dave a call.
    thanks for the link. I will call him to book a ride.

mtbr member
    Man, I could have used the info in this thread this past weekend.
    Went riding alone in Kolapore. I was using the trailforks app on my phone. It was helpful, but would have been great with someone who knows the trails. Seems the trails on the app/map have names, but the posted signs don't have those names. I wanted to do one big loop, so, from the parking lot, I started to the left of the trail system. It was so muddy and swampy, and it was all made worse by the ATVs that dig into the muddy trails. Some areas were knee-high in mud.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatshowiroll View Post
    Man, I could have used the info in this thread this past weekend.
    Went riding alone in Kolapore. I was using the trailforks app on my phone. It was helpful, but would have been great with someone who knows the trails. Seems the trails on the app/map have names, but the posted signs don't have those names. I wanted to do one big loop, so, from the parking lot, I started to the left of the trail system. It was so muddy and swampy, and it was all made worse by the ATVs that dig into the muddy trails. Some areas were knee-high in mud.
    I thought 3 stages should supposed to be mountain biking and hiking trails. Why are ATV allowed on the trails?

Sent from my F3213 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I said Kolapore.

9 lives
    I love riding in Kolapore. We usually do a ride there every fall when it's less buggy.

Collingwood (3 stage/Kolapore) Ride Buddy/Guide/Group July 7-9-14656367_1820261528218290_543914962060636939_n.jpg

Collingwood (3 stage/Kolapore) Ride Buddy/Guide/Group July 7-9-14666124_10154756313744170_3122378771175975524_n.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies